Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask a stupid question thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      04-14-2011 01:03 PM #141
      I want to put the Titan Black Leather seats from a GTI in a TDI - can this be done? And does it matter if I have a 4 door TDI? Do I need the seats from a 4 door GTI or will the 2 door have the exact same seats/mount points?

Also if I have the heated seat option will that functionality still be retained? Or is it a different connector?

BAM!

2. Former Advertiser TurboPaul@MillenniumVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2005 GLI BMP 6MT 1999 Yukon SLT
      04-14-2011 01:11 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
      I want to put the Titan Black Leather seats from a GTI in a TDI - can this be done? And does it matter if I have a 4 door TDI? Do I need the seats from a 4 door GTI or will the 2 door have the exact same seats/mount points?

Also if I have the heated seat option will that functionality still be retained? Or is it a different connector?

BAM!
      They will fit, same set up, same chassis. But get the 4dr GTI seats, since the 2dr has the flip forward seat for rear access, and the 2dr has manual recline, while the 4dr has power recline. Heated seats are the same plugs.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      04-14-2011 02:04 PM #143
      most excellent! thank you!

04-17-2011 12:29 PM #144
      does anyone know the color code for blue graphite metallic?
      KvLT

5. 04-17-2011 03:37 PM #145
      Will a s3 intercooler for a mk5 fit a mk6 gti? I am guessing its the same.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-17-2011 04:07 PM #146
      At which service intervals does the dealer change out the spark plugs? I kinda want to change out the plugs to get a set of colder ones, but not until the dealer gives me a free set..
      APR | RAI | GHL | KW | BBS
      Build Thread

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-18-2011 05:02 PM #147
      What is a good method for cleaning the dash? I tried armorall and it was terrible. It left a shine that was uneven.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      04-18-2011 05:10 PM #148
      I use windex without ammonia to clean the dash with a micro fiber towel (separate towel for the cluster so it doesn't scratch), then use a non-greasy detail spray if anything at all. I'm not a fan of a blindingly shiny dash. The meguires is the same stuff Griots uses, just with a different smell.

Follow my MK1 build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      04-18-2011 06:31 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboPaul@MillenniumVW View Post
      They will fit, same set up, same chassis. But get the 4dr GTI seats, since the 2dr has the flip forward seat for rear access, and the 2dr has manual recline, while the 4dr has power recline. Heated seats are the same plugs.

Good to know also on my list of things to do

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      04-18-2011 07:57 PM #150
      Ok, time for my stupid question(s).

First off, I have a 2011 SE with Convenience. It says I have a six speaker sound system. I see 4 speaker sets, basically each door has its own woofer and tweeter, but in the front the tweeter is built into the pillar. Are they counting woofers and tweeters separately? If so then that would bring the total to 8. If they aren't then where are the other 2 speakers?

Related to the first question, my car came with the RCD-310. Can I swap in a RCD-510 and everything will work? The bluetooth stuff, aux-in, ipod connection, etc?

And last, do our cars really not need oil changes for 10k miles? I've always changed my oil every 3k miles, but I've never had a car newer then a 2000 before, so a lot may have changed in 11 years. I've even heard you should change the oil after the first 1,000 miles on a new car, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that.

Vehicles
      Past: 94 Golf Sport, 98 VR GTI | Current: 2010 CSG GTI
      04-18-2011 10:10 PM #151
      There were some threads a while back about testing the oil after 10K on it. It seem to be fine, from the findings on that the one guy ended up deciding he would do it about every 8K instead of holding out for 10K.

I assume that changing it more often would not hurt anything more than your wallet.

I have my own stupid question to ask. For the city light on the halogen headlights(GTI), do they twist out or just pull?

MK3 Parts for sale - 3-bar Bonrath, Hella OEM Smoked NA Turns(1 mint/new set, 1 used set), Autotech 8V adj camgear(new in package)
      MKV parts for sale - OEM R32 Smoked Tails (New in box), Drivers gear silver Jetta tails
      PM me with questions/offers

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-18-2011 10:12 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by naDintheHat View Post

I have my own stupid question to ask. For the city light on the halogen headlights(GTI), do they twist out or just pull?
      With my experience, I just twisted and pulled and the lights came out
      APR | RAI | GHL | KW | BBS
      Build Thread

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-19-2011 12:27 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post
      I use windex without ammonia to clean the dash with a micro fiber towel (separate towel for the cluster so it doesn't scratch), then use a non-greasy detail spray if anything at all. I'm not a fan of a blindingly shiny dash. The meguires is the same stuff Griots uses, just with a different smell.

Excellent. Thanks!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-19-2011 12:31 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by jettasrcool View Post
      Ok, time for my stupid question(s).

First off, I have a 2011 SE with Convenience. It says I have a six speaker sound system. I see 4 speaker sets, basically each door has its own woofer and tweeter, but in the front the tweeter is built into the pillar. Are they counting woofers and tweeters separately? If so then that would bring the total to 8. If they aren't then where are the other 2 speakers?

Related to the first question, my car came with the RCD-310. Can I swap in a RCD-510 and everything will work? The bluetooth stuff, aux-in, ipod connection, etc?

And last, do our cars really not need oil changes for 10k miles? I've always changed my oil every 3k miles, but I've never had a car newer then a 2000 before, so a lot may have changed in 11 years. I've even heard you should change the oil after the first 1,000 miles on a new car, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that.
      RCD 310 to 510: Getting ready to do this myself. Check out this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ht=rcd+310+510

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      04-19-2011 12:37 PM #155
      Can you install HIDs in a 2012 GLI or not? IF so, how much does that typically cost to do? Its really the only thing i feel the GLI is missing.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI White, 1984 GTI White
      04-19-2011 12:43 PM #156
      So when a car's suspension is changed or modified, it usually needs an alignment to adjust camber and toe. So my question is with an air ride suspension that can adjust this so frequently, how does it handle these alignment issues?

Vehicles
      bagged CSG MK6 GTI
      04-19-2011 12:46 PM #157
      here's my stupid question:

the noise pipe on the GTI's....what's its purpose? i assume it makes...noise? but why in God's name is that necessary?? i'm pretty sure i read somewhere it's only on the 2010 GTI's, and not on the 2011's, right? I'm thinking about getting a 2011 and don't want that sh** on my car if it has no point haha

thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      don't even look at the rick ross mobile.
      2011 CSG GTI DSG | follow me @_zkeach on Instagram!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      04-19-2011 01:01 PM #158
      It was a marketing gimmick to let the driver hear more engine noise. Nothing else. They have delete plugs to remove it.
      Follow my MK1 build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      04-19-2011 01:49 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by twstand View Post
      RCD 310 to 510: Getting ready to do this myself. Check out this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ht=rcd+310+510
      Thanks. It looks like it should be a simple swap then since I already have the fin antenna, other then needing the security code but I already expected that.

I also answered my other own stupid question about the speakers. It turns out the back doors have no tweeters, so 4 woofers + 2 tweeters = 6 speakers. A bit disappointing it doesnt have the tweeters in the back like my old MKIV, but who cares about the back seat passengers?

I have another new stupid question though. Has anyone else with a Jetta notice that when you use the windshield wiper spray, you can smell it inside the car? It's not a bad smell or anything, just a little strange I thought.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      04-27-2011 12:44 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboPaul@MillenniumVW View Post
      There is an indent on the face of the drivers door handle. When you get out of the car and close the doors, just touch your finger there, and it will lock the car, as long as the key is not in the car. I always use two fingers, and give a little swipe across from back to front, seems to work better. It will not lock itself if you just walk away. On the MkVI Jetta SEL only, you can hold your fingers there also and roll up the widows and close the sunroof. But this only works on the Jetta.

i've tried this several times already and it doesn't work... i will try the swipe later though and report back! thanks so much.

i have programmed my key to close/open the windows if i hold down the lock button. love this.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      04-27-2011 12:46 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post

they have a quik detailer for interiors only, it's amazing.

Vehicles
      bagged CSG MK6 GTI
      04-27-2011 08:38 PM #162
      i know LowerThanZimmy just recently installed a WOT box in his GTI, but.... (here comes the stupid question) what the heck does it do?? i mean, i deduced that it holds the revs at wide open throttle for a period of time, but is there any benefit or reasoning for having this? i tried to do a search on here, but all i came up with were fs threads & those didn't really help me learn anything haha. i don't know why, but for some reason this has just puzzled the **** out of me haha
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      don't even look at the rick ross mobile.
      2011 CSG GTI DSG | follow me @_zkeach on Instagram!

Vehicles
      Past: 94 Golf Sport, 98 VR GTI | Current: 2010 CSG GTI
      04-27-2011 08:47 PM #163
      Someone correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding the WOT box is designed to allow no lift shifting. basically it allows the gas to be on the floor during a shift, by holding the rpms.
      Last edited by naDintheHat; 04-27-2011 at 08:52 PM.

MK3 Parts for sale - 3-bar Bonrath, Hella OEM Smoked NA Turns(1 mint/new set, 1 used set), Autotech 8V adj camgear(new in package)
      MKV parts for sale - OEM R32 Smoked Tails (New in box), Drivers gear silver Jetta tails
      PM me with questions/offers

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE, 2010 Passat
      04-27-2011 09:29 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by jettasrcool View Post
      Thanks. It looks like it should be a simple swap then since I already have the fin antenna, other then needing the security code but I already expected that.

I also answered my other own stupid question about the speakers. It turns out the back doors have no tweeters, so 4 woofers + 2 tweeters = 6 speakers. A bit disappointing it doesnt have the tweeters in the back like my old MKIV, but who cares about the back seat passengers?

I have another new stupid question though. Has anyone else with a Jetta notice that when you use the windshield wiper spray, you can smell it inside the car? It's not a bad smell or anything, just a little strange I thought.

Yes I noticed the smell on mine also! Strange the vents must be super close!!

Now for my stupid question!!! I took my Jetta in today to have the Recall so I can blow my big zzz sissy horn without stalling lol, anyway I stopes for dinner at Sonic and my windows don't auto up and down 1 touch anymore except 1 drivers side rear! WTF?? Can the be turned on and off 1 touch? The windows work but not 1 touch! I love the 1 touch so do I have to go back to the dealer? See told you a stupid question!
      2011 Jetta SE Tornado Red, 2010 Passat Reflex Silver

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 Prestige
      05-09-2011 01:58 PM #165
      is it bad to use engine braking (downshifting to a stop) on a DSG?

05-09-2011 07:13 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewjchen View Post
      is it bad to use engine braking (downshifting to a stop) on a DSG?
      Gosh, I hope not. Considering it does it by itself in "D", I would think that it's OK.
      Last edited by sfpegasus; 05-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2007 CW Rabbit 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

Vehicles
      Mine: Bagged TR '11 GTI His: '08 WRX
      05-09-2011 08:08 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by N8racer View Post
      Now for my stupid question!!! I took my Jetta in today to have the Recall so I can blow my big zzz sissy horn without stalling lol, anyway I stopes for dinner at Sonic and my windows don't auto up and down 1 touch anymore except 1 drivers side rear! WTF?? Can the be turned on and off 1 touch? The windows work but not 1 touch! I love the 1 touch so do I have to go back to the dealer? See told you a stupid question!
      There's a setting in the MFD for this, at least in the 2011 GTI. I believe it's under "settings".

Vehicles
      05-10-2011 10:05 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by thebestever View Post
      i've tried this several times already and it doesn't work... i will try the swipe later though and report back! thanks so much.

i have programmed my key to close/open the windows if i hold down the lock button. love this.
      update! i have finally figured out how to lock the car... you do have to swype your finger across the "button"... but it didn't start to work until we claybared the car.

Vehicles
      2 '81 sciroccos, 2011 GTI, '89 montero RIP :(
      05-10-2011 02:01 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by N8racer View Post
      Yes I noticed the smell on mine also! Strange the vents must be super close!!

Well the inside air intake is at the bottom of the windshield, so getting the washer fluid smell is not difficult.

As for your windows, sometimes the pinch protection gets triggered and the 1 up and down does not work. Just roll the all the way down and then all the way back up and 1 touch should be reset.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG CSG
      05-10-2011 02:27 PM #170
      update! i have finally figured out how to lock the car... you do have to swype your finger across the "button"... but it didn't start to work until we claybared the car.
      I was talking to a car detailer in my area and he said if you keep up your waxing you shouldn't clay bar because it's very abrasive to the paint. He does have a point as the wrong clay baring technique can cause more scratches than anything else. Keep up the wax and you'll be fine.
      2010 GTI 4DR CSGray | APR Stage 2 ECU | Carbonio CAI Stage 2 | APR Downpipe | APR FMIC | Milltek 100mm GT CBE Non-Res | ST Coilovers | Whiteline ALK | H&R 26mm Front / 24mm Rear Sway Bar | HPA Pendulum Mount | UNIbrace XB & UB | iForged RS Equip Black | Continetal ExtremeContact DW | Hawk HPS Pads

Vehicles
      05-10-2011 03:48 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by randy915 View Post
      I was talking to a car detailer in my area and he said if you keep up your waxing you shouldn't clay bar because it's very abrasive to the paint. He does have a point as the wrong clay baring technique can cause more scratches than anything else. Keep up the wax and you'll be fine.
      thanks for the advice but i have not had any issues with previous cars and clay baring. i definitely know what i'm doing. as with any detailing, if you are not careful you can cause swirl marks and scratches... i'm kind of crazy about that stuff. you can not detail your car with one micro-fiber cloth. i usually go through a pack and a half every time.
      Last edited by thebestever; 05-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Vehicles
      a van
      05-10-2011 04:02 PM #172
      thanks for the advice but i have not had any issues with previous cars and clay baring. i definitely know what i'm doing. as with any detailing, if you are not careful you can cause swirl marks and scratches... i'm kind of crazy about that stuff. you can not detail your car with one micro-fiber cloth. i usually go through a pack and a half every time.
      that's kind of OCD ... but i understand
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      05-10-2011 06:12 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      that's kind of OCD ... but i understand
      i'm totally ocd about it. i can not stand the swirl marks. but now i have a white car, so maybe only a pack at a time.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      05-10-2011 06:37 PM #174
      i'm totally ocd about it. i can not stand the swirl marks. but now i have a white car, so maybe only a pack at a time.
      I want to trade in my DBM for CW.

Vehicles
      05-11-2011 09:30 AM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      I want to trade in my DBM for CW.
      i had a british racing green with black top previously... it was a bitch to keep the scratches and swirls away.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast