Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TSI coil packs

1. 02-28-2011 04:58 PM #1
      ok so my car has 30k miles on it. 09 tsi. mods are listed below.

one of my coil packs went out like 3k~ miles ago. and yesterday on my way back from my auto cross event my check engine light blinked (misfire) on one ocassion. and under load when shifting from 3rd to 4th it like stutters (same thing it was doing right before my first coil pack went out)

so this means in 3k miles i would have had 2 coil packs gone bad.

i did some research and found out that the latest revision coil packs are F revision and according to my VIN (from what the VW parts place said) my car should already have them already.

so my question is, is anyone else seeing this issue? and does how much your modded affect the life cycle of these coil packs? (advance timing and such). ive been looking for after market ones but i dont believe anyone makes them. im kind of getting irritated with it. if i replace this one, its gonna feel like a count down for the next two to go bad.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, refer to sig for mods.
      AWE k04 *awesome*, AWE intake, AWE turbo back exhaust, AWE turbo outlet pipe, AWE vent boost gauge, KONI yellows,
      S3 intercooler, BSH engine/transmission mounts, BSH catch can, DSG, BSH 27 MM RSB and End Links, GIAC TUNED!!<3
      = 332 Wheel HP and 330 Wheel Torque

Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI: APR STG2
      02-28-2011 05:48 PM #2
      I had 3 replaced by 8k miles. I'm up to 16k and havent had any problems since. I have had this problem with every turbo VW/Audi I have owned.

3. 02-28-2011 07:56 PM #3
      at 52k, replaced all 4 due to misfires already.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI / 2012 Audi A4 / PAST 1999.5 MKIV Jetta / 2000 MKIV Jetta / 2004 B6 Audi A4
      02-28-2011 08:22 PM #4
      was having coilpack toubles on my A4 a while back ( which then turned out to be a recall due to so many others with the same problem) and i've found in my experience that if one goes out you're best to just change them all, because they will start to fail one after another and it gets old replacing them every so often and having driving issues

5. 02-28-2011 08:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by v-dubIV View Post
      was having coilpack toubles on my A4 a while back ( which then turned out to be a recall due to so many others with the same problem) and i've found in my experience that if one goes out you're best to just change them all, because they will start to fail one after another and it gets old replacing them every so often and having driving issues
      the only thing is that the dealership will only replace the failing one. so id have to pay out of pocket for those extra ones. guess i should do it, since its not much.
      AWE k04 *awesome*, AWE intake, AWE turbo back exhaust, AWE turbo outlet pipe, AWE vent boost gauge, KONI yellows,
      S3 intercooler, BSH engine/transmission mounts, BSH catch can, DSG, BSH 27 MM RSB and End Links, GIAC TUNED!!<3

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      03-01-2011 09:23 AM #6
      im at 47k and havent had any issues
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

7. 03-01-2011 10:16 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by stanielz View Post
      the only thing is that the dealership will only replace the failing one. so id have to pay out of pocket for those extra ones. guess i should do it, since its not much.
      Unless your dealer is awesome. I had misfires on 1 cylinder, they replaced all 4 for me.

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      01-10-2012 04:10 AM #8
      Not sure if this makes any sense, but I was told that maybe the stock spark plugs are getting hotter than normal with the k04 + tune, making coil packs fail.

I've had two fail within 1000 miles from each other, and a third one fail recently. Luckily I've had replacements to change it on the spot (D revisions).

I've since upgraded to NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs, which are one range colder from what I've read and coil packs are holding strong. I'm at 24k miles with 7k on the APR k04 and supporting mods.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Lux+ DSG, 2001 Corvette 6spd Z51, 2010 Audi S4
      01-10-2012 02:12 PM #9
      More boost equals higher combustion chamber pressure which requires a higher voltage to initiate the spark. A coil with marginal insulation will arc internally before the plug spark arc initiates, ruining the coil.

Vehicles
      Candy White '10 GTI 6M
      01-10-2012 03:40 PM #10
      46,000 miles, 85% of that being Stage II driving.

Had a coilpack fail in Sept. Car started to misfire. It was just after I hit 36k, I was terrified that I had just blown my motor. Luckily, just a coil (my first in the world of troublesome VW coil problems). Another one failed a few months later. Luckily I had ordered 4 I was going to drop in after cleaning my intake valves. No problems since.

Car pulls incredibly hard (well it was not so much recently, still debugging a failed rear o2 sensor). Not sure how much of that was valve cleaning vs. new coils but... it's definitely something that you gotta worry about on these pigs.
      EVE's Build Thread • APR Stage II / BSH RACE / B&B 3" / DG S6 / B&G RS2 / MOTUL / VMR

facebook twitter wheelflip • PM me for VAGCOM in NoVA

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      01-10-2012 04:23 PM #11
      Ignore the sparkplugs

Daily | Weekend | Project

Vehicles
      11 APR K04 GTI, 03 Z1000
      01-10-2012 09:57 PM #12
      I just ordered some NGK BKR7EIX's also. I hear some misfiring when i hold it in 3rd gear around 3k rpm while driving and also sometimes have boost cuts when i downshift from 6th to 4th and I'm hoping that is do to timing because that plugs are getting too hot. Never had a CEL for anything though and last time I checked my plugs they literally looked brand new (white). Sorry no info on coilpacks..I know my 1.8t went through a million of them before I switched to the Audi ones which solved all my problems. I'll chime back in on what the new plugs end up doing.
      11 GTI APR K04
      Build Thread
      Best ET: 12.8
      Best Trap: 113

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      01-10-2012 11:23 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      Ignore the sparkplugs

I have the regular 915, not the 915 A. Thanks for the post, I will keep that in mind when ordering new ones.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi A3 2.0TQ
      01-11-2012 02:22 AM #14
      I just had one of my coils go out at around 32K. I also have a K04 with about 7K. Replace all 4 plugs and coils. Car is puuuring on all 4.

15. 01-11-2012 11:56 AM #15
      i forgot I made this thread lol.

but theres some good info here.

I haven't driven my hard too often in the past couple of months and haven't had any issues.

So i think power and coile pack life cycle are directly inversely related.