Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shtboxs' Lazy/Facepalm/Pointless Build thread pt3

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      11-05-2011 08:48 PM #36
      thank you all for the comments...much appreciated

the ecodes i had were ****ty dj autos...theyre absolutely terrible. i had to reseal one of them since the glass fell off.

steve...if youre serious about dicking around playing cars, ill see what i can do about coming out for a few days...operation bay shave id need to find aplace to stay though since my brother doesnt live out there anymore.

aaaaaaand more facepalms
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      95 540i/6, 95 Cabrio VR6, 79 Scirocco 16v
      11-07-2011 11:54 AM #37
      Lookin good! Im on the hunt for a mk2 to swap my vr into... seems like my friends are all selling their mk5s and getting mk2 vr6s. I miss having a mk2! So tired of the brio.
      Friends don't let friends say "Em kay"

"Prius buyers are required to suck at life"

Vehicles
      2011 TRD Tacoma. Fake GLI. MK2 Unicorn
      11-07-2011 11:56 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Shtbox View Post
      steve...if youre serious about dicking around playing cars, ill see what i can do about coming out for a few days...operation bay shave id need to find aplace to stay though since my brother doesnt live out there anymore.
      this would be fun.
      Crooked Euros - Powered by Pabst and whiskey

FS - 15" BBS Motorsports parts -Message me or search my FS threads

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      11-09-2011 06:07 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by baupfhor View Post
      Lookin good! Im on the hunt for a mk2 to swap my vr into... seems like my friends are all selling their mk5s and getting mk2 vr6s. I miss having a mk2! So tired of the brio.
      kinda want to get into a mk1 just for that reason. granted i know that when i first saw a mk2 i instantly fell in love took a bit longer for mk1s, but with all these kids getting into mk2s it almost seems as if its just because its a trend and nothing more.

i have been coming up with so many ideas for the bay, its KILLING ME to not have a garage right now
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 03:37 PM #40
      kinda want to get into a mk1 just for that reason. granted i know that when i first saw a mk2 i instantly fell in love took a bit longer for mk1s, but with all these kids getting into mk2s it almost seems as if its just because its a trend and nothing more.

i have been coming up with so many ideas for the bay, its KILLING ME to not have a garage right now
      Yeah it looks like its a trend starting all over again with the prices dropping. I have a caged mk1 rocco 16v that id really like to do something with, just too many projects to really focus on one.... and no garage as well. Right now the 540 is my DD and obsession.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      11-11-2011 04:27 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by baupfhor View Post
      Right now the 540 is my DD and obsession.
      Lunchtime?

Vehicles
      11-17-2011 03:08 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      Lunchtime?
      Yup, they havent re-blocked vwvortex at work Everything else is blocked so ive been coming on here more often to pass the time.

Vehicles
      '14 Cruze, 1.4t 6spd, '99.5 Jetta 2.0 5spd
      12-13-2011 10:25 PM #43
      word from a bird told me this thing is going bi bi
      Crooked Euros - Home of the game "Who's in my mouth?"

Vehicles
      12-13-2011 11:13 PM #44
      the birdie sed bi bi

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      12-13-2011 11:19 PM #45
      bi bi

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      12-14-2011 06:12 AM #46
      i cannot confirm or deny these allegations
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      12-14-2011 12:04 PM #47
      bi bi

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      01-05-2012 04:57 PM #48
      its been a while since i updated, nothing really going on yet. just plotting and planning my next moves. i can deny those above allegations, i have decided to keep it and move forward with it (for the 20th time)

so heres whats gonna happen. Konigs are pretty much sold. if not, they will be soon ($600 is a steal of a price). the whole poke/stretched tire thing is out, kinda sick of it. function over form now. i have two sets of wheels in mind, one is readily available and im so close to pulling the trigger, the other option is grabbing a set of Compo MO1675s from fifteen52 in white for a little less $$. heres the rest:

throw on the rear disc swap i have (still looking for stubbies...anyone?)
      relocate the battery to the trunk. i got everything, finally picked up a weller p2kc too
      somewhat shaved/cleaned up bay. got another motor harness so i can extend it
      raise it up slightly to accommodate for the 16s and 205/40 Falken Azenis
      o2j shift box mounted inside the cabin, o2j shift tower
      big bumpers with a functional twist, maybe flares...not too sure yet
      short runner/288s/estyles header/cat delete
      coolWATER

14. 01-05-2012 05:14 PM #49
      nice to see you aren't abandoning it. Are you only considering 16's or is the other wheel option a 15" wheel? Just curious if the move to 16's is based on the function over form statement.

Vehicles
      1986 Golf MK2 CL
      01-05-2012 05:20 PM #50
      Hey man, if you dont mind me asking.... What axel/spindle/arm combination are you running for the 4 lug VR???? I'm hoping to keep the 4 lug.... and VR plus suspension... but not sure I can get away with it.

Thanks boss!

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      01-06-2012 06:42 PM #51
      im really only considering 16s at the moment to fill up the wheel wells. 15s are a bit too small for my taste, though you can argue that is nothing more than additional weight. the 16s with 205/40s will add about a half inch in diameter which will be perfect IMO.

ca180, im currently running all mk2 stuff. mk2 100mm axles, mk2 tie rods, mk2 control arms, mk2 9.4 knuckles. if you want plus suspension and 4 lug, go for vr control arms, vr tie rods (i think...not sure if they will fit in the knuckle) mk2/3 knuckles, mk2 hubs. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong but i think thats what you gotta do for 4 lug with plus.

just picked this up on the super cheap today. brand new, still in the wrap/original box not my first choice of short runners, but trust me, it was CHEAP. now on the hunt for a mk4 fuel rail

couple more pics

new weller p2kc! finally a soldering iron

for this...

gotta get rollin on the bay cleaning!

corrado lower rad hose and fan mounting kits...gotta undo the 'looks terrible but works' sorta ****. i was too lazy this summer, or i was too thrilled with actually dailying it to get this done...you choose
      coolWATER

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Le Bomber.
      01-06-2012 10:20 PM #52
      gotta get rollin on the bay cleaning!
      Did you rent or buy the tool? If you bought it you already know my next question
      Fifteen52's Official Facebook Page!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      tl;dr = bitches be crazy
      If I have a post on here that has a dead pic PM me, I selfishly reorganized my photobucket in boredom.

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      01-09-2012 06:48 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Did you rent or buy the tool? If you bought it you already know my next question
      yes i know your next question, and maaaaaaaybe...im not to keen on lending out my tools even to family

went to the JY with a buddy yesterday and picked up some good stuff. got a set of 15x7 et25ish 5x130 epsilons, all straight but need a refinishing. only one of them is very slightly curbed, which could be sanded out. grabbed the glovebox door (with broken off nubs, of course ) with the porsche logo'd latch. also picked up an o2j shift box off a 2005 gti. SO PISSED because i neglected to bring my triple squares. i couldnt get the ****ing shift tower of course i tried with a torx bit since i was so desperate, and of course it didnt work and last but not least a driver side stub axle from a rear disc mk3. now all i need is a passenger side to get the rear disc swap going.

so back to the epsilons; with tiny adapters i could be at et10. the only way id be able to rock them is with a set of 165s, which im not entirely sure i want to do. that really ****s up the plans of going motorsport-esque. or i could sell them. hmmm what to do...if anyone knows of anywhere that i can get a set of smaller barrels and larger lips, id definitely keep them and rock em. but the problem is just that...finding the barrels and lips.

ive also been doing a bit of research on the SPA manifold and apparently i will have to run an external oil cooler. theres clearance issues with running the stock one as i wont be able to get the TB on. i might just hold onto it until i see for myself, as i only heard it from one guy. so who knows. if i do need an external, the manifold will definitely be going up for sale. i really dont want to drop that much into it. but who knows

coolWATER

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      02-20-2012 09:51 AM #54
      so...little update there. epsilons sold, ****ty offset that wouldnt work, so i picked these up:

15x6.5 et40, the white one is a 14x6. 205/50 azenis will be ordered later today from citytireonline.com function over form this year, however i still want to do a semi shaved bay. i also picked up a set of big bumpers and a new sunroof assembly, but the rebars dont have the tow hooks. still on the hunt for an 02J shift tower. gonna make a trip to the JY wednesday or sunday to find rebars and that tower.

really hoping the weather starts to turn soon as i REALLY need to get working on this. gonna buy some wire soon to start extending the motor harness, and i really want to get the battery relocation done
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      1971 ghia, 2002 gti(rip), 1989 Jetta Gli
      02-20-2012 10:54 AM #55
      really glad you decided to keep her and not sell. cant wait to see them oz's mounted up

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      02-20-2012 10:59 AM #56
      you gonna grab the rear or what?
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      1971 ghia, 2002 gti(rip), 1989 Jetta Gli
      02-20-2012 11:02 AM #57
      yes sir the guy filed them on friday so check should fingers cross be here very soon. got that zender kit you gott check it out one of theses days

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      03-07-2012 04:44 PM #58
      update, wheels and tires on since it was such a beatufil day. picked up some 195/50 dunlop star specs for em. its amazing how a slight difference in tire size makes it look in pictures. in person the wheel wells look perfectly filled, pics make it look like the 15s are tiny

next up is raising the car up about an inch and replacing the water pump. its squeaking like a bitch after only 3k miles

coolWATER

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 05:37 PM #59
      lower it

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 09:06 PM #60
      POS

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      03-07-2012 11:26 PM #61
      Please post up a review on the Star Specs. They are priced nicely, might be my next tire.

Oh, and looks nice!!

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      05-11-2012 07:06 AM #62
      update time!

lots of **** going on with life. fiance is graduating tomorrow, lots of setbacks at work but getting promoted in a week, setting up the last things for the wedding, fiance looking for a job pertaining to her degree, and trying to find a place to rent with a garage

ive had a bit of time to get a few things done that ive had planned for the car. ive always wanted to do a motorsport themed car, so heres the beginning. as long as everything goes to plan i should be able to swing my first track experience by the end of the summer

my inspiration that took a while to track down the owners build thread:

so the OZs definitely did not look right with small bumpers. the decision to switching to bigs was a no brainer. hood pins were used for easy access to the tow hooks. i used a small bumper rebar with the tow hooks on the brackets. this was one of the main reasons why i switched over to bigs TBH (and if i was sticking with smalls, euros are a must. no tow hooks though!)

working on the splitter. wish i would have taken more pics, but it was a frustrating day

well ****. how the hell did i manage to screw up the measurements? sat entirely too low. back to work...

ended up cutting a llittle over an inch off

much better

after a coat of cleaner wax i have to get this car buffed. the paint was so bad, and im confident that with a buff itll look almost new aside from all the damn dents.

i also finally swap out the 02a shift box with an 02j piece. good LORD is it so much nicer to shift. no slop, very precise. i have stubby arms so no more hunching over to shift (my back loves me for it ) no more smashing the bolsters for reverse and 5th, let alone even TRYING to get into those gears. the location in relation to the wheel feels a lot like my mk5. i wish it was a little closer, but im happy with how it sits right now. this picture was just after i had test mounted it; the bracket is painted now and there are nuts on those studs.

then i got these

and put tthem on, along with chopped up flares in the front to clear up the ugly gap between the bumper and fender. i still have to figure out a better solution, it doesnt look right. but it looks a hell of a lot better, thats for sure.

ill be brainstorming ideas for the end pieces, and im trying to find brake ducting. the ducts that came with the north vikings are pretty ****ty to say the least, so ill have to find some flexible brake ducting. i also need to figure out where the hell i can find that addition that bolts to the hub and has a pipe welded at the end, facing the rotor for the brake duct to connect to. i saw a picture of it, but i cant seem to find it again, let alone where the person got it from also on the hunt for some zender skirts. id love to make a flat bottom and a proper but humble diffuser in the rear.
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon
      05-11-2012 07:45 AM #63
      serious question.

Why did you mount your shifter tower above the tunnel and not under it? i did some trimming and got mine to fit in the inside the tunnel
      VW's the older the better
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/ <=THE BEST
      BUY MY PARTS MKII MOSTLY
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82154097

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      05-11-2012 07:50 AM #64
      The stock location has always been extremely uncomfortable for me. With the 02a stuff, I always had to hunch over to shift. I also hated that I'd always hit a bolster going into reverse or 5th. I heard the 02j rod sat a bit higher than the 02a, but I didn't feel it would be high enough. It's more of a comfort thing than anything else. I was actually going to do this with the 02a box while I was doing the swap for the same reasons, but I decided against it.
      coolWATER

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 08:07 AM #65
      racecar's

We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 12:46 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
      racecar's

when are you gonna install a vtec?

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      05-13-2012 03:38 PM #67
      coolWATER

33. 01-31-2014 12:25 AM #68
      updates?

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      01-31-2014 04:27 AM #69
      got a place with a garage in july 2012, finally. ripped it apart thinking id do a simple wire tuck, a big cleanup, and would be going turbo. that thought lasted for maybe a week until i decided to part it out and trade in my rabbit for something that i dont have to worry about or spend money on to be happy with. a lot of stuff didnt sell in a timely manor so most of the stuff that i had wound up getting thrown in the car when i had it sent off to the crusher. i preferred to junk all of the **** anyways, trying to sell **** on here is so ****ing aggravating. post something up for $200, and you got people PMing you 'ill do $25 picked up in an hour bro.'

ended up getting a 2008 passat 3.6 4motion wagon. fell into my lap, didnt even realize how rare it was until a few weeks after i got it. ive never loved a car this much. super super comfy with HPA SHS coilovers, feels like stock. this is the ultimate cruiser for me, i will never be getting rid of this car

coolWATER

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 2.0 16V, 1983 GTI 1.8 8V
      01-31-2014 03:23 PM #70
      That wagon is so sweeeeet. Looking for that same one for my next car for college
      18 with a bagged Mk2... Pretty sure I'm the only one at my school with bags...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast