Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So many cyclists

Vehicles
      2007 A3 Premium DSG
      03-16-2012 10:23 AM #141
      Loop the Lake for Literacy was a few weeks ago.http://www.loopthelakeforliteracy.org/ I did that. Had fun exept for the head wind. Gusting to 18mph. Funny when you do a circle it seems like your always heading into the wind.
      2007 A3 Premium, DSG, Lava Grey, Votex body kit, BSH PCV, Comp Catch Can, APR Stg1.

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      03-16-2012 10:27 AM #142
      This is the one I've been looking at:

https://www.facebook.com/events/175837399161031/
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG Sport Pkg - Brilliant Red; Giant TCR Advanced Road Bike
      03-16-2012 11:38 AM #143
      It's finally race season again. Got my new bike. 14 lbs of awesome.

That's me on the left

Vehicles
      03-16-2012 11:53 AM #144
      I went out on my OLD Madone last night... -that thing is SO much quicker than my new one.

New one is about 2lbs heavier than my old SL. -Chubbier and less aero, although for century rides (and longer) it's WAY more comfortable!
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

5. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      03-16-2012 04:24 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      I went out on my OLD Madone last night... -that thing is SO much quicker than my new one.

New one is about 2lbs heavier than my old SL. -Chubbier and less aero, although for century rides (and longer) it's WAY more comfortable!
      Madone FTW! Time to lose 2 lbs

Vehicles
      2008.5 A3 TSI Ibis White 6MT S-line
      03-16-2012 05:26 PM #146
      got my new whip for the season.. cervelo R3SL

2008.5 A3 | 2.0TSI | 6MT | Ibis White | Ti | OpenSky | Xenon | S-line

Brungold Build Thread
      SoCal A3s on Facebook

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2013A3 previous A3 2007
      03-16-2012 07:31 PM #147
      Great thread. I have been cycling for years. Raced many Mtb races. I started in xc racing got into downhilling. Worked my way to the semi pro ranks. Moved on to 24 hour races, 4 man teams. Man I loved the night laps. Some of my night laps were always faster then the day times. A little off the wheels these days but still have my xc bike, freeride bike, and my favorite is a giant carbon road bike. I need to dig up some old racing pictures for kicks and giggles.

8. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      03-17-2012 12:07 AM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by brungold View Post
      got my new whip for the season.. cervelo R3SL

Gotta post my ride with those awesome wheels. So glad I got those from a great guy and a great company!!!!

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-17-2012 10:09 AM #149
      It's about time to break out my mountain bike

Vehicles
      03-17-2012 10:41 AM #150
      Did 50 miles before breakfast... Weighed-in after breakfast, five pounds down on the week... Ten pounds from my target weight,.. It'd be REALLY nice to get down there before I do the Lake Okeechobee loop next month!

Vehicles
      03-17-2012 10:43 AM #151
      Oh yeah... New bike:

Older bike:

Together:

12. 03-17-2012 12:43 PM #152
      Oh yeah... New bike:

Older bike:

Together:

Nice color scheme

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      03-17-2012 01:29 PM #153
      About to hit the trail for the 1st time this year. 77 and overcast, should be a good ride.

Vehicles
      Air-to-Water VW's and 4 Rings
      03-17-2012 02:58 PM #154
      I can't believe all off the cool bikes and how much things have changed.
      I was never that big into it. I worked at a bike shop while in HS & college so I did have some better than average toys. But not to the level of some of obsessions here. It was hard enough
      Getting what I got...and at cost.

I most mtn biked but now its used mostly for going around the block with the kids.

This Space For Rent

Vehicles
      03-17-2012 09:22 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by groesche View Post
      I most mtn biked but now its used mostly for going around the block with the kids.
      My son just turned 8 years old...

2 weeks ago we had a local crit race, and they had a 10-years-and-under race.

Little fella finished first... by about 40 seconds!

Looking at his computer after the race: Maximum speed 25.3MPH. -Damn!!!

Vehicles
      Air-to-Water VW's and 4 Rings
      03-17-2012 10:54 PM #156
      Thats awesome! My 7 year old just got her 1st bike w/ gears & h-breaks. Still uneasy with all the new do-dads and larger size. Just like her old man
      This Space For Rent

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-18-2012 10:46 AM #157
      My son just turned 8 years old...

2 weeks ago we had a local crit race, and they had a 10-years-and-under race.

Little fella finished first... by about 40 seconds!

Looking at his computer after the race: Maximum speed 25.3MPH. -Damn!!!
      Little man was hauling ass!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      03-18-2012 05:17 PM #158
      Ugh I need a bike rack!

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 08:05 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by cldub View Post
      Little man was hauling ass!
      Lil' dude killin' it at the midpoint of the race:

...and at a recent triathlon:

-I made him a fold-away bike rack for quick transitions where his bike doesn't fit on the A-frame...
      Last edited by VWAddict; 03-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.

20. 03-18-2012 08:46 PM #160

-I made him a fold-away bike rack for quick transitions where his bike doesn't fit on the A-frame...
      Awesome

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-19-2012 02:36 PM #161
      Took my mtn bike out today for a quick 20 or so minute ride, my legs feel like rubber. I'm way out of shape

22. Member
      03-20-2012 12:33 AM #162
      Not on my bike, but recently came back from Andes riding down volcanoes on Trek mountain bikes, on dirt roads, rock strewn roads, muddy roads and paved roads, many with steep dropoffs. I've only ridden only road bikes and some cyclocross, so going down as fast as I can in those roads is all thrill. It was mostly downhill with some tough uphill. There is no such thing as recovery once you reached anaerobic threshold at 13,000 - 15,000 ft elevation. You just suck air non stop and it just doesn't stop for a long time.
      Last edited by LWNY; 03-20-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 08:41 AM #163
      Went out for a bike trail ride last night, saw a TREK road bike for sale at the side of the trail so stopped on my return leg to ask about it. -Aluminium/carbon Alpha 1.5.

Owner is leaving town in 2 weeks and has to sell it, it's in absolutely perfect condition. He showed me the manual, and the receipt, on which I noticed that he only got it about 6 months ago. -Apparently he just never used it, so doesn't want to pack something so large that he's never going to use...

Asking less than half what he paid for it... it's a 52CM, -I'm considering seeing if the wife might be interested in it. -It's not a women-specific-design, but I might see if she wants to go round and see if she fits on it.

I'll be ready to duck when I ask her about anther bike in the garage...

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-20-2012 09:04 AM #164
      I'll be ready to duck when I ask her about anther bike in the garage...
      Good luck!

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 09:19 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by mattA3 View Post
      Anyone in Florida. Great ride coming up May 6th. 116 mile Lake Okeechobee Loop.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/318154521575492/
      I hear there's some roadwork/construction/diversions in place at the moment... hopefully this might be sorted before then, but the Lake-O ride I was looking at has a reconnaissance ride next weekend. -I'm expecting a highly modified cue sheet.

26. 04-01-2012 12:46 AM #166
      I want to ride DH, sooo badly. Looking at the Trek Session 8. This came up in google....

http://www.sale-bikes.com/products/T...on-8-2011.html

THIS HAS GOT TO BE A SCAM RIGHT!?!?

Vehicles
      Audi A3
      04-01-2012 01:07 AM #167
      noob to road bikes here
      cant someone point me in the right direction in my search to find a good entry level bike
      or what i should look for in a bike
      Working Class Society
      Ig:@swaglessA3
      @workingclassgroup

28. 04-01-2012 01:50 AM #168
      104miles today (ALC training) Santa Clarita to Ventura and back. I forgot to press resume on my Iphone and cut the distance to 99.8 (Strava recalculated on a straight-line for the missing leg)

http://app.strava.com/rides/6006133

By the way, any pros or expert here that has advise or tip on eliminating lateral knee pain (usually get it after 40miles)

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      04-01-2012 08:43 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      By the way, any pros or expert here that has advise or tip on eliminating lateral knee pain (usually get it after 40miles)
      check the float on your cleats. what pedals are you using?
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

30. 04-01-2012 10:01 AM #170
      It's mine...
      Last edited by tommy8828; 04-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 10:22 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotuned00 View Post
      noob to road bikes here
      cant someone point me in the right direction in my search to find a good entry level bike
      or what i should look for in a bike
      I'd say start with a plan, or the BASIS of a plan.

It's probably unreasonable to think that you can buy the 'perfect' bike fist time out... one that you can use even if you get 'serious'... so if that makes sense, start with a less expensive bike from which you can learn what works for you in terms of comfort.

For road bikes the big change in equipment (between when I last bought a bike and when I started back into it) is the brake-shifters. Not having to move your hand position , and accessing gearchanges from on top of the brake hoods AND in the drop hand position is fantastic.

But... get a bike that FITS you. -Standover height... make sure that as you stand over the bike in front of the saddle, with feet comfortably on the floor.. make sure you have a little 'comfort-clearance' between your 'twig & berries' and the frame top tube. -Too little and you're going to get hurt, too much, and the bike is too small. I say two or perhaps three fingers-width of clearance between the top tube and your naughty-bits might be a reasonable range. -Without touching your broin in public, one other way to check this is to stand over the bike as if you were riding it, put one hand on the handlebars, the other behind you on the saddle, and lift the two wheels up until the top tube meets your bits... then check to see that the wheels are both clear of the ground, without there being too much daylight sorta thing.

New versus used: A new bike... bought from a local bike store- is going to come with help and advice from some more experienced bike people. -Don't just go to one bike store though, because SOMETIMES buying a new bike is like buying a new car... one sales guy out of ten might have some way of thinking that you don't agree with, or may be 'commission-driven'. -Go to a few bike shops and try a few different brands,if you're thinking new.

Used can save you some money; perhaps as much as 50% off the new cost from a 2-year old bike as an example.... but the drawback is that my local bike store offers free adjustments for life for FIRST OWNERS ONLY... and Trek guarantees bike frames for life for FIRST OWNERS ONLY... (more of an issue with Carbon though) also, warranty extensions and component coverage for Treks can only be bought within the first 6 months... but this might not be an issue on a 'starter' bike.

As for what to look at, it depends on your budget. If you're a handy wrench-twister and know a bit about bikes that's one thing, but if it's all fairly new to you, buying a cheap bike online (like a Motobecane or similar) might be trouble, because I hear so many stories about them being poorly assembled, and you also have to do quite a bit of work to put them together.

I started back out with a used bike, then once I had a good grasp of what I felt I wanted, THAT was when I spent the real 'budget'... -A used bike off something like Craigslist might be worth a try, because then you can probably sell it back on if and when you 'move on up the ladder' and recover much of the cost...

But my personal view is that a good brand with a good backup from a local bike shop is the best approach. Excellent bikes are made by Cannondale, Specialized, Trek etc. -Magna and Schwinn make heavier bikes which are sold at Wal-Mart and Target... My friend bought his son a mountain bike at Target and I met them on the local bike trail, and noticed that they'd installed the front handlebars with the fork reversed... -An easy fix, but a great example of how 'fine adjustments' don't often go hand-in-hand with 'minimum wage labor'.

I defer to others who know more than I do about this however... I'm merely a keen amateur!

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 10:33 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by tommy8828 View Post
      It's mine...
      Sweet mother of pearl... that's friggin' BEAUTIFUL!!!

Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      04-01-2012 11:45 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by tommy8828 View Post
      It's mine...
      Sexy!
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

34. 04-01-2012 12:32 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post
      check the float on your cleats. what pedals are you using?
      Thank you- I'm using SPD-SL (Looks style). A friend did say it gave him knee issues even w some degree on float, he recommended SpeedPlays. I just got some speedplays (not zero) and will try them this week

When I read up about lat knee pain- I follow suggestion and repositioned shoes out (wide) but after yesterday my left knee was just begging to quit at 80miles
      Last edited by tiptronic; 04-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      04-01-2012 12:49 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      Thank you- I'm using SPD-SL (Looks style). A friend did say it gave him knee issues even w some degree on float, he recommended SpeedPlays. I just got some speedplays (not zero) and will try them this week

When I read up about lat knee pain- I follow suggestion and repositioned shoes out (wide) but after yesterday my left knee was just begging to quit at 80miles
      sounds like you are on the right track to figuring it out! You can also get look cleats with wider arc of float. try the speedplays too.

Also, dont overlook having the right crankarm length. Some brands of bikes go right from 170 to 175mm. Im right at 6'0", and 172.5mm cranks did the trick for me, and ive been sticking with that for 25 years!
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast