Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So many cyclists

1. 03-04-2011 10:28 PM #26
      Help! from the experts-

Im now looking into a '10 CannondaleCAAD8 6 Compact or a 2011 Cannondale Synapse 7 both under $800 (the '10 CAAD8 6 is 699, while the Synapse 7 is 799)

I know it seem like a no brainer- but im looking for feedback from the experts

e

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      03-04-2011 11:01 PM #27
      Is the synase with sora and the caad 8 with tiagra. That alone justifies the difference. The difference in shift quality at the lower end is very significant. Sora->tiagra->105 are leaps above each other. At the ultegra -> dura the differences are much smaller. A synapse I think has compact geometry, which makes it a little more laid back, hence a little more comfortable. The Caad is more of a classic racer geometry. Far forward, built for speed. Also a compact crank is nice, but a triple will give you a ton more gears, if you have a ton of trouble on hills a triple may be nice. I've always had a straight double but I have friends who swear by their compact cranks.

Depends on what you want really.

3. 03-05-2011 03:12 AM #28
      Thank You for your feedback. I looked around further, I think I found a better option -

2010 CAAD9 6. Same price as 2011 Synapse. And perfect color scheme too (white/black)

Can't wait to go riding again
      Last edited by tiptronic; 03-05-2011 at 09:04 AM.

4. Member
      03-05-2011 03:30 AM #29
      For years I had a steelie. I went through 3 bottom brackets in about 5K miles. I sold it nearly for as much as I paid for it....yeah DickHeads. Have to say though it was extremely clean, never crashed too hard if only for a few flop overs that new tape wouldn't fix.

The first 5 miles I put on my Trek 1.2 (yeah, I'm a badass rock star) alum/carb fork and I was totally sold. Plus I got a three ring crank set, something I couldn't upgrade with my old frame.

The reviews I've read on the 1.2 bag on the brakes. yeah, for some reason (compound?) they are weak. Not too big a deal though. The seat gets solid thumbs down and I can see why. Its not a training/muscle tone issue, it just plain sucks. I'm in for a custom fit Specialized saddle.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      03-05-2011 10:15 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Bezor View Post
      The seat gets solid thumbs down and I can see why. Its not a training/muscle tone issue, it just plain sucks. .
      u got A3 sport seat on there?

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      03-05-2011 10:18 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      waddadeal with not liking steel frame? You got thunder thighs where you twist the stays during a sprint?
      Naaaah... nuthin like that!

It's just the bone-shaking, teeth-rattling, and jarring jolts every time I roll over a small bump. -All of the carbon frames I've ridden have been S-O-O-O-O- much more forgiving.

(hafta look after the 'family jewels', ya dig?)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

7. Member
      03-05-2011 11:08 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Naaaah... nuthin like that!

It's just the bone-shaking, teeth-rattling, and jarring jolts every time I roll over a small bump. -All of the carbon frames I've ridden have been S-O-O-O-O- much more forgiving.

(hafta look after the 'family jewels', ya dig?)

You must not be riding a butted frame. the jewels must be long gone, for all riders, especially if they ride alot of rollers or trainers.

Vehicles
      03-05-2011 08:14 PM #33
      Lugged frame... -OLD school!

A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      03-05-2011 08:16 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
      The Addict is freaking amazing.
      Thank you... thank you...

You're too kind!!!

10. Member
      03-06-2011 12:07 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post
      u got A3 sport seat on there?
      I heard TP was looking for one for his mountain bike.

11. 03-06-2011 08:41 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
      Is the synase with sora and the caad 8 with tiagra. That alone justifies the difference. The difference in shift quality at the lower end is very significant. Sora->tiagra->105 are leaps above each other. At the ultegra -> dura the differences are much smaller. A synapse I think has compact geometry, which makes it a little more laid back, hence a little more comfortable. The Caad is more of a classic racer geometry. Far forward, built for speed. Also a compact crank is nice, but a triple will give you a ton more gears, if you have a ton of trouble on hills a triple may be nice. I've always had a straight double but I have friends who swear by their compact cranks.

Depends on what you want really.
      Well I bit the bullet and took home a 2010 Cannondale Caad8 6 compact crank.
      I love the ride and i feel comfortable with the set up/frame.
      As you can see, the frame geometry is for comfortable stance. I might try to turn the stem for a more aggressive stance. I also plan to add aerobars. I hope to take it for a long ride tomorrow weather permitting.

Last edited by tiptronic; 03-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      03-06-2011 09:14 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      Well I bit the bullet and took home a 2010 Cannondale Caad8 6 double/compact
      I love the ride and i feel comfortable with the set up/frame. I hope to take it for a long ride tomorrow weather permitting.

13. Member
      03-06-2011 11:51 PM #39
      ^what pedals you going with?

14. 03-07-2011 12:52 AM #40
      For now Im going to install my Shimano SPD that is on my converted MTB (clipless on one side, traditional cage on the other- so i can use my cleats or any shoes)

man, updating my cycling wardrobe aint cheap! Looking online for best affordable, good quality bibs/jersey .

e

15. Member
      03-07-2011 02:09 AM #41
      man, updating my cycling wardrobe aint cheap! Looking online for best affordable, good quality bibs/jersey .

e
      you said it, updating outfits w/assos stuff could cost you. crashes that does no damage to the bike frequently tear your clothes up. the best way to get some is to go to the races in the hood. when a crash occurs, the locals usually runs off with the bikes. you have to run off with the cycling outfits.

16. Member
      03-07-2011 02:33 AM #42

e
      I use these guys..... https://www.ecyclingstore.com/customer/account/login/

17. 03-07-2011 09:25 PM #43
      So does anybody else use a forkmount for their Carbon forks? it already chipped a bit of the inner paint and im a bit weary tightening the fork mount

e

18. Member
      03-07-2011 09:44 PM #44
      I like http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG Sport Pkg - Brilliant Red; Giant Propel Advanced SL
      03-07-2011 10:07 PM #45
      So does anybody else use a forkmount for their Carbon forks? it already chipped a bit of the inner paint and im a bit weary tightening the fork mount

e
      I always use fork mounts. The fork dropout is made to handle clamping. You put just as much pressure on it when you put your wheel one. It's kind of stupid that they paint the clamping area because it come right off anyways. Also, make sure to shave off the lawyer tabs to make it easier to take the front wheel off.

20. 03-08-2011 12:15 AM #46
      This is what i am using

21. 03-08-2011 12:19 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
      I always use fork mounts. The fork dropout is made to handle clamping. You put just as much pressure on it when you put your wheel one. It's kind of stupid that they paint the clamping area because it come right off anyways. Also, make sure to shave off the lawyer tabs to make it easier to take the front wheel off.
      Thanks srbeards!

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 03:20 PM #48
      This is what i am using

Dass wot I got.

Keith

23. 03-08-2011 03:52 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Dass wot I got.

Keith
      Great! That means I did good!!

Vehicles
      2008.5 A3 TSI Ibis White 6MT S-line
      03-08-2011 05:22 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      deese wat eye gawt
      2008.5 A3 | 2.0TSI | 6MT | Ibis White | Ti | OpenSky | Xenon | S-line

Brungold Build Thread