Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So many cyclists

1. 03-06-2011 08:41 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
      Is the synase with sora and the caad 8 with tiagra. That alone justifies the difference. The difference in shift quality at the lower end is very significant. Sora->tiagra->105 are leaps above each other. At the ultegra -> dura the differences are much smaller. A synapse I think has compact geometry, which makes it a little more laid back, hence a little more comfortable. The Caad is more of a classic racer geometry. Far forward, built for speed. Also a compact crank is nice, but a triple will give you a ton more gears, if you have a ton of trouble on hills a triple may be nice. I've always had a straight double but I have friends who swear by their compact cranks.

Depends on what you want really.
      Well I bit the bullet and took home a 2010 Cannondale Caad8 6 compact crank.
      I love the ride and i feel comfortable with the set up/frame.
      As you can see, the frame geometry is for comfortable stance. I might try to turn the stem for a more aggressive stance. I also plan to add aerobars. I hope to take it for a long ride tomorrow weather permitting.

Last edited by tiptronic; 03-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      03-06-2011 09:14 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      Well I bit the bullet and took home a 2010 Cannondale Caad8 6 double/compact
      I love the ride and i feel comfortable with the set up/frame. I hope to take it for a long ride tomorrow weather permitting.

3. Member
      03-06-2011 11:51 PM #39
      ^what pedals you going with?

4. 03-07-2011 12:52 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Bezor View Post
      For now Im going to install my Shimano SPD that is on my converted MTB (clipless on one side, traditional cage on the other- so i can use my cleats or any shoes)

man, updating my cycling wardrobe aint cheap! Looking online for best affordable, good quality bibs/jersey .

e

5. Member
      03-07-2011 02:09 AM #41
      man, updating my cycling wardrobe aint cheap! Looking online for best affordable, good quality bibs/jersey .

e
      you said it, updating outfits w/assos stuff could cost you. crashes that does no damage to the bike frequently tear your clothes up. the best way to get some is to go to the races in the hood. when a crash occurs, the locals usually runs off with the bikes. you have to run off with the cycling outfits.

6. Member
      03-07-2011 02:33 AM #42

e
      I use these guys..... https://www.ecyclingstore.com/customer/account/login/

7. 03-07-2011 09:25 PM #43
      So does anybody else use a forkmount for their Carbon forks? it already chipped a bit of the inner paint and im a bit weary tightening the fork mount

e

8. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      03-07-2011 09:44 PM #44
      I like http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG Sport Pkg - Brilliant Red; Giant TCR Advanced Road Bike
      03-07-2011 10:07 PM #45
      So does anybody else use a forkmount for their Carbon forks? it already chipped a bit of the inner paint and im a bit weary tightening the fork mount

e
      I always use fork mounts. The fork dropout is made to handle clamping. You put just as much pressure on it when you put your wheel one. It's kind of stupid that they paint the clamping area because it come right off anyways. Also, make sure to shave off the lawyer tabs to make it easier to take the front wheel off.

10. 03-08-2011 12:15 AM #46
      This is what i am using

11. 03-08-2011 12:19 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
      I always use fork mounts. The fork dropout is made to handle clamping. You put just as much pressure on it when you put your wheel one. It's kind of stupid that they paint the clamping area because it come right off anyways. Also, make sure to shave off the lawyer tabs to make it easier to take the front wheel off.
      Thanks srbeards!

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      03-08-2011 03:20 PM #48
      This is what i am using

Dass wot I got.

Keith
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

13. 03-08-2011 03:52 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Dass wot I got.

Keith
      Great! That means I did good!!

Vehicles
      2008.5 A3 TSI Ibis White 6MT S-line
      03-08-2011 05:22 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      deese wat eye gawt
      2008.5 A3 | 2.0TSI | 6MT | Ibis White | Ti | OpenSky | Xenon | S-line

Brungold Build Thread
      SoCal A3s on Facebook

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-08-2011 05:29 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by brungold View Post
      deese wat eye gawt

Best pedal around, IMO.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-08-2011 05:54 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post

Best pedal around, IMO.
      Just don't go walking around in your cycling shoes without cleat covers if you run the Speedplays

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 06:20 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Just don't go walking around in your cycling shoes without cleat covers if you run the Speedplays
      'Zactly.

I have a set of the Speedplay pedals also, but my shoes are the SH-RT80, which are the 2-hole variant. I like that you CAN walk around without hobbling, so I use the SPD-cleats... even though they're not as big and manly as the Speedplay cleat system.

Love the shoes though. -Love them so much I bought a second pair!
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 08:56 PM #54

19. 03-08-2011 09:37 PM #55
      I just realized my existing shoes may not be true to road biking... Can this pass for a road bike shoes? or would i look ridiculous using these on my road bike?
      This is what i was using for my converted mtb/hybrid

e

20. 03-08-2011 09:40 PM #56
      damn!

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 10:03 PM #57
      I just realized my existing shoes may not be true to road biking... Can this pass for a road bike shoes? or would i look ridiculous using these on my road bike?
      Don't know; I'd listen to the others, but how much forward adjustment range do you have on those cleat positions? -I wear mine further forward closer to the ball of the foot, away from the arch, though I don't know if you use more of the arch when on a mountain bike... it seems like it would be more 'sure-footed' that way?

But it's not a fashion show to me, if it's comfortable and safe then I'm less bothered. -now if you're wearing full-on yellow jersey/bib/'spensive prints everywhere, then I think people might point at the shoes, but there's no shame in getting the feel of the bike and trying different shoes out where I'm concerned.

Keith

22. 03-08-2011 10:19 PM #58
      Don't know; I'd listen to the others, but how much forward adjustment range do you have on those cleat positions? -I wear mine further forward closer to the ball of the foot, away from the arch, though I don't know if you use more of the arch when on a mountain bike... it seems like it would be more 'sure-footed' that way?

But it's not a fashion show to me, if it's comfortable and safe then I'm less bothered. -now if you're wearing full-on yellow jersey/bib/'spensive prints everywhere, then I think people might point at the shoes, but there's no shame in getting the feel of the bike and trying different shoes out where I'm concerned.

Keith
      Perhaps you are right...

Ah well, since I now have a proper roadbike, i should get new proper road bike shoe...

Thanks Keith!

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T, 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Supercharged
      03-09-2011 08:09 AM #59
      Tiptronic,
      Check out issue 3 or 4 of the online rag, IMBike Magazine. www.imbike.com there is a technical section in there and part of it deals with clip placement to maximize energy efficiency! I fiddled with mine according to that info and noticed a pretty dramatic improvement in efficiency and comfort over long rides.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp
      03-09-2011 09:47 AM #60
      Those are mtb shoes. Road shoes will be flat, no tread, a lot more difficult to walk in, and have a stiffer sole for power transfer. Road shoes can make a big difference in comfort and in power, especially in major hills where flex of the shoe can be really be felt.

Those shoes may fit the pedals but the tread may get in the way.

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 11:59 AM #61
      I doubt that the tread will get in the way, I'm sure they'll engage just fine... My shoes are road shoes, with the inflexible sole etc, but they have the large rubber treads either side of the SPD cleat, which makes walking comfortable and easy. I think that's the whole reason behind the SPD cleat: it's smaller and the shoes can be 'built up' either side, to make them easier to walk in.

Certainly if it's not their whole raison d'etre, it's an enormous benefit!

But as for the flexible sole... yeah, that's probably a drawback.

Keith

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-09-2011 12:32 PM #62

e

Oh GAWD!! The disgrace!!

Actually you should just ride whatever works best for you.

I have my road shoes with Speedplay cleats that I use for road and track racing and training in the summer. They are not meant for walking, that is for sure.
      Then I have my mountain bike shoes with SPDs that I use for mountain biking and commuting and my winter riding in the rain. But the SPDs work fine for road riding, they just aren't as stable and secure as a road pedal platform. But they do make it easier to walk around in when you get off you bike.

Any of you been watching Paris-Nice?

27. 03-09-2011 12:46 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
      Those are mtb shoes. Road shoes will be flat, no tread, a lot more difficult to walk in, and have a stiffer sole for way.
      Thanks. Yes they are indeed mtb shoes. Although they do fit on my pedals, I am in process of shopping for a new road bike shoe.

Save myself from being ridiculed haha

Cheers!

E

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0t
      03-19-2011 06:27 PM #64
      Just picked up my new bike! I'd had a few singlespeeds, and I'm normally found on a cyclocross bike, but I'm pumped to goof around with this bad-larry;
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket

should be a blast!

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      03-19-2011 08:49 PM #65
      cool. Is that a real track bike? or a repro?
      Hey, Saugus huh.. is Northeast Bikes still in business?

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0t
      03-19-2011 09:15 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post
      cool. Is that a real track bike? or a repro?
      Hey, Saugus huh.. is Northeast Bikes still in business?
      It's a repro, Bianchi has repro'd this and the Campoine for 2010-11. I guess the new trend in bikes is just giving the taiwanese builders the old blueprints and just re-make. Also, by def its not really a true track bike (not to sound like a bike weenie) because its got brake caliper holes in the fork and rear triangle. BUTTTT, it looks purdy and after taking it out on its maiden voyage, gotta say, this thing is a ton of fun!

That Northeast bikes is out, maybe relocated? I picked this up from Belmont Wheelworks. Oddly enough I was just in there to buy a new trainer, but ended up with a bike.

31. Member
      03-19-2011 10:23 PM #67
      did the originals have flat crown fork? the downtube also seem to run a little high, like it has a long fork.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0t
      03-20-2011 12:02 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      did the originals have flat crown fork? the downtube also seem to run a little high, like it has a long fork.
      hmmm. good question, I'm willing to bet yes, because the original will have had a quill stem.

33. 05-03-2011 08:26 PM #69
      Anyone else in this forum plan to do the LA River ride. Im only signing up for the 50 mile...
      I only know 3 other from Fourtitude doing it

Vehicles
      05-04-2011 07:08 AM #70
      The Mighty LA river?

-You gunna recreate the chase scene from Terminator?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast