Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Washed engine bay. Car wont start. 2.0

Vehicles
      1992 jetta gl, 1985 gti aba
      03-03-2011 07:03 PM #1
      Car is a 99 cabrio with a 2.0. I pressure washed the engine bay after spraying degreaser on it. It started after I did it and I drove it around the block and then it stalled out and now it won't start. I tried blowing air into electrical conecters and into the cap and rotor. It still won't start. It just cranks. But when I stop cranking you can hear it backfire through the intake. But won't turn over. Any ideas!? Thanks.

Vehicles
      jetta3 aba
      03-03-2011 07:14 PM #2
      If the ign. coil isnt cracked and arching, and your sure the distr. is dry...

Then your main harness has water inside, its a large round connection right under the intake manifold on the frontside of the block. Twist it apart (gently!) like a flashlight and blow lots of air in it and you should fire right up.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta VR swapped. 2010 CC VR Executive
      03-03-2011 07:15 PM #3
      Let it dry out, this happened to me years ago. Something got wet that shouldn't have

4. 03-03-2011 11:31 PM #4
      I had A similar issue every time it rained really hard it would stall out or not start at all. Ended up being exposed wiring on the sensor the connects to the distributor. Had to clip another sensor at a junkyard and wire it on with heat shrink and then replace distributor. Worked perfectly ever since. Even in the heaviest rain or under power washing.

Vehicles
      vw
      03-04-2011 12:18 AM #5
      if it has a distributor, pulll the center ignition wire and see if it has spark, if it does, pull a spark plug wire off a spark plug and see if it has a spark. I want to say the ignition rotor is burned out, check for it. I just dry moisture under the cap if it acts up after an engine wash

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1997 VW Jetta GT 2003 Silverado SS
      03-04-2011 12:23 AM #6
      Same thing happened to me about a week ago and I almost didn't make it back home. Engine was smoking, sputtering, stalling and running horrible. The check engine light came on, then started blinking, then went solid again. I let it sit for two days and then it started right up and seems to run fine. Check engine light is still on though... gotta get the codes pulled and have it reset. Last time I preassure wash that engine! Never had the problem in my truck.

Vehicles
      '94 Jetta 2.0 16v
      03-04-2011 12:39 AM #7
      Funny, this just happened to me about a week ago. I washed down my engine bay, and when I tried to leave, it just cranked and backfired. I first thought it was the ICM, as I just replaced it a few weeks ago.

Turned out to be a wet cap. I wiped it down with a McD's napkin I had in the car. Replaced the cap, cranked it over, and it fired right up.

...whoa, that was long...
      Pro Patria

Making power, 4 valves at a time.
      MkIII 16v Club.