Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HPA Motorsports Haldex Controller for MkIV R32 / Mk1 TT

1. 03-04-2011 02:20 PM #1
      The Haldex upgrade has proven to be one of the most effective "fun-factor" mods for the R32. The Competition controller keeps you buttoned down even under braking…it's the competitive advantage any 4-Motion car needs on or off the track. It offers unmatched braking performance, corner entry and on throttle response at corner exit... the way the car should have come from the factory…

Visit our website or call us at 604.589.8520 for further information.
      Last edited by VAD@HPA; 11-28-2011 at 06:42 PM.

2. 03-05-2011 04:06 AM #2
      Do you have a link to track-day reviews on n/a r32? thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Would you people PLEASE stop typing those symbols before the "R"!!
      .:R

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32
      03-05-2011 06:26 PM #3
      good mod

4. 03-07-2011 03:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by alvint_vw View Post
      Do you have a link to track-day reviews on n/a r32? thanks.
      There should be no shortage of regular contributors in this forum who have installed this controller (and loved it). I would rather you hear it from them than from me...

5. 03-22-2011 07:30 PM #5
      In stock and ready to ship...

6. 03-25-2011 04:14 PM #6
      IMs replied...

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-25-2011 05:38 PM #7
      B l u e....$$$???

8. 03-25-2011 06:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      B l u e....$$$???
      Our controller is "Stealth". We had many people ask for this colorless version to give their car a more OEM look. So we stuck with it.

Our controller is the competition version, exclusive to HPA:

Where the stock Haldex and HPP units release the rear axle into a free wheel situation as the brakes are applied, the Competition unit keeps the rear axle engaged, generating additional mechanical force to assist in slow down and maintain dynamic chassis balance.

Neither the Blue (sport) or Orange (competition) controllers have this feature...

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-25-2011 09:54 PM #9
      Now I am confused, I thought orange didn't release with braking, and how "competition" is mentioned like there are two different versions that behave differently, one being orange and one colorless... You guys having sold both...

I always thought brake release was important for like snow conditions and safety, but I don't know anything about this stuff. I just don't want to deal with binding when trying to park my car, that'ss all...

So how about the blue/sport haldex? You guys don't sell those or do a special price???

Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA
      Where the stock Haldex and HPP units release the rear axle into a free wheel situation as the brakes are applied, the "Competition" unit keeps the rear axle engaged, generating additional mechanical force to assist in slow down and maintain dynamic chassis balance.

"Neither the Blue (sport) or Orange" (competition) controllers have this feature...
      Last edited by ThatVdub; 03-26-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Vehicles
      MKIV DBP .:R32
      03-26-2011 02:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      Now I am confused, I thought orange didn't release with braking, and how "competition" is mentioned like there are two different versions that behave differently, one being orange and one colorless... You guys having sold both...

I always thought brake release was important for like snow conditions and safety, but I don't know anything about this stuff. I just don't want to deal with binding when trying to park my car, that'ss all...

So how about the blue/sport haldex? You guys don't sell those or do a special price???
      +This.

Can you give a breakdown of Blue vs Orange Vs HPA Comp?
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR View Post
      I have seen several open slots, usually after tequila. Wait, I think that's different.
      MKIV DBP .:R32 | Photo Gallery
      Projects | Custom Exhaust : It Begins | Solid MKIV Sub-Frame Mounts ||Build Journal| Draxus's GoKart

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      03-26-2011 03:00 AM #11
      From what I've read, HPA Comp and the Orange are the same setup, waiting to hear from HPA to confirm or deny this

Vehicles
      E36 M3
      03-26-2011 04:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      From what I've read, HPA Comp and the Orange are the same setup, waiting to hear from HPA to confirm or deny this
      Exactly what I have always read too

13. 03-31-2011 06:41 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
      +This.

Can you give a breakdown of Blue vs Orange Vs HPA Comp?

Gen 1 controllers

Blue is a subtle upgrade that was defined directly by Haldex themselves and marketed as their aftermarket upgrade.

HPA worked directly with Haldex engineers in the back roads of Northern BC to create a more aggressive and sportive solution. Due to a fight with EIP back in the days, who were the official Haldex importers, we had to create agent Orange to clearly differentiate this as an HPA private label solution.

Since EIP went away, and HPA became an official distributor, we re released agent orange as the “competition” version. It is the only solution that will enable you to use the 4-motion for more rapid deceleration and will engage the rear end more precisely and immediately then any other solution

There is NO hopping, binding or negative impact on drivability with this solution, it will behave in low speed maneuvers identical to the OEM ro Haldex blue solution. It will simply outshine the rest under any other type of driving usage.

I hope this helps to clear the open questions on whats what for the Gen 1.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04 .:R32T, 04 TT3.2Coupe, B5 Avant, B8 Avant
      03-31-2011 08:26 PM #14
      It doesn't - at least not for me. Please confirm that this is the same as your own orange controller which you sold in the past, and if it is not, please describe the difference. Sorry to be so particular, but the posts from HPA in this thread are seemingly contradictory, and I just want to understand.

This implies they are the same:
      Since EIP went away, and HPA became an official distributor, we re released agent orange as the “competition” version.

This implies they are not:
      Where the stock Haldex and HPP units release the rear axle into a free wheel situation as the brakes are applied, the Competition unit keeps the rear axle engaged, generating additional mechanical force to assist in slow down and maintain dynamic chassis balance.

Neither the Blue (sport) or Orange (competition) controllers have this feature...
      I have an orange one that I bought from you at Waterfest. I know it locks the Haldex under braking. Is it the same as the one you are advertising in this post?

Thanks.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-31-2011 09:20 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by HPA motorsports 1
      There is NO hopping, binding or negative impact on drivability with this solution, it will behave in low speed maneuvers identical to the OEM ro Haldex blue solution. It will simply outshine the rest under any other type of driving usage.
      If orange is the same as the competition, then the above should not be true, based on what others have told me and what others have posted.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      03-31-2011 10:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA View Post
      Neither the Blue (sport) or Orange (competition) controllers
      have this feature...

Seriously? You need to go back and read your docs, or talk to Marcel, so you can make more
      informed statements in your advertising.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      04-01-2011 10:42 AM #17
      I hope this helps everyone. Call me the old guy if you want but I have owned my R since 2004, original owner.

Blue and Orange were the colors HPA made the controllers when the first came out to differentiate them. They do not paint them any longer. HPA Motorsports 1 (Marcel?) explains why in their post.

Orange = comp controller
      Blue = sport

Nothing has changed just that Vad missed spoke. He even confused me.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the Vad part.

18. 04-01-2011 01:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post
      Nothing has changed just that VAD mispoke. He even confused me.
      Sorry guys. Completely unintentional...Thank you to Marcel for clarifying...

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04 .:R32T, 04 TT3.2Coupe, B5 Avant, B8 Avant
      04-02-2011 08:05 AM #19
      Ok. That makes sense, and is what I expected to hear. However, this is not true:

There is NO hopping, binding or negative impact on drivability with this solution, it will behave in low speed maneuvers identical to the OEM ro Haldex blue solution.
      Not complaining! I like the controller, and it works as intended. If it's the same as my orange, though, it does take special attention to avoid binding on low speed turns.

Just want potential buyers to be aware.

04-02-2011 11:19 PM #20
      Mine doesn't bind. However, the difference may be I ALWAYS have my traction control turned off.

I run the orange by the way.
      Last edited by VWPOPS; 04-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32
      04-03-2011 12:59 AM #21
      you should lower the price and more people will buy :}

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      04-03-2011 01:29 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Skewy View Post
      This. only issue I have.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

23. 04-05-2011 04:18 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Skewy View Post
      IM sent...

24. 08-22-2011 04:37 PM #24
      I am a potential buyer and may be getting one soon. But i dont know what binding is, like what you say, when your at low speeds and turning it happens.

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.012372,-82.815743

Vehicles
      Golf R
      08-22-2011 04:50 PM #25
      Many claim it happens when the fluid is dirty, but don't happen as much or as bad when clean.

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      08-22-2011 05:00 PM #26
      jblank - the binding is a coupling of the rear wheels in low speed turn situations, like parking lots. There are a lot of ways to deal with it or to get around it happening entirely.

You need to search this stuff out and read up before you decide which way to go...
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

27. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      08-22-2011 05:38 PM #27
      I've been putting it down with the Competition controller for two months and to me its the greatest thing since Atari 2600! As far as binding, it doesn't happen very often with me. Once every two weeks or so. It's usually when I'm parallel parking into a very tight space. I haven't put it down on the track with it yet, but to date I have not had any wheel hop during hard cornering. It brings the platform to life. I recommend it to any VAG enthusiast! Also fuel mileage has not been affected................... Oh I forgot, no more jerk off (Giggdy!) the line you feel with OEM Haldex when the clutch packs engage.
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

28. 08-24-2011 04:57 PM #28
      All controllers now in stock...IM or e-mail for a quote including shipping to your destination.

29. 09-06-2011 08:01 PM #29
      More inventory arriving this week. E-mail for a quote...

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      09-06-2011 09:51 PM #30
      Just installed one last week...

31. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-06-2011 09:52 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
      Just installed one last week...
      Night and day isn't it?!!!?!!?
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      09-07-2011 12:16 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      Night and day isn't it?!!!?!!?
      Yessir, The car feels so much more stable, predictable, etc....the way it should have been from the factory!

33. 09-13-2011 06:21 PM #33
      All Haldex controllers now in stock. E-mail for a quote to your destination.

Vehicles
      MK4 S/C R32, MK1 Phaeton V8, MK6 TDI Jetta...Totaled
      09-13-2011 06:46 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by HPA motorsports 1 View Post
      Gen 1 controllers

""As far as binding, it doesn't happen very often with me. Once every two weeks or so. It's usually when I'm parallel parking into a very tight space""

Ok, Marcel says no binding,,,, but new competion owners say it still binds?

Please clear this up for us, and lets roll out the Christmas sale early so I can put my controller on before it gets cold....

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by vwgeorge2; 09-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-final-fantasy....

Stage 7= VF, HPA= V7-ysi, A/W Intake, Dual Jet Water/Meth, UM E-85 Flex 870cc, ProMAF, 268 Cams, SS Header, SS Mid pipe, Custom intake, Brisk plugs, Lambo flapper

35. 09-21-2011 06:37 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Worth every penny! Provided much needed grip during this years road rally in the rain to make the long stint non-nerve racking with an inch of standing water on the roadways.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast