Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HPA Motorsports Haldex Controller for MkIV R32 / Mk1 TT

1. 09-21-2011 07:16 PM #36
      Anyone ever identify what cars had that controller originally? Obviously it was manufactured for some original application.

Vehicles
      BMW X5 HPA\\\EFR~MK4.:R
      09-21-2011 08:36 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by R32 802 View Post
      Anyone ever identify what cars had that controller originally? Obviously it was manufactured for some original application.
      HPA reflashed the s/w as in upgrade/mod for performance.....

Vehicles
      Golf R
      09-21-2011 09:06 PM #38
      Any "mechinical" difference btwn stock and blue, and btwn blue and orange?

4. 09-21-2011 09:25 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by ray32 View Post
      HPA reflashed the s/w as in upgrade/mod for performance.....
      I thought I read somewhere that the controllers were going to get rare because they were going out of regular production from the manufacturer. If it's a software change, then there should be a way to upgrade existing stock units then- right?

Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2009 Jetta
      09-22-2011 12:51 AM #40
      My car will be equipped this weekend with one! Will let you know how I like Josh @NLS will be installing it

Vehicles
      Golf R
      09-22-2011 01:00 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by specialkane7
      Will let you know how I like Josh @NLS will be installing it
      Why are you having someone else install it? It's a pretty basic install.
      I guess you are the second person in the two controller discount.
      I hope you did not pay more than $800 for the unit, since I was told HPA quoted NLS, by NLS.
      Last edited by ThatVdub; 09-22-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2009 Jetta
      09-22-2011 01:23 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      Why are you having someone else install it? It's a pretty basic install.
      I guess you are the second person in the two controller discount.
      I hope you did not pay more than $800 for the unit, since I was told HPA quoted NLS, by NLS.
      My car is there for the rear main seal leak/exhaust/front lsd....just made sense for Josh to install it since it's there

I do not know anything about the two controller discount. Just told Josh to get it. I'll ask him tommorrow

Vehicles
      Golf R
      09-22-2011 01:33 AM #43
      Makes sense... Lotsa work! Good luck.

Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2009 Jetta
      09-22-2011 01:48 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      Makes sense... Lotsa work! Good luck.
      Thanks

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-23-2011 02:24 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by vwgeorge2 View Post
      ""As far as binding, it doesn't happen very often with me. Once every two weeks or so. It's usually when I'm parallel parking into a very tight space""

Ok, Marcel says no binding,,,, but new competion owners say it still binds?

Please clear this up for us, and lets roll out the Christmas sale early so I can put my controller on before it gets cold....

Thanks

Bill

Let's get it strait. I just got my comp in june. IT WILL BIND!!!!!!!! PERIOD, END OF SUBJECT!! Having said that it will usually happen when you parallel park or make a 3 point turn. Also binding can be avoided also. #1 Avoid making extremely tight menuvers all together, #2 Avoid as much as possible turning the wheel all the way to wheel lock, #3 release the wheel when ever you get the first sign of binding.
      Last edited by GOT R32?; 09-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2009 Jetta
      09-28-2011 04:50 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by specialkane7 View Post
      My car will be equipped this weekend with one! Will let you know how I like Josh @NLS will be installing it
      What an amazing upgrade! I kept loosing traction when in boost. Car would squat, the front would lift(I'm on air w/o e level sensors) and I'd just spin wheel. With this controller, that did not happen once this weekend at H2Oi. Amazing to feel the difference! Thanks HPA

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      09-28-2011 04:53 PM #48
      What an amazing upgrade! I kept loosing traction when in boost. Car would squat, the front would lift(I'm on air w/o e level sensors) and I'd just spin wheel. With this controller, that did not happen once this weekend at H2Oi. Amazing to feel the difference! Thanks HPA
      Sorry, but was that upgrade from OEM to Competition (Race), or Blue (Sport) to Competition (Race)?
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      09-28-2011 04:57 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA View Post
      Haldex Graph Plots
      Well, thanks a lot, thats a very interesting post!

Certainly the difference from Blue to Orange isnt as much as from Stock to Blue, but there is some none the less which is contrary to what has been previously understood by most of us.

It also shows really how much of a huge difference is applied even with just the bHPP (compared to stock) which is Im sure why everyone says its such a noticeable change...

HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

14. 09-28-2011 05:02 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
      It also shows really how much of a huge difference is applied even with just the bHPP (compared to stock) which is Im sure why everyone says its such a noticeable change...

Vehicles
      09-28-2011 05:24 PM #51
      Q: I guess the plots are also related to the amount and manner in which horsepower is applied?

ie: we expect a different result with a different car, right, although the delta should remain much the same for each controller?

(looking very approximately IIUC it would seem that once full rear engagement is reached the delta from Stock to Blue is about 20% more rear power transfer, and Blue to Orange is about another 10% again..)

Please correct me if Im off track here?

16. 09-28-2011 06:34 PM #52
      Q: I guess the plots are also related to the amount and manner in which horsepower is applied?

Please correct me if Im off track here?
      I think I understand what you are saying, and I believe your theory to be correct...

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      09-28-2011 06:51 PM #53
      And I stand happily corrected.

edit - I just looked and realized it was a different thread, but what I was corrected about was my previous understanding that the blue and comp controllers differed only in that comp does not disengage the rears on brakes and blue does (as does stock) - the plots above would appear to tell a very different story... thought it best to clarify.
      Last edited by M00NEY; 09-28-2011 at 06:54 PM.
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2009 Jetta
      09-29-2011 12:32 AM #54
      Sorry, but was that upgrade from OEM to Competition (Race), or Blue (Sport) to Competition (Race)?
      Im sorry, I should have said that in my previous response. I went from stock to comp

19. Member
      09-29-2011 07:52 AM #55
      Haldex Graph Plots
      How are those plots arrived at? Are they estimated? Is power-to-the-wheels being monitored (e.g.
      on a dyno) with the front and rear wheels on independent rollers? On the roadway, for example,
      front and rear wheels would never be turning at different speeds anywhere near 7k RPM, so why
      would any of the controllers (see comp. controller plots) be putting nearly identical power to both
      front and rear wheels?

Questions... questions... questions...
      (Oo)=R32==W======(oO)

Vehicles
      09-29-2011 08:33 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by grammaticus View Post
      How are those plots arrived at? Are they estimated? Is power-to-the-wheels being monitored (e.g.
      on a dyno) with the front and rear wheels on independent rollers? On the roadway, for example,
      front and rear wheels would never be turning at different speeds anywhere near 7k RPM, so why
      would any of the controllers (see comp. controller plots) be putting nearly identical power to both
      front and rear wheels?

Questions... questions... questions...
      Yes this is from the HPA Superfow Dyno, so yes a 4 wheel independent dyno.

Im sure HPA will chime in with a more technical answer but, on the road, the rear wheels can be turning without any power being applied to them, since they are being towed along by the front end, no?

And, surely at 7000rpm (depending on your setup) where high power is being made, isnt that exactly when the front wheels could be slipping and power becomes diverted to the rear?

Regardless, both Sport (Blue) and Race (Competition) controllers take more account of throttle input and divert power prior to slippage occurring as the torque onset arrives.

Isnt this exactly what we are seeing from the plot?

Or do I not understand your question properly?

from this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...what-an-animal

Quote Originally Posted by Sales@HPAmotorsports View Post
      ... customer currently has a blue controller installed soon enough he will have a competition controller to minimize the split and take full advantage of his AWD.
      Marcel, can you explain this further please?

I thought it was the common understanding that the Blue and Competition controllers were the same as far as engagement of the rear wheels were concerned, and the Competition controller only differed regarding how it disengaged the rear wheels when off throttle and braking?

Or I am missing something?
      Quote Originally Posted by HPA motorsports 1 View Post
      The competition controller engages the rear axle much faster and is an honest 60/40, not 67/33. this really makes a big difference when you have 200+ hp over stock.

The other large benefit is that under braking, the rear does not disengage.
      Thanks Marcel

But, this is news to me, and I thought to what is commonly accepted about this controller around here? Even your website doesnt mention that, it only mentions that the rear doesnt disengage under braking?

If this is the case (more rear engagement) its very interesting (especially since I will also soon be having more than 200hp over stock). However, I guess the binding issue still exists?

Do you have one of those 'All Wheel Channel' graphs showing HPP Blue vs Competition?
      We might be able to accommodate this request. Looks like the MK4 pictured here will come back in a week for a larger HPA exhaust and a comp controller. I will make a point to dyno both controllers head to head.
      Thank you Im sure many people would be interested to see this, visually, and be able to understand what it does and how it benefits a particular setup, rather than just hear the numbers.
      Agreed..we did this for the switch we sell on the MK5 and the Super Flow charts said it all!

We will make the same for the Gen 1 now and update our web! Thx for the idea!

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      09-29-2011 09:22 AM #57
      Does anyone have videos comparing the 2 yet? Im so sick of graph talk. I wanna see these in action. And not no 2sec clip either.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

Vehicles
      09-29-2011 11:05 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      Does anyone have videos comparing the 2 yet? Im so sick of graph talk. I wanna see these in action. And not no 2sec clip either.
      How are you going to 'see' the additional percentage of power that is being transferred with video... ?

Id say the plots are by far the best illustration, no?

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '97 Jetta TDI / '87 GTI VRT
      09-29-2011 12:25 PM #59
      How are you going to 'see' the additional percentage of power that is being transferred with video... ?

Id say the plots are by far the best illustration, no?
      Exactly what I thought lol The difference is night and day, really. Does my wife notice it riding in the passenger seat, no, but I can without a doubt by the way the car feels and reacts in various senarios.

24. 09-29-2011 12:29 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
      ...I can without a doubt by the way the car feels and reacts in various senarios.

25. 09-29-2011 12:51 PM #61
      I am interested in this upgrade but can't decide between BLUE and COMP.

My issue is the binding - I don't want that.

HPA claims the comp doesn't bind but virtually everyone that has one claims it will bind on some occasions.

Can HPA address this concern?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 01:05 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by likes2driveslow View Post
      I am interested in this upgrade but can't decide between BLUE and COMP.

My issue is the binding - I don't want that.

HPA claims the comp doesn't bind but virtually everyone that has one claims it will bind on some occasions.

Can HPA address this concern?
      I do get binding with Comp, but it is easy to manage if you pay attention to it. As long as you are careful during tight movements (Parking, U turns etc..) it will not be a problem. When you corner and lay into it you will instantly forget about any stinking binding!!!!!
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

27. 09-29-2011 01:14 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      ...As long as you are careful during tight movements (Parking, U turns etc..) it will not be a problem. When you corner and lay into it you will instantly forget about any stinking binding!!!!!

28. 09-29-2011 01:30 PM #64
      I do get binding with Comp, but it is easy to manage if you pay attention to it. As long as you are careful during tight movements (Parking, U turns etc..) it will not be a problem. When you corner and lay into it you will instantly forget about any stinking binding!!!!!
      Thanks for the reply L! (Btw, we talked on the phone once about me traveling down to LA to pick up a DBP R. I ended up getting a RS one closer to home. Loving it!)

My only reference point is the stock controller. It just seems hard to justify the cost when the controller's going to act funny once in a while. Maybe I have to try it and see for myself that the performance gains outweigh the binding concerns.

Also, thanks to HPA for answering my question.

Whether blue or comp, it's time to break the piggy bank.

29. 09-29-2011 01:55 PM #65
      ...it's time to break the piggy bank.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 01:57 PM #66
      Thanks for the reply L! (Btw, we talked on the phone once about me traveling down to LA to pick up a DBP R. I ended up getting a RS one closer to home. Loving it!)

My only reference point is the stock controller. It just seems hard to justify the cost when the controller's going to act funny once in a while. Maybe I have to try it and see for myself that the performance gains outweigh the binding concerns.

Also, thanks to HPA for answering my question.

Whether blue or comp, it's time to break the piggy bank.
      Gratz on the pick up! Just like I said on the phone, anytime you want to come to SoCal its all good!!! If you can come down the weekend of Oct 8/9th there are 2 different track events (Big Boy Track at Williow Springs, and California Speedway), and a GTG in Big Bear (Oktobefest). I'm not sure which I will go to, but it will be fun none the least! I might go to a combination of them all!!!!

Which ever your is your flavor (Blue or Agent Orange (Comp)) you will not be disappointed!! BTW I'll be in NoCal Sat Oct 22nd ish (Sans Secret Weapon.), if your around be cool to check you out!!!!!

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '97 Jetta TDI / '87 GTI VRT
      09-29-2011 07:38 PM #67
      Spot on....I get a small amount of binding as well during tight slow maneuvers. I'm still learning how to alter my driving habbits to avoid it but its a learning curve lol

32. 10-04-2011 01:19 PM #68

Vehicles
      04 TR R32, 88 QSW
      10-04-2011 02:07 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by alvint_vw View Post
      Do you have a link to track-day reviews on n/a r32? thanks.
      Hands down one of the best mods available for the R32. I love mine on the track. I love it. It makes turn in more fun. I have never heard a single person say they don't like it. What's not to like? If you want the most from your car on the track this is a good first step.
      Want your job back? Stop buying from Walmart and China or... Move to China because that's where your job is. C'mon people it's not rocket science.
      INA SUCKS http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=INA

34. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2011 02:43 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by gfunk00 View Post
      Hands down one of the best mods available for the R32. I love mine on the track. I love it. It makes turn in more fun. I have never heard a single person say they don't like it. What's not to like? If you want the most from your car on the track this is a good first step.
      I have not had a chance to track my .:R since I added the comp. I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast