Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Weird noise when starting car!

1. 03-05-2011 02:29 AM #1
      Hey everyone,

there is a freaking weird noise when i start the car and put the car in reverse. I dont know what it is ... I took off the glovebox to see it better. Seems like the fan.

Can anyone tell me for sure? Anybody have this problem?

heres a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-qrxt_crA

2. 03-05-2011 02:37 AM #2
      ps thats my friend in the background .. he though it would be funny lol

3. 03-05-2011 03:00 PM #3
      anyone?

Vehicles
      2007 VW 2.5 Jetta Wolfsburg
      03-05-2011 07:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by .MTL_DUBZ View Post
      anyone?
      sounds like fan blade hitting something. you still have any warranty? from what i hear getting to blower fan isnt easy.

Vehicles
      06 GTI MK5
      03-05-2011 11:05 PM #5
      Ah, thank god I'm not alone
      Yeah, I've had the same problem for about half a year... If you take the glove box out (really easy), you'll see that the noise is coming from the recirculation flap. If you turn air recirculation on/off, you'll notice that the noise stops/starts.

The noise is from that flap on top of the blower motor. If you find out how to fix it easily, let me know
      Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
      If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...

6. 03-06-2011 03:13 AM #6
      haha jesus ur making me nervous. Well i know you can take that full motor out

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38016

But after that, i guess its not an easy repair.

Cant you just buy that flap?

somepeople also say to turn that complete cylinder and it should make it stop

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      03-06-2011 10:21 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Keden View Post
      Ah, thank god I'm not alone
      Yeah, I've had the same problem for about half a year... If you take the glove box out (really easy), you'll see that the noise is coming from the recirculation flap. If you turn air recirculation on/off, you'll notice that the noise stops/starts.

The noise is from that flap on top of the blower motor. If you find out how to fix it easily, let me know

Vehicles
      06 GTI MK5
      03-06-2011 09:22 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by .MTL_DUBZ View Post
      haha jesus ur making me nervous. Well i know you can take that full motor out

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38016

But after that, i guess its not an easy repair.

Cant you just buy that flap?

somepeople also say to turn that complete cylinder and it should make it stop
      If it's that easy to take out, just take it out, connect it and see what's making the noise while turning air recirculation on/off. That's what I'll do, when it gets warmer anyway I didn't know that you have to turn it to take it out, so I couldn't take it out, when I tried to fix it

I don't think the problem is in the flap itself, but rather in the mechanism that turns it. Not sure what you mean by turning the complete cylinder.
      If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...

Vehicles
      06 MKV GLI
      03-07-2011 02:12 AM #9
      is it the fan module?

Vehicles
      06 GTI MK5
      05-05-2011 01:29 PM #10
      Hey, MTL, did you find the solution to this by any chance?

Vehicles
      GTI APR II+ DO Water/Meth Stage 2
      05-05-2011 03:25 PM #11
      sounds like something is hitting your heater fan

hope this helps

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38016

Vehicles
      06 GTI MK5
      05-06-2011 12:06 AM #12
      OK, I've fixed mine today. The issue is with the little flap motor that opens/closes the flap, when you turn air recirculation on/off. Unfortunately, my camera was dead, so I didn't take any pictures, but I will try my best to explain:

1. You have to remove the glove box.

a. Remove the trim over the ash tray. Pull down to pry open, then towards you to remove.

b. Open the passanger door and pry out the dash cover

c. Remove right middle a-pillar cover

d. Remove the trim piece in the foot well

e. Remove 7 T15 bolts (1 behind the cover above the ashtray, 3 inside the glovebox on top and 3 beneath the glovebox). Then pull the glovebox to the right (A) and then towards you to remove (B). Be careful not to pull to hard or too far out as there are three connectors that you need to disconnect: 1 for the footwell light, 1 for the glovebox light/acc in, 1 for glovebox sensor (if equipped with a glovebox light). Disconnect the rubber A/C hose from the glovebox.

2. Remove 2 10M plastic nuts holding the CCCM retainer and wiggle the retainer out and away. You don't have to disconnect the connectors as there will be enough room anyway.

3. To the right of this retainer you will see a cover that you need to remove. It is #1 on the picture below. Unclip it from the top and bottom and pull towards you to remove.

4. Once the cover is out, you can pull the flip motor (#2 on the picture) to the left to remove. It just slides out. Undo the connector on the flip motor.

Here's the bastard:

At this point you have three options:
      1. Buy a new flap motor from the dealer. The part number is 1K0-907-511-C. It retails for $80 and up
      2. Source a used flap motor from a partout, but looking at the design I think eventually most of them will start making this noise.
      3. Use your ingenuity to try and fix the one you have.

I went with #3. So first, you'll have to pry apart the motor housing. Just go around it with a small flat head screwdriver and undo the clips. Inside, you'll see that there is a small servo motor with a worm gear on the end that turns a blue cogwheel

The problem is that when the cogwheel stops and gives resistance, the worm gear isn't pressed enough against the gear, so it slips and continues spinning while the cogwheel's not moving and makes a lot of noise (so much noise for such a little part). If you press the servo motor hard enough to the housing, the white worm gear stops slipping. So to keep the servo motor pressed to the housing, I just put a piece of thick bandaid (the only thing I had around) on the servo motor so that when the housing is put together it is pushing on the motor a little better. Then I put the housing back togther and taped it well so it doesn't split open. That's it.
      Last edited by Keden; 05-06-2011 at 07:11 AM.

13. 04-01-2012 08:08 AM #13
      Thanks for pics, I was able to take apart without and issue. I did however not replace the part, I just unhooked the wire and called it a day. After reading various posts it seems the part just goes bad again, I am not able to waste the money on that.

Thanks...

Vehicles
      '12 2.0T GLI, '07 2.5 Rabbit
      07-10-2012 01:11 PM #14
      My wife said that it sounded like there was a chipmunk stuck behind the glovebox when she got home from work yesterday. While I am happy there wasn't actually an animal back there, This still does not look like it is going to be fun to fix for such a stupid little part. Thanks for walk through though.

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 jetta 2.5
      04-04-2013 11:12 PM #15
      had the same problem, thought it was a fuel pump. Glad I found this post before I bought a new pump. I'm going to try and fix it this weekend

Vehicles
      06 GTI MK5
      04-05-2013 10:19 AM #16
      Surprisingly, mine's still holding up after a fix that I did

Someone has actually made a video on how to replace it:
      Last edited by Keden; 04-06-2013 at 07:51 AM.