Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: bringing life back to my 85 Scirocco

Vehicles
      1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
      03-06-2011 02:50 AM #1
      going to start doing body work on my scirocco so i can paint it when the weather starts warming up a bit, been contemplating on what color i want to paint it, i have a couple colors in mind but im not sure what color would suit it

going to start posting pictures tomorow

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-06-2011 06:09 PM #2
      a few nice options are :

jazz blue
      -orange
      -charcoal
      -white
      -red

these are some of my favorite rocco colors
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      03-06-2011 09:01 PM #3
      yeah i like the colors orange, charcoal, blue and white, cant do red or silver cause the weather here in nevada just oxidises the, so badly

Vehicles
      03-06-2011 09:25 PM #4
      My 85 Scirocco, little dent on the door and body
      Photobucket

Right front fender has a bad dent in it, just need to get my hands on a stud welder and a slide hammer to fix it
      Photobucket

Photobucket

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-06-2011 10:21 PM #5
      one color I was keeping for myself...............was the weird grey that was offered on the mk1 tt, the color code is called nimbus grey, I think that with either black or carbon fibre accents would rock. just MO
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      03-06-2011 10:53 PM #6
      that grey and carbon fiber combo would look real nice

7. 03-07-2011 12:52 AM #7
      might want to look into finding a new fender im a body man and i would not want to fix that especially if it was my own car

Vehicles
      03-07-2011 02:30 AM #8
      yeah but it will be easier to fix it than trying to find a new one

Vehicles
      '91 Trans Am GTA, '83 Scirocco, '81 Caprice
      03-07-2011 04:51 PM #9
      took me a loong time to find my replacement fender even here in WA! I paid a good $85 for it and it has small creases in it. If you have the means to fix it yourself then that's a good idea
      1983 Scirocco (Marcie "Red") 1984 Scirocco (Meryl)

Vehicles
      03-07-2011 06:51 PM #10
      yeah cause the closest place for me to find body parts would be in california, and one thing is for sure i never want to drive there ever again in my life

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 12:47 AM #11
      still contemplating on the color

if anyone has any color ideas just post your ideas up

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 03:43 PM #12
      I think white would be a good color.

It has alot of potential, especially for a scirocco. It'd be easier to color match if any touch-up paint would need to be applied. You would have an excuse to put on white tinted tail lights and/or make a "WhiteCat" clone. And it would work great with a black bodykit if you wanted, also you have the option to paint the mirrors or not. Look up the Scirocco WhiteCat and the (white) Scirocco Scala, and they both looked great! Plus i don't see white ones often.

Oh, and then there is always the possibility of adding red pin-striping. Just alot of stuff you can do with white that you can't do with red.

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 08:21 PM #13
      i was thinking of a cream white or a normal white and i want to get my hands on a lip for the front and eruo style bumpers cause i like how it looks more flush with the car

pin striping is a good idea but i cant do any of that and i dont know anyone who does pinstripping

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 01:37 PM #14
      I'd just stick with a white/black contrast. By the time you get all of that done then you can eventually decide on what to add to it. I am in the process of getting my car done up and painted and what i did is i got on google and looked up scirocco outlines. I printed out the ones that looked best and then colored them in a variety of different styles. Good way to get an idea of what the finished product can look like if you can't get a real pic. (I eventually decided on the scirocco GTX mars red/black body kit).

What i mean by pinstriping is like maybe a simple red line that goes along side the car. Though, i always thought it would be cool to pull off some of the 80's pinstriping. Lol, use some of those neon bright colors and squiggle them around on each side

Here is an example of a white cat with some pinstriping (more like a vinyl stripe actually) on the side
      http://www.scirocco.org/photos/53b/whitec_pf.jpg

and here are the tail lights i was talking about
      http://www.scirocco.org/photos/53b/whitec_tail.jpg
      Really easy to recreate if you have the right supplies and some patience. There's probably even a thread on it...

and here is with the black bodykit (probably couldn't pull off the white tail lights with this one, nor painted mirrors)
      http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco...ions/herne.jpg

As far as which white is best, i dont really know. I think if you go cream white it might be a pain to color match since side by side with regular white there is a big difference. But cream white is also pretty popular so that shouldnt be a big problem.

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 10:11 PM #15
      i like that idea alot, i thought of doing a black or carbon fiber paint for the hood, and the red would give it some more chariteristics

but wat would be cool is doing a flat black with some old school pinstriping, havnt seen a scirocco with that kind of a paint job

Vehicles
      03-11-2011 04:06 PM #16
      finally figured out how i want to paint it, white with black and some red pinstriping

i believe some of you will like the paintjob wehen im done

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 12:52 AM #17
      just shortened the rear bumper (will have pictures up tomorrow)

tomorrow going to take out the dent in the front fender and the door, i hope that i can get all the body work done this week

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 03:57 PM #18
      heres the rear US bumper modified
      Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

going to shorten the skin for the front here soon, and work on the major dents too

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 06:47 PM #19
      If only there was a way to raise up the bumper skin and get rid of the trim piece on top. Then it would be completely euro. Remarkable job though!

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 07:53 PM #20
      thanks, i still have to shorten the skin on the front cause some one shortened the bracket but didnt shorten the skin so still have to do that one, ill probably start on that today

Vehicles
      03-22-2011 03:43 AM #21
      here is the front bumper completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

going to try and get my hands on a stud welder and a slide hammer so i can pull out the big dents

Vehicles
      03-23-2011 03:33 AM #22
      tomorrow going to rip the bumpers off again and finish them up, i hope

any one know were i can get a front air dam for my rocco? been looking for one for some time now and have not found anything

any good websites to order airdams from?

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 11:31 PM #23
      well the worst thing happen today, tuneing it again cause it started running funny

was doing the last and final test drive for the night and about to pull up the driveway and the cv joint fell off and and wat it looks like the tranny is ****ed to

i just want to cry now

Vehicles
      04-02-2011 07:48 PM #24
      take it apart and show pics! It could be a number of different things. Those CV's will break apart if they aren't put together correctly, or if they bend at too steep of an angle.

I found all of this out the hard way

Vehicles
      04-02-2011 07:52 PM #25
      well taking a look at this morning with fresh eyes and calmed down it looks like i just need a new cv joint, but i wont know how the tranny is untill tuesday, just ordered a new cv joint so i will just have to wait and see untill then

plus while i was under there i noticed most of te levers and junk for the shifter need to be replaced, they all are loose and just about to fall apart

but i got lucky, at least this didnt happen across town coming from work though, that would of been ugly

Vehicles
      04-27-2011 01:20 AM #26
      it has been a while since i have posted anything on the progress on my scirocco, been working alot and have not had the time to work on the scirocco, plus not having the parts untill a couple days ago

went to pick-n-pull and found a scirocco there with a lot of good parts, i took as much as i can but i wish i could of taken the whole car for parts

but the biggest thing was i got my hands on a front left fender to replace the one on the scirocco, got it ready to go on, also i started cleaning the body up abit, getting closer to painting it

will be posting pics tomorow of the progress

Vehicles
      04-27-2011 10:12 PM #27
      here is the new fender on the scirocco

Photobucket

Vehicles
      04-28-2011 04:06 PM #28
      i feel so ashamed about this, i found it yesterday while doing some body work

well i was trying to take some glue off the body were it was holding the little black plastic on the rear wheel well and bondo came off and found the worst thing ever...........
      rust

so i started to take the bondo off and found more, and it looks like it was hit in the past and some one did a real good bondo job on it to cover it up, and there is a lot of bondo

there is black paint on it cause i dont want to get worse
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket

just makes me want to cry

at least i found it now and not later

Vehicles
      04-29-2011 02:42 AM #29
      Sheesh man you're getting it rough!

Looks like you are making good progress though! A 16v body kit will conceal most of that.

unfortunately it looks like bondo might have to go back on. Looks like the person who put it on last was either in a hurry or didn't believe in prep work

I am pretty sure there are sprays paints/treatments that are made for rust, but it'll probably be fine.

Vehicles
      04-29-2011 03:24 AM #30
      i was talking to a friend today and he told me about this paint that u put on rust and it stops the rust, and seals it away, he said he used it before and its amazing stuff, but its about $100 for half a gallon of it, i dont have that kind of money to buy it

thats what i was thinking too, the guy just said screw it and put bondo over it just to cover it up, i give him props cause he did a great job, but his mistake of missing the clean up part is making me have more work

tomorow i hope i can get some sand to do some sand blasting, then i get to do the fun part of doing bondo work and reshaping the side and geting all the lines back

but in the future i want to make new fiber glass skins for the bumpers, i like what i did to the bumpers but they seem to bug me still, i want to completely suck the skins to the bumper so it is sucked in even more and flows with the body better, and make it sit flush in the groves on the sides, sounds kinda crazy but if u think about it seems like a good idea, thats what i think

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 12:47 AM #31
      well today i put in a new cap and rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump, some new gas line
      its startin to run better now, still alot more work to be done

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v, 80 Scirocco soon to be 16v, 80 chevy k-10 1/2" ton pos, 55 buick special, 83 puch
      05-01-2011 11:23 AM #32
      When I had this rocco I never had the balls to find out what was under those bubble's.

Nick came by my work the other day and showed me, the bondo is almost an inch deep in spots!

I still think we should cut that panel out and skin it with the panel off the 87 i'm getting.

Also Nick, I replaced a few of the bushings in the shift linkage, you need the big red one for the reverse lockout, I have it. also if you want the short throw arm I have a spare I'm not using.

Soooo glad to see this rocco went to someone who loves working on it, I never had a lot of time for this car and it really deserved a better life!
      A sloth gets robbed by three turtles. The sloth calls the cops and they ask him "so can you tell us about the robbery?" and the sloth say's "I'm not sure.............It all happened so fast......."

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v, 80 Scirocco soon to be 16v, 80 chevy k-10 1/2" ton pos, 55 buick special, 83 puch
      05-01-2011 11:25 AM #33
      Also have you gone through the vacuum lines? I fixed a few of the really bad leaks but i know there's more. Also from what I remember i fixed some of the grounds but you may wanna go through those again, wouldn't hurt to check.
      A sloth gets robbed by three turtles. The sloth calls the cops and they ask him "so can you tell us about the robbery?" and the sloth say's "I'm not sure.............It all happened so fast......."

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 09:10 PM #34
      in response to your thing about sucking in the bumpers...

Once upon a time i was trying to create my own shortened bumpers and i found that if the bumper frame itself was tweaked, you could easily "suck up" about a half an inch or so. Only the bottom part of the skin really hits the bumper frame whereas the top is a good half an inch or so away. It would require alot of cutting and messing around, there's no telling how well it would actually work.

I think i would probably wait till after the car is painted to really mess with those bumpers. Then you can mess with skins and see which ones work better with the overall car. For now everything is going to look bad. I am even dissapointed with the look of my Euro bumpers atm!

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 10:05 PM #35
      this week im going to track down the entire vacuum system and look for leaks, done it once already. check the wire harness, when i do the wire harness im goin to use dielectrical gel stuff to make sure every thing has good conections

and for the bumpers i got an idea right now but im still in the prosses of figuring out a way to make them, i want make them out of fiber glass, but the mold part i was acually thinking of useing clay or something to form it to the car and make the shape i need

kinda crazy, crazy ideas come from crazy people

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast