Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: bringing life back to my 85 Scirocco

Vehicles
      1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
      04-27-2011 01:20 AM #26
      it has been a while since i have posted anything on the progress on my scirocco, been working alot and have not had the time to work on the scirocco, plus not having the parts untill a couple days ago

went to pick-n-pull and found a scirocco there with a lot of good parts, i took as much as i can but i wish i could of taken the whole car for parts

but the biggest thing was i got my hands on a front left fender to replace the one on the scirocco, got it ready to go on, also i started cleaning the body up abit, getting closer to painting it

will be posting pics tomorow of the progress

Vehicles
      04-27-2011 10:12 PM #27
      here is the new fender on the scirocco

Vehicles
      04-28-2011 04:06 PM #28
      i feel so ashamed about this, i found it yesterday while doing some body work

well i was trying to take some glue off the body were it was holding the little black plastic on the rear wheel well and bondo came off and found the worst thing ever...........
      rust

so i started to take the bondo off and found more, and it looks like it was hit in the past and some one did a real good bondo job on it to cover it up, and there is a lot of bondo

there is black paint on it cause i dont want to get worse

just makes me want to cry

at least i found it now and not later

Vehicles
      '91 Trans Am GTA, '83 Scirocco, '81 Caprice
      04-29-2011 02:42 AM #29
      Sheesh man you're getting it rough!

Looks like you are making good progress though! A 16v body kit will conceal most of that.

unfortunately it looks like bondo might have to go back on. Looks like the person who put it on last was either in a hurry or didn't believe in prep work

I am pretty sure there are sprays paints/treatments that are made for rust, but it'll probably be fine.
      1983 Scirocco (Marcie "Red") 1984 Scirocco (Meryl)

Vehicles
      04-29-2011 03:24 AM #30
      i was talking to a friend today and he told me about this paint that u put on rust and it stops the rust, and seals it away, he said he used it before and its amazing stuff, but its about $100 for half a gallon of it, i dont have that kind of money to buy it

thats what i was thinking too, the guy just said screw it and put bondo over it just to cover it up, i give him props cause he did a great job, but his mistake of missing the clean up part is making me have more work

tomorow i hope i can get some sand to do some sand blasting, then i get to do the fun part of doing bondo work and reshaping the side and geting all the lines back

but in the future i want to make new fiber glass skins for the bumpers, i like what i did to the bumpers but they seem to bug me still, i want to completely suck the skins to the bumper so it is sucked in even more and flows with the body better, and make it sit flush in the groves on the sides, sounds kinda crazy but if u think about it seems like a good idea, thats what i think

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 12:47 AM #31
      well today i put in a new cap and rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump, some new gas line
      its startin to run better now, still alot more work to be done

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v, 80 Scirocco soon to be 16v, 80 chevy k-10 1/2" ton pos, 55 buick special, 83 puch
      05-01-2011 11:23 AM #32
      When I had this rocco I never had the balls to find out what was under those bubble's.

Nick came by my work the other day and showed me, the bondo is almost an inch deep in spots!

I still think we should cut that panel out and skin it with the panel off the 87 i'm getting.

Also Nick, I replaced a few of the bushings in the shift linkage, you need the big red one for the reverse lockout, I have it. also if you want the short throw arm I have a spare I'm not using.

Soooo glad to see this rocco went to someone who loves working on it, I never had a lot of time for this car and it really deserved a better life!
      A sloth gets robbed by three turtles. The sloth calls the cops and they ask him "so can you tell us about the robbery?" and the sloth say's "I'm not sure.............It all happened so fast......."

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v, 80 Scirocco soon to be 16v, 80 chevy k-10 1/2" ton pos, 55 buick special, 83 puch
      05-01-2011 11:25 AM #33
      Also have you gone through the vacuum lines? I fixed a few of the really bad leaks but i know there's more. Also from what I remember i fixed some of the grounds but you may wanna go through those again, wouldn't hurt to check.
      A sloth gets robbed by three turtles. The sloth calls the cops and they ask him "so can you tell us about the robbery?" and the sloth say's "I'm not sure.............It all happened so fast......."

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 09:10 PM #34
      in response to your thing about sucking in the bumpers...

Once upon a time i was trying to create my own shortened bumpers and i found that if the bumper frame itself was tweaked, you could easily "suck up" about a half an inch or so. Only the bottom part of the skin really hits the bumper frame whereas the top is a good half an inch or so away. It would require alot of cutting and messing around, there's no telling how well it would actually work.

I think i would probably wait till after the car is painted to really mess with those bumpers. Then you can mess with skins and see which ones work better with the overall car. For now everything is going to look bad. I am even dissapointed with the look of my Euro bumpers atm!

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 10:05 PM #35
      this week im going to track down the entire vacuum system and look for leaks, done it once already. check the wire harness, when i do the wire harness im goin to use dielectrical gel stuff to make sure every thing has good conections

and for the bumpers i got an idea right now but im still in the prosses of figuring out a way to make them, i want make them out of fiber glass, but the mold part i was acually thinking of useing clay or something to form it to the car and make the shape i need

kinda crazy, crazy ideas come from crazy people

Vehicles
      06-10-2011 04:51 PM #36
      its been a while since ive posted on here, well being jobless and having no money to get supplies had me at a hault, but now that i got a job im startin to work on the car again

just ordered 4 new fuel injectors the ones in it right now are no good, one sprays a crappy stream and the other 3 dribble, get the new ones in tomorow, and probably go to pick n pull too and snag the brass inserts off the scirocco up there and replace the plastic ones that are in

cant wait to replace them, should run way better

Vehicles
      06-16-2011 06:24 PM #37
      got the new fuel injectors monday, and finally got them in, and oh boy does she pur like a kitten now

maybe thinking about doing some body work again today or wait till tomorow

Vehicles
      06-26-2011 03:45 AM #38
      well its been a while since ive had a chance on to work on my car, but the past 3 days ive been workin on the panel behind the drivers door, and after of hours of sanding and sandblasting fiber glass and bondo work im done

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      06-26-2011 09:17 PM #39
      I haven't seen a MK2 with Indiana Red - (A MK1 color) that would be pretty awesome I think.

Classic color on a car with classic lines.

Get that bondo fixed first tho!
      If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

Vehicles
      06-27-2011 06:34 PM #40
      what do u mean fix the bodno? i already got it cleaned up and there is no bumps or uneven spots

the paint may be a little runny cause i used a spray paint primer to cover it to protect it

so what area are you talking about?

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      06-27-2011 11:45 PM #41
      good job! not bad at all
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      audi avant/bmw 3&6 series vert/s2 rocco
      06-29-2011 02:07 PM #42
      You have to fix that door gap. Keep up the good work

Vehicles
      06-30-2011 03:04 PM #43
      well I need to realign the door, it is a little off

I hope this week i can get the rest of the body work done, really not much left to do

but tomorrow im going to order some new coil overs, saved up enough money to get them finally

then next week or the week after just depending on how things go ill have a chance to install them

Vehicles
      06-30-2011 04:49 PM #44
      Oh so what coil overs did you end up getting?

Lol my doors need realigning too but I'm too scared to mess with it!

Lol I bet you will get your car done before mine :p, should probably get my project thread posted

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      07-02-2011 12:41 AM #45
      i got some racelands, just ordered them not even an hour ago

yeah door alignment stinks, takes a little time but its worth it, every time im driving and look in the mirror i see it just a little off and it drives me crazy!

cant wait to get my scirocco done, cause there are really just 3-4 sciroccos running around here, one is clean, mine and a friends are just rat rods right now, and another one is in ok shape and one color, been hoping to run into to him and bs with him

hows your rocco coming along euro

Vehicles
      07-07-2011 11:38 PM #46
      just got my new coil overs in today

really amazed on how fast they got here

Vehicles
      07-08-2011 04:32 PM #47
      Dang my neighborhood is kind of the same, I see a couple here and there but now i know them all lol. only one of them uses vortex and he just traded his black euro spec 16v Scirocco that he just painted for a mk2 golf with an auto.

But yeah i am still doing prep work, almost done with sanding but now pretty soon i will have to start with the bondo work. I've never done it so that may take a while too lol. Of course my $80 replacement fender is the fender that needs work

Actually i am going to try and post that project thread up today. I think i am far enough to get one started.

Vehicles
      07-08-2011 09:07 PM #48
      why would he trade a scirocco for a mk2 golf, , i would never do that, that is all you see around any more, with the jettas and gtis

couple tips with working with bondo, spread a thin layer on and try to shave as much off as you can

cant wait to see your thread up

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 10:20 PM #49
      well today went up to pick n pull and picked up the hood from the scirocco there, its in way better shape then the one on right now, had a friend help me get it to my house cause it wouldnt fit in the back hahaha

going to clean it up and swap it out with the old one tomorrow

but when i came out of pick n pull, lo and behold there was another vw parked next to my rocco

i waited for a little bit to see if he would come out, and he did, we talked for a little bit

Vehicles
      07-19-2011 12:29 AM #50
      well today i got my my new coil overs in, , and im very pleased with the results, took her for a test drive and she handles really nicely, little bit stiff, but im fine with that

will post pics tomorrow

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast