Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HALDEX Oil Change @ 40K

1. 03-06-2011 09:34 AM #1
      Has anybody already changed the Haldex clutch oil?
      VW as of now recommends that it is changed at 40K on Tiguan. I found DIY for Audi but our unit is slightly different.
      There is no plug on the bottom as it is on the Audi. The filter does not look same form outside too. It looks like it doesn’t require a special tool for removing the filter. I’m still guessing at this point.
      Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      03-06-2011 11:11 AM #2
      I think around 2010 they stopped using a filter, so only an oil change is required

3. 03-06-2011 11:56 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      I think around 2010 they stopped using a filter, so only an oil change is required
      No. There is a filter. I figured that part. However the filter is a cartridge style and doesn’t need a special tool. It is aluminum cap hold in place by (2) socket head cap screws underneath which is located the filter cartridge.
      Still don’t know about draining and filling with oil. It’s generation 4 haldex which has some differences regarding DIY postings.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2011 08:24 PM #4
      Next time i have the Tig up on the hoist I will take a better look. I like the no special tool deal.

Vehicles
      2009TiguanHighline
      03-07-2011 09:29 AM #5
      Mine doesn't have a filter, and I did request the oil change @ 60K km ... since then my haldex has being changed on warranty! And now it's the differential who make metal chip in oil!!

The mechanic told me the 2009 tiguan doesn't have any filter and my configuration share the same oil in the differential and haldex (They communicated via holes) I read on most forum it's not usualy the case,anyway VW apparently have this configuration and I have it. I'll know the full story one day.

6. 03-10-2011 11:12 PM #6
      This thread may help. Seems they changed the design but there appears to be a filter.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...or-2011-Haldex

This link referenced in that thread may also help:
      http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Number=2027781

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      03-11-2011 06:06 PM #7
      I had the Haldex service done at 40k.....no filter change was required. Disclaimer: nothing to base this on but what what my service advisor told me. Drop the price on the service because it didn't need one. I know nothing more than that at this point. 3 weeks for a 40k service....just want my car back. Tomorrow morning....about time.

Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4M - Comfortline (SE)
      03-11-2011 08:18 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by FozTig View Post
      I had the Haldex service done at 40k.....no filter change was required. Disclaimer: nothing to base this on but what what my service advisor told me. Drop the price on the service because it didn't need one. I know nothing more than that at this point. 3 weeks for a 40k service....just want my car back. Tomorrow morning....about time.
      WTF!!! Why three weeks? Did they have to order something from Germany .
      Current: 2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4MOTION - Comfortline (SE) White Gold with Sport Package; OEM Tiguan Front/Rear Monster Mats; OEM Tiguan Cargo Liner; Stubby Antenna

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      03-11-2011 10:34 PM #9
      Germany......sort of. Bevel gear was leaking and needed to be replaced. Parts weren't the problem, but a specialized tool. Dealer didn't have it and took some time to track it down. It was backordered until April, so another source was needed to get it. All in all, dealer was good about updates, loaned, etc., so besides the wait I am ok with what happened. I guess I should reserve judgement until tomorrow when I pick up the Tig.........

Vehicles
      09-A3Q 06-A4Q 02-GTP 97-S10 79-MGB
      06-08-2011 05:08 PM #10
      09 A3 2.0t owner here. Same 4th gen Haldex as the Tiguan, CC and possibly TT. Owner's manual says to service the haldex at 40k, but my mechanic and local dealers are in the dark. My unit has not drain/fill pug and the aluminum cap hides a white 'plug' which I assume has the filter behind it. I picked up a filter and fluid kit, 02D598574, but my mechanic is hesitant at forcing the white plug since we have no spare. His Audi connections faxed over printouts of the A3's Haldex which shows no filter kit, and a printout of the TT's haldex which shows the filter kit I have. So, does anyone know if I have a destined to die sealed-unit or is there anyway I can have the required service completed? I'd rather have my mechanic complete this rather than heading to the nearest stealership who would take my cash and call it complete without even touching it.

Vehicles
      06-15-2011 04:40 PM #11
      Here's some photos to help out anyone else trying to service their 4th gen haldex. This is from an 09 A3.

Haldex drain and fill plugs

Haldex filter housing

Haldex filter housing 2

A3's "lifetime" Haldex filter vs TT serviceable Haldex filter Still trying to track down the part number for the A3 'lifetime' filter that will probably be relabled as a 30-40k service in the future.

Rear Diff plugs -- lifetime service = 40k for me.

12. 06-15-2011 06:43 PM #12
      There appears to be two designs for the Gen IV Haldex. Later (mid-'10?) they changed the housing design slightly, eliminated the drain plug and called it "lubed for life". Follow the second link from my post above and you'll find the Volvo cross-reference part number for the replacement filter. Hope this helps. I doubt the dealer will do this change for you on this variation of the Haldex since VW (as far as I know) doesn't have a part # for the filter ... since it's supposed to be lubed for life.

Vehicles
      06-16-2011 11:05 AM #13
      Looks like the Volvo kit(30787687) has the correct housing plate. But the filter looks just like the TT filter.

I need something a bit larger in size with a larger inlet/outlet.

A3 filter is on the left and TT/Volvo filter is on the right.

14. 06-16-2011 09:37 PM #14
      Have you tried contacting Haldex directly?

Vehicles
      06-19-2011 12:16 PM #15
      No replies from Haldex, for me or my mechanic. A dealer opened a ticket with VWoA and their official stance is 'the service for 4th gen Haldex on the A3 is fluid only'. I don't know how a paper filter that is no bigger than a large shot glass could help for more than 40-80k, but I'll keep hunting for a part #.

16. 06-19-2011 08:25 PM #16
      You know that the Haldex AWD division was sold to BorgWarner?

http://www.borgwarner.com/en/Haldex-...s/History.aspx

I'd try giving BorgWarner a call and see if they can help.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SEL 4M, 2007 Mercedes C230SS
      03-19-2012 06:12 PM #18
      So, I changed the oil on my Haldex unit this weekend on my 2009 SEL. Replaced the drain bolt and plug. But, I didn't touch the filter. VW still does not list a replacement part for the filter.

I did come across this filter kit at Neuspeed: http://www.neuspeed.com/159/23/0/268...ement-kit.html I am thinking about getting one and replacing it. But, jeez, $90 This rig is getting expensive to service with the crazy prices for some things. Just serviced the transmission and the filter was $90 as well. At least Felpro makes a gasket now at $11 vs. the $90 for the OEM one.

The Haldex oil in mine came out very clean, and just about the same color as new. So, my thinking was the replace the filter at say 60K. What are you guys doing?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 08:40 PM #19
      Expensive is a relative thing. if you don't do the service and you need a replacement for 5K, the service will seem like a bargain.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-20-2012 07:24 AM #20
      Expensive is a relative thing. if you don't do the service and you need a replacement for 5K, the service will seem like a bargain.
      Agree with that. I hava always been a big proponent of maintenance. Yep, the Haldex is one expensive unit, so I think I will buck up and buy the filter kit.

20. 03-22-2012 12:47 AM #21
      I'd think the initial filter change should be done at a reasonable time, afterwards, it may take longer for the filter to reach capacity.

Assuming the filter is easy to access, and 1st fluid change is speced at 40k, I'd likely change the filter out near 15-20k, and again at 40k with the fluid. From there, a 1:1 ratio of fluid to filter should be ideal. I'd go as far to say 30k on the fluid and 60k on the filter from there, depending on how that 2nd filter looked when it came out.

idk the costs of the parts or the difficulty of the service(s), so it's not possible to make a full cost-benefit plan...although I know Haldex fluid is expensive and cannot be substituted (!). I'm just generalizing to say the 1st filter change should come early, subsequent ones maybe less often. Driving style may affect how much clutchpack material is shed.

I use $5 NAPA 3003 fuel filters on my power steering res outlet, with clean fluid, it doesn't seem to load up.

Too bad the Handex set-up disallows a Magnefine filter to be hacked-in. If it went before the OE filter, it would keep it clean. Just babbling.
      Last edited by Apexxx; 03-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-22-2012 08:02 AM #22
      I ordered the filter from Neuspeed, and it will be here on Friday so I'll change it this weekend. Since the old Haldex fluid looked really good coming out, I suspect the filter to look good as well.

I agree a Magnefine filter would be a great retrofit, but not sure it is even possible with the Haldex. Trust me, I thought it over. But, I do plan on adding a Magnefine to the transmission, as the transmission only has a screen and not a filter. It would be a really tight fit, but I think it is doable.

Vehicles
      1997 BMW 316 ti compact, 2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4-motion, 1996 BMW 328iC
      07-10-2012 01:19 PM #23
      how did the filter change go ? did the neuspeed filter fit ?

Also how did the old filter look ?

Was it worth changing it....

I have 36K on the clock so another 4K to debate weather to do oil only or cough up $ 90 more for this filter kit...

Hope I can base my decision on your experience with the filter change

23. 11-02-2012 08:51 PM #24
      Hi,

I'm getting ready to do the Haldex Oil Change myself and I have a few questions: (I have a 2009 Tiguan)

1) Which Oil should be used? (On ECS Tuning, I see 2 kinds -one in a tube like caulking and another in a bottle). Is there a difference?

2) For a 2009 is there or is there not a filter in the Haldex to be replaced? If so which one.

(I see numerous different parts for "Haldex" on ECStuning, but none for a 2009 Tiguan).

The above posts are a bit confusing, as there's discussion of the TT and A3, but how about the 2009 Tiguan?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
      Eric

24. 11-02-2012 11:49 PM #25
      You need the one liter bottle for the haldex unit p/n: G055175A2. Mine took back 600ml.
      Regarding the filter. Yes there is a filter but it's hard to find since it's not meant to be replaced, just the oil. That's what I did. Along with the haldex oil while I was working on the rear end I also changed the differential oil. For differential oil I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 from the auto store. You need 1 quart of it and it'll take back a full quart. Have more just in case.
      Hope you are aware with the drain plugs for both oils. For both there is a drain plug and fill up plug. Drain and fill until it drips out off the fill plug. It's easier than the previous generation haldex units where actually the tube with oil is meant to be used.
      Work one at a time. Watch out how much you drain and how much you put back of each oil.
      Some guy have done a nice post with pictures for the plugs of both oils. Search on the forum here.
      Another person on the Audi forum shared his story where the mechanic drained both but filled up only one of the oils since he was not aware of the two different types of oil used on the rear end. He ended up driving with a dry differential box.

Quote Originally Posted by eric1234 View Post
      Hi,

I'm getting ready to do the Haldex Oil Change myself and I have a few questions: (I have a 2009 Tiguan)

1) Which Oil should be used? (On ECS Tuning, I see 2 kinds -one in a tube like caulking and another in a bottle). Is there a difference?

2) For a 2009 is there or is there not a filter in the Haldex to be replaced? If so which one.

(I see numerous different parts for "Haldex" on ECStuning, but none for a 2009 Tiguan).

The above posts are a bit confusing, as there's discussion of the TT and A3, but how about the 2009 Tiguan?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
      Eric

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Tiguan 2.0 TSI 2010 - 4Motion - Auto
      11-03-2012 12:10 PM #26
      See:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Engine-Fluids

Photos and step by step procedures with fluid´s information. Very useful.

26. 11-06-2012 09:04 AM #27
      Thanks!

27. 11-07-2012 01:13 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by kosta15auto View Post
      No. There is a filter. I figured that part. However the filter is a cartridge style and doesn’t need a special tool. It is aluminum cap hold in place by (2) socket head cap screws underneath which is located the filter cartridge.
      Still don’t know about draining and filling with oil. It’s generation 4 haldex which has some differences regarding DIY postings.
      +1. My 2012 Looks just like the photo in the link provided by chicoze of a 2009 model.
      Last edited by flyinbrick; 11-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.