Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: Need some ideas and info... 1.8T, RWD, Powerglide, MK4 :)

    1. 03-07-2011 10:57 AM #1
      here is the deal. I am building a RWD Mk4 jetta drag car. Built 1.8T, crazy AEB head, ford 8.8 spooled 31 splines, 4.10+ with 26" tires, ladder bars and coilovers, and a powerglide in the middle.


      I am trying to figure out the converter. Assuming you want the lock up to occur just prior to full tq I am having trouble coming up with a stall speed, since the lil 4 banger makes tw right up to redline. my last setup with a 3076R .83 spooled up 26psi at 4100 and tq really took off around 5K and went right up until redline nice and steady. the turbo I wanted to run this time was a PT6262 .83 est. 26psi or so around 4500. the cams in the head are schrick jobbies that came with the solidlifter conversion, so I cant seem to find too much data on where they make power. I had the grind numbers somewhere when I bought the head, but I dont have them off the top of my head to compare them to a CAT or something more prevalent.

      what do you think? Anyone with automatic transmission experience something like this? lol

    2. Member XXX008XXX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Posts
      4,684
      Vehicles
      2000 GTI 1.8t, 72 Standard Beetle, 95 Eagle Talon TSI Auto, 2002 Chevy Tahoe
      03-07-2011 04:26 PM #2
      honestly, talk to buscher, the dsm guy. kind of similar motor and they have some cars out there running GM trannies.
      10.30@145 .68 35R
      10.08@141 / 148
      Force Fed Engineering
      Lugtronic
      Boost Factory

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2001
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      4,402
      Vehicles
      93 Passat VEEARRRRRRRRR
      03-08-2011 12:43 PM #3
      #1 screw-up the converter guys will do is give you way too low of a stall. 75% of the people who try to run auto trannies on VW's end up with a 2,200 rpm stall, lol.

      Tell the converter guy that you want the engine to run between 6,500 and 9,300 rpm or so, and let them do their job.
      Lugtronic.com
      Eurodyne Maestro Tuning, Stand-Alone ECU Install/Tuning/Wiring Harnesses

    4. Member 71camaro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2009
      Location
      Cambridge, MD/Penn State
      Posts
      5,250
      Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      03-08-2011 01:01 PM #4
      I can't help, but in for pics/vids

    5. Banned xtremvw2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2010
      Location
      fort myers fl
      Posts
      210
      Vehicles
      2001 vw golf drag car
      03-08-2011 07:15 PM #5
      yeah when i had my auto i ask tcs converters to give me a 6500 and i could not get it to go pass 4400rpm
      sent it back 3 times never any changes, making low end torque well also affect the converter

      Coan racing know what it takes for small cc engine to stall to higher rpm they did alot of those on fast 4cyl

    6. 03-09-2011 11:44 AM #6
      first off **** buscher racing.

      I know they make an adapter kit (way over priced) to put a GM trans on the 4G63 stuff. And I heard some people asking for his services willing to pay for something and they got a run around and never got anywhere.


      http://projectzerog.com/

      they do alot of those swaps. Bill H on there made his own adapter plate and crank adapter and has been doing so for a while, many are running around now without any issues, and he did all the R&D himself and make them at damn near cost to support the sport and his group! I e-mailed him and he got back to me in less than an hr and we went back and forth a bunch of times in the last 2 days, sharing ideas, i got a great feel for what to do and he told me what he ran into as for problems and how to get around them! MAJOR rep points for Bill!


      I found all the dimensions for the 2 motor/bellhousings. the chevy is a piece of cake and hasnt changed from the beginning of time to the LS motors.. chevy 90 deg they call it. The 1.8T is a little harder. I found one draw online for the 1.9L which should be the same block and all the dimensions I need to make the adapter plate. Lay out both patterns, concentric to the crank centerline and there I go, trans to block is done. then do my measurements to get the tq converter placed right and make a crank adapter.


      chevy sb bell housing dimensions: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...rn-dimensions/

      another: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sho...hole-locations


      1.9 tdi engine drawings:

      http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/


      If someone has the 1.8T bell housing and crank centerline measurements, I would UPS a case of beer to you for them!!!



      as for the converter, since the adapter plate and crank adapter surfaces will be OEM chevy specs (dimensions wise) I can use any converter I can find. No need for some custom jobber, plenty of good over the counter units. TCI I think sells them up to a 5500 stall or so irc. I will still be contacting the guy in PA, and the other 4cyl guy you mentioned here also and compare results.

    7. 03-09-2011 11:47 AM #7
      ohh and at project z g alot of those guys are stalling 5000-5500 or so. for what its worth.

    8. 03-09-2011 07:18 PM #8
      I went through the same problems for weeks, trying to find a good torque converter and what stall speed to use for drag racing my 2.0 16v GTI. Without dyno charts of hp and most importantly the torque curve, almost all converter builders that I'd spoke with said I'd be throwing my money away. If I changed cams, it would affect my stall, so go buy another converter! I spoke with PCS and was told with their automatic trans controller that I could program the TTC to lock-up at what ever RPM I wanted. I asked Coan if this would work with the converter they built for me and was told maybe not. PCS saying yes and another saying no. I "gambled" and went for it. With the PCS, I can program my converter to lock-up at my desired MPH and RPM. You can also shift using push buttons on the steering wheel (paddle shift), manual stick shifting or let the trans shift itself. I hope this info helps. FYI my stall speed lock up is 6800 RPMs and was told this was too much because some of the GM 4cyl racers used 4500 RPM stalls. I can lock-up at 1000 RPM if I want. Just make sure your trans is an electronically controled auto trans and not a purely hydro-mechanical transmission if you decide to use a transmission controller. It's alot cheaper in the long run. Especially if you change turbos, replace cams, decrease car weight etc.
      Last edited by Rolando 101; 05-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.

    9. 03-14-2011 12:02 PM #9
      Thats some cool stuff! I will have to look into that.

      I know the glide is not a electronic controlled trans so its a no go for me I guess. But still good information!

      thanks!

    10. Member DIRTYMOFO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2003
      Location
      Eastcoast
      Posts
      2,740
      Vehicles
      81 CADDY MTDI, 92 E30 vert, 11 BMW 335D
      03-20-2011 08:54 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Rolando 101 View Post
      I went through the same problems for weeks, trying to find a good torque converter and what stall speed to use for drag racing my 2.0 16v GTI. Without dyno charts of hp and most importantly the torque curve, almost all converter builders that I'd spoke with said I'd be throwing my money away. If I changed cams, it would affect my stall, so go buy another converter! I spoke with PCS and was told with their automatic trans controller that I could program the TTC to lock-up at what ever RPM I wanted. I asked Coan if this would work with the converter they built for me and was told maybe not. PCS saying yes and another saying no. I "gambled" and went for it. With the PCS, I can program my converter to lock-up at my desired MPH and RPM. You can also shift using push buttons on the steering wheel (paddle shift), manual stick shifting or let the trans shift itself. I hope this info helps. FYI my stall speed lock up is 6800 RPMs and was told this was too much because some of the GM 4cyl racers used 4500 RPM stalls. I can lock-up at 1000 RPM if I want. Just make sure your trans is an electronically controled auto trans and not a purely hydro-mechanical transmission if you decide to use a transmission controller. It's alot cheaper in the long run. Especially if you change turbos, replace cams, decrease car weight etc.
      hey rolando, you get that thing straight yet? Sold my Mk3 since the last time I seen you at the track rental. I may go rwd this time or play with this audi quattro I got. Let me know when you go back to the track this year...
      I QUIT FWD SUCKS

    11. 03-21-2011 01:58 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DIRTYMOFO View Post
      hey rolando, you get that thing straight yet? Sold my Mk3 since the last time I seen you at the track rental. I may go rwd this time or play with this audi quattro I got. Let me know when you go back to the track this year...
      It finally passed all "LABORATORY" testing last week. Next, dyno testing, then test & tune at capital. I'll keep you posted.

    12. Banned xtremvw2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2010
      Location
      fort myers fl
      Posts
      210
      Vehicles
      2001 vw golf drag car
      03-21-2011 09:02 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rolando 101 View Post
      It finally passed all "LABORATORY" testing last week. Next, dyno testing, then test & tune at capital. I'll keep you posted.
      pm sent

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2001
      Location
      Greensburg, PA
      Posts
      3,204
      03-21-2011 09:30 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Rolando 101 View Post
      It finally passed all "LABORATORY" testing last week. Next, dyno testing, then test & tune at capital. I'll keep you posted.
      Life begins at 101 kpa ...and so does poverty--Lugnuts Calhoun

    14. Member zcxerxes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2005
      Location
      44035
      Posts
      809
      Vehicles
      64 notchback, 87 scirocco 16v, 93 corrado
      04-14-2011 12:15 AM #14
      Call quicktime bellhousing. Www.quicktimeinc.com from my understanding they can adapt any engine to any trans. I plan on making my own vr6->tr6060 adapter but if it doesn't hash out I will be contacting them to assist.

      Buscher is just up the road from where I live. They are most def pricks but if you ask the right questions they are usually pretty straightforward with getting it done. I can speak from personal experience that when you walk in there door they are not too fond of vws.

      Best of luck on your quest.
      Last edited by zcxerxes; 04-15-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: stupid spell check
      sometimes you have to do $hit
      aircooled abomination

    15. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Posts
      280
      Vehicles
      '03 1.8T Jetta
      04-14-2011 10:14 PM #15
      ^^^^^^^^ hahaha

      you are a little late for that

    16. Member zcxerxes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2005
      Location
      44035
      Posts
      809
      Vehicles
      64 notchback, 87 scirocco 16v, 93 corrado
      04-14-2011 11:03 PM #16
      Guess so. Glad its so funny.
      sometimes you have to do $hit
      aircooled abomination

    17. Member zcxerxes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2005
      Location
      44035
      Posts
      809
      Vehicles
      64 notchback, 87 scirocco 16v, 93 corrado
      04-15-2011 06:52 PM #17
      Wait...I hope I am late for the quick time comment because if I am late on the vr6 to tr6060 then I need to know who has that adapter so I can get info
      sometimes you have to do $hit
      aircooled abomination

    18. Member zcxerxes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2005
      Location
      44035
      Posts
      809
      Vehicles
      64 notchback, 87 scirocco 16v, 93 corrado
      04-15-2011 07:28 PM #18
      Wait...I hope I am late for the quick time comment because if I am late on the vr6 to tr6060 then I need to know who has that adapter so I can get info
      sometimes you have to do $hit
      aircooled abomination

    19. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Posts
      280
      Vehicles
      '03 1.8T Jetta
      04-16-2011 11:33 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by zcxerxes View Post
      Wait...I hope I am late for the quick time comment because if I am late on the vr6 to tr6060 then I need to know who has that adapter so I can get info

      late for QT....

    20. 08-12-2012 03:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by kkkustom View Post


      I am trying to figure out the converter. Assuming you want the lock up to occur just prior to full tq I am having trouble coming up with a stall speed, since the lil 4 banger makes tw right up to redline.


      what do you think? Anyone with automatic transmission experience something like this? lol

      Normally in an automatic trans, you will never have the lock up at full throttle! That feature is just for coasting speed to increase mileage. For full power pulls you want the turbine doing its job.

      However there is a turbine from YANK that has multi disc lock up system that can hold WOT but it is freaking expnsive.

    21. Member A2TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2004
      Posts
      447
      Vehicles
      MK2 wannabe Drag car
      08-13-2012 06:28 PM #21
      i think a 6000 stall with a 2 step would work fantastic! stall that thing as high as you can! i can only get the stock vw converter to stall at 4100 rpm..
      90 4 dr jetta 2L 20V PTE 6262 at 30 psi 10.95 @ 135 mph 2250lbs (94 octane pump gas street car)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •