Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNS-510 B version Vs C version

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-07-2011 02:53 PM #1
      Hey guys...Hoping you can help me out here. I have an opportunity to get an RNS-510 B version for pretty cheap and I'm wondering what the differences are from the C version. Will I be able to upgrade the firmware on the B version and are there any drawbacks?

I have a 2011 CC R-line but want to have factory navigation and for the price, I don't know if i'll run into another unit for this price. Thanks!

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT Autobahn ---> waiting for it
      03-07-2011 03:49 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Beastmobile View Post
      Hey guys...Hoping you can help me out here. I have an opportunity to get an RNS-510 B version for pretty cheap and I'm wondering what the differences are from the C version. Will I be able to upgrade the firmware on the B version and are there any drawbacks?

I have a 2011 CC R-line but want to have factory navigation and for the price, I don't know if i'll run into another unit for this price. Thanks!
      B is ok but cannot be upgraded as of yet. It seems like it may not even get the update even if it is capable. This means no it will not be as responsive as C. C has an LED back lit display, support for larger SD Cards (up to 32GB), phone button. . If watching movies and HD radio is not important also consider the 315.

If it's a really good deal on B it may be worth it. I think I have seen them go for around a 1000.
      A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. ~Jeremy Clarkson

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-07-2011 03:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by milan187 View Post
      B is ok but cannot be upgraded as of yet. It seems like it may not even get the update even if it is capable. This means no it will not be as responsive as C. C has an LED back lit display, support for larger SD Cards (up to 32GB), phone button. . If watching movies and HD radio is not important also consider the 315.

If it's a really good deal on B it may be worth it. I think I have seen them go for around a 1000.
      I was just reading on another forum and it appears people have upgraded the B version and 32gb SDHC cards are working. Not sure about being able to watch movies which is something I really don't care about. For $400 I think the B version is worth it.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Lux, B8 S4
      03-07-2011 05:32 PM #4
      I was just reading on another forum and it appears people have upgraded the B version and 32gb SDHC cards are working. Not sure about being able to watch movies which is something I really don't care about. For $400 I think the B version is worth it.
      Can you link that forum please? Wonder if it a factory update that all Bs will get or if some are doing this on their own.

Thanks

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-08-2011 08:32 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk878 View Post
      Can you link that forum please? Wonder if it a factory update that all Bs will get or if some are doing this on their own.

Thanks
      I found the information here. I'm just not sure how to go about getting the new firmware and loading it. I'll have to do a bit more reading. Let me know if you find anything out

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 09:04 AM #6
      I found the information here. I'm just not sure how to go about getting the new firmware and loading it. I'll have to do a bit more reading. Let me know if you find anything out
      B May support 32GB cards but I think A does not for sure. 400 is a really good deal but the latest firmware you will get is 0380 on the North American B version.

The thread you posted are mostly people from Europe so do not confuse the two. You cannot use European firmware. The latest firmware North American B version can have is 0380 and so far no updates where released by VWoA (unless something changed in the last month).
      Last edited by milan187; 03-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.
      A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. ~Jeremy Clarkson

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-08-2011 09:12 AM #7
      B May support 32GB cards but I think A does not for sure. 400 is a really good deal but the latest firmware you will get is 0380 on the North American B version.

The thread you posted are mostly people from Europe so do not confuse the two. You cannot use European firmware. The latest firmware North American B version can have is 0380 and so far no updates where released by VWoA (unless something changed in the last month).
      What do you mean my LED backlight? What does the B version have. I currently have the RCD-510, does that have the LED backlight

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-08-2011 09:16 AM #8

So firmware 0380 does not support the 32GB card? Where do you get the firmware and how do you go about updating the unit? I really don't care much for the card slot honestly or the video in motion as long as the unit functions fine.

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 09:21 AM #9
      What do you mean my LED backlight? What does the B version have. I currently have the RCD-510, does that have the LED backlight
      A and B use standard CCFL lamps to illuminate the screen (most LCD TVs do this as well). LED back lighting is getting more popular. It's not a huge difference though, you may need to have them side by side to see a difference. Some people mentioned it does better in direct sunlight. The screens are the same LCD screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

Vehicles
      03-08-2011 09:35 AM #10
      So firmware 0380 does not support the 32GB card? Where do you get the firmware and how do you go about updating the unit? I really don't care much for the card slot honestly or the video in motion as long as the unit functions fine.
      You can find 0380 online but the unit may already be Version 0380. The card support is depended on hardware I believe and B version may support 2GB+

For the price you are getting it's a nice deal. The only thing that sucks is that the firmware 1000+ really improves the performance and makes it faster to use. Other then that you should be ok.

Here is a thread you can look at (relating US firmware)

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/134...irmware-update

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-08-2011 09:48 AM #11
      You can find 0380 online but the unit may already be Version 0380. The card support is depended on hardware I believe and B version may support 2GB+

For the price you are getting it's a nice deal. The only thing that sucks is that the firmware 1000+ really improves the performance and makes it faster to use. Other then that you should be ok.

Here is a thread you can look at (relating US firmware)

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/134...irmware-update
      Cool man. Thanks for all the info! I'll read through that thread and go from there. Hopefully firmware 1000+ will come out soon for B version

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Lux, B8 S4
      03-08-2011 02:30 PM #12
      Just read through that thread and have to say that is pretty lame that VW would do that. Of course it isn't the first time, and probably isn't the last. Experienced this with Audi, when they did an update for the 2011s and didn't tell anyone about the feature and they are not going to make it available for the 2010s.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-08-2011 02:47 PM #13
      Yea I read through it too. I bought the B version and hope that they'll come out with an update but if they don't, I guess I can't complain for the price I'm paying for the unit.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      03-09-2011 03:33 AM #14
      When were the models changed from "B" to "C" ?
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-09-2011 05:43 PM #15
      Does the RCD-510 (NON NAV) require a radio pin code. I bought my CC a few weeks ago and I can't find the pin code anywhere. I guess I would need it if I decide to sell it to someone

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 10:14 PM #16
      Does the RCD-510 (NON NAV) require a radio pin code. I bought my CC a few weeks ago and I can't find the pin code anywhere. I guess I would need it if I decide to sell it to someone
      Yes it does. You have to get it from the dealer!

Vehicles
      2012 Lexus IS 250 F Sport
      03-09-2011 11:08 PM #17
      Can't the dealer update the firmware for free?

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 11:13 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by gtitrini View Post
      Can't the dealer update the firmware for free?
      Not when VW never made anything higher the 0380 available for B and C.

EDIT..OOps ment to say A and B
      Last edited by milan187; 03-09-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Lexus IS 250 F Sport
      03-09-2011 11:28 PM #19
      Not when VW never made anything higher the 0380 available for B and C.
      I think that I have version A. I bought it used last year.

Vehicles
      03-09-2011 11:35 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by gtitrini View Post
      I think that I have version A. I bought it used last year.
      Sorry I ment to say A and B. latest would be 0380 for A unless they release an update. Maybe everyone should call VWoA and complain.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 08:37 AM #21
      Yes it does. You have to get it from the dealer!
      Why would they not give you the Pin key card with your manual and everything. Are they supposed to or is it not supposed to come with one unless you request it?

03-10-2011 08:55 AM #22
      Why would they not give you the Pin key card with your manual and everything. Are they supposed to or is it not supposed to come with one unless you request it?
      The key code card should come with your manuals etc. My CC did not have one either. When I go in for my first service I will have them find the code for me so I have it.
      2011 Reflex Silver CC Sport - 4300k HID's, DRL's off, 35% Tint, Vag-Com tweaks, Footwell lights, LED interior lights, debadged, extra bag hook, euro switch, rear fogs, fog lights retrofit LINK, clear turns.

CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 09:03 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubTX View Post
      The key code card should come with your manuals etc. My CC did not have one either. When I go in for my first service I will have them find the code for me so I have it.
      No cars no longer come with radio card for a few years. I guess many robbers would check the owners manual. Just ask at your service dept. they gave me mine in 30 seconds. It's your code so they won't have any problem giving it to you.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 09:05 AM #24
      No cars no longer come with radio card for a few years. I guess many robbers would check the owners manual. Just ask at your service dept. they gave me mine in 30 seconds. It's your code so they won't have any problem giving it to you.
      Awesome! Thanks for all the information you provided!

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 09:09 AM #25
      Awesome! Thanks for all the information you provided!
      No problem, since I have been through it all might as well share the info

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 09:17 AM #26
      No problem, since I have been through it all might as well share the info
      I really appreciate it. Now I just need to get the key code for the RNS-510 unit I bought. Only problem I may see with getting it, is that I don't have the VIN # of the car it was pulled from. I do however have a receipt that I purchased the unit so we shall see.

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 09:20 AM #27
      I really appreciate it. Now I just need to get the key code for the RNS-510 unit I bought. Only problem I may see with getting it, is that I don't have the VIN # of the car it was pulled from. I do however have a receipt that I purchased the unit so we shall see.
      If you have proof that it is not stolen they should be ok with giving it to you.
      Did you get at a junk yard or something or buy it privately?
      if it's private you could always ask the last owner to get the code for you....

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 09:23 AM #28
      If you have proof that it is not stolen they should be ok with giving it to you.
      Did you get at a junk yard or something or buy it privately?
      if it's private you could always ask the last owner to get the code for you....
      I bought it from a junk yard. The guy told me before I asked that they did not have the VIN# to the car. I guess the car got tossed or whatever they do with them after they strip them. Hopefully a dealer or one of the VW sales folks that are on this board will chime in. Either way, I'll probably just take the unit with the receipt to the dealer and see what they say.

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 09:52 AM #29
      I bought it from a junk yard. The guy told me before I asked that they did not have the VIN# to the car. I guess the car got tossed or whatever they do with them after they strip them. Hopefully a dealer or one of the VW sales folks that are on this board will chime in. Either way, I'll probably just take the unit with the receipt to the dealer and see what they say.
      Yea they should give it to you. If one dealer does not there many others you can try.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 09:57 AM #30
      Yea they should give it to you. If one dealer does not there many others you can try.
      I just spoke to a local dealer and they said to bring the receipt and the unit because they have to hook it up to get the code. Maybe they need to hook it up since I don't have a vin? They said they should be able to do it, but I'm not sure if they are going to charge me to do this.

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 11:06 AM #31
      I just spoke to a local dealer and they said to bring the receipt and the unit because they have to hook it up to get the code. Maybe they need to hook it up since I don't have a vin? They said they should be able to do it, but I'm not sure if they are going to charge me to do this.
      Hmm they should not need to hook it up. They should have it in the database by getting the serial number from the unit. I'm almost certain that is the way it works and not by plugging it in to get the code... Maybe they are trying to make some money?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-10-2011 11:13 AM #32
      Hmm they should not need to hook it up. They should have it in the database by getting the serial number from the unit. I'm almost certain that is the way it works and not by plugging it in to get the code... Maybe they are trying to make some money?
      I spoke to another VW dealership nearby and they said they probably would need the salvage car's Vin#. Said the system asks for the Vin# and Serial# of the unit and that is how it gets the code. So if that's true, I can't get the code that way. So who knows. I'm getting the unit tomorrow and will take it to the first dealership and see why they need to hook it up and how much they would charge me

33. 03-10-2011 10:17 PM #33
      Yeah need to keep records, you need to go back to them.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-11-2011 03:23 PM #34
      Got the Unit today and the install only took about 10 min. Still need to have the few changes via VAG so the directional arrows show up on the MDF.

Milan may have already answered my question, but when I shut the car off, the screen shuts off but I hear a fan running. I sat in the car for like 5 min and it still was running. Milan stated it runs for about 20 min but just wanted to throw this out there for any other inputs.

Here is a pic of it in my car:

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      03-11-2011 04:29 PM #35
      So the fan stops roughly after 15-20 min. I guess it's just to cool the unit down. So far I'm loving it and I don't think it has a slow response but I've never used a C version either. Here is another pic of the unit playing a movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast