Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

    View Poll Results: How do YOU adjust your side mirrors?

    Voters
    147. You may not vote on this poll
    • Traditional method so that side of car is visible

      60 40.82%
    • Angled out to capture blind spots

      80 54.42%
    • Other

      7 4.76%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 87

    Thread: POLL: How do you adjust your side mirrors?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      6,210
      03-10-2011 10:08 PM #1
      I prefer my side mirrors angled farther out so that it covers a portion of my blind spot. Essentially, I'll sit in place then move my head until it's up next to my driver's side window, then adjust the driver side mirror until I can just see the side of the car. I'll then move my head to the centerline of the car, and adjust the passenger side mirror the same way.

      I think the traditional method was always to sit in place (in driving position) and adjust both driver and passenger side mirrors until you can just see the side of the car in each one. The problem I find is that it doesn't give you a wider perspective of what's going on behind you that the main rearview mirror doesn't already provide. I find this leaves the blind spots totally concealed. Some people I know swear by this setup.

      Just wondering what the consensus is here...
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

    2. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,484
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      03-10-2011 10:11 PM #2
      Wait.. they can be adjusted?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    3. Member 92skirmishgti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2005
      Location
      Sunny Los Angeles
      Posts
      3,389
      03-10-2011 10:25 PM #3
      Angle out, I know what the side of my car looks like, and I don't need to see it unlike my blind spots.

    4. Member TA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2007
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      395
      Vehicles
      04 CTS-V
      03-10-2011 10:30 PM #4
      I angle them out to get rid of my blind spots. I turn around and look out the rear window when I reverse, so I have no need to keep the mirrors tucked in to see my car.

      I firmly believe having them out is the correct way for passenger vehicles, and many people do not know about it. Everyone that I have told about angling their mirrors out is always amazed and adjust their mirrors so.

    5. Member DeathKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2008
      Location
      New York/Los Angeles
      Posts
      1,110
      Vehicles
      2001 B5 A4qm
      03-10-2011 10:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
      I prefer my side mirrors angled farther out so that it covers a portion of my blind spot. Essentially, I'll sit in place then move my head until it's up next to my driver's side window, then adjust the driver side mirror until I can just see the side of the car. I'll then move my head to the centerline of the car, and adjust the passenger side mirror the same way.

      I think the traditional method was always to sit in place (in driving position) and adjust both driver and passenger side mirrors until you can just see the side of the car in each one. The problem I find is that it doesn't give you a wider perspective of what's going on behind you that the main rearview mirror doesn't already provide. I find this leaves the blind spots totally concealed. Some people I know swear by this setup.

      Just wondering what the consensus is here...
      Interesting, Ill have to try that. Currently I have the drivers side angled further out than the passenger side, which I like to keep so that I can see the crub and not wind up in the crub thread. I keep track of passing traffic and check my blinds spots too...before anyone tells me to gtfo.

    6. Banned carpathian_basin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2009
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      657
      03-10-2011 10:38 PM #6
      Once I learned the new method in driver's ed I am really frustrated everytime I get in a car where they are adjusted with the old method.

    7. Member 92skirmishgti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2005
      Location
      Sunny Los Angeles
      Posts
      3,389
      03-10-2011 10:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by DeathKing View Post
      Interesting, Ill have to try that. Currently I have the drivers side angled further out than the passenger side, which I like to keep so that I can see the crub and not wind up in the crub thread. I keep track of passing traffic and check my blinds spots too...before anyone tells me to gtfo.
      Two of my cars automatically adjust the mirror in and down when I shift into reverse. Small things in life.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Sterling, VA
      Posts
      6,154
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      03-10-2011 10:51 PM #8
      Consensus is: install both sides euro aspherical mirrors. You will see absolutely everything.

    9. Member cjmoy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      1,387
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GL VR6 Swap, 2011 BMW 335d, 2013 VW Tiguan S 6MT
      03-10-2011 11:12 PM #9
      I can't get used to the angled out method. Something about not seeing the sides of the car makes me uncomfortable.

    10. Member 92skirmishgti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2005
      Location
      Sunny Los Angeles
      Posts
      3,389
      03-11-2011 12:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cjmoy View Post
      I can't get used to the angled out method. Something about not seeing the sides of the car makes me uncomfortable.
      Take a picture and tape it on the inside of your a pillar.

    11. Member Golfotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      Milton, ON
      Posts
      2,964
      Vehicles
      97 Golf GL, 10AE Miata
      03-11-2011 04:07 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by carpathian_basin View Post
      Once I learned the new method in driver's ed I am really frustrated everytime I get in a car where they are adjusted with the old method.
      x2 except I saw it online, my drivers ed taught me the old school way.
      It took me a month to get my mom and sisters to start using that setup.
      If you tell people about it, they just give you a look and shake their head.

      p.s I found that it's really hard to keep that setup while in NYC, specially with parking.

    12. Member 2112's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2004
      Location
      Appleton, Wisconsin
      Posts
      4,074
      Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac G6 Coupe
      03-11-2011 04:46 AM #12
      All pointed at my face so I can always see how awesomely handsome I am.

    13. Member bmoney 303's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2006
      Location
      earth
      Posts
      1,965
      Vehicles
      2 wheeled peugeot
      03-11-2011 05:00 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
      All pointed at my face so I can always see how awesomely handsome I am.
      as the second person to vote 'other', i point the driver side to the sky and the passenger to the ground because it's just better that way.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      First I would bag her. Then I would roll her fenders, then poke her, then stretch her. By the time I was done she would be stanced.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      Apparent insignificance is key to surprise buttsecks. Never let a perceived lack of attention get in the way of prospective rohypnol excursions.

    14. Member Mtl-Marc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Mtl, QC
      Posts
      15,479
      Vehicles
      Stingray
      03-11-2011 05:37 AM #14
      I adjust my side mirrors with this button.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2009
      Posts
      925
      Vehicles
      2006 TDI Jetta, 2010 Tiguan, 2001 Astro van
      03-11-2011 05:41 AM #15
      Way in, so I can see myself on the phone.

    16. Member McBanagon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2010
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      9,459
      Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      03-11-2011 06:47 AM #16
      Looks like I'm in the minority.

      When I tilt my head slightly, I can barely see the side of my car. For some reason I need a point of reference to know they are adjusted right.

    17. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2005
      Location
      Huntsville, TX
      Posts
      7,176
      03-11-2011 08:08 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by cjmoy View Post
      I can't get used to the angled out method. Something about not seeing the sides of the car makes me uncomfortable.
      So you would rather feel 'comfortable' looking at the side of your OWN car rather than the lane next to you?

    18. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      03-11-2011 08:30 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by bmoney 303 View Post
      as the second person to vote 'other', i point the driver side to the sky and the passenger to the ground because it's just better that way.
      You made me rol

    19. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,390
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      03-11-2011 08:34 AM #19
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    20. Member Manu44's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2003
      Location
      Ratlanta GA
      Posts
      4,575
      Vehicles
      2011 WRX, 2002 Gti, 1994 Audi 100S
      03-11-2011 08:35 AM #20
      My mirror setting procedure is this:

      New car or after someome else has driven it, i sit in the car and get a point of reference of what i see in the rear view mirror. I then adjust my left side mirror so that i can only see a clip of what i see in the left side of my rear view mirror. I do the same process for the right hand side.

      You shouldnt see the side of your car in your side mirror, nor should you see things that you see in your rear view mirror...although my mom would disagree.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      I'm just imagining what it was like to have an F-22, which is a positively gigantic fighter plane, just sort of sidle up next to you in midair. Just kind of like, 'sup, dudes, aloo snackbar.

    21. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,390
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      03-11-2011 08:36 AM #21




      notice the difference between incorrect (top) and correct (bottom)
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    22. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,167
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      03-11-2011 08:52 AM #22
      I can't believe that people still set the SIDE VIEW mirrors to the behind them. If they are set correctly, when a car leaves the rear view mirror it will be visible in the side view. When it leaves the side view, it should be beside you so you can see it with your peripheral vision. Just like the pic the cryption posted.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    23. Member Manu44's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2003
      Location
      Ratlanta GA
      Posts
      4,575
      Vehicles
      2011 WRX, 2002 Gti, 1994 Audi 100S
      03-11-2011 08:57 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      I can't believe that people still set the SIDE VIEW mirrors to the behind them. If they are set correctly, when a car leaves the rear view mirror it will be visible in the side view. When it leaves the side view, it should be beside you so you can see it with your peripheral vision. Just like the pic the cryption posted.
      If i made a list of all the things i cant believe people do with/in their cars, i'd be here a long time.

      You can pretty much guarantee that when you are beside someone and they try to change lanes, almost hitting you, their mirrors are set to look behind them....or not set at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      I'm just imagining what it was like to have an F-22, which is a positively gigantic fighter plane, just sort of sidle up next to you in midair. Just kind of like, 'sup, dudes, aloo snackbar.

    24. Member Chris_V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2009
      Location
      Pikesville, MD
      Posts
      13,230
      Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-11-2011 08:58 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      This is great.

      It's also directed at peopel with zero positional awareness who aren't paying attention between glances at the mirror to overtaking speeds and lane movement.

      For example, the figure 2 setting (wrong) is saying "you won't know the red car is there because the mirror deosn't see it." If, however you actually have positional awareness, you would have seen that red car overtaking in that mirror just before it got to the position it's in now because you would have been paying attention to the mirrors even peripoherally, so that if it's moving and no longer in your side mirror but hasn't arrived in your left peripheral vision next to you, you KNOW it's exactly where it is. And if youre th one overtaking, it's the same but in reverse. Once it's out of your peripheral vision to the side, it's in that spot until it reappears in the mirror, at which point you are now ahead of it and can move over (if that's what you were doing).

      The traditional method took positional awareness into account. The new method is basically saying, you're to stupid to have positional awareness, and it's simply too hard to pay attention to how cars are in motion around you, so we're going to compensate for that.

      When I set mine up, I use the traditional method because I know where the car is when it's left that side mirror, but I like to also use that side mirror to see past and behind the car directly behind me (the yellow car in the diagram) which might normally block my direct rear view (especially if it's a larger truck or van). That way I gain positional awareness of more than just my IMMEDIATE surroundings. If you try to use teh central mirror for that, you have to move your car into the other lanes to get the central mirror to see past the car behind, where if you use teh side mirror, you only have to move slighlty toward the edge of your lane to do the same thing.

      You really notice this effect if you're towing a trailer where your central rearview mirror is blocked by the trailer itself, or you're driving a loaded pickup truck or panel van.

      In 30 years of driving, I've never had someone surprise me in a blind spot, as I already saw them move there.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

    25. Junior Member CountryGent's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakes & Mountains, NH
      Posts
      93
      Vehicles
      2009 GTI (my daily), 2003 Civic EX (her daily), '97 Ranger (weekend mule/blizzard beater)
      03-11-2011 09:15 AM #25
      I use the old method for my GTI and truck, for the same reason. Snow tends to stick to the rear windshield, making the rear view mirror useless.

    26. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,167
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      03-11-2011 09:19 AM #26
      Chris, the proper method eliminates the blind spots on most cars. Sorry dude but you're 100% wrong on this one. Situational awareness is great but it is better to actuall SEE the car than to just "know" it is there. Also, when pulling a trailer the proper method is return the mirrors to the "traditional" setting or use convex add ons. I chose the latter. You might not have had an incident involving blind spots but we have to take into consideration the aptitude level of the general driving population.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    27. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      28,681
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-11-2011 09:19 AM #27
      Angled out- the side mirrors start where my rear view mirror ends.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      I just want to know why OP thought making a thread in The Car Lounge would help him in any way... We've got a bunch of dudes telling him to "pepper his angus," and an insurance agent who just made a 2:30 appointment to **** someones wife. Classic TCL.

    28. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      28,681
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-11-2011 09:29 AM #28
      How is this wider side mirror position "new"? My dad taught me to position my mirrors into my blind spots almost 20 years ago (holy crap that makes me feel old). Of course he was born and raised in the UK where they actually take driving seriously so maybe this is just new to the crappy drivers here?

      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      This is great.

      It's also directed at peopel with zero positional awareness who aren't paying attention between glances at the mirror to overtaking speeds and lane movement.

      For example, the figure 2 setting (wrong) is saying "you won't know the red car is there because the mirror deosn't see it." If, however you actually have positional awareness, you would have seen that red car overtaking in that mirror just before it got to the position it's in now because you would have been paying attention to the mirrors even peripoherally, so that if it's moving and no longer in your side mirror but hasn't arrived in your left peripheral vision next to you, you KNOW it's exactly where it is. And if youre th one overtaking, it's the same but in reverse. Once it's out of your peripheral vision to the side, it's in that spot until it reappears in the mirror, at which point you are now ahead of it and can move over (if that's what you were doing).

      The traditional method took positional awareness into account. The new method is basically saying, you're to stupid to have positional awareness, and it's simply too hard to pay attention to how cars are in motion around you, so we're going to compensate for that.

      When I set mine up, I use the traditional method because I know where the car is when it's left that side mirror, but I like to also use that side mirror to see past and behind the car directly behind me (the yellow car in the diagram) which might normally block my direct rear view (especially if it's a larger truck or van). That way I gain positional awareness of more than just my IMMEDIATE surroundings. If you try to use teh central mirror for that, you have to move your car into the other lanes to get the central mirror to see past the car behind, where if you use teh side mirror, you only have to move slighlty toward the edge of your lane to do the same thing.

      You really notice this effect if you're towing a trailer where your central rearview mirror is blocked by the trailer itself, or you're driving a loaded pickup truck or panel van.

      In 30 years of driving, I've never had someone surprise me in a blind spot, as I already saw them move there.
      I don't see what situational awareness has to do with positioning your mirrors to see into your blind spots. All the situational awareness in the world can't account for the sporadic actions of other drivers. It seems foolish to fall back on your awareness when you can easily have a backup with your mirrors being positioned properly.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-11-2011 at 09:33 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      I just want to know why OP thought making a thread in The Car Lounge would help him in any way... We've got a bunch of dudes telling him to "pepper his angus," and an insurance agent who just made a 2:30 appointment to **** someones wife. Classic TCL.

    29. Member 1.8Tquattro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Posts
      8,314
      Vehicles
      1.8T, 6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster
      03-11-2011 09:32 AM #29


      I don't know.
      I don't sit with my head rigidly locked into position so moving slightly allows me to see whatever I need to.

      Some of you guys take this **** way to seriously.
      Of course it's company policy never to, imply ownership in the event of a dildo... always use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo.

    30. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2003
      Location
      Mississauga, Ont.
      Posts
      12,047
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 800hp
      03-11-2011 09:33 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by CountryGent View Post
      I use the old method for my GTI and truck, for the same reason. Snow tends to stick to the rear windshield, making the rear view mirror useless.

      Clean the snow off then

    31. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      28,681
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-11-2011 09:35 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL View Post
      Clean the snow off then
      I hate people that don't clear the snow from their windows. How lazy can you be?

      I've actually seen people driving down the road that only cleared off the driver's side half of their windshield. Every other glass surface on their car is covered in snow. It's unbelievable.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      I just want to know why OP thought making a thread in The Car Lounge would help him in any way... We've got a bunch of dudes telling him to "pepper his angus," and an insurance agent who just made a 2:30 appointment to **** someones wife. Classic TCL.

    32. Member Doedrums's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2003
      Location
      Cascade, VA
      Posts
      2,167
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      03-11-2011 09:36 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      How is this wider side mirror position "new"? My dad taught me to position my mirrors into my blind spots almost 20 years ago (holy crap that makes me feel old). Of course he was born and raised in the UK where they actually take driving seriously so maybe this is just new to the crappy drivers here?



      I don't see what situational awareness has to do with positioning your mirrors to see into your blind spots. All the situational awareness in the world can't account for the sporadic actions of other drivers. It seems foolish to fall back on your awareness when you can easily have a backup with your mirrors being positioned properly.
      Hostile, it's nothing new. When I got my DL in 1988 , I set the mirrors up that way because it made sense.

      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8Tquattro View Post


      I don't know.
      I don't sit with my head rigidly locked into position so moving slightly allows me to see whatever I need to.

      Some of you guys take this **** way to seriously.
      Actually it is kind of serious. You try teaching kids how to drive when they can't see what is beside them.
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

    33. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2005
      Location
      Huntsville, TX
      Posts
      7,176
      03-11-2011 09:37 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8Tquattro View Post
      I don't sit with my head rigidly locked into position so moving slightly allows me to see whatever I need to.
      Well due to
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      the sporadic actions of other drivers.
      I have started to use a 4-point harness with a HANS device and helmet. You can never be too safe. Sadly it prevents most movement of the head.

    34. Member 1.8Tquattro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Posts
      8,314
      Vehicles
      1.8T, 6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster
      03-11-2011 09:47 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
      You try teaching kids how to drive when they can't see what is beside them.
      Exactly what part of my post suggests you shouldn't use the mirrors at all?

      My point was that what you see in the mirror is relative to where you are viewing from. I don't sit perfectly still the entire time I am driving so worrying about their exact position is pretty much pointless because as soon as I lean in any direction what I see in the mirror changes.
      Of course it's company policy never to, imply ownership in the event of a dildo... always use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo.

    35. Member a1veedubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2004
      Location
      Stuart & Pleasant Hill Iowa
      Posts
      2,750
      Vehicles
      Too Many
      03-11-2011 09:49 AM #35
      I use the traditional version. If I need a side mirror to know that there is a car in my "blind spot" than I might as well hang up my keys.
      Matt K

      Motorcade of Mediocrity!

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •