Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Japan: Are our fellow 'texers okay ?

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      03-13-2011 07:52 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Saxton Hale View Post
      A very long read on the matter if you have the time/inclination -

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/20...lear-reactors/
      Plugs didn't fit. lol
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

2. 03-13-2011 07:53 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      That is just so sad, so so sad.
      Even sadder that you're getting so worked up about a bunch of ill-informed inbreds.
      Just take comfort in the fact that many of them will develop type-2 diabetes, have their homes reposessed or be bled dry financially due to crippling health insurance costs. God bless America!

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      03-13-2011 10:33 AM #73
      Even sadder that you're getting so worked up about a bunch of ill-informed inbreds.
      Just take comfort in the fact that many of them will develop type-2 diabetes, have their homes reposessed or be bled dry financially due to crippling health insurance costs. God bless America!
      hahahaha ****, you just made my day. Mostly because it's true.

4. 03-13-2011 10:50 AM #74
      It's been interesting watching all the bull**** that is being reported - so called journalism, my arse - what happened to verifying things first? And not as hard as it seems - have been listening to a guy in Japan who is translating Japanese news reports into English, and so far has proved to be the most accurate by far. When everyone else was screaming "chernobyl' in their shrill ill-informed voices, a few of us were hearing what was actually going on, and it was backed up by people actually living in Japan at the moment.

And despite the Internet allowing this kind of bull**** to spread faster than speeding light, it also allows those of us who don't believe everything we read, to actually be in contact with those actually experiencing what is happening. After Christchurch and Japan, I really don't trust what I hear from the Australian press and TV news - even ABC24News was hours behind in their information.

And to be honest, over there they are more worried about the aftermath of the quake and tsunami, even though the foreign media seems to be transfixed on the nuclear plant issues. The 'sensationalism' of the quake and tsunami isn't as good as the 'possibility' of a nuclear meltdown for their bloody ratings.

As mentioned by someone else, if any country can handle a disaster like this, it is the Japanese - they have their s*it together!! And also mentioned - if they have nuclear plants that were built around 40 years ago close to the epicentre that have survived a 9.0 quake - what other 'guarantees' do people want? Life is inherently dangerous FFS and some of us don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool!

You watch the Japanese resilience unfold - it will be impressive!

Vehicles
      03-13-2011 11:03 AM #75
      I'm lucky enough to get NHK on my cable TV service, and it seems to be by far the most accurate TV source.

6. 03-13-2011 11:12 AM #76
      Agree with Avril, ABC 24 has been rather unimpressive with the quality of their sources and coverage.
      A 24-hour news cycle is what has driven journos to be cheap purveyors of sensationalism.

Vehicles
      03-13-2011 11:24 AM #77
      WELL MEDIA WATCH WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY WITH IT ON MONDAY NIGHT, I'M SURE! hahaha

Vehicles
      MY11 Silver .:R GIAC FINALLY!! Yamaha Arsesex (R6) MY08; Trek Elite Madone 5.9 OCLV USPS& LiveStron
      03-13-2011 11:34 AM #78
      Aftershocks still happening...

Oh, and UNLIKE Cheynobyl, the reactor actually SCRAMMED. Remember, back in Russia, they were doing a "test" and locked OUT the fail-safe (sic).

So that means the propagative fission reaction's stopped... mind you 1500 degrees still takes a while to cool down, plus it doesn't remove the danger of the residual radiation.

Either way, if there was a nation that could handle it, it's Japan. Or you know, the Krauts
      If anything, it's a bloody testament to the engineering that it's not been a total disaster.

Vehicles
      03-13-2011 11:47 AM #79
      Yeah for sure, that kind of earthquake alone (without the tsunami) in any other country would have been 1000 times worse than the entire thing has been in Japan, thanks to their engineering and construction standards.

ALSO

10. 03-13-2011 12:03 PM #80
      I suspected Gamera all along.

03-13-2011 12:27 PM #81

Vehicles
      Two wheels+two pedals+Ale-powered kangaroo.
      03-13-2011 05:36 PM #82
      I hate to say this but the only good thing about the whole thing is that hopefully this will actually push some money back to universities for seismological research.
      For the last 20 years the funding in that respect was almost literally zero and all money were put into keeping an eye on them bad guys to make sure they don't do any underground nuke tests. Not many are interested in this field and I should know as I myself has abandoned it back in '99 as I knew, I wouldn't be able to support my family if I stayed with Columbia uni.

13. Senior Member
      03-13-2011 06:11 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by IML337 View Post
      Yeah for sure, that kind of earthquake alone (without the tsunami) in any other country would have been 1000 times worse than the entire thing has been in Japan, thanks to their engineering and construction standards.

ALSO

Ahahahahha! That is awesome!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

14. 03-13-2011 09:52 PM #84
      the former chairman of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, Dr Ziggy Switkowski, says it should take more than a loss of power to cause problems with cooling.

"It strikes me as an unsatisfactory explanation," he said.
      It strikes me that for a Nuclear Physicist, he's doing a pretty crappy job of advancing the cause for his preferred choice for low carbon power in Australia.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised given the fact that Telstra now looks like its been beaten up with a large atomic weapon.

15. 03-13-2011 10:29 PM #85
      To be honest, I dont care how far back this has pushed the nuclear debate. What I care about is the possibility of a renewed focus on Solar and Wind. If enough R&D is put into them (like has been done with coal and nuclear over the past eon) they should be competitive in a relatively short time.

Another explosion at the power plant. "Just a Hydrogen explosion" in the reactor apparently.

03-14-2011 01:13 AM #86
      Meow

17. Member
      03-14-2011 01:24 AM #87
      You'll make Mike cry posting stuff like that...

18. 03-14-2011 01:39 AM #88
      Yup, just shared a solemn moment with my wife praying for the poor kitty...

03-14-2011 02:17 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by steve2gtis View Post
      What I care about is the possibility of a renewed focus on Solar and Wind. If enough R&D is put into them (like has been done with coal and nuclear over the past eon) they should be competitive in a relatively short time.

Potentially price competitive, yes...but not in terms of producing the baseload requirements of a growing population at peak demand points...and not meeting that requirement loses elections
      two german cars

Vehicles
      MKVI Golf GTI - MKVI Polo TSI
      03-14-2011 02:24 AM #90
      Yup, just shared a solemn moment with my wife praying for the poor kitty...
      Yeah we know, we could hear her hollerin' "Oh God, Oh God" all the way out here.

21. 03-14-2011 02:25 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by IML337 View Post

ALSO

That just gave me the best laugh!! Thanks

22. 03-14-2011 02:44 AM #92
      To be honest, I dont care how far back this has pushed the nuclear debate. What I care about is the possibility of a renewed focus on Solar and Wind. If enough R&D is put into them (like has been done with coal and nuclear over the past eon) they should be competitive in a relatively short time.

Another explosion at the power plant. "Just a Hydrogen explosion" in the reactor apparently.
      Much that it would be easier if solar and wind power were a competitive alternative, the reality is probably quite different - and we have to deal with reality.

Interestingly, just heard, all the rolling blackouts they were planning to put into place because TEPCO have lost 1/4 of their capacity to provide power - the wonderful Japanese people have actually been proactive and listened to the plea to cut their electricity usage and in doing so, TEPCO have not had to implement their rolling blackouts. Can you imagine that happening here? I can't.

Oh, and it was a 'hydrogen blast' outside the reactor, Fukushima, according to Japanese News. So another typical foreign news beat up

23. 03-14-2011 02:47 AM #93
      Meow
      I don't even want to think about all the helpless animals It just sucks - the whole disaster that is probably someone's beloved pet and it just breaks my heart

(you can all laugh at me for being a sooky-la-la, I don't care )

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      03-14-2011 02:49 AM #94
      Mr Abbott today firmly placed nuclear power off the agenda as the unfolding disaster in Japan fanned safety concerns over the controversial energy source.

If the libs aren't pushing it...

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI
      03-14-2011 02:51 AM #95
      A very long read on the matter if you have the time/inclination -

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/20...lear-reactors/
      interesting read. it's good being able to read something like that with confidence. the other day on channel 7 they had an 'environmental scientist' talking about nuclear power and the complications at the plant.

26. 03-14-2011 03:15 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_S3 View Post
      Potentially price competitive, yes...but not in terms of producing the baseload requirements of a growing population at peak demand points...and not meeting that requirement loses elections
      This baseload argument is dependant on not having made a proper commitment to develop alternative energy. It's basically the #1 scare campaign by the coal industry.

In Australia, we subsidise the fossil fuel industry in gross dollar terms more than the Germans subsidise their PV industry. We are 1/4 their population...

Just sayin' we could be doing more.

27. 03-14-2011 03:34 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_S3 View Post
      As I said, if enough R&D is put into them...

Have you checked out the solar generator at ANU? Splits ammonia into compounds, releasing energy. Joining them back together creates just as much energy. Power storage solved. Need more power, add a couple more dishes... This guy has a couple of massive contracts in SA.

I digress, this is about Japan. Soz. We have some Japanese students visiting our school this week. Fortunately from south of Tokyo. They arrived last Friday afternoon.

28. 03-14-2011 03:50 AM #98
      Give them jap students some raw fish, They lap that isht up. Nom nom nom

29. 03-14-2011 03:59 AM #99
      Splits ammonia into compounds, releasing energy. Joining them back together creates just as much energy.
      that doesn't sound right....

30. 03-14-2011 05:32 AM #101
      Nice
      I missed the bit with the external energy input (i.e. sunlight). Minor point

edit: the pictures down the bottom are from one of my customers main production site. Woeful location for their primary national offices.....

31. Member
      03-14-2011 05:41 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
      Mr Abbott today firmly placed nuclear power off the agenda as the unfolding disaster in Japan fanned safety concerns over the controversial energy source.

If the libs aren't pushing it...
      Big Tone saying nuclear is off the Lib agenda means little... His days are numbered.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      03-14-2011 05:51 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by dkr View Post
      Big Tone saying nuclear is off the Lib agenda means little... His days are numbered.
      Hahaha, to be replaced by whom? Barnaby Joyce?

33. 03-14-2011 06:17 AM #104
      Kevin Rudd. His ego is so large political party membership is a sidebar issue.
      iPad Certified.

34. Member
      03-14-2011 06:29 AM #105
      Getting OT, but current polling is worse for Tony than it is Julia. Coalition is up but Tony is down...

Of course, if the Libs want to spend a good decade in opposition, they can keep him on..

http://bit.ly/i2Pubw
      Last edited by dkr; 03-14-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast