Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Alarm problem after battery change

1. 03-12-2011 04:54 PM #1
      Hi,

OK so we bought this VW Golf MKIII 1997 to a guy that repaired it after a small accident. The car worked well, at least for the engine part, for around 6 months. We eventually had to change the battery. Unfortunately, after the new battery was plugged in, the alarm started going off.

I searched through the internet for 3 days, and tried pretty much everything I could, including what I found here on this forum. Mainly, it was about disconnecting the alarm box (which on the mk3 of 97 should be a black box). Problem was: we did not have that box. The guy who repaired the car before we bought it, probably did the trick himself (see picture no. 1). Well his trick was working as far as we had to unplug the battery.

I managed to unplug the alarm horn, however, the engine will NOT start. Now everything works fine in the car, including the central lock, the lights, etc...
      I have tried the Alarm bypass by connecting the RED wire to the RED/BLACK wire. Did not work.
      I have checked the fuses, they're all good.
      Sadly I can't try to unlock the door with the key, both the passenger and driver door's locks fell off...

So here, I am really thinking this guy's set-up really is the problem. And we are paralysed without that car working. It's becoming a big issue for all of us here. We would really appreciate any kind of help. If you need any more picture, or have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them asap.

Here's the pictures.
      http://img38.imageshack.us/g/img0497ku.jpg/

Vehicles
      99.5 B5 A4 Casa White, 09 Jetta, 99 Cabrio (92 Corrado)
      03-12-2011 04:58 PM #2
      well I'm not sure if you tried it, all mk3's alarms will go off when you reconnect the battery terminals. but all you have to do is disarm the alarm with the key. put the key in the DS door lock and turn it to the unlock position. then connect the battery terminals. if this isn't your issue sorry I can't help. If it is, it sucks that you tore all that stuff apart.
      Family First

3. 03-12-2011 05:19 PM #3
      thank you for your quick answer. As I said in my post, both locks fell off the doors (the little thing holding them inside the door broke, on both doors....)

Vehicles
      '94 Golf, '98 GLX, '96 GTi VR6
      03-12-2011 05:44 PM #4
      Does the lock mech work at all? Can you still lock the car with the key...or any key? If you can still use the central locking system than you can still turn off the alarm using the drivers side handle.
      Cat cams 266's, 13 lb. flywheel, gasket match, intake, Magnaflow exhaust, etc...Good times on stock rims.

5. 03-12-2011 06:14 PM #5
      The central lock works fine (locks, unlocks all the doors), but only with the button inside the car. I was wondering, since that guy removed the alarm box, how does the alarm even turn on? Also the orange light "Check" (with an engine drawing on it) is lighted on.
      Last edited by blahfg; 03-12-2011 at 06:21 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      03-12-2011 08:49 PM #6
      What you're going through is the reason that I tell people to fix problem, not Mickey the electrical to try to get around a problem.

What is the first photo supposed to be? It looks like a led and holder that belong in the Driver's door. Obviously, if the alarm was still sounding, the guy who "fixed" the car last time didn't remove or bypass the alarm. Maybe the little Mickey Mouse wiring shown in the first photo is the way that he got around the broken wires in the driver's doorjam, instead of fixing them.

If you bypassed the alarm module, you must have found it. What color was it?

At this point, I'll give you the same advice I give to other people with screwed up electrical systems and modified wiring. Undo the modifications, and fix the wiring problems. You'll be surprised at how many problems are solved when you put things back the way they were when the car left the factory.

You can still lock and unlock the car by sticking a slotblade screwdriver into the lock cylinder hole in either from door, and turning it as you would a key, if the lock cylinders were still there. Door handles come complete with two doorhandle gaskets, the doorhandle, the lock cylinder with keys, the spring, and the lock extentsion paddle. Another Member posted a link to ECSTuning, who is still advertising Hella OE front doorhandles for about $32 each. Hella no-longer makes MKIII doorhandles, but you can still get the VW ones from Eurotuning for $52 each.

Install new doorhandles, fix the broken wiring in the front doorjams, remove the Mickey Mouse wiring, and see where you are.

7. 03-12-2011 10:18 PM #7
      Well the alarm box is not there anymore, nor is any plug that goes with it.
      To go around the problem of fallen lock, I unplugged the wires of the DS door inside the car, and connected the RED/WHITE to the GREY wire which locked the car, then connected the R/W to the GREEN wire, which unlocked the car and allowed me to start the engine. Now the problem is once you turn off the engine, you have to do this trick again and connect the R/W to the GREY then R/W to the GREEN, sadly enough.
      I think that what the guy's done with the wires can't be undone, large portions of the wires/plugs have gone missing.
      Now for the screw driver inside the lock's hole, it's very unlikely to work, since there's nothing behind it anymore, just an empty hole all the way to the door's frame.
      Now I can plug two wires to that system, and lock/unlock the car everytime to start the engine, but that's just going around another problem: the alarm is still on.

All though I don't quite get the relation between Mickey Mouse and electronics, I guess that if I could rewire the whole thing, I gladly would, but again, large portions of it is missing. The guy really screwed around with things.

8. 03-12-2011 10:25 PM #8
      i had a situation where i couldnt even start my car because it would continue to go off everytime i turned the key in the ignition. What i did was unplug the alarm module behind where the headlight swtich is and jumped pin #5 and #6 together on the plug its self.. stuffed it back away and went on with my day.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      03-12-2011 10:26 PM #9
      The lock and unlock mechanism is part of the doorlatch assembly, not the doorhandle.

The lock cylinder breaking and coming out of the doorhandle has nothing to do with the doorlatch assembly. Grab a flashlight, and shine it into the keyhole in the exterior doorhandle. All the way at the back will be a white plastic disc, with a rectangular slot in it.

The white plastic disc is part of the doorlatch assembly. If that's broke out, doesn't have anything to do with the extension paddle, which is part of the doorhandle. You would need to replace the doorlatch assembly as well. The remains of the extension paddle sometimes stays in the slot after the hook on the extention paddle breaks off or the loop on the rear of the lock cyclinder breaks off. Either way, the round spring is probably laying inside of the door somewhere.

10. 03-13-2011 12:24 AM #10
      I managed my way to unlock the central lock by connecting the door's wires, the engine starts, but as soon as you open a door, the engine wont ignite again for some reason. I suspect the alarm to simply never turn off even though I tried to send the two impulses through the unlock wire just like you would do with the key (one turn to unlock, two to disarm the alarm). I don't know where to go from there, to simply turn off the alarm. Weird think is how can the alarm still be functioning, if it's no longer there? The black box is NOT there.

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      03-13-2011 10:27 AM #11
      FYI the box isn't always black the cars that came with a remote have white boxes.
      The alarm module is not in any of your photos.
      Your assumption that it has been bypassed is wrong, if it was bypassed correctly the car would start. There's a link in my sig. that will take you to a DIY page with instructions on how to bypass the alarm properly. Once you get it running follow germancarnuts advice and start fixing your car's wireing.

Vehicles
      Now a proud Subaru owner, I will be back with an aircooled vw!
      03-13-2011 11:16 AM #12
      If it comes down to it id just replace all the wiring with another harness and see if that fixes your issues. It will be a pain in the rear but it can be done.
      Mk4 shift knob, boot and trim ring into your mk3/mk2 DIY:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ng-to-your-mk3

13. 03-13-2011 12:46 PM #13
      The alarm module is not in any of my photos because there is no alarm module. Black, Silver, White or whatever colour, there is simply none, just the fuse box. I already followed the instructions on this website and connected the BLACK/RED to the RED wire, which didn't allow me to start the car.
      > I am really starting to wonder how can the alarm system go off without the alarm box.
      As for the bypass, I said he tried to bypass, not that he succeeded.

14. 03-13-2011 01:21 PM #14
      Is your alarm light flashing at the door lock?
      If it is you still have an alarm module
      did you disconnect the horn in the rain tray?
      If you did you still have an alarm module.

Stop cutting wires your making a bigger headache for yourself.
      Go back to dans website and jump the proper wires.

It works. I tried it.

Vehicles
      95 Golf III, 97 Jetta GLX(sold),99.5 2.sl0w, 93 t-bird sc(R.I.P)
      03-13-2011 01:34 PM #15
      my car had the same problem the other day when I disconnected the battery to clean terminals

what I had to do was connect positive first, then connect negative quickly and shut hood beofre alarm goes off, then reopen and tighten the terminal down

worked for me

Vehicles
      97 GTI, 09 Jetta TDI
      03-13-2011 01:35 PM #16
      I had issues with my '97 when the battery went dead. Key in the drivers door would not shut off the alarm for me. What did work was locking (and closing) all the doors (including the rear hatch) before connecting the battery. That kept the alarm from going off when the battery was reconnected. Then I keyed in to the door to disarm the alarm. Not sure if you have parts or can do something to try to do a similar procedure.
      Cheddarwagen MKII - Sold
      Cheddarwagen 3.0 - Building...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      03-13-2011 01:46 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by blahfg View Post
      The alarm module is not in any of my photos because there is no alarm module. Black, Silver, White or whatever colour, there is simply none, just the fuse box. I already followed the instructions on this website and connected the BLACK/RED to the RED wire, which didn't allow me to start the car.
      > I am really starting to wonder how can the alarm system go off without the alarm box.
      As for the bypass, I said he tried to bypass, not that he succeeded.
      Are you a Troll?

The alarm system cannot possibly go off if it's missing and bypassed.

Maybe you're making this up, or maybe you looked in the wrong place, and bypassed the wrong wires in the wrong connector.

THE MISSING ALARM MODULE CANNOT SOUND THE ALARM.

If this is a legit Thread, you should take a closer look under the dashboard. You will find the alarm module hangingbehind there somewhere. OR, maybe a PO (previous owner) installed an aftermarket alarm system under the dash somewhere. EITHER WAY, there is an active alarm system under the dashboard somewhere.
      Last edited by germancarnut51; 03-13-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      03-13-2011 02:14 PM #18
      http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t/100_7104.jpg

this is what the plug from your alarm should look like and those are the red and red black wires that need to be jumped. Find your alarm module and make sure there isn't anything plugged into it.

19. 03-13-2011 03:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VW82Gtifreak View Post
      Is your alarm light flashing at the door lock?
      If it is you still have an alarm module
      did you disconnect the horn in the rain tray?
      If you did you still have an alarm module.

Stop cutting wires your making a bigger headache for yourself.
      Go back to dans website and jump the proper wires.

It works. I tried it.
      I'm not cutting anything. All the mess that's in the car, was there when we bought it.
      The alarm isnt and has never flashed on the door lock.
      I did have to disconnect the horn in the rain tray.

Here's another couple of picture showing that there's simply no alarm module. I can also not locate any plug that should be going inside this alarm box. I really wonder how's the horn going off. This guy wired the two (what I suppose to be ancient alarm plugs) wires to a relay, could it be it?
      See for yourself there's nothing left of the factory alarm system, and I can't see any custom one... http://img853.imageshack.us/g/img0784uc.jpg/

Vehicles
      97 GTI, 09 Jetta TDI
      03-13-2011 05:23 PM #20
      I believe I've circled the plugs for the alarm module from one of your pictures.

The two large wires on the bottom of the bottom plug are what you'd hack up to bypass the alarm.

Cheddarwagen MKII - Sold

21. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      03-13-2011 05:41 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by fliz View Post
      I believe I've circled the plugs for the alarm module from one of your pictures.

The two large wires on the bottom of the bottom plug are what you'd hack up to bypass the alarm.

The photo would make more sense if you flipped it over right side up.

22. 03-13-2011 06:58 PM #22

You're the man. Worked perfectly! Thanks again!!!

23. 03-13-2011 07:20 PM #23
      Last thing I might bother you with. There's this "Check" light, along with the Airbag light that pop'd up along with the battery change. So I'm wondering if I might have pulled a wire or something?

24. 03-13-2011 09:34 PM #24
      ok the Airbag goes away after a few when I turn on the engine, but the Check sign stays on at all times, I think I might have unplugged a wire when touching the fuse box. There's a red/white wire hanging there.
      Does any of you have a diagram/picture of the plugs behind the fuse box?

25. 03-13-2011 11:00 PM #25
      Try resetting the check engine light. This may involve disconnecting the negative cable for 5 minutes and reconnect. Or get the codes read

26. 03-14-2011 12:12 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by VW82Gtifreak View Post
      Try resetting the check engine light. This may involve disconnecting the negative cable for 5 minutes and reconnect. Or get the codes read
      What do you mean by "get the codes read" ?

Vehicles
      97 GTI, 09 Jetta TDI
      03-14-2011 09:52 AM #27
      1997 is OBDII engine. Go to your local auto parts store, most of them will plug in a scanner and read the error codes that are causing the CEL to light up for free.
      Cheddarwagen MKII - Sold

28. 01-11-2012 01:48 PM #28

Sorry for the necro bump but

What do you mean by hack the wires?

I'm having a similar problem with my car. It randomly engaged the alarm and now won't dis-engage. Therefore not allowing my starter to work

29. 01-11-2012 02:14 PM #29
      Go here and scroll to bottom to see how to bypass the alarm:
      http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...diag/index.htm