Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TCM compatible between 02 Gti 1.8T and 02 Jetta 1.8T

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t
      03-14-2011 02:57 AM #1
      Ok here's my question, im pretty sure my tcm is bad because it wont will shift from 2nd-3rd and will register on my dash but it wont engage into 3rd gear itself... I found a tcm out of a jetta 1.8t that is also tiptronic, im trying to figure out if they would be compatible....anyone able to help me out?

2. 03-18-2011 12:08 AM #2
      Do you have a part number from the tcm? It should be the same between the jetta and the gti. I know the 02 jetta 1.8t uses 09a 927 750 t which was superseded by 09a 927 750 aj. The original was replaced because it was know to give harsh shifts and could lead to further problems with the transmission.
      Last edited by car009; 03-18-2011 at 12:18 AM.

3. 03-19-2011 07:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedMK4GTI View Post
      Ok here's my question, im pretty sure my tcm is bad because it wont will shift from 2nd-3rd and will register on my dash but it wont engage into 3rd gear itself... I found a tcm out of a jetta 1.8t that is also tiptronic, im trying to figure out if they would be compatible....anyone able to help me out?
      Definitely try the TCM. Just replaced the one in my Jetta after several different tranny codes were detected. Even took the tranny apart to change all the solenoids, didn't fix it. Changed the TCM in about 30mins and car drives like its brand new! No jerky shifting, hesitation, and tiptronic is working again.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      03-23-2011 06:04 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by car009 View Post
      ... I know the 02 jetta 1.8t uses 09a 927 750 t which was superseded by 09a 927 750 aj. The original was replaced because it was know to give harsh shifts and could lead to further problems with the transmission.
      Is there a TSB about this?

I have an early 02 Jetta tippy that uses 09a 927 750 t TCM, and is stuck in limp mode (throwing codes for two solenoids). I'm doing all the solenoids this weekend, but I have a local TCM 09a 927 750 BM available. Any idea if a -BM will drop in where the -T was, without breaking anything? I can live with different shift points, whatever, I just don't want to do any (further) damage to the tranny.

What are the chances the codes come from a bad TCM?

5. 03-23-2011 11:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      Is there a TSB about this?

I have an early 02 Jetta tippy that uses 09a 927 750 t TCM, and is stuck in limp mode (throwing codes for two solenoids). I'm doing all the solenoids this weekend, but I have a local TCM 09a 927 750 BM available. Any idea if a -BM will drop in where the -T was, without breaking anything? I can live with different shift points, whatever, I just don't want to do any (further) damage to the tranny.

What are the chances the codes come from a bad TCM?
      Mine was throwing codes for two different solenoids as well, changed solenoids and it was still throwing codes for bad solenoids. Turns out it was the TCM all along. I would suggest changing the TCM first. tearing the tranny apart is quite a chore. From what I can find there is no TSB about the bad TCM and replacing it with a -aj, just that the later cars used the -aj. The 09a 927 750 bm is also for the same transmission so I don't think there should be any way it could damage the transmission. If all else fails try calling a VW shop and ask if they are interchangeable, they might give you an answer or they might now.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-23-2011 11:56 PM #6
      Hmm .. That makes me think ...

Mine went into limp mode at about 80 MPH, all of the sudden, after about 2 hrs driving. OK, heat I figure. Next day I reset the codes on a cold tranny, and they came right back. Maybe it's not heat ...

I haven't ohm-d out the solenoids at the TCM connector yet; will definitely do that before starting to drop the pan. If they are bad, then check the harness, then change the solenoids.

If they ohm out good, then I'll know it's the TCM, and I'll try the -BM TCM.

BTW, this is an AWP motor, EYN tippy, and codes are "N89 open or short to + intermittent" and "N92 Open or short to +"

I'll update with results ......

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-27-2011 08:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post

BTW, this is an AWP motor, EYN tippy, and codes are "N89 open or short to + intermittent" and "N92 Open or short to +"

I'll update with results ......
      Add me to the 'fixed by new solenoids' list

N92 did indeed test bad, 1.3 ohms, at the TCM connector, but everything else tested OK. Changed out 8 of the 9 solenoids, (skipped N93 because it was behind a bunch of wiring). The N92 tested at 1.3 ohms even after I pulled it. No obvious damage except for a heat discolored plastic connector, more than the others. (BTW, there is a good document for troubleshooting these solenoids at the Land Rover owners site: http://www.muddyoval.com/articles/fl...sion/index.htm It has the pin-out for the bulkhead connector on the transmission as well as the TCM)

My 02 Jetta GLS drives great now! No codes are thrown. There was a pronounced hesitation at the 2-3 shift before, now it's gone completely and all the shifts are much smoother. I didn't start an adaptation; not sure if one was triggered by the battery being disconnected for most of the day. Only about 10 miles on it so far, but it's great to be out of limp mode!

(Post above said the tranny was an EYN. Well, that's what the buld label said, but I found EYP on the tranny. Guess someone replaced the tranny at some point prior to me getting the car a few months ago).
      Last edited by Charlie_M; 03-27-2011 at 08:54 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t
      04-12-2011 05:33 AM #8
      i found the tcm (aj) had it replaced and reprogrammed... they changed my tranny fluid and came to the verdict that my tranny is blown FML!