Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Off-Road Capable Stock Vehicle

1. Member
      Vehicles
      13' 4-dr GTI
      05-23-2011 01:41 PM #141
      2 Door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is the all around choice because size matters off-road. As others have said, D44's and lockers from the factory, the ability to run 33s stock, or 35s with just a budget boost, and an extremely good aftermarket to cater to your wildest or mildest dreams. Comes available with a stick or auto, so if you want a manual you are in luck, and the optional hardtop is 3 pieces of awesomeness that lets you take off just the front portion for open air fun.

Easy and common parts availability is important. A defender 90 looks cool, but who's going to have parts when things go bad?

The JKs also have infinitely better on-road driveability of the TJ, so the sucker will even be more pleasant when you commute or run around during the week.

The only weakness is the subpar engine, but at least the gearing is there to support 33s cleanly since the factory setup is already 32s...and of course you can regear.

Just a great package. Want a little more light, you can put off-road light housing where the sideview mirrors are. Easy to put on a winch friendly bumper. Being body-on-frame it can be repaired easier.

Vehicles
      MK1/L322/VZ/E24
      06-02-2011 01:52 AM #142
      i know its older than 5 years old, but i'm a big fan of my P38 Range Rover that i picked up for $1500

i wouldn't take it rock crawling, but overall i still think the LRs are among some of the best out there, and make for a great all-round vehicle to have around if you can afford to feed it.
      MK1 Scirocco S | L322 Range Rover SC | E24 6 series | VZ Monaro CV8

President of PKG
      "Oh, you're the Iowa guys!" ---> www.projektgerman.com

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-02-2011 07:56 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by whitemore55 View Post
      Are you crazy. How anyone may be so careless?
      That's not careless, that's offroading.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST, 2015 Mustang GT
      06-03-2011 01:43 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      2 Door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is the all around choice because size matters off-road. As others have said, D44's and lockers from the factory, the ability to run 33s stock, or 35s with just a budget boost, and an extremely good aftermarket to cater to your wildest or mildest dreams. Comes available with a stick or auto, so if you want a manual you are in luck, and the optional hardtop is 3 pieces of awesomeness that lets you take off just the front portion for open air fun.

Easy and common parts availability is important. A defender 90 looks cool, but who's going to have parts when things go bad?

The JKs also have infinitely better on-road driveability of the TJ, so the sucker will even be more pleasant when you commute or run around during the week.

The only weakness is the subpar engine, but at least the gearing is there to support 33s cleanly since the factory setup is already 32s...and of course you can regear.

Just a great package. Want a little more light, you can put off-road light housing where the sideview mirrors are. Easy to put on a winch friendly bumper. Being body-on-frame it can be repaired easier.
      What makes you say JK's are so much better on road, just out of genuine curiosity.

Vehicles
      1973 Super Beetle, 2004 RS R32, 2012 Touareg VR6, 2009 Tiguan SEL
      06-20-2011 05:32 PM #145
      How did this post get to 5 pages and no one has yet mentioned a Touareg. With Air-Suspension you get 11.8 inches of ground clearance in Off-Road mode optional locking center and rear diffs.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      06-20-2011 07:30 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by gtibobvr6 View Post
      How did this post get to 5 pages and no one has yet mentioned a Touareg. With Air-Suspension you get 11.8 inches of ground clearance in Off-Road mode optional locking center and rear diffs.
      Which means it has one less locker then a Wrangler, has a longer wheel base, no aftermarket and no one trusts an air-suspension . It is also fairly big. An LC200 is a better choice at that price point and it isn't going to be as good in the rocks as a Wrangler.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      06-21-2011 08:51 AM #147
      True that the Touareg isnt as capable as a Wrangler but if you are soft roading, it could handle it. I would love a TDI powered one with coil suspension at the highest position. If it wasnt for the fact that they command TOO much money, I think I would own one.

8. 06-26-2011 11:51 AM #148
      I think H2 is equipped very well from the factory, there's not much one would need to modify if he decides: add winch, HD tierods (known weakspots), ability to run 37' tires without lift.

Pros (in stock form):

- skid plates, rock slider rails, and underbody protections
      - rear Easton locker
      - minimum overhangs
      - 2500HD differential pumpkins
      - room for passengers and lots of gear (2000 lb load capacity)
      - D-rings at 4 points

Cons:

- size (I see how it can be too big at narrow forest trails, but is it so in Moab?)
      - visibility, big blind spots
      - 12~14 mpg

I think it's not difficult to find many decent ones that have not been abused.
      Last edited by Astroboy; 06-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Vehicles
      06-27-2011 11:58 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
      I think H2
      Just stop right there.

10. 06-27-2011 03:29 PM #150
      Besides silliness and political correctness arguments with which often surrounds H2

Am I mistaken to think that H2 is just as well equipped as Rubicon? Perhaps just as capable, no? I've never done actual offroading, so I don't know much. But I'm curious and here to learn.

Thanks.

(I am biased, because I currently own H2 and love it... Yes, I've crossed to the dark side. This is contrary to how I used to loath every SUVs in the city when I only drove GTI with boy-racer mentality. My excuse: I needed tow stuff)
      Last edited by Astroboy; 06-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
      I take bus to work everyday. My wife is scheming to make me to part with my dear vehicles.
      [ 78 Yamaha HL500, SR500 Cafe, XT500 Flatracker | 00 Kawasaki W650 | 97 GTI VR6 Ginster | 08 Hummer H2 | 07 International CCD ]

Vehicles
      06-27-2011 03:47 PM #151
      Besides silliness and political correctness arguments with which often surrounds H2

Am I mistaken to think that H2 is just as well equipped as Rubicon? Perhaps just as capable, no? I've never tried offroading, so I don't know much. But I'm curious and here to learn.

Thanks.

(I am biased, because I currently own H2 and love it... Yes, I've crossed to the dark side. This is contrary to how I used to loath every SUVs in the city when GTI was my only vehicle. My excuses: I needed tow stuff)
      No and no. Youve got a Tahoe with a different body on it. Its a lumbering thing that really is only supposed to give off that off road, close to Hummer look. Just because you can fit big tires on it doesnt mean that its good off road. You have so many things going against you than you do for you. As a tow rig, itll work.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      06-27-2011 05:39 PM #152
      I've never done actual offroading, so I don't know much.
      Your Hummer is far from superior offroad.
      There's probably a dozen rigs I'd prefer to it.

H2 weighs 6600lbs, Rubicon weighs 3700lbs.

Great for towing, not that great for bouncing around on trails... BUT, it's not going to explode the minute it leaves the pavement.

I seriously mean this, go wheel your H2. It's going to do fine on sand, fire roads, and other simple things. Don't go alone, and bring a shovel & tow strap. You'll learn more driving your truck in 1 day than you can reading words on the internet. Go have fun, don't tear stuff up & give off roaders a bad name, just go enjoy it.
      Last edited by deucestudios; 06-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

13. 06-27-2011 06:19 PM #153
      H2's ladder frame chassis is actually made from the front half of 3/4-ton Silverado frame and rear half of 1/2-ton Tahoe frame, and it's boxed and extensively reinforced. Its track and the wheelbase are also significantly different from Tahoe, much wider and longer, yet vehicle is shorter overall.

Just like I don't dismiss the performance of GTI R32, Beetle RSi, or Audi TT solely because all share the same chassis and components with entry-level Golf, I can't categorically dismiss H2.

It's offered from the factory arguably very capable with one of the best clearance, approach angles, and axle components. There's a skid plate for the front, another skid plate for the gas tank, and underbody cage protection which run the whole length and wraps the transmission, the transfer case, and the exhausts. I was sold.

But I understand H2 is heavy and cumbersome.
      Last edited by Astroboy; 06-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.
      I take bus to work everyday. My wife is scheming to make me to part with my dear vehicles.
      [ 78 Yamaha HL500, SR500 Cafe, XT500 Flatracker | 00 Kawasaki W650 | 97 GTI VR6 Ginster | 08 Hummer H2 | 07 International CCD ]

14. 06-27-2011 06:20 PM #154
      When I bought it, I was looking for a tow truck that could go affroad: I had 2 choices: Buy F-150 and go thru the trouble of lifting and swapping the axles, drive shafts, tires and adding bumpers and bits and whatnot, or just pay up for H2 and leave it mostly stock. I use H2 to tow my bikes and camper. I like having fun with my offroad bikes in California parks. I just haven't gotten to the point where I want to risk my truck in the trails.

I know, it's silly of me for wanting to defend and justify my purchase

Thanks all.

15. 06-27-2011 06:25 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      You'll learn more driving your truck in 1 day than you can reading words on the internet.
      Agreed.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GTI 16v, 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
      06-28-2011 04:28 PM #156
      The steering components make for a fun day on the trail when they snap on a H2. Thats a definate must to upgrade before going anywhere.
      Last edited by VapedTalon; 06-28-2011 at 04:55 PM.
      XboxLive: MotoSoul
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

I don't understand why some people don't use capitalization when typing on the internet? Capitalization is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Vehicles
      2012 SX4, 86 GTI track machine
      07-03-2011 01:50 AM #157
      I'm surprised the FJ hasn't been mentioned, i have seen some stock ones go through some CRAZY stuff in AZ it was more rock crawling, no mud but it truly was amazing to see a bone stock vehicle with all seasons just crawling up that stuff. A true Billie goat in the right hands.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-03-2011 10:19 AM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by shadylurker View Post
      I'm surprised the FJ hasn't been mentioned, i have seen some stock ones go through some CRAZY stuff in AZ it was more rock crawling, no mud but it truly was amazing to see a bone stock vehicle with all seasons just crawling up that stuff. A true Billie goat in the right hands.
      It's been mentioned multiple times in this thread, but it's IFS, fat body, and low visibility sets it behind the Wrangler Rubicon.

Basically, there are a number of really, really good off-the shelf 4x4's on the market now, pretty much every one has been mentioned. But at the end of the day, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon still seems to trump each of them in some respect. The level of offroad-equipment just can't be beat. I'm not even a Jeep guy and I can see that.
      Last edited by Sporin; 07-03-2011 at 02:59 PM.
      Ukemafia.com

19. Junior Member fendrjgstng94's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 Wrangler
      07-09-2011 07:54 PM #159
      wrangler rubicon. and its not very expensive. compared to hummer or land rover

20. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      12-30-2011 11:55 AM #160
      In the spirit of honesty...

I found and bought a Wrangler. It's a '98 with 140k, the 2.5L 4 banger, and it's got some cosmetic and mechanical issues. But.

It totally nullifies any argument I had for this entire thread. The foundation for any argument I was making was based around price, and that my friends, is no longer a factor. TJ Wrangler has dropped to the price point of the XJ...

I won't be getting rid of my XJ, but I am starting to dabble around in the TJ realm now.

Last edited by deucestudios; 04-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      12-30-2011 06:02 PM #161
      Mostly because I have one... But, a stock 85' 4runner with some 33's on it will go almost anywhere. The 85 is fuel injected and straight axle, and the 33's will fit in the fenders with stock suspension. The 4 cylinder puts out decent power and gets awesome fuel economy for a 4wd. Not to mention it has enough space for multiple passengers + gear in the back. It's also narrow enough for heavily wooded trails in the PNW.

This one isn't mine. But appears to be stock height with 33's.

I've ridden in an H2 off-road and will honestly say that I was thoroughly disappointed. I would easily take an H3 over an H2 offroad, and I can think of dozens of SUV's and trucks I would buy before either of those.
      Last edited by wRek; 12-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 Audi A4 P+ (Hers)
      12-31-2011 11:29 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      In the spirit of honesty...
      Welcome. I hope you enjoy it, after all that.

--[Tapatalk/Nexus One]--

Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 Audi A4 P+ (Hers)
      12-31-2011 11:35 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by wRek View Post
      Mostly because I have one... But, a stock 85' 4runner with some 33's
      I'm on my phone so can't easily flip back and forth to lookup figures. I'm thinking the stocck wrangler still has a shorter wheelbase and shorter overhangs so on the tires you can get from the factory or fit.on stock suspension its got better off road performance capabilities. Does anyone have the numbers and calculations for BOA, Approach, and Departure on a 4runner to compare to a wrangler?

--[Tapatalk/Nexus One]--

24. Member
      12-31-2011 12:10 PM #164
      Even though im a jeep nut and think the rubicon is sweet i vote for UNIMOG!!! nothing else even comes close. taken from wikipedia. Ground clearance: 476 mm (18.7 in) (varies with tyre)
      Approach: 44 degrees
      Departure: 53 degrees

Climb: Max.45 degrees
      Descent: Max.45 degrees

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      12-31-2011 01:11 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by robbyb413 View Post
      I'm on my phone so can't easily flip back and forth to lookup figures. I'm thinking the stocck wrangler still has a shorter wheelbase and shorter overhangs so on the tires you can get from the factory or fit.on stock suspension its got better off road performance capabilities. Does anyone have the numbers and calculations for BOA, Approach, and Departure on a 4runner to compare to a wrangler?

--[Tapatalk/Nexus One]--
      I missed the part in the original post where it said no cost cap. In that case, I will agree with you on the Wrangler. If I needed to haul other people and extra gear, I would definitely put up with the little extra overhang of the 4runner.

oh herro.

Vehicles
      1990, mk2 16vt gti
      12-31-2011 05:34 PM #166
      I still love my land rover discovery series 1 it goes every where I tell it to. It's small. Over 1000lb capacity for my gear. Seats 7 with the jump seats. Great visibility. There really isn't a down side to the truck. And it doesn't matter what you own there will be a down side to it in some way. That's what makes it it's own. And I couldn't find a jeep of the same age for the same money that wasn't a rusted out clunker. My disco was cheap and ever at a stock ride height with street tires it keeps up with my brothers 87 4runner with 33's

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      01-02-2012 01:36 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by boost is better View Post
      Even though im a jeep nut and think the rubicon is sweet i vote for UNIMOG!!!
      Those suck! Hehe

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      01-02-2012 11:45 AM #168
      I've owned, 'wheeled, and loved 2 different '85 4runners, and they are great trucks, but if the question is "Most Off-Road Capable Stock Vehicle" then they pale in comparison to a new Wrangler Rubicon. They also cannot take a 33" tire stock, mine barely took a 31" on the stock springs.

RUBICON = Short wheelbase, low-geared Tcase, standard big, aggressive tires, coil-sprung, SOLID axles front & rear, selectable LOCKERS front & rear. There's nothing that comes close imo.

There are LOTS of trucks that are GREAT offroad, even stock, but none offer the combination of size and equipment that the Rubicon does.

And I'm not a Jeep guy at all.
      Ukemafia.com

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      01-02-2012 02:15 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      They also cannot take a 33" tire stock, mine barely took a 31" on the stock springs.
      They actually can. I have a 4" lift going on it later this month, but right now it's on stock suspension. A little hammer work to the fender wells and it barely rubs. The fender gap looks a little bigger than it actually is in front because I'm parked in a weird spot on the side of my driveway. I'm contemplating going up to 35's later this year after the lift is on, as I need more ground clearance than articulation.

oh herro.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      01-02-2012 02:25 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by wRek View Post
      They actually can. I have a 4" lift going on it later this month, but right now it's on stock suspension. A little hammer work to the fender wells and it barely rubs. The fender gap looks a little bigger than it actually is in front because I'm parked in a weird spot on the side of my driveway. I'm contemplating going up to 35's later this year after the lift is on, as I need more ground clearance than articulation.

I stand corrected! Your stock springs must be in great shape. I was rubbing lugs with 3" MT's on mine flexed up (stuffed).
      Ukemafia.com

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      01-02-2012 03:10 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I stand corrected! Your stock springs must be in great shape. I was rubbing lugs with 3" MT's on mine flexed up (stuffed).
      The fronts are in pretty good shape, but the rears are saggier than a 90 year old. By the end of this month it should look much better!
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      '00 LX470, '84 Toy "crawler"
      01-03-2012 06:26 PM #172
      I think you guys forgot about the less than 5 yrs old part... I still vote Unimog.

33. 01-06-2012 02:50 AM #173
      some of you guys completely missed the point of this thread. LR still makes very capable rigs but because I am practical I would give my vote to the Jeep Wrangler right out of the show room is quite impressive, even if it has grown a little large in its later years.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      01-06-2012 10:01 AM #174
      Oh crap.

It's 2012.

2006 TJ Wrangler isn't 5 years old anymore. It no longer counts...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast