Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car wont start when wet

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit TD
      03-16-2011 02:35 AM #1
      Hi, I have a 91 gti 16v, and it wont start when it is raining or wet. At all other times it runs practically perfect (I say practically because it is 20 years old), but whenever it rains, even if it just started, simply the humidity will make it not work. When it is raining the car will crank, and then when it finally catches it will just hind of give a dull thump and die, kind of like a "sigh"... This had been a problem as far back as november, but with the winter and the cold I guess it wasnt humid enough to be a problem? With the spring, all of the moisture is killing it. Right now it is sitting by my work, because it was a beautiful day and I drove it there, but then when I got off it was raining and the car wouldnt start.

Any help?

The battery also died about a week ago the day after it rained. It sat all day in the rain and wouldnt start, and then the next morning the battery was dead, but as soon as I jumped it it started right up. Since then, it has rained and then stopped raining 2 times, and every time when it rains it wont start, but almost as soon as it is done it starts right up.

I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor as of 4 days ago, and the same problems are still occurring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      Im sick of typical... 81 TD Rabbit LE19: Bugsy

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit TD
      03-16-2011 11:49 AM #2
      Anyone? Please?

Vehicles
      91 2.0L ABA GTI, 14 TDI JSW
      03-16-2011 11:53 AM #3
      Check your ignition coil. Over time, the plastic casing can develop cracks and could let moisture in. There's also the possibility that your coil could be getting wet due to location. I've got a friend with a Rabbit that wouldn't start whenever it rained because his coil was sitting right under the vents in his hood.

Vehicles
      91 golf, 90 jetta, 70 beetle
      03-16-2011 01:48 PM #4
      ignition coil ftw

5. Member
      03-16-2011 01:55 PM #5
      Take the cover off the raintray and make sure it's clean and not full of debris that may block the drain holes causing the ecu to sit in some mucky water.

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit TD
      03-16-2011 01:59 PM #6
      Ignition coil looks fine, its under the rain tray, so there really isnt any way for it to get wet, and im not in the habit of leaving my hood open when it rains...

Update: So it rained last night, and wouldnt start. I went over and picked it up today and it started right up. It smoked for about a minute out of the tailpipe, and that got me really worried, but then it stopped and was fine. I drove it home and it kind of has a hesitation when I accelerate, it will kind of stutter while it accelerates, but once it gets to like 3000rpms its fine.?

But yeah, the main problem is that it wont start when its wet, thanks for all the help

7. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      03-16-2011 02:26 PM #7
      It is trying to tell you it does not like wet weather.

Seriously though, I agree with the above, as it sounds like an electrical/moisture issue.
      I will add, have you checked the cap and rotor recently?
      Also, take a look under the dash at the relays on a rainy day; do any of the areas surrounding them get damp?
      It could be an issue there with humidity causing contacts to not close like they should.
      Look at the fuel pump relay (upper right 2nd in from end) and the load reluctor relay (lower left 2nd or 3rd in from end).
      Those two might be part of the problem.
      Just to rule them out you could order them from germanautoparts.com or partsgeek.
      Just tips, good luck.
      Last edited by nbvwfan; 03-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Vehicles
      91 2.0L ABA GTI, 14 TDI JSW
      03-16-2011 02:28 PM #8
      Did you remove the coil and inspect it all the way around? Most of the fractures I've seen you really have to look close to see but are enough of a problem to cause arching issues.

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      03-16-2011 02:29 PM #9
      i had a similar issue. i washed the subframe and then the car wouldnt start all day. the next day i got it to work, and still cant find the problem. so now i keep it in the garage at all times.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      92 16v, 95 M3
      03-16-2011 02:45 PM #10
      I would clean all the electrical connectors under the hood, motronic wiring harnesses are pron to get a bit oxidized.

This stuff dose the job

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      03-16-2011 03:04 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-D View Post
      I would clean all the electrical connectors under the hood, motronic wiring harnesses are pron to get a bit oxidized.

This stuff dose the job
      i used that stuff. the car was idling funny for the first few starts but then its fine again
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit TD
      03-17-2011 01:16 AM #12
      Ok, ill find some of that Electrical Cleaner and do work under the hood. I just disconnect them all, spray on both ends, and then plug back in?

Just something else, if the car never gets wet under the hood, like, it is sitting and not moving, so no water can get in at all, that means that all of my problems must be caused simply by humidity. what does that mean? Bad grounds? Bad connections? Bad wiring?

Thanks!

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      03-17-2011 08:55 PM #13
      It could be grounds. That's what I think my issue was. I just have no idea which grounds to check on my 9a.
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      1991 GTI a.k.a. Blackie, 1995 Golf a.ka. Little Red
      03-17-2011 09:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by absentee View Post
      Hi, I have a 91 gti 16v, and it wont start when it is raining or wet. At all other times it runs practically perfect (I say practically because it is 20 years old), but whenever it rains, even if it just started, simply the humidity will make it not work. When it is raining the car will crank, and then when it finally catches it will just hind of give a dull thump and die, kind of like a "sigh"... This had been a problem as far back as november, but with the winter and the cold I guess it wasnt humid enough to be a problem? With the spring, all of the moisture is killing it. Right now it is sitting by my work, because it was a beautiful day and I drove it there, but then when I got off it was raining and the car wouldnt start.

Any help?

The battery also died about a week ago the day after it rained. It sat all day in the rain and wouldnt start, and then the next morning the battery was dead, but as soon as I jumped it it started right up. Since then, it has rained and then stopped raining 2 times, and every time when it rains it wont start, but almost as soon as it is done it starts right up.

I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor as of 4 days ago, and the same problems are still occurring.

Replacing the cap and rotor was a good idea but what about the wires ? How old are they ?

There's an old trick where you run the car after dark and use a spray bottle to lightly mist water all around the engine bay. If you see any kind of arcing that might be the source of your problems.
      I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      1991 GTI a.k.a. Blackie, 1995 Golf a.ka. Little Red
      03-17-2011 09:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by absentee View Post

Any help?

Also clean the hell out of the all connectors to the battery , both pos and neg with some sand paper . This can only help.
      I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      90 Gli 16v, 04 Gli 20vt
      03-17-2011 10:19 PM #16
      im curious as to why this is happening to you. i had this same problem once after washing my engine bay. car ran like ish, but after 3500 rpm it was golden. couldnt find moisture in anything, ie: Dist Cap/Rotor, Plug Wires, Coil, nothing. Come to find out it was my injector seals. Once they were introduced to water the car ran like junk. It would always start tho, so that part idk about. good luck man, hope you figure it out.

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit TD
      03-19-2011 03:43 AM #17
      Thanks for all the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by J.Knipl View Post
      Replacing the cap and rotor was a good idea but what about the wires ? How old are they ?

There's an old trick where you run the car after dark and use a spray bottle to lightly mist water all around the engine bay. If you see any kind of arcing that might be the source of your problems.
      I dont know how old the cap/rotor were, so i replaced them. The wires are neuspeed and they look to be in good condition (those are some of the nicest wires you can buy, they shouldnt be going bad, should they?). I also tried the spray bottle trick just now, and there was no arching of any sort. I sprayed more than just a "light mist" on the entire engine and pretty much everywhere in the bay, and nothing changed. It ran fine even when everything was pretty wet.

Also clean the hell out of the all connectors to the battery , both pos and neg with some sand paper . This can only help.
      There is no corrosion on any of the battery terminals, and they are connected just fine. They look to be in practically perfect condition. But ill see what I can do.

im curious as to why this is happening to you. i had this same problem once after washing my engine bay. car ran like ish, but after 3500 rpm it was golden. couldnt find moisture in anything, ie: Dist Cap/Rotor, Plug Wires, Coil, nothing. Come to find out it was my injector seals. Once they were introduced to water the car ran like junk. It would always start tho, so that part idk about. good luck man, hope you figure it out.
      Sound like the same problem to me. Would yours like stumble and jerk when it was at low rpms? Mine does, and then as soon as im revving it higher it seems ok, but there still is like no power, or at least not as much...

I still need to get some electrical cleaner, hopefully tomorrow, and then wait for it to rain again and see what happens

Thanks for all the help!

Vehicles
      2002 Vw Jolf
      03-19-2011 04:49 PM #18
      These cars have minds of thier own.... they start when they want to... if they are tired of you're **** they will stall and give you a big middle finger.

You probubly got the I WILL NOT START IN RAIN edition. You should find it on the side of you door

Mine will not start if i turn it off at a drive-thru... must have got the, will not start in drive thru edition.... damn...

But seriously, sounds like bad a connection somewhere, or its hiding water somewhere on some electronic part of the car... lol
      #Built Not Bought
      2.slow
      Jolf
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      Nitrous is like a smokin hot chick with AIDS and Herpes. You REALLY wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences...

Vehicles
      90 Gli 16v, 04 Gli 20vt
      03-20-2011 11:45 PM #19
      mine actually never stumbled and jerked. just had no power whatsoever. i could hold the gas to the floor and it wouldnt even make an attempt to rise in rpm for about ten seconds. its golden now tho.

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      03-26-2011 09:07 PM #20
      did you ever find out what causes the problem?
      Carbs wiring diagrams