Yes, the little Cabby likes to go drag racing every once in awhile. Is it fast? Well, no, not really. Or at least not yet. She'll get there Just wanting a place to document and get advice on what to do next.
May 5 2010
The only changes for this session were a pair of drag radials and a fuel enrichment circuit.
I'm assuming the drag radials helped the most. Averaged 16.36 seconds at 83.12 MPH with a best of 16.105 at 83.65
Also managed to do a little damage this time
I drove it home with the exhaust cracked, but couldn't go until I replaced a blown out wheel bearing the next morning. The nice folks at BIR were kind enough to let me keep it there over night and do the repairs right there.
Currently preparing for another summer of drag racing. Hoping to get there more than once this year. A little more drastic modifications this year. I'm now running a VR6.
More on that here.
A stock 1993 Passat VR6 will run 16.6 seconds weighing 3152 lbs
A stock 1995 GTI with the same motor will run 15.5 seconds at 2511 lbs
The Cabby weighs between 2000 and 2300 lbs. I will get it weighed before I go.
Is high 14's wishful thinking?
Got the Cabby weighed a couple weeks ago. Just under 2400 lbs.
Tried to go racing last night but it was not meant to be. CEL came on on the drive up and it started misfiring. Also lost control of the clutch. Had a fun drive home.
I went up with two other cars and only one got to race. One lost his alternator on the way up and spent the night replacing it.
Better luck next time.
So this weekend is going to be filled with figuring out why the clutch failed, checking the codes, and fixing whatever is causing my misfire.
So, what is normal for a stock VR6?Sounds very low to me.
In fact, Ive never seen one lay numbers that low.
If the compression numbers arent low you cant attribute it to the high miles and something else must wrong.
I checked compression before I did the swap. I do not recall the exact numbers, but they were good and even across the cylinders.
A couple of possibilities are for my low power are
1. I still have a misfire issue after the car has been running for at least an hour. It seems like something electronic is getting hot and causing it. I was thinking coil or ICM. I did the Ford coil swap and still have the same problem.
2. I get a couple of codes yet, but nothing that I would think would effect power. Vehicle speed sensor comes up regularly. Engine speed sensor and oxygen sensor come up occasionally. Usually only on longer drives.
Time to start thinking about drag racing again.
Unfortunately, I still have not figured out the misfiring issue. However, I have been driving it and it has not been a problem yet this year. Maybe not warm enough out yet.
Plans for this season...
1.8T IAT sensor and I got a great deal on a set of Autotech 262s last night.
Install pics to come.
Well, the Autotech 262s turned out to be DRC 268/264s. Not ideal for the mk3 VR6, but better than the 262s. But like I said, got a great deal on them.
Dispite some people saying I should not install them, I went ahead and did it anyway. I found plenty of people saying they run these cams on stock springs. I literally just finished. Started and idles fine. Haven't even gotten cleaned up for a test drive yet. Sorry, no pics. Got a little excited with the tools.
The 1.8T IAT is also done.
May 9th is the first open drag night at BIR. If it keeps running like it has been and the weather is nice, I'll be there.
Forgot to mention how bad drag racing went this year. Tranny issues would not let me shift into second gear. I only made two runs before I gave up.
On the plus side, I did figure out what my misfire was.
So, onto plans for next year. Motor and tranny are already out for the winter. I picked up a Raddo tranny with an LSD and a 10lb flywheel. Also got a TT cam chip. I was running the chip the last part of the summer. Amazing what an extra 1000 rpm will do.
While the motor is out, going to install ARP rod bolts to keep everything together at 7000 rpm and take care of some oil leaks from the underside.
It had been running fine all spring on 89 octane. The week before I was to go racing, I started running 92. It started missing at high RPM. So, I decided to pump out the 92 and dump 89 back in. I pulled the fuel line at the engine and jumped the fuel pump relay. The fuel trickled out. At first, I thought fuel pump, but when I went to take it out, there was that tiny filter hiding up there.
I had previously suspected a fuel problem so I checked pressure at that time. I had probably checked it with engine off, so the fact that there was no flow would not have shown.
I am still trying to understand why there were only symtoms when I ran the 92 octane.
Plenty of good pics in there.