Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw these at the VW dealer yesterday...

03-17-2011 10:52 AM #36
      out here in Calgary this would be perfect. there is no need for A/C 3400 feet above sea level and at the base of the rockies

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      03-17-2011 10:55 AM #37
      I think this is a great idea. Will they sell many like this? No. Will that price get people in the door? Yes. bring people in with the cheap car, then they say, "I love it! but put a radio in it. And AC. Can I get it with power mirrors?" And boom. Now you're selling a Jetta that's $2000 more, and the customer still thinks they're getting a cheap car. I know if I had a very limited budget, this is the car I'd choose over a Hyundai or used Honda or something of the sort.

Honda did this for years with cheap Civics. 4 Speed manual, driver's side mirror only, no hubcaps, no AC, AM/FM radio only, vinyl seats, etc.
      93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      03-17-2011 10:59 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by drhavoc View Post
      out here in Calgary this would be perfect.
      Yeah, and here in Texas, not so much
      My current 97 2.slo Golf is my first car ever with a working A/C, and I won't give THAT up
      I'm OK with power nothing (except for mirrors) and manual is a given. Radio prep much preferred over OEM radio.
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI, 2007 Jetta
      03-17-2011 11:05 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperdan View Post
      I think this is a great idea. Will they sell many like this? No. Will that price get people in the door? Yes. bring people in with the cheap car, then they say, "I love it! but put a radio in it. And AC. Can I get it with power mirrors?" And boom. Now you're selling a Jetta that's $2000 more, and the customer still thinks they're getting a cheap car. I know if I had a very limited budget, this is the car I'd choose over a Hyundai or used Honda or something of the sort.

Honda did this for years with cheap Civics. 4 Speed manual, driver's side mirror only, no hubcaps, no AC, AM/FM radio only, vinyl seats, etc.
      It just seems that in the past 10-15 years the automotive world has generally abandoned these tactics, maybe that's why this seems so strange to us all.

Vehicles
      4 and a boat
      03-17-2011 11:11 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      Without a nice interior, VW has nothing going for it...
      says the guy with the Cavalier...
      Cry once....

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      03-17-2011 11:13 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      And this suprised me...
      (pic of windshield)
      Well not really... I didn't expect them to move like hotcakes. But it seems odd that these are the models this dealer would choose to show off in the showroom. Another guy in the showroom asked me, "are they serious with the no radio?" The other model advertised $99/mo payments, with a lot of other fine details I don't remember.
      Quote Originally Posted by PA_Dub View Post
      I don't think we'll be seeing many of these base models at dealers. This is not the "S" trim, which comes standard with AC, AM/FM radio with aux input, and the 2.0. The VW website shows the S trim as the lowest trim level, so this stripper base model must be a fleet configuration. The MSRP on the S is 15,995 and this base model is $1000 less than that.

It is indeed strange to see two of these at a dealer showroom.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they put those two in the showroom with blowout prices because someone who orders new cars for that dealership ordered them by accident. Cars aren't like parts that you can return if its wrong; you have to sell it or dealer trade it to get rid of it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      03-17-2011 11:16 AM #42
      Sometimes I flip flop between do I need a "performance car" or just basic transportation. So one day I was feeling basic transportation would be enough for me and my 2 kids. I thought that Jetta could be a great option because not only could I trade my S4 in for a new car, but I would also get cash back.

I pull into the VW dealer and park next to another b6 S4 [he is shopping for a CC]

I ask the dealer for the keys to the poop brown base Jetta they have outside.

As the dealer hands me a valet style key she says kinda under her breath "you know that thing has no A/C right" No I did not know that but deside to check it out anyway.

So I get in the car and see where the radio should be. I thought to myself thats odd why would they hide the radio. So I push on the panel like an idiot thinking the plastic would flip up and underneath would be some dials. Nope.

The steering wheel feel is very similar to how my sons steering wheel feels in his FJ Cruiser power wheels. Cheap Plastic.

Ok I get it, the price tag is cheap so the car feels cheap. Thats fair and I could deal with all the other stuff but I "need" a/c. I know I know my parent parents didnt have a/c in their cars and their kids turned out of. But if given the choice to not cook my kids out I wont.

My basic feeling on the car is. If you arent going to come with a radio and you arent going to come with an a/c I think you should do better then 30 mpg.

I can go get a civic still under plenty of factory warranty that has all the things that Jetta is missing and get better MPG, more HP, and is cheaper then that Jetta.

8. 03-17-2011 11:18 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
      Indeed. No wonder the guy is so bitter and hateful. Poor sap...

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      03-17-2011 11:21 AM #44
      Power windows?? Metallic paint? Not stripped enough.

10. 03-17-2011 11:22 AM #45
      I don't see a problem with this. Would I ever buy one, no. But if there are people out there that want this why not offer it as an option? If you don't like it then don't buy it.
      Quote Originally Posted by 06bamajetta View Post
      Sooooo.....i woke up this morning, ON my kitchen table, covered in flour. Aparently after the crown was finnished, we got some everclear last night. That ****'s the devil!

Vehicles
      '04 GTO
      03-17-2011 11:23 AM #46
      It's like the Evo RS...only without the fun

12. 03-17-2011 11:25 AM #47
      I'll still take it any day over a base Corolla or Civic.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      03-17-2011 11:28 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Power windows?? Metallic paint? Not stripped enough.
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria View Post
      It's like the Evo RS...only without the fun
      lol
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      03-17-2011 11:36 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Drake View Post
      Indeed. No wonder the guy is so bitter and hateful. Poor sap...

Gotta love VW owners
      Last edited by Ben.Reilly; 03-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat Wagon 2.0T, 04 Odyssey
      03-17-2011 12:17 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by MN6845 View Post
      Taking cheap to a new level.
      I have to start thinking about getting a car for my daughter. Since the majority of young drivers wind up in an accident, I want a car that's - cheap - safe - without a lot of distractions. This looks really good!

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 12:24 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by IC AI View Post
      I have to start thinking about getting a car for my daughter. Since the majority of young drivers wind up in an accident, I want a car that's - cheap - safe - without a lot of distractions. This looks really good!
      Unless you want your daughter to be left stranded, I would look somewhere else
      F1
      Final Gear

Vehicles
      changes monthly; probably crappy
      03-17-2011 12:28 PM #52
      Unless you want your daughter to be left stranded, I would look somewhere else
      says they guy with the Cavalier....

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 12:39 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubinsd View Post
      says they guy with the Cavalier....
      A turbo Cavalier!
      F1
      Final Gear

Vehicles
      2009 Volvo C30 T5
      03-17-2011 12:47 PM #54
      The Golf and Jetta City had no radio or AC, like these cars. They didn't advertise those even in brochures though. We didn't get the CL in the USA. That was a Canadian 1.8l Monoport injection model.
      Right, now I remember. Those were the models I was thinking of.

And I saw a new Jetta on a National car rental lot in Denver a few months ago. It definitely had a/c and a radio.
      Last edited by addicted2vw; 03-17-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 Passat, 2010 Smug, 1993 Ranger
      03-17-2011 12:56 PM #55
      If VW is further decontenting these things, does that mean that the "S" is doing well and that by offering an even cheaper version they'll sell even more?

I can't imagine anyone in the southern US buying a car without AC.

03-17-2011 01:36 PM #56
      if this was any other brand the hate would be strong from the dubbers. But now they are trying to find reasons to say that turd is in-fact a good car.

I'll take a base Hyundai Accent sedan for the same price and enjoy my radio and nicer interior.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

22. 03-17-2011 01:39 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by mavric_ac View Post
      if this was any other brand the hate would be strong from the dubbers. But now they are trying to find reasons to say that turd is in-fact a good car.

I'll take a base Hyundai Accent sedan for the same price and enjoy my radio and nicer interior.
      What a load of crap. There is more hate against VW in this forum than pretty much any other car out there but the Prius maybe.

Go ahead and take your Accent. Nobody gives a **** troll.

03-17-2011 01:43 PM #58
      I'm not a troll, I'm just saying that things a turd.
      I barely get involved with VW threads in here. I'd rather sit back and watch the threads spiral into a mess but I laughed when I saw the first picture thought it's as bad as those $5,000 Chinese cars. So I thought I'd share my opinion. (I am allowed to do that right?)

You can resort to personal attacks but all I'm saying is there are better options for around the same money
      Last edited by mavric_ac; 03-17-2011 at 01:49 PM.
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

24. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-17-2011 02:04 PM #59
      I'm not a troll
      I laughed when I saw the first picture thought it's as bad as those $5,000 Chinese cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 02:06 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by G2BForReal View Post
      What a load of crap. There is more hate against VW in this forum than pretty much any other car out there but the Prius maybe.

Go ahead and take your Accent. Nobody gives a **** troll.
      That's a VW owners defense for everything.... If someone points out something negative about a VW, just call him a troll with the face palm or roll eyes icon!!

I feel bad for the respectable VW owners out there... These forums give you guys a bad name.
      F1
      Final Gear

26. 03-17-2011 02:14 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by MN6845 View Post
      Taking cheap to a new level.
      You misspelled "affordable".

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      03-17-2011 02:26 PM #62

The base accent retails in the mid-15s and also is missing the radio, ac, and power windows. At least the one i saw at the auto show in Jan was. It was worse than the Versa which has an auto trans for low 14s. The Elantra was only a tad bit more and had all the basics, and a better engine. But so does a decently equipped Jetta.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      03-17-2011 02:26 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      This is the car many people around here have whined about for years. A stripped out car with no features. I never understood this mentality, but I guess this is a trim version for the real enthusiasts.
      Generally the people wanting cars like that are referring to models that are actually fun to drive, not ones that take longer to get to 60mph than a shopping cart, are relatively fat, and have no sporting intentions put into the design anywhere. The 3.7 V6 Mustang would be a prime candidate for this sort of treatment, especially considering it could likely knock the price down to sub-$20k levels.

Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      http://www.crutchfield.com/

for all your car stereo needs. As for the AC, I drove a mk3 with no AC all summer and I'm still alive. It's not bad, and the price is extremely low for a jetta.
      All Crutchfield is good for is window shopping. Amazon is leagues cheaper in most cases I've come across.

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 02:28 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      All Crutchfield is good for is window shopping. Amazon is leagues cheaper in most cases I've come across.
      True, but Crutchfield does include free mounting hardware, and their staff knows a lot about this kind of stuff.
      F1
      Final Gear

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      03-17-2011 02:33 PM #65
      Does this have the new "ABA" 4cyl?
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2l
      03-17-2011 02:34 PM #66
      The Golf and Jetta City had no radio or AC, like these cars. They didn't advertise those even in brochures though. We didn't get the CL in the USA. That was a Canadian 1.8l Monoport injection model.

That makes sense. I wonder how they got there. I'm tempted to scan the lot and see if there are more. Anyone who wants to know where they are, they're available for purchase, just contact me
      It seems that dealer has 4 of them, all priced similar. There's also a brown one out in Rhode Island, but there are no pics of that car's interior, just a sub $14K price. This would be a tempting package with the 2.5, alas, a 2.0 is not that bad of a motor.

32. 03-17-2011 02:34 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
      I don't think it's stupid, I'm curious too. I've never bought a car with no radio from the factory.

Wiring harnesses are expensive, so my guess would be "no," but I could be wrong.
      On the base model Versa, you get everything except the radio: the wiring, speakers, and antenna are included. Same thing with the base Kia Rio before they made the radio standard (but it still has no A/C and no power steering).

The only exception I know of is that Honda makes you pay an extra $10 or so for an "antenna connector" if you want to install a radio in a base Civic DX. However as far as I know, the power/speaker wiring harness is already there, as well as the speakers.

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      03-17-2011 02:35 PM #68
      True, but Crutchfield does include free mounting hardware, and their staff knows a lot about this kind of stuff.
      Mounting hardware is cheap anyways. Maybe if they included the harness I'd be swayed, but when you click into the "INCLUDED FOR FREE" section of your order, the often $100+ harness is conveniently left out of the deal, with you scoring only the $15 bracket etc. Considering that Amazon will probably save you in excess of $50, plus free shipping in most cases, I'll stick to them. There are enough external knowledge bases that I don't really award any added value for having Crutchfield staff on hand, either.

*shrug*

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      03-17-2011 02:37 PM #69
      When I saw the OP's picture, I thought I was looking at a MKIV for a second.
      Contributor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      03-17-2011 02:39 PM #70
      That's a VW owners defense for everything.... If someone points out something negative about a VW, just call him a troll with the face palm or roll eyes icon!!

I feel bad for the respectable VW owners out there... These forums give you guys a bad name.
      You just don't know a good track car when you see one.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast