Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What a Tiguan looks like after a major side impact

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Sold my 2009 Tiguan when Intake manifold failed prior to recall. Screw you VW.
      03-22-2011 12:17 AM #1
      Was browsing ebay for Tig related stuff and came across these pictures of a white one that was t-boned.

Ouch!

This is the auction that the pictures originated from....
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-10...Q5fAccessories

2. 03-22-2011 02:44 AM #2
      Ouch indeed. I wonder what sort of vehicle t boned the poor car?
      Tiguan 125TSI, DSG, Bi-Xenon, Leather, etc
      http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-22-2011 03:02 AM #3
      Considering how there is just as much damage up high, as there is down low, it had to have been a tall vehicle.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW TIGUAN SE FWD
      03-22-2011 03:24 AM #4
      The pics at least speak well for the strength and build quality. I pray no one was seriously injured in this accident.

5. Junior Member
      03-22-2011 01:30 PM #5
      Looks like it hit a pole sideways....

Thats a tight squeeze for legs on the passenger side.

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4MO
      03-22-2011 01:58 PM #6
      Too wide an impact for a pole - I'd say definitely a vehicle, probably ran a stop light at high speed. The Tig was probably going slowly or not moving, considering neither the steering wheel nor passenger airbag fired.

As far in as the side is punched, I'm strongly hoping that there was no passenger in the vehicle. But since there's no evidence that any special "jaws of life" type gear was used to open or release that side damage, I'd say that the chances are good that only the driver was in the car (and was able to exit from the driver's door).

Some scary crap, that.
      -- Mark
      -------------------------------
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1 - Tow Package (Class III) - RNS-510 - Ross-Tech VCDS (Various Mods)
      Previous car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg - w/REVO Tuning, AEM CAI, Audi TT DV

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-22-2011 01:59 PM #7
      Ummmm.. No.

A pole would leave a considerably different impression in the side of the vehicle.

How many ~4 foot wide poles do you know of?

And the squeeze of the pelvis would be much more critical for a passenger in that vehicle than the legs, I can assure you.

Vehicles
      '08 PG MkV Jetta SE 5m, '11 WGM JSW 2.5L SE
      03-22-2011 02:15 PM #8
      Wonder if the stereo still works and how much they want for it?!?
      2008 JETTA Plat Grey SE (OEM projector 3000K HID fogs, HID Headlights, dark side markers, LED interiors, GLI rear, trunk lip spoiler, Tinted LED tails, Amber Club )
      2011 JETTA SW 2.5L White Gold SE (W/17"WHLS & PAN ROOF)

9. Junior Member
      03-22-2011 02:31 PM #9
      Still have the SD Card on the radio....

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL, 2000 Audi A4 1.8tq, 2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, 1999 Passat GLS, 1992 Passat GL
      03-22-2011 03:07 PM #10
      I'm not so sure that I'd say it held up well. Look how the roof buckled. The passenger door is pushed in to more the half the width of the passenger seat. Hope no one was hurt. But that's one hell of a crash result.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-23-2011 02:41 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by gstrouse View Post
      I'm not so sure that I'd say it held up well. Look how the roof buckled. The passenger door is pushed in to more the half the width of the passenger seat. Hope no one was hurt. But that's one hell of a crash result.
      Based on how the Tig has done in crash testing of similar CUVs (which is: very good), I think it's safe to say that this outcome was the best possible for this particular accident.

Would another vehicle, in another class, have survived this particular impact better? Entirely possible. But another CUV do better? I'm skeptical of that.

12. 03-23-2011 11:30 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by gstrouse View Post
      I hate to agree with you, but you're right! One of the biggest pros for the Tiguan (to me) is it's saftey. I drive around my 4 year old daughter all the time. Her booster seat is located in the rear, right behind the passenger seat. God forbid this was my car, the results would've been horrific. Compared to the (staged) side impact crash tests I've seen on the internet, the results of this crash are horrible! Very enlightening!

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4MO
      03-23-2011 12:49 PM #13
      Well, keep in mind we don't know WHAT hit this car - it could have been a large cement truck, for all we know - in which case, these results are amazing. I doubt it was a Honda Fit that hit it, is all I'm saying.

Look at what a serious side impact to a Neon looks like:

Or, check out this full-size Chevy pickup that got t-boned by a panel truck:

I'm not saying that a passenger in the Tig would have survived (quite possibly not), but I'm thinking that the accident in question was a very serious one, and I think that the Tig looks like it did as good a job as any (and probably better than most in its class) of absorbing the impact.
      -- Mark
      -------------------------------
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1 - Tow Package (Class III) - RNS-510 - Ross-Tech VCDS (Various Mods)
      Previous car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg - w/REVO Tuning, AEM CAI, Audi TT DV

14. 03-23-2011 01:06 PM #14
      Everybody seen those crash test youtube clips and pictures on the 'net. Keep in mind that test was probably around 35mph, this crash was probably at least 45+mph impact with a large vehicle. I'd say the Tig did really well for it's size. I hope there wasn't a passenger cuz I don't think they would be walking away from that one.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-23-2011 01:32 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by BuffsR View Post
      ...Compared to the (staged) side impact crash tests I've seen on the internet, the results of this crash are horrible...
      No need for overreaction.

As others are saying, we have no idea of the circumstances of the accident and most importantly, no idea at what speed the impacting vehicle was traveling.

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      03-23-2011 03:12 PM #16
      I don't think that can be fixed...

Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      03-23-2011 09:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
      I don't think that can be fixed...
      Sure it could, just needs some duct tape (white duct tape)!
      2009 Black/Brown Tiguan SE w/4Motion
      - Added: Revo Stage 1 w/Select Plus, RNS-510, Volk-L Bluetooth, 2" Class 3 Hitch + Trailer Module, VAG-COM Micro-CAN, 19" Savannah 2Tone
      2001 Black/Tan Golf GLS 1.8T w/Monsoon (Wifes)
      - Added: 6 Disc Changer, K&N Filter

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      03-24-2011 06:26 PM #18
      Oi!