Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Eos Roof Glitch

1. 03-22-2011 05:41 PM #1
      I purchased a 2012 Eos a week ago. On the third day, the roof malfunctioned. The service manager admits they have no clue what is wrong. He says something may be "different" on the 2012 model. They are bringing in an engineer to look at it, but in the mean time I am freaking out.
      Did I make a big mistake purchasing this car?

Vehicles
      2007 Eos (RIP), 2008 Eos
      03-22-2011 06:09 PM #2
      I'm sure all of us here sympathize with your feelings, especially after such a big purchase. However, with the minimal detail in your post, it's difficult to ascertain if it's a serious problem or not. Error messages? How did it stop and where? I've had the pump fail on the top and the headliner rope snap, but overall, the top has been relatively reliable.

3. 03-22-2011 08:04 PM #3
      The service manager seems very competent. That's why it scares me that they are having difficulty diagnosi9ng the problem. I just wondered if anyone with a 2012 had a similar problem. The service manager believes that it is related to the new model. Hopefully the engineer that VW is sending to the dealer will figure it out.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Eos Lux
      03-23-2011 08:04 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mahgirl View Post
      The service manager seems very competent. That's why it scares me that they are having difficulty diagnosi9ng the problem. I just wondered if anyone with a 2012 had a similar problem. The service manager believes that it is related to the new model. Hopefully the engineer that VW is sending to the dealer will figure it out.
      I've had my 2012 Eos for about a month and have used the drop-top daily with absolutely no issues. In fact, the only build- or quality-related complaint I have is that a speaker in the passenger's door has a small rattle with heavy bass playing. Otherwise, the car has been perfect.

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-23-2011 10:25 PM #5
      You didn't make a mistake at all, these are AMAZING vehicles! Just remember, new cars do have issues (that's what warranties are for). In my experience, VW has great warranties and takes care of things for their clients. I love my EOS and would only ever consider replacing it with another EOS! I have owned BMW convertibles my whole life, no more......the EOS is perfect!
      -Dusty
      2008 EOS Luxury, Salsa Red / Titan Black Leather
      BMW Z3 Roadster, Jet Black / Black Leather
      BMW 328i Convertible, Avus Blue / Tan Leather

03-24-2011 10:21 AM #6
      I bought a new music CD once that had nothing written on it. (i.e. no music) Sometimes, things do go wrong in production. Its true for 100% of all new cars. We are dealing with products made by humans who aren't perfect. just sayin.....

The warranty will fix the issue and may benefit you long after you've owned it. I would guess that if something were to happen with the roof after the warranty expires, you could use this as proof that its happened before and get a free repair. Hopefully, the problem doesn't return.

I too have dropped the top countless times since owning it. Only the bug screen...err I mean the noise reducer has given me any problems. Likes to snag on the driver side till I give it a little extra help going up.

7. 03-24-2011 03:59 PM #7
      My Eos top is still not working. They brought in an engineer and he can't find the problem. I've made contact with the Lemon Law office. The first thing the lawyer said was "Oh, are they still having probloems with those tops? I thought they would have fixed the problem by now." Not good. What a nightmare.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      03-25-2011 12:37 AM #8
      My Eos top is still not working. They brought in an engineer and he can't find the problem. I've made contact with the Lemon Law office. The first thing the lawyer said was "Oh, are they still having probloems with those tops? I thought they would have fixed the problem by now." Not good. What a nightmare.
      Thoiusands of these cars have been produced throughout the world without a single problem with the roofs.

Don't worry, your car is not in the majority. VW will either fix it or you will get anothre new one to repalce it.

These cars are wonderful, as you will find out soon. Be patient. It will pay off.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

9. 03-25-2011 09:52 AM #9
      The VW service manager has been calling me every day for an update and I've also been getting daily calls from the regional manager, so I am trying not to panic. I am glad to hear that in general the tops are reliable.

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-25-2011 12:04 PM #10
      My top typically goes up and down 4-8 times per day. It has never had the slightest issue and it is three years old now.

My town was hit by the tsunami and now is under attack from hellish storms. In fact, my town has been evacuated three times in a week and a half. My EOS lives outdoors (no garage) and through all of this insanity, it hasn't leaked one single drop (nor has it ever).

As said several times earlier, these are fantastic cars and ALL new cars can have issues. That is precisely why all companies offer warranties. It has nothing to do with the EOS being a bad car!
      -Dusty

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Avalon XLE Hybrid
      03-25-2011 08:52 PM #11
      The VW service manager has been calling me every day for an update and I've also been getting daily calls from the regional manager, so I am trying not to panic. I am glad to hear that in general the tops are reliable.
      you still haven't told us what the problem with the top is. PLEASE.

Vehicles
      askavwsalesguy.com
      03-25-2011 09:26 PM #12
      My ex has had hers for a few years now, no roof issue at all

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-26-2011 01:11 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Hybridowner View Post
      Yeah, thats true! No one knows what the heck is even going on.
      -Dusty

03-27-2011 04:10 PM #14
      OP.....

What is the problem exactly? "Problem" is a very broad term. Does it not open? Does it stop half way? Does it produce little wabbits? Does it make shake, rattle and roll???

The Eos is near flawless. I enjoy mine EVERY DAY!

__________________________________________________ _______

2.0T 6-MT Blue Tooth/SatNav/DVD Sunroof HardTop Convertible 20%Tint
      (Simply the best of everything)
      Last edited by FL_Eos; 03-27-2011 at 04:17 PM.

03-27-2011 04:26 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Hybridowner View Post
      Me thinks there is no problem. There probably isn't even an Eos in the OPs driveway.

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-27-2011 04:32 PM #16
      Funny, I had wondered the same thing........
      -Dusty

Vehicles
      10 EOS Lux
      03-27-2011 05:40 PM #17
      Agreed. I've owned TWO EOS's with only the cable stretching (fixed by dealer in 15 mins).

BTW: the whole roof can be removed/replaced if necessary. Don't have the link handy, but the roof is assembled in a different plant from the body (if I'm remembering correctly).

18. 03-28-2011 08:42 AM #18
      You are right. There isn't an Eos on the driveway. It's still at the dealer. I had the car for three days. I put the roof up and down several times. I had it down and when I tried to put it up, it stuck halfway. I don't know how to give you any more details than that. The VW dealer has had the car since then. They've had VW engineers look at it. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes the roof works fine, and then it gets stuck halfway up. I was told that two people were coming today from corporate to take a look at it -- one is a quality control manager. Why on earth would I make something like this up?

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos Sport with Tech Package, RNS-510 Upgrade. 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Stock
      03-28-2011 09:59 AM #19
      Sounds like the Flap Deployment issue. When the roof stops have both of the Flaps that cover the space where roof arms are stowed opened correctly..

20. 03-28-2011 10:14 AM #20
      If it is something as simple as this, why have so many "experts" looked at it and not found the problem? I suspect it is related to electronics. I don't expect anyone in this forum to solve the problem. I started the thread to see if anyone else had the same problem.

03-28-2011 10:46 AM #21
      Many of us are willing to help. You just choose to keep everyone in the dark with your multiple posts. Glad your car is being checked and it will be fixed. Hopefully, they provided you with a loaner car.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos Sport with Tech Package, RNS-510 Upgrade. 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Stock
      03-28-2011 12:14 PM #22
      Here are pictures showing one possilbe cause of the symptoms you are describing. If you have the time why don't you take some similar pictures of your car when the problem occurs (even if it means an extra trip to the dealer) and maybe someone will say 'ah' I've seen this...

Roof Opening Paused

Flap not deployed

Flap caught on C-Pillar lining

23. 03-28-2011 12:49 PM #23
      Thank you for the information mark_d_drake. I will let the VW dealer know that this is a possibility for the roof getting stuck mid-way. I don't have photos to share yet since the VW Eos is still at the dealer awaiting examinaton by VW Corporate quality assurance personnel.

24. 03-28-2011 04:38 PM #24
      A solution is in sight, local VW dealer just called to say that VW factory representative came in and reprogrammed my VW Eos Lux roof's software and the roof appears to now be working without hanging up mid-way. The local service manager said that the VW factory representatives have access to technology not available at the dealer level. The local service manger is holding the car one more day to exercise the roof to be sure that its opens and closes without a glitch. Only time will tell. Otherwise, I really like the Eos.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      03-29-2011 01:18 AM #25
      A solution is in sight, local VW dealer just called to say that VW factory representative came in and reprogrammed my VW Eos Lux roof's software and the roof appears to now be working without hanging up mid-way. The local service manager said that the VW factory representatives have access to technology not available at the dealer level. The local service manger is holding the car one more day to exercise the roof to be sure that its opens and closes without a glitch. Only time will tell. Otherwise, I really like the Eos.
      keep a stiff upper lip. Your problem will eventually be solved or you will get another brand new Eos. Either way, you will be a happy camper.

Also, don't worry about one or 2 cynics on this site. Most of us believe you are sincere, including me.

Again, I say to you, the Eos is a real fun machine that you will soon be enjoying to its fullest.

<><
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

26. 03-31-2011 03:01 PM #26
      I finally have my Eos back from the shop! I'm going type in the official diagnosis in case anyone else has a similar problem:
      "Found harness not seated correctly. Re-routed and secured. Inspected LR sensor, also slightly misrouted. "
      As I understand it, there was some wiring that was misrouted and was interfering with a sensor. I was told that the dealer didn't have the computer technology to find the problem. It was diagnosed by a VW engineer from the factory. Thank you all for your support.

Vehicles
      2007 Eos, Lux, DSG. 2006 Jetta. 2000 Honda Odyssey. 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost
      03-31-2011 04:20 PM #27
      It is unfortunate it took them this long to finally evaluate and repair the problem, but very good news that it is repaired and appears to have been relatively minor in nature.

It is not surprising they had to bring in a factory trained technician, the roof is a pretty complex piece of machinery.

Kevin

28. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 Eos & 1974 Kombi Campervan
      04-01-2011 05:47 AM #28
      glad to hear problem sorted....now...sit back, enjoy the ride...am sure you will love the car....

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos, 2005 VW Passat TDI, 2002 Mazda MPV
      04-01-2011 12:32 PM #29
      I finally have my Eos back from the shop! I'm going type in the official diagnosis in case anyone else has a similar problem:
      "Found harness not seated correctly. Re-routed and secured. Inspected LR sensor, also slightly misrouted. "
      As I understand it, there was some wiring that was misrouted and was interfering with a sensor. I was told that the dealer didn't have the computer technology to find the problem. It was diagnosed by a VW engineer from the factory. Thank you all for your support.
      That diagnosis troubles me in a number of ways. First is the competency of the people who attempted to diagnose the problem (i.e., # of people who correctly diagnosed the problem / # of people attempting to diagnose the problem) is 1/x - not good. But more troubling is if the sensors were not functioning correctly, they should have thrown some codes which would easily be detected by a VCDS cable. If the sensors did not throw a code, why not.

My own theory - codes were thrown and all but one technician failed to interpret them correctly or even look for them.

30. 04-02-2011 11:30 AM #30
      Appears that my 2012 EOS Lux roof top glitch problem has been resolved by VW North America Quality Technical Manager (QTM). A sporadic fault for the L "A" pillar sensor was determined. Found harness not seated correctly and it was reroute and secured. Inspected L/R sensor harness and it was also slightly misrouted. All wiring was then routed correctly and tested over and over again. I do appreciate my VW local dealer, VW regional and VW North America for working through this issue. All you skeptics should be ashamed of thinking that I made up this issue. I do thank those who believed in me. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to share praise for the VW Eos and to point out things that can go wrong and how to resolve them. I look forward to enjoying the VW Eos experience.

Vehicles
      2012 BMW 328i Convertible
      04-02-2011 12:38 PM #31
      Appears that my 2012 EOS Lux roof top glitch problem has been resolved by VW North America Quality Technical Manager (QTM). A sporadic fault for the L "A" pillar sensor was determined. Found harness not seated correctly and it was reroute and secured. Inspected L/R sensor harness and it was also slightly misrouted. All wiring was then routed correctly and tested over and over again. I do appreciate my VW local dealer, VW regional and VW North America for working through this issue. All you skeptics should be ashamed of thinking that I made up this issue. I do thank those who believed in me. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to share praise for the VW Eos and to point out things that can go wrong and how to resolve them. I look forward to enjoying the VW Eos experience.
      I've been watching this thread with great interest. I just traded my 2007 Eos Sport 6MT for the 2012 Exec last week and have been waiting (anxiously) for the weather to be good enough to drop the top. (Finally, looks like this weekend is going to work out!) Never had a problem with my 2007 and fully expect the 2012 to be great. Never doubted you had the problem and am very glad it was resolved. My experience with VW has been that they'll "make it right". Sometimes, it just takes longer than any of us like to see. Enjoy the new machine!

32. 04-17-2011 05:41 AM #32
      If it was my car and it had a problem like that in the first 3 weeks
      the dealer would have replaced it with another car right off his lot or i would have killed someone
      you should have insisted on replacement, why let these goofs play around
      glad you had the time to let them do that with you

i hope you dont have issues again in with it, in the future
      there is no excuse on a car of that price for such an issue

as far as the lemon law guy, i think he was just trying to get you stirred up

33. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 Eos 2L
      04-17-2011 03:21 PM #33
      My 2007 Eos top does this exactly, but only when opening. It closes fine. I've had it to the dealer but they found it working fine.
      I'm no engineer but I had already discovered by watching carefully that the cords seem to be perhaps a little too long. And since the top worked perfectly for the first year, I figured that they may have simply stretched.
      I can operate the top by reaching to the flaps and clearing them each time but this is not very elegant.
      Is there an established fix for this?
      Thanks, I'd like to be able to direct my service team to the instructions

34. 04-21-2011 08:43 AM #34
      After a 1700 mile road trip to Georgia (I am from Delaware) I can report that I have had no further problems with the roof. I wouldn't be suprised if other 2012s have the same problem, but now at least they know where to look. My dealer told me that everyone at VW from corporate on down was aware of the problem. It's an easy fix if you know where to look.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Eos Lux
      04-21-2011 01:49 PM #35
      After a 1700 mile road trip to Georgia (I am from Delaware) I can report that I have had no further problems with the roof. I wouldn't be suprised if other 2012s have the same problem, but now at least they know where to look. My dealer told me that everyone at VW from corporate on down was aware of the problem. It's an easy fix if you know where to look.
      Congrats! FWIW, my 2012 Eos Lux has been 100% trouble-free since the day I picked it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast