Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 36 to 53 of 53

    Thread: 2012 Eos Roof Glitch

    1. 04-22-2011 08:30 AM #36
      mahgirl - glad everything is fixed! Now for the really important stuff . . .We want pictures of your 2012!

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Lower AL
      Posts
      145
      Vehicles
      '13 Avalon XLE Hybrid
      05-17-2011 06:52 PM #37
      When I had a '07 the dealer installed a "revised/updated" set of cords and the flaps then worked perfectly for the next three months I owned the car. These cords are the weak spot in the otherwise fine top. When they stretch,you have a problem.

    3. 02-02-2012 05:06 PM #38
      The original problem of this thread was finally fixed after three weeks in the shop (bad wiring) and the roof worked OK for a while. Now it's back in the shop because it refused to go down. They are saying it's a leaky cylinder and a bad cable. WV corporate has refused to tell me why a new car is having such serious problems with the roof. Even if they manage to fix it, I don't trust the roof. I'm afraid to put it down because I am afraid it will get stuck. I will soon meet the criteria to sue under my state's lemon law. I told someone at corporate that I wanted a new car. No one has called me back. I can't believe they are just going to sit them and let me sue under the Lemon Law. Sorry -- just venting.

    4. Member sapphirexae's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2010
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      02-03-2012 02:36 AM #39
      When I first set my sights on the EOS (back in 2007), I shied away because of the complexity of the top. I feared it would be rattled with mechanical issues. Then I read all of the leak horror stories. At least the leak issues are often owner ignorance of proper maintenance. I finally pulled the trigger and bought one anyway. For the first couple of weeks I hardly put the top down, it still made me nervous. Finally my son and spouse asked why the hell I bought it if I wasn't going to use it (also reminding me it was under full warranty for a long time to come). I finally started using it! The car is now five years old (2008) with around 48,000 miles on it. I'd say on average, the top goes down twice every-single day (and up twice a day). The top hasn't had one issue and it hasn't leaked a drop in it's life. I have been thrilled to death with it's reliability.

      I feel terrible for convertible owners who have roof issues. Most dealerships are blind when it comes to convertible tops and they can be quite tricky. One of my other cars is infamous for having issues with its power top, I'd say 90% of them at this point have (or have had) issues. I feel just awful for the folks on that forum too. Roof issues are the worst, passing good thoughts your way that everything gets resolved and the smile returns to your face while driving.
      -Dusty
      2008 EOS Luxury, Salsa Red / Titan Black Leather
      BMW Z3 Roadster, Jet Black / Black Leather
      BMW 328i Convertible, Avus Blue / Tan Leather

    5. 02-03-2012 03:38 PM #40
      I am back on this thread because I am having another serious issue with my top. This time they are saying it's a leaky cylinder and a bad cable. It's been in the shop for four days so far. I have talked to a Lemon Law lawyer and I am close to meeting the requirements for sue under my state's lemon laws. I can't believe that VW would let it come to that. It will be very bad publicity. I've called a corporate number and asked for a new car, buy I haven't had a call-back. Any suggestions?

    6. 02-07-2012 03:53 PM #41
      Hey Mahgirl,

      Sorry to hear about the problems you have been experiencing. I have a few suggestions:

      1. Corporations act like...corporations. They know that you don't yet meet your state's lemon law criteria and they are betting they can fix this problem before you qualify. I suggest that you wait until you do qualify and then send them a "last chance" letter, copy to the dealer, VWoA and VW in Germany stating that you will commence lemon law remedies if you don't hear from them in five days, then do it.

      2. While I can see why you would want to run as far from VW as you can, your issues really do seem to be very unusual. If you get an offer from VW for a new EOS the most likely outcome is you will have a car you will enjoy for a long time.

      3. These forums are really great, I've gotten great advice on this and other forums. Advice like this can save you time, money and aggravation. Sometimes people will spoof a forum just to cause trouble. Next time try to be specific with your concerns, e.g. when, where, how long, etc. People really want to help you and the more specific your concerns are the more likely you will get a helpful answer.

      End of sermon!

    7. 02-18-2012 01:56 PM #42
      Thanks for your suggestions. We left the Eos in the shop while we were on vacation for 10 days. It was fixed when we came back. They replaced a leaky hydrolic cylinder and a cable. All the problems I have had are related to quality control. I'm glad to hear that everyone else has wonderful, trouble-free roofs but I don't and VW has been unwilling to address the issue other than keeping the car in the shop for weeks on end.

    8. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2009
      Posts
      14
      Vehicles
      2012 Eos Komfort
      02-26-2012 09:57 PM #43
      I, too, had a problem with my new 2012 Eos. I was frustrated and upset. VW game me a loaner Jetta and resolved the water leak. They claim it wasn't the roof, but a drainage tube. They replaced the wet carpets and tubes/seals.

      We've had a couple of warm days here in NJ and I've put the top down. The flap that goes from horizontal to perpendicular to the ground adjacent to the rear passenger sometimes now won't go all the way down after the top opens. I'm wondering if it could be a computer issue. I'm going to wait for my 10k maintenance to bring it up and see what they say.

      I'm thinking, at this point, that the extended warranty will be worth it. I'm told that we can purchase it at any point while we're still paying off the car.

      I hope you get your car back and your issues resolved soon. When all is working, the ride is truly excellent.

      Good luck!
      2012 Rising Blue/Titan Eos Black 2.0L TSI with 18" Velos Wheels | 2005 Honda Pilot | 1970 Karmann Ghia | 1969 Beetle

    9. 07-23-2012 10:33 AM #44
      Looked and drove the EOS 4 months back with my daughter and went back Saturday. The local dealer had the car and she was ready to make the deal. With contract in hand and smiles on our face and a clean car, jumped in tried to drop the top and nothing cycled properly. Sales guy says we messed up the window programming by not operating the windows properly. Come on, what rock did he thing we just crawled out under. After an hour of jacking around and restarting the car 50 times, we voided the contract. Never got it off the lot. The kicker is the sales guy and manager thought it was perfectly acceptable to buy a broken vehicle, they'll fix it. Thankfully, this opened my daughters eyes on the complexity of the system and the lack of a back up method to secure the top if it craters in an inconvenient time.

      Yes, a first post terrible story. However, it does point to their QC maybe not being great as was pointed out in the OP's original post. The 04 Beetle that we purchased from the same dealer also had electrical issues with the amplifier staying on and draining the battery. More than a month to resolve that issue. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. Sorry, it won't happen twice.

    10. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      9,155
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      07-23-2012 11:29 AM #45
      ...on the other hand, I've had my 2010 EOS for 2.5 years and have had absolutely 0 issues with the top or any other part of the car.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2006
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      255
      Vehicles
      '07 Eos Lux with incredible Dynaudio
      07-27-2012 07:07 PM #46
      Ditto for mine in 5.5 years on the top. (Knock wood) I did have an electrical issue (Bad front turn signal assembly, wiring harness, whatever) That took several visits and more than the cost of the 6 year extended warranty to fix...

      Defintely get the VW Platinum warranty. I would advise going CPO. You may pay a bit more, but your ownership experience should be much better. Often, lemons are what end up on non-VW dealer lots.
      Last edited by PaulZooms; 07-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.

    12. 08-07-2012 05:45 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by mahgirl View Post
      I purchased a 2012 Eos a week ago. On the third day, the roof malfunctioned. The service manager admits they have no clue what is wrong. He says something may be "different" on the 2012 model. They are bringing in an engineer to look at it, but in the mean time I am freaking out.
      Did I make a big mistake purchasing this car?
      YES these cars are lemons. What JUNK the EOS is.... I have a 2007 and the service writer admitted that the roof is a HUGE issue for these bombs and admitted that VW issued a memo that water leaking ( aside from the roof malfunctioning) is expected and normal !!. My car had major work done on the roof with only 3000 miles. It has been in the shop for half of its ownership. ^The ONLY reason that I have kept the car is because I only have 9000 miles since 2007 and do not want to take a huge depreciation loss and since I bought the entended VW warranty I am not paying that much except in wasted time. MY EOS is in repair so often that I am now close friends with the courtesy van driver that takes me home when I drop off my car.

      Do yourself a favor, either get an extended warranty OR sell the car !!

      WHen the service writer tells me that VW sent a memo to dealers that some water leakage is normal, and when the service writer confides to me that many times they just CAN NOT fix these roofs....I know I was scammed by VW

      You could not PAY me to buy this car again !!

      All the other owners that live by me also tell me that the roof is a problem for them also.

    13. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      9,155
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-08-2012 12:06 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by mahgirl View Post
      Thanks for your suggestions. We left the Eos in the shop while we were on vacation for 10 days. It was fixed when we came back. They replaced a leaky hydrolic cylinder and a cable. All the problems I have had are related to quality control. I'm glad to hear that everyone else has wonderful, trouble-free roofs but I don't and VW has been unwilling to address the issue other than keeping the car in the shop for weeks on end.
      Sorry to hear of your troubles. Never a good situation. Emotions aside because I'd be totall ticked if this happend to me. You bought a relatively low production vehicle with a complicated roof mechanism. They're sometimes hard to diagnose/repair and parts can sometimes take a while as stock is maintained with the roof manufacturer vs VW itself. Did you get a free loaner car for the time your car was in the shop? You should have. Was it in the shop for 10 days because it took 10 days to fix or because you were on vacation for 10 days? Has the replacement of the leaky hydraulic cylinder & cable properly fixed the issue? If it is fixed, then how can you say that VW is unwilling to address the issue? Their obligation is to fix a car with a manufacturer defect under warranty, and it sounds like they did. They're not obligated to give you a new car unless it meets Lemon Law standards otherwise everyone with any issue would demand a new car. If you meet those standards, then by all means, press the issue.
      Last edited by BostonB6; 08-08-2012 at 12:10 PM.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      50 Miles South of Tucson AZ
      Posts
      2,246
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      08-09-2012 02:54 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Sorry to hear of your troubles. Never a good situation. Emotions aside because I'd be totall ticked if this happend to me. You bought a relatively low production vehicle with a complicated roof mechanism. They're sometimes hard to diagnose/repair and parts can sometimes take a while as stock is maintained with the roof manufacturer vs VW itself. Did you get a free loaner car for the time your car was in the shop? You should have. Was it in the shop for 10 days because it took 10 days to fix or because you were on vacation for 10 days? Has the replacement of the leaky hydraulic cylinder & cable properly fixed the issue? If it is fixed, then how can you say that VW is unwilling to address the issue? Their obligation is to fix a car with a manufacturer defect under warranty, and it sounds like they did. They're not obligated to give you a new car unless it meets Lemon Law standards otherwise everyone with any issue would demand a new car. If you meet those standards, then by all means, press the issue.
      I agree with you whole heartedly.

      Why is she still bitchin about a problem that has been solved?

      I had a brand new 2004 Cobra that had to have an entire new drive train installed, with the exception of the engine. The car was tied up for 2 weeks. Ford made it good and I was happy. No problemo.

      Go figure.

      When Jesus, himself, starts building cars, they will be perfect, but in the mean time.................
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      50 Miles South of Tucson AZ
      Posts
      2,246
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      08-09-2012 03:09 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by kratedisease View Post
      YES these cars are lemons. What JUNK the EOS is.... I have a 2007 and the service writer admitted that the roof is a HUGE issue for these bombs and admitted that VW issued a memo that water leaking ( aside from the roof malfunctioning) is expected and normal !!. My car had major work done on the roof with only 3000 miles. It has been in the shop for half of its ownership. ^The ONLY reason that I have kept the car is because I only have 9000 miles since 2007 and do not want to take a huge depreciation loss and since I bought the entended VW warranty I am not paying that much except in wasted time. MY EOS is in repair so often that I am now close friends with the courtesy van driver that takes me home when I drop off my car.

      Do yourself a favor, either get an extended warranty OR sell the car !!

      WHen the service writer tells me that VW sent a memo to dealers that some water leakage is normal, and when the service writer confides to me that many times they just CAN NOT fix these roofs....I know I was scammed by VW

      You could not PAY me to buy this car again !!

      All the other owners that live by me also tell me that the roof is a problem for them also.
      You were either too lazy to research your vehicle prior to purchase, or after purchasing, you were too lazy to learn your options.

      By the way, how many owners of the Eos verts live near you? Perhaps we should contact them regarding the rest of my post.

      VW designed new seals starting with the 09 models. All Eos models made prior to that year and still under warranty could have the new seals installed.

      If the car was no longer under warranty, newly designed seals would be installed for a fair price. If you have been driving with a leaking car, it is your choice, not the fault of VW.

      There is one other possibility, however. You are an imposter!! I tend to believe the latter because no human would be like cow and face a blizzard in the pasture as they slowly freeze to death.

      Would they????

      Oh, one other thing. Tell me about your Krytox experience?
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

    16. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      9,155
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-09-2012 04:23 PM #51
      I don't think kratedisease is a troll at all based on his other posts.

      The VW memo (TSB) he cites is one that acknowledges that a small dribble of water inside the car from where the roof meets the windows can occur and is considered "normal" vs a torrent of water from a bad seal.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      50 Miles South of Tucson AZ
      Posts
      2,246
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      08-10-2012 01:11 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      I don't think kratedisease is a troll at all based on his other posts.

      The VW memo (TSB) he cites is one that acknowledges that a small dribble of water inside the car from where the roof meets the windows can occur and is considered "normal" vs a torrent of water from a bad seal.
      Based on his rant, it sounds as though he IS getting a torrent of water in his vehicle.

      If it is only a dribble, as you say it should be, based on the TSB, it seems like a bit of Krytox should take care of the problem. However, like I said, VW does have new seals available.

      Did he have the car when it was new, slightly used, still under warranty?

      All I am saying is that VW has a solution if the water problem is serious. If it is not serious, then he really has no problem.

      Apparently he is not a great problem solver, IMHO.
      Last edited by DavidPaul; 08-10-2012 at 01:19 AM.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

    18. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      9,155
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-15-2012 12:56 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post
      Based on his rant, it sounds as though he IS getting a torrent of water in his vehicle.
      One man's torrent is another man's dribble.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •