Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Coil Pack Diagram?

Vehicles
      1986 VW Scirocco / 2005 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2005 VW GTI 1.8t / 2008 VW Jetta 2.5 / 2011 VW CC 2.0t
      03-23-2011 05:20 PM #1
      Hello I've searched and need a little assitance. My coilpack on cylinder 5 is about to give out and my question is, does anyone have a diagram of which cylinder is 5. From what I remember on my mkiv 1.8t the cylinders went ( 1 - 4 - 2 - 3) or something like that. Installation is easy I know, I just don't want to pull each one out until I find the correct cylinder. HAHA please assist! Thanks again!

Vehicles
      78 MGB and 09 Rabbit, or "Tortoise and the Hare"
      03-23-2011 09:48 PM #2
      Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the firing order should not matter if you already know it is the 5th cylinder that is the problem. Cylinders are counted front-to-back. If you are looking into your engine bay, the furthest-right cylinder is #5.

If I am not understanding your question correctly, and you do need to know your firing order, it is 1-2-4-5-3. I guess that if you somehow know that every 5th firing is failing when starting from TDC, then it would by cylinder #3...

Vehicles
      1986 VW Scirocco / 2005 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2005 VW GTI 1.8t / 2008 VW Jetta 2.5 / 2011 VW CC 2.0t
      03-23-2011 10:18 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by edb4 View Post
      Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the firing order should not matter if you already know it is the 5th cylinder that is the problem. Cylinders are counted front-to-back. If you are looking into your engine bay, the furthest-right cylinder is #5.

If I am not understanding your question correctly, and you do need to know your firing order, it is 1-2-4-5-3. I guess that if you somehow know that every 5th firing is failing when starting from TDC, then it would by cylinder #3...
      The firing code was what I had been looking for I should have been more specific, thank you. Yes from my VAG scan it said cylinder 5 had intermittent misfires, so I will go ahead and replace the coil pack in cylinder 5. I thought my question would be retorical but felt I should ask to be certain. Thanks again!

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      03-23-2011 10:27 PM #4
      Cylinder one will always be by the timing belt / chain.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      03-24-2011 04:21 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dubreillz View Post
      The firing code was what I had been looking for I should have been more specific, thank you. Yes from my VAG scan it said cylinder 5 had intermittent misfires, so I will go ahead and replace the coil pack in cylinder 5. I thought my question would be retorical but felt I should ask to be certain. Thanks again!
      if you havn't already, you may want to check if the car falls under the coil recall. if it does you get them all for free. just thought i'd throw that out there.

Vehicles
      03-24-2011 06:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by bermankahns View Post
      if you havn't already, you may want to check if the car falls under the coil recall. if it does you get them all for free. just thought i'd throw that out there.
      Appreciate it yea I had called the dealership the only Recall I was under was the Windsheild washer fluid Resevoir. Thanks again for everyones help car runs great again.