Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: AJmustDIE's ABA Turbo Build Thread

Vehicles
      99 passat wagon 1.8T
      03-30-2011 05:13 PM #36
      nice project...but only 8psi? thats no fun lol.
      I ran my old 2.0T at 13-14lbs daily on a bone stock 170k mile obd2 aba for a VERY long time before the h/g finally went. then i pulled out the tired half blown t3 s60 and slapped in a $100 ebay t3/t4 along with some arp studs and a c2 spacer. then raised the boost to 21psi. tons of fun until i got rid of the car.
      it put down 203.7whp on the small turbo at 14psi. im guessing from the butt dyno that it was at least 275whp on the t3/t4...at least thats what it felt like lol
      crank that boost up and have some real fun with it man. these motors can handle plenty of abuse
      I like Boost
      LOA Member #42

Vehicles
      97 Black GLX, RIP 97 White 8vT Jetta Trek
      03-30-2011 05:30 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by VWDugan View Post
      nice project...but only 8psi? thats no fun lol.
      I ran my old 2.0T at 13-14lbs daily on a bone stock 170k mile obd2 aba for a VERY long time before the h/g finally went. then i pulled out the tired half blown t3 s60 and slapped in a $100 ebay t3/t4 along with some arp studs and a c2 spacer. then raised the boost to 21psi. tons of fun until i got rid of the car.
      it put down 203.7whp on the small turbo at 14psi. im guessing from the butt dyno that it was at least 275whp on the t3/t4...at least thats what it felt like lol
      crank that boost up and have some real fun with it man. these motors can handle plenty of abuse
      Oh I'm going to.

Quote Originally Posted by AJmustDIE View Post
      Also, I will only be running 8 PSI when the build is "completed" after I get the tranny paid for I'm buying a set of JE pistons and IE rods to lower my compression so I can raise the boost. Just so your minds don't wander..
      I knew somebody was gonna miss it.. lol.
      But yeah man I agree, 8psi will be no fun. But it will be cranked up!
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      It's Timmy with mmmmMojo, i have returned
      8VALVETURBO - RIP White Jetta

Vehicles
      1.8T'd mk3, B5A4 Avant BT
      03-30-2011 05:38 PM #38
      I would find an OBD-I block/head for now. OBD-I ABAs have forged cranks and rods factory. The OBD-I heads are a bit better flowing than the OBD-IIs.
      '01 A4 Avant
      6MT|Built AWM|Built AEB|60Trim

Vehicles
      99 passat wagon 1.8T
      03-30-2011 05:40 PM #39
      Oh I'm going to.

I knew somebody was gonna miss it.. lol.
      But yeah man I agree, 8psi will be no fun. But it will be cranked up!

oh no...i didnt miss it. i read every word. but personally i would start out at at least 10psi. nice round number lol.
      i had a boostvalve.com 2-stage boost controller on mine that worked great. 12-13psi around town daily and with the flip of a switch it was at 20-21psi depending on the weather lol
      I like Boost
      LOA Member #42

Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0T
      03-30-2011 06:09 PM #40
      Can't wait to see this done, Very nice.
      ABA Turbo Club

228hp 271tq at 14psi with pte GT3561E

Vehicles
      03-30-2011 06:49 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by catbed View Post
      I would find an OBD-I block/head for now. OBD-I ABAs have forged cranks and rods factory. The OBD-I heads are a bit better flowing than the OBD-IIs.
      I'm aware. But my crank will be fine at these power levels, I'm not looking at going over 300 anytime soon. But in the near future I will sourcing an OBDI engine and setting it up when I get a garage. It's gonna be bored over and completely went through. That's when I'll be ready to put down some serious power with a huge garrett turbo.

oh no...i didnt miss it. i read every word. but personally i would start out at at least 10psi. nice round number lol.
      i had a boostvalve.com 2-stage boost controller on mine that worked great. 12-13psi around town daily and with the flip of a switch it was at 20-21psi depending on the weather lol
      Can't safely go to 10 or over psi without lowering compression. I don't have a head spacer nor am I getting one. I'm not willing to auto detonate my engine to death, especially it being obdII, . I'm doing it the right way, the safe way.

-------------------

Well guys, I got rained out again today, so not much of an update. When I went to go attack the exhaust manifold it fought me every step of the way. Three bolts on the bottom went round on me so I had to torch them out.

It's most likely going to be raining all day tomorrow and it will be another day of nothingness.
      Thanks for keepin' up with this everyybody.

Vehicles
      2009 Gli, 2000 Cabrio
      03-30-2011 08:04 PM #42
      darn

03-30-2011 08:07 PM #43
      Man that sucks
      I can't wait to see this done.
      "I'll always love you, moo " -Ruth
      -Air Force

Vehicles
      95 2.0 turbo, 97 vr6
      03-30-2011 08:16 PM #44
      this might be good
      OG suede

I survived epic thread 2011 never forget 11/11/11
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      You have a harness you forgot to plug back in, and you want to know where it goes? Back where you found it would be my guess..

Vehicles
      96' Jetta 2.turtle (Sold), 97' Jetta GLX
      03-30-2011 08:59 PM #45
      T!M. Michelle|GarageQueen. CORNSTATUS
      Flickr

Vehicles
      99 passat wagon 1.8T
      03-30-2011 09:19 PM #46

Can't safely go to 10 or over psi without lowering compression. I don't have a head spacer nor am I getting one. I'm not willing to auto detonate my engine to death, especially it being obdII, . I'm doing it the right way, the safe way.

this is not completely true. like i said. i ran 14-15psi daily on a BONE STOCK OBD2 aba for quite a while with zero issues until the h/g finally went. this was on a C2 stg 2 btw.
      I dont blame you for wanting to do it the right way though...more power to you. personally I like to push the limits of the stock engine with what i have...aba motors are a dime a dozen and easy to change out if you blow one up...and it makes for good carnage pics
      I like Boost
      LOA Member #42

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      03-31-2011 06:57 AM #47
      pft... stock block, stock compression, original headgasket... i accidently put 15psi through it once. and it sits around 11-12psi without an issue.

Don't be a wuss
      2.0T... it's back!

13. 03-31-2011 07:25 AM #48
      this is not completely true. like i said. i ran 14-15psi daily on a BONE STOCK OBD2 aba for quite a while with zero issues until the h/g finally went. this was on a C2 stg 2 btw.
      I dont blame you for wanting to do it the right way though...more power to you. personally I like to push the limits of the stock engine with what i have...aba motors are a dime a dozen and easy to change out if you blow one up...and it makes for good carnage pics

Psi is a measure of restriction. That is it. It is not a measure of power level, or a way of measuring the strength of components.

15 PSI through a 60trim is alot less punishing then 10 PSI through a 50 trim, which is nothing compared to 7 PSI through a 6265, which is nothing compared to 5 PSI through a GT50, ect.

Also, running 15 PSI on a Super 60 with a .48 housing is completely different then running 15PSI through a Super 60 with a .63 housing, which is completely different then running 15 PSI through a Super 60 with a stage 2 turbine wheel in a .63 housing.

People really need to start ignoring PSI in regards to other peoples setups. It means nothing car to car. It is only useful as a measure of inprovement in VE of your engine when doing modifications to increase such.

14. 03-31-2011 07:28 AM #49
      Also, why do you 2.0T guys keep swapping to the Mk4 manifold? The swap gives you less plenum volume, and MUCH longer runners... Thats a BIG step backwards in 99% of FI setups.

Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0T
      03-31-2011 08:13 AM #50
      I think its because the porting is a little bigger..... But I'm not to sure.
      ABA Turbo Club

16. 03-31-2011 08:52 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by papo98jetta View Post

That's even worse then if slapping them on a stock topend.

Vehicles
      03-31-2011 10:01 AM #52
      It has less plenum volume? Since when? I thought it had more.
      2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      1.8T'd mk3, B5A4 Avant BT
      03-31-2011 10:16 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by papo98jetta View Post
      Port sizes in the manifold is not gonna be as restricting as the 8v head with FI anyway.
      '01 A4 Avant
      6MT|Built AWM|Built AEB|60Trim

Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0T
      03-31-2011 10:58 AM #54
      True, but most see good results from just a quick bolt on. I would much rather make my own SRI.
      ABA Turbo Club

Vehicles
      03-31-2011 01:59 PM #55
      The MK4 manifold flows tons better over the mk3 manifold day in, day out.

The runners are larger, smoother, and there is less of an extreme transition from the upper to the lower manifolds.

It's been tested to give more horsepower by just bolting it on, I've gasket matched the lower manifold and checked them so they are all identical.

So If they give more horsepower on a stock N/A, then there is absolutely no reason it's not going to with FI.

At the end of the day, Flow is Flow, no matter what it's application. Didn't even know why this needed to be explained..

Oh, and this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      Psi is a measure of restriction. That is it. It is not a measure of power level, or a way of measuring the strength of components.
      PSI, or Pounds per Square Inch, actually is a measure of pressure, and measuring strength of components. Like compressor tanks, tires, among other things. lol.
      Last edited by AJmustDIE; 03-31-2011 at 02:13 PM.

21. 03-31-2011 05:26 PM #56
      The MK4 manifold flows tons better over the mk3 manifold day in, day out.

The runners are larger, smoother, and there is less of an extreme transition from the upper to the lower manifolds.

It's been tested to give more horsepower by just bolting it on, I've gasket matched the lower manifold and checked them so they are all identical.

So If they give more horsepower on a stock N/A, then there is absolutely no reason it's not going to with FI.

At the end of the day, Flow is Flow, no matter what it's application. Didn't even know why this needed to be explained..
      There is an unbelievable amount of flaws in this. But this is your build thread, and I'm not gonna fill it up correcting you, so heres some cliffs notes for you to research...

1: Flow is subjective. Port velocity is just as, and in some cases more important then flow. Just because it is larger, doesn't make it "better."

2: Gasket matching the halves will create a varying port cross section through the runners. This will create turbulance, and cause the velocity to drop in areas which is not only bad for "flow", but causes turbulence in the port. Bad idea all around. "Gasket matching" causes WAY more cons the pros.

3: Comparing NA intake design to FI intake design is useless. In na, you Big long runners+ small plenum=terrible combo for FI.

4:At the end of the day, "flow" is not "flow."

Oh, and this.

PSI, or Pounds per Square Inch, actually is a measure of pressure, and measuring strength of components. Like compressor tanks, tires, among other things. lol.
      In FI, "PSI" on the intake side, is a measure of the restriction in your intake tract. Increase VE, and your PSI of boost will drop per power figures. This is commonly looked at wrong. People "brag" all the time about how much "boost" they run, like its a measure of performance. The irony, is that by bragging that you ran say 25psi on a stock ABA, you are basically saying that you had a VERY inefficient setup, and componsated by cranking the boost. TQ (and RPM fatigue) kills internals, not "how many pounds of boost" you run. If a Rod can withstand 250ft/lbs of TQ before being compromised, it doesn't care if it comes from 20 PSI through a Gt20, or 10 PSI through a Gt30, or 15 PSI through a Gt20, with a large plenum, short runner, ported head, and suitable cam.

I'd go on the explain the role of PSI on the exhaust side, and intake/exhaust pressure ratios, but honestly, with the replies already seen, I'm wasting my time.

Good luck with the build, I suggest you research ALOT more. Preferably outside of this community, as everyone here likes to repeat bad practices. Hence why built NA Vr6's are making less power then bolt on Single cam, 2.0 neon motors, and NA 2.0 8v ABA's "fully built" are making as much as stock SOHC engines of smaller displacement from many other manufacturers.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1993/ golf/ mk3/miller/mk3 four dr golf vr6
      03-31-2011 05:43 PM #57
      i wanna do the same thing bump for 8vt

Vehicles
      A few cars
      03-31-2011 09:26 PM #58
      for the boosted 8v club.

im running gt28rs@11psi on a stock motor and put down 225whp and 240wtq on a mustang dyno.

8v's can make power

Vehicles
      03-31-2011 10:16 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Filthydubber View Post
      for the boosted 8v club.

im running gt28rs@11psi on a stock motor and put down 225whp and 240wtq on a mustang dyno.

8v's can make power
      I was thinking about going gt28rs in the near future!

Good numbers man!

Vehicles
      03-31-2011 10:23 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Filthydubber View Post
      for the boosted 8v club.

8v's can make power
      My god I knew I wanted to upgrade in ghe future to this snail but after seeing those numbers I wish I had the 900 dollars right now
      2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      03-31-2011 11:01 PM #61
      Small update here guys.

Seeing as how I had to torch some of the nuts to get the exhaust manifold, I had to go out and get some new exhaust studs.

I went to go put them in and I realized they weren't gonna go all the way in, the studs were too long.

So the mighty dremel comes to the rescue again!

From top to bottom: Shortened new stud, old stud, out of the box new stud.

Got them all shortened.

That's all I was able to do because of the rain again today here in Florida.
      BUT, tomorrow I should have the turbo mounted so I can start mocking up charge piping and such.

Take care until the next update

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 05:35 AM #62
      I didn't have any issues with my studs when I did this... but that there, is a great idea.
      2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 08:53 PM #63
      Micro sized update here,

The battle to get the remaining exhaust studs out is on-going.
      I have them all removed but 1, it's almost broken off at the head so I'm curious as to how I'm gonna tackle that. But tomorrow I should have it out so I can bolt up the turbo so we can get back to actual progress.

This is been SO aggravating.
      IF all goes as planned, and all the shipping goes off without a hitch. I should be able to turn this thing over soon.

List of things I still need:

Autotech Plug Wires
      2 10" Slim Radiator Fans (stock setup has GOT to go)
      Misc. Silicone Couplers and Clamps.

Btw, I also forgot to mention I will be using a Forge Splitter (recirc. & blowoff hybrid).

You guys should get some pics tomorrow after I get back from the lake.

Vehicles
      04-04-2011 10:57 PM #64
      I got the turbo "mounted" today.
      It's just temporarily bolted up right now as to give me what I need to move on to the rest of the project. Forgive the cell phone pics, I wasn't near my d5000.

I unfortunately, and I will probably regret my decision to post this because I'm a novice at turbocharging, but wresting the turbo behind the motor took a LONG time, even though it's a tiny thing. Not one thought about rotating the compressor housing even came into my mind until I tried to unbolt my rear motor mount and snapped the bolt in half.

Anybody got any advice on replacing the bolt? Something I can order or do I have to go to a local store and seek through the rows of bolts myself. I don't think they include the bolts in the BFI motor mount kits.

Vehicles
      2009 Gli, 2000 Cabrio
      04-05-2011 08:20 AM #65

Vehicles
      04-05-2011 08:59 AM #66
      Get a bolt out kit to get the bolt out of you rear trans mount. Or buy a new one.

Where'd you get those coolant lines for your snail? Come with it or is that all custom?
      2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      95 2.0 turbo, 97 vr6
      04-05-2011 09:46 AM #67
      get bfi mounts they come with the botls and everything.

you will need a new top to the mount so it threads in. if you want send me a pic of the bolt i got one laying around here somewhere
      OG suede

I survived epic thread 2011 never forget 11/11/11
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      You have a harness you forgot to plug back in, and you want to know where it goes? Back where you found it would be my guess..

Vehicles
      02' 1.8t Getta (sold) 1997 2.blow Basket
      04-06-2011 12:40 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by nfx View Post
      Where'd you get those coolant lines for your snail? Come with it or is that all custom?
      x2
      (_fishbowl society_)

i wish i was a little less slower...i wish i was lower....i wish i had paint that looked good i would show her...i wish i had a rabbit with a hatch in the back with a custom fit boser.

Vehicles
      96 Golf 83 Scirocco
      04-06-2011 01:08 PM #69
      I want to see somebody hang a billet 5756 on the back of an aba, and set up the right peripheral parts.

270ish cam
      sri
      headstuds
      stock obd1 block with arp bolts
      ported obd1 head
      management other than c2

The project looks like its headed in the right direction!
      Last edited by root beer; 04-06-2011 at 01:12 PM.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      I got fiiiiiiiives on it.
      04-06-2011 04:02 PM #70
      I want to see somebody hang a billet 5756 on the back of an aba, and set up the right peripheral parts.

270ish cam
      sri
      headstuds
      stock obd1 block with arp bolts
      ported obd1 head
      management other than c2

The project looks like its headed in the right direction!
      sargasm..

subscribed

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast