VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

B6 Passat 3.6L 4motion mod???

39K views 91 replies 23 participants last post by  purpleB4 
#1 ·
Hello all, I recently picked up a 3.6L 4motion Passat and I've been researching potential mods I can do for the car. Seems to be a limited search, so, I was wondering if any of out there know of a good deal of performance mods for the car that wouldn't effect the reliability of the car as well.

So far, I have found the Revo tune (no brainer), R32 VFE intake supposedly fits it, and I figure it couldn't hurt doing a high flow cat, though, from what I understand, the exhaust supposedly flows free enough from the factory.

Are there any other mods out there I may be unaware of? Possibly another R32 or R36 mod that fits the Passat? And anyone out there have any videos of a good exhaust done other than the suitcase mod I've been seeing? That's pretty cool, but I wouldn't mind a little more throatiness rather than raspiness.

All comments, answers, and questions are welcome to this thread. Just please keep it to the relativity of Passat modding. Thanks!

#64 ·
It does sound awesome. I can't wait to hear it in person. Nice job man!

I did find the article in Performace VW. It was from the January 2010 issue. On page 21 it states the following:

"Stuck Fast
If there's one thing we absolutely loved about the Passat R36 wagon we had in on test a while back it was the fantastic aural experienc that came with every stab at the right pedal. But as any R owner knows, that soundtrack is just asking to be let out a little more with the help of an aftermarket exhaust system and the German tuners have taken on the task for the R36 with this, their new 70mm cat-back exhaust system. Suitable for both the saloon and the wagon, the system is available with 100mm 'race-look' tail pipes cut to a 30-degree slash to fill the OEM bumper cut outs perfectly for a subtle factory look. The exhaust system is supplied in two formats, one fully TUV-approved with a centre silencer, while the second features a straight-through centre section for alittle extra volume while staying refined, and both come complete with the Y-pipe and rear silencers to complete the system. With prices starting at £990 for the straight-through version, if you're lucky enough to own a R36 then frankly, it'd be rude not to fit one. For more details, call Regal Autosport on 02380 558636 or visit www.regal-auto.co.uk"

I will post a picture of the ad as soon as I get it scanned.

I did reach out to Regal-Auto. I am waiting to hear back. There is nothing on their site that I could find for a R36.

#70 ·
im really interested into this maf xp thing. did a quick search on it now much info on it. there isnt any laws on not building your own exhaust just were i live there isnt even anyone with a mandrel pipe bender.

#77 ·
HEY!!! Question for anyone(s) who has the answer. Is there any way or any tunes out there that affect the quickness of the flappy paddle mode's shifting? I would really like for the car to shift at least somewhere close to the quickness of the DSG system. I've been wondering if it's just something wrong with my car or is it really that the tranny is that super ultra mega incredibly slow. Thanks...

#78 ·
I am not sure about the transmission. However, I am curious to hear if you have any throttle lag. I have read on here before that the 2006-2007 Passats had an issue with throttle lag. It was corrected in the 2008. With that said, supposedly the Revo chip takes care of that.

#79 ·
Honestly, I'm not certain what throttle lag people may be speaking of. I know that any bit of lag I did have was abolished when I modified my intake myself and got even better with the exhaust but beyond that, I may be unaware because my Passat is the only one I've driven. I'm certain the tune will further improve the response and everything else. That I will be getting done custom as well.

I will add that I'm rather disappointed in the top end sound of my exhaust mod (after tips were put on). It's gets too quiet for my liking on full throttle up top in cabin. I have no idea what it sounds like outside tho. I will test that out.

#80 ·
So, to give you guys a quick synopsis of what's going on with the project, the car is actually responding really well to each mod. From stock to the intake change, the revs per second have made a nice increase. BTW, the data I'm acquiring is calculated by a program my friend uses on his CPU that works with vag-com. After running more logs again last night, the slight exhaust mod had made some more good improvements on the revs and overall power. For those that understand, the stock rev per second was around 340. With the intake, it was around 360 and timing was improved greatly. After the exhaust mod, the revs per second jumped to about 375. My goal after all mods are complete is to get the car to over 400 revs, which is very doable with the current progress and expected gains. As for the timing, it went from just over -.11 to about -.06 after the intake with 0 being optimum.

In conclusion, though the power gains aren't through the roof, there are notable gains and the overall performance of the car is increasing nicely and steadily. We expect the biggest gain to be in performance to come from the cat delete. Piece by piece I will update you guys on the gains so you know what will effect your cars the most just in case you all want to or were thinking of doing certain mods yourselves.

#83 ·
I've never been to any gtgs but I am definitely interested in going to some this year. I need some good ideas myself.

And I was afraid of the same issue with the intake as well. I was going to just write it off as a sound improvement if the power was effected but to my surprise, even with the direct contact with engine air, the car is still responding well to it. I'm actually at the NY auto show now and there's a mustang I took a picture of to post later in the forum of the idea I'm going with to block off the cone from the engine. Going to be another trip to home depot to get this done and it will be crazy simple. A little cutting required but should be as fun as arts and crafts.

#86 ·
im not sure if u still have this car, but i will recommend upsolute chip
i gained 10% in hp and torque
smoother and no speed limiter
$350
Actually, I believe we had a discussion in another thread about the upsolute vs unitronic tune. I do still have the car and plan on doing the tune shortly but I haven't decided on who to go with. I'm looking into all my options but it mostly comes down to accessibility. I noticed that revo also has a tune for the 3.6 so I will consider that one as well. Do you have any dyno charts?

#90 ·
Hello all, I recently picked up a 3.6L 4motion Passat and I've been researching potential mods I can do for the car. Seems to be a limited search, so, I was wondering if any of out there know of a good deal of performance mods for the car that wouldn't effect the reliability of the car as well.

So far, I have found the Revo tune (no brainer), R32 VFE intake supposedly fits it, and I figure it couldn't hurt doing a high flow cat, though, from what I understand, the exhaust supposedly flows free enough from the factory.

Are there any other mods out there I may be unaware of? Possibly another R32 or R36 mod that fits the Passat? And anyone out there have any videos of a good exhaust done other than the suitcase mod I've been seeing? That's pretty cool, but I wouldn't mind a little more throatiness rather than raspiness.

All comments, answers, and questions are welcome to this thread. Just please keep it to the relativity of Passat modding. Thanks!
One question I just bought a 2006 Passat 3.6 VR6 and it has the sport gear is that 4 motion?? My first VW

#91 ·
The quickest, easiest way for anyone (regardless of car or VW knowledge) to tell if a B6 is 4motion or not is to check the tailpipes: a single pipe on each side of the car = 4motion; double pipe on the left = FWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.