Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: This thread is about crashing your car on the Nürburgring...

Vehicles
      Track ready, Supercharged R32+ Track-Ready Vw Polo 6N, with GTI motor.
      03-29-2011 07:53 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      That's why I'm going next week. It shouldn't be too crowded this early in the season.
      Thats great Weather should be good too, i think..its warming up at least!

Ill be going hopefully in june or so..maybe we can meet up there for a few laps/laughs

2. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His+Hers= seats 11, 16 cylinders, 72v, 8.7L, 815hp, 748lbft, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spkrs
      03-29-2011 07:57 AM #27
      I love the classics vid. All the old BMW's want to go around backwards and all the OLD VW's want to go around upside down

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      03-29-2011 08:23 AM #28
      Seems like the guy in the yellow GT3 lifted and paid the price.

Great thread!

Vehicles
      2010 Hyundai Tucson
      03-29-2011 08:32 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by KrautFed View Post
      Lets make if fair... I'd trade 7 min orgasm w/ Jessica Biel over 7 min Ring lap time anyday.
      sec-onds

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      03-29-2011 08:57 AM #30
      I worked with a guy that flipped a 5 series about 10 years ago on the ring. Some guys in motorcyles were screwing around in front of him...it was either take them out or flip the car. He and his wife walked away with just bumps and cuts. He showed me pictures of the car afterwards...it was nuts.
      King for President.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      03-29-2011 09:31 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      All that tells me is that lots of Americans visit the Ring. Europeans don't crash. It's true, I read it in a book.
      What do you think would happen if they opened up Laguna Seca and made it a free for all...

-A couple bucks to get on
      -NO tech inspection
      -NO instruction
      -NO safety gear requirement
      -NO flaggers
      -Cars/trucks/busses/RV's/motorcycles/quads are OK

Do you think it would work? I don't.

Vehicles
      Several
      03-29-2011 09:42 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      What do you think would happen if they opened up Laguna Seca and made it a free for all...

Do you think it would work? I don't.
      I think it would work BEAUTIFULLY, as long as you had to sign an iron-clad disclaimer before you enter. You-tube was MADE for this. Hell, it could be a Sunday-evening show, a la America's Funniest Home Videos.

Vehicles
      03-29-2011 09:51 AM #33
      I dunno how he managed this one...

Wrecking the rental car, glad I'm not this guy.

9. Member
      03-29-2011 09:55 AM #34
      The United States and it's litigious society could learn a lot from the Europeans.

It's called personal accountability. You race, you crash, you pay.
      -Andrew
      2005 Nissan Xterra SE
      2012 GMC Sierra Z71
      1983 28 Ft Nauset Downeast

10. Banned
      03-29-2011 10:03 AM #35
      The majority of Americans can't drive for ****. This ******* I know keeps wanting to race my Integra in his SRT-4. I keep saying "why not do it legally at a road course"? He thinks he'll win despite my 4 HPDE days under my belt at 18 (and many more to come) because it's a mad tyte SRT-4 with factory stage 1 making 280wheel and cold air on the snail and no front camber and just strut bars and untuned suspension. He hasn't gone to a road course once.

:hammer: on me, I'm beat. Can't compete with that godly SRT-4.

Americans can't drive; why do you think most "racers" choose to drag race instead of road race? That's right, they don't know how to take turns fast without hitting a wall and damaging their precious 40k EVO.

Vehicles
      MKV GTI, E36 328
      03-29-2011 10:08 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
      I remember from driving in a sim that Adanauer Forst is a deceptively slow chicane...I bet most of those people were riding the brakes freaking out about coming in too hot and spun around

Here's a good save (or was it on purpose?):
      It cracks me up that he is doing that while fist pumping out the window.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      03-29-2011 10:08 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      The majority of Americans can't drive for ****. This ******* I know keeps wanting to race my Integra in his SRT-4. I keep saying "why not do it legally at a road course"? He thinks he'll win despite my 4 HPDE days under my belt at 18 (and many more to come) because it's a mad tyte SRT-4 with factory stage 1 making 280wheel and cold air on the snail and no front camber and just strut bars and untuned suspension. He hasn't gone to a road course once.

Americans can't drive; why do you think most "racers" choose to drag race instead of road race? That's right, they don't know how to take turns fast without hitting a wall and damaging their precious 40k EVO.

Have YOU ever been to the Nürburgring??

I guarantee anytime you go during the high season you will see a hand full of cars in the carpark missing front clips; sporting a big dent in _____; or are generally bashed to hell. You're going to see cars leaving the track on flatbed quite a few times too.

You realize people DIE on the 'ring? These are EUROPEANS!

BTW, Europeans enjoy drag racing too... and *gasp* some even like American cars!
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      03-29-2011 10:09 AM #38
      I drove the 'ring back in 2005 in a POS rental Nissan Primera station wagon with the base engine. I believe it had 100 bhp, give or take. I'm sure I pissed off a lot of the other drivers, but I didn't care. I didn't have the money to rent anything worth driving so I made do with what I had.

Saw at least two BMWs hugging the guardrails. Nothing more expensive.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      03-29-2011 10:11 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post

The majority of Europeans can't drive for **** either. However most are smart enough to keep off of a racetrack when they really don't belong. Those that don't know better end up in these videos and pay dearly.

I don't know if that's the case in the US. I think there would be too many overly aggressive overly competitive douchebags with not enough skill if an "open track" was available in the US.

I can't even imagine how many people would call each other out just on the forums alone and turn it into racewars.

(your post is a perfect example)

15. 03-29-2011 10:13 AM #40

Haha. Thats mad, For some reason every Lancer on a track day I've attended seems to be driven by a guy like this with something to prove...

The majority of Europeans can't drive for **** either. However most are smart enough to keep off of a racetrack when they really don't belong. Those that don't know better end up in these videos
      Don't forget 99% of circuits in the UK and Europe would require the briefing, the marshals, the helmets, etc just like Laguna Seca, and you can't turn up and jut run. the 'Ring is the single exception, an oddity that somehow survives in our health and safety obsessed world. Its not like this is standard practice, and because of that you do see a crash at least hourly during busy times, more when it's wet. Nothing to do with where the driver is from IMO.
      Last edited by Mikedav; 03-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

16. Banned
      03-29-2011 12:03 PM #41
      I think there would be too many overly aggressive overly competitive douchebags with not enough skill if an "open track" was available in the US.
      QFT.

I can't even imagine how many people would call each other out just on the forums alone and turn it into racewars.

(your post is a perfect example)
      Yea, but I've come to expect it from SRT-4 owners (just by lurking their forum).

Vehicles
      03-29-2011 12:23 PM #42

Crash @ 2:30...

This one is close to being epicly awesome.

Vehicles
      03-29-2011 12:32 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikedav View Post

Don't forget 99% of circuits in the UK and Europe would require the briefing, the marshals, the helmets, etc just like Laguna Seca, and you can't turn up and jut run. the 'Ring is the single exception, an oddity that somehow survives in our health and safety obsessed world. Its not like this is standard practice, and because of that you do see a crash at least hourly during busy times, more when it's wet. Nothing to do with where the driver is from IMO.
      A trackday I did at Spa required helmet - but no instruction or passing rules. It was close to a free-for-all.

Another I did in the Czech Republic had literally no rules.

The Hockenheimring also has open (show up and run) Tourist driving which has little regulation. Helmet is optional.

I'm not saying that regulated/instructed track days don't exist - I'm sure they do. However, there are plenty in Europe which are truly at "show up and drive."

19. 03-29-2011 12:38 PM #44
      I'm not saying that regulated/instructed track days don't exist - I'm sure they do. However, there are plenty in Europe which are truly at "show up and drive."

Sorry my reply was more general, not pointed at you specifically

Vehicles
      '04 GTO
      03-29-2011 12:46 PM #45

03-29-2011 12:57 PM #46
      I love the people in the stand clapping after a wipeout. That's so euro-rude... something the US is missing.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      03-29-2011 01:01 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
      I remember from driving in a sim that Adanauer Forst is a deceptively slow chicane...I bet most of those people were riding the brakes freaking out about coming in too hot and spun around

Here's a good save (or was it on purpose?):
      Well sticking his hand out the window at full opposite lock in mid-drift makes me think it was on purpose...

Vehicles
      1982 Jetta Diesel, 1981 Rabbit Shell, 2007 GSX-R750
      03-29-2011 01:03 PM #48
      pfllll

03-29-2011 01:09 PM #49
      Watching these clips I can't even begin to understand how people can manage to drive through such a narrow road at such speeds. I count myself among those who would never even attempt to drive on an open track course.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

25. 03-29-2011 01:11 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Well sticking his hand out the window at full opposite lock in mid-drift makes me think it was on purpose...
      Looked like it may have been RHD (think it has UK plates but it's a quick shot)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast