Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: This thread is about crashing your car on the Nürburgring...

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo und Rennsemmel
      03-31-2011 04:03 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      RING MINI!

Exactly

The Adenauer Forst doesn't seem to be an easy one, even going the "wrong way" (cf 7:20ish). And yes, Achim knows his car and the track...

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      03-31-2011 04:08 PM #72
      I remember seeing that Ringmini when I was riding along with my brother. It passed us like we were standing still lol.

Erik

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      03-31-2011 05:30 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      I remember seeing that Ringmini when I was riding along with my brother. It passed us like we were standing still lol.

Erik
      As did everything else.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      03-31-2011 06:24 PM #74
      "Amateurs"

5. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-31-2011 06:26 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      "Amateurs"

burnedude.jpg
      Ok?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      03-31-2011 06:34 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL View Post
      Ok?
      Nikki Lauda... do some research.

7. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-31-2011 06:37 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Nikki Lauda... do some research.

A pic of some old dude gets posted and we're all supposed to know who it is?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      03-31-2011 06:39 PM #78
      I used deductive reasoning, but you could do the following.

Right-Click
      Properties
      Address
      File Name

9. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      03-31-2011 06:40 PM #79
      I used deductive reasoning, but you could do the following.

Right-Click
      Properties
      Address
      File Name

Or someone could have just put in a name

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      03-31-2011 07:17 PM #80
      Apparently the internet isn't self-serve today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
      A week before the 1976 German Grand Prix at the fearsome Nürburgring, (even though he was the fastest driver on the circuit at that time) Lauda tried to boycott the circuit, largely due to the safety arrangements. Most of the other drivers voted against it and the race went ahead. On the second lap at the very fast left kink before Bergwerk, Lauda's Ferrari swerved off the track, due to a suspected rear suspension failure, hit an embankment and rolled back into the path of Brett Lunger's Surtees-Ford car. Lauda's Ferrari burst into flames, but, unlike Lunger, he was trapped in the wreckage. Drivers Arturo Merzario, Brett Lunger, Guy Edwards and Harald Ertl arrived at the scene a few moments later, but before they and Lunger were able to pull Lauda from his car, he suffered severe burns to his head and inhaled hot toxic gases that damaged his lungs and blood. Although Lauda was conscious and able to stand immediately after the accident, he later lapsed into a coma.[7]

Lauda suffered extensive scarring from the burns, which became possibly his most famous attribute in the eyes of the public. He only had enough reconstructive surgery to get his eyelids to work properly, but never felt a need to do any more. His right ear is mostly gone. Since the accident he has always worn a cap to cover the scars on his head. He has arranged for sponsors to use the cap for advertising.

With Lauda out of the contest, Ferrari boycotted the Austrian GP in protest at what they saw a preferential treatment shown towards McLaren driver James Hunt at the Spanish and British GPs. Carlos Reutemann was even taken on as a potential replacement.

Lauda returned to race only six weeks (two races) later, finishing fourth in the Italian GP. In Lauda's absence, Hunt had reduced his lead in the World Championship standings. Following wins in the Canadian and United States GPs, Hunt stood only three points behind Lauda before the final race of the season, the Japanese GP.

Lauda qualified third, one place behind Hunt, but on race day there was torrential rain and Lauda retired after 2 laps, stating that he felt it was unsafe to continue under these conditions. Hunt led much of the race before a late puncture dropped him down the order. He recovered to 3rd, thus winning the title by a single point. In spite of this, Lauda's move is seen as one of the bravest examples in motor racing.
      He was given last rights that day, and it was the last year F1 races at the north ring.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      03-31-2011 10:56 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      I don't so much mind the car; it's the fact that 99% of the people who own it are chavs who think that it is the most godly car to ever grace (or in this case, not) the streets of America. I mean, IIRC, it doesn't even have front CAMBER stock. How the **** are you going to do ANYTHING on a road course without that? Sure, the SRT-4 is amazing at what it was built to do (drag racing), but when the owners start claiming BS, that's when I get pissed.

I heard this from a track junkie: a Neon SRT-4 can't even out handle a schoolbus on a road course
      Every car has camber when you buy it(Usually positive on one side, negative on the other, for road crown). It's not some sort of part you buy.

Also, your friend is a moron, the SRT-4 is one of the best handling FWD cars you can buy, even more so in ACR trim.

12. Banned
      03-31-2011 11:00 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Also, your friend is a moron, the SRT-4 is one of the best handling FWD cars you can buy, even more so in ACR trim.
      [img]http://images2.******************/ImageMacro/6099451/NOT-SURE-IF-TROLL-OR-JUST-STUPID.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Futurama-Fry[/img]

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      03-31-2011 11:08 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by mKsTurbo View Post
      the 7sec ring master is priceless

there was a whole thread on it awhile back, the entire story even.

bunch of guys from UK decided to do the "lifelong dream" drive cross country and drive the ring, they documented the whole thing, its a pretty decent read, hopefully someone with better memory/logging skills can pull that out of the history books and repost it here.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      03-31-2011 11:19 PM #84
      [img]http://images2.******************/ImageMacro/6099451/NOT-SURE-IF-TROLL-OR-JUST-STUPID.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Futurama-Fry[/img]
      Neons were tin-can penalty boxes with so-so reliability and durability, but they're great to drive, and yes, handle very well for FWD cars. Hell, they even had multi-link rear suspensions, unlike, well, any MkIII or MkIV Volkswagen.

The only knock I've ever heard against SRT-4s at the track is that they tend to eat drive axles. Well, when I say eat, I mean eject them from the transmission at speed.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

15. Banned
      03-31-2011 11:43 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      Neons were tin-can penalty boxes with so-so reliability and durability, but they're great to drive, and yes, handle very well for FWD cars. Hell, they even had multi-link rear suspensions, unlike, well, any MkIII or MkIV Volkswagen.

The only knock I've ever heard against SRT-4s at the track is that they tend to eat drive axles. Well, when I say eat, I mean eject them from the transmission at speed.
      Well, I looked up SRT-4 FAQs on their hateful website and front camber setting STOCK is 0 degrees.

On the note of handling: I remember reading somewhere that a famous autoX driver took an SRT-4 (can't remember if it was the 1st gen or 2nd one with LSD) on a course and absolutely hated it/had a horrible time. I mean, if one of the best autoX drivers in the world can't make a given car run a great time, then I'm not sure the handling is "amazing". Sure, stiffer suspension, thicker swaybars, and LSD help, but I'm not convinced that back 7 years ago Dodge paid all too much attention to properly tuning the suspension of the SRT-4 as they did the engine and turbo setup for drag racing.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      03-31-2011 11:50 PM #86
      I thought it was funny when ads for car insurance popped up during the first vid.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      04-01-2011 03:53 AM #87
      Well, I looked up SRT-4 FAQs on their hateful website and front camber setting STOCK is 0 degrees.

On the note of handling: I remember reading somewhere that a famous autoX driver took an SRT-4 (can't remember if it was the 1st gen or 2nd one with LSD) on a course and absolutely hated it/had a horrible time. I mean, if one of the best autoX drivers in the world can't make a given car run a great time, then I'm not sure the handling is "amazing". Sure, stiffer suspension, thicker swaybars, and LSD help, but I'm not convinced that back 7 years ago Dodge paid all too much attention to properly tuning the suspension of the SRT-4 as they did the engine and turbo setup for drag racing.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_SRT-4#Racing

I love how you think camber is the only thing that will affect how a car handles.

18. 04-01-2011 04:55 AM #88
      I thought you guys were car and/or racing enthusiasts? Then you should know who Lauda is...
      Last edited by windi; 04-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-01-2011 05:51 AM #89
      If anyone wants go crash their car with me next weekend, I'll be there: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Sun)...-anyone

Let me know.

20. Banned
      04-01-2011 08:27 AM #90
      If anyone wants go crash their car with me next weekend, I'll be there: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Sun)...-anyone

Let me know.
      I can ship my beater ass A6 over so you can wreck it, and then I can buy a new car!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_SRT-4#Racing

I love how you think camber is the only thing that will affect how a car handles.
      I think you're confusing speed with handling ability. You can pull away in the straights to get the lead but still lose ground in the corners. That doesn't mean it has amazing handling ability. And nowhere did I say camber is the only thing affecting handling (though it matters quite a bit). But the FACT that Dodge failed to give the car front camber at all from the factory is a to me, and I don't see how you can claim that it handles well if it is missing even that important component. Plus, you can't pull out the "World Champ. Racing" or "SCCA Pro" stuff because those cars are NOT stock by any means, and therefore will have had a camber kit added to the front, stiffer sway bars than stock, strut bars, weight reduction, bigger turbo, etc.

21. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      04-01-2011 08:40 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by windi View Post
      I thought you guys were car and/or racing enthusiasts? Then you should know who Lauda is...
      You elitists should know that not every enthusiast watches F1

Vehicles
      '04 GTO
      04-01-2011 08:43 AM #92
      Why does every decent thread on this board turn into a ****storm of idiots arguing about nothing?

23. Banned
      04-01-2011 08:48 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria View Post
      Why does every decent thread on this board turn into a ****storm of idiots arguing about nothing?
      Stimulates good discussion, even though it is extremely OT.

Vehicles
      '04 GTO
      04-01-2011 08:50 AM #94
      If you want to discuss something that is "extremely OT" make a new thread about it. Don't **** in someone else's thread

25. 04-01-2011 09:03 AM #95
      Knowledge is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as (i) expertise, and skills acquired by a person through ((experience or education))

26. Banned
      04-01-2011 09:22 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria View Post
      If you want to discuss something that is "extremely OT" make a new thread about it. Don't **** in someone else's thread
      Y u mad tho?

And on the topic of crashing at the 'ring, when I play my Forza 3 on the 'ring I can't make it through the race without going off road once or needing to hit the back button (even when not even trying to go fast). If I can't even do a complete lap without messing up on a video game, I don't expect to do the same IRL. Funny to see others attempt and fail though.

27. 04-01-2011 09:34 AM #97
      The majority of Americans can't drive for ****. This ******* I know keeps wanting to race my Integra in his SRT-4. I keep saying "why not do it legally at a road course"? He thinks he'll win despite my 4 HPDE days under my belt at 18 (and many more to come) because it's a mad tyte SRT-4 with factory stage 1 making 280wheel and cold air on the snail and no front camber and just strut bars and untuned suspension. He hasn't gone to a road course once.

:hammer: on me, I'm beat. Can't compete with that godly SRT-4.

Americans can't drive; why do you think most "racers" choose to drag race instead of road race? That's right, they don't know how to take turns fast without hitting a wall and damaging their precious 40k EVO.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      04-01-2011 09:37 AM #98
      this is particularly funny today with the 1911 button

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      04-01-2011 09:46 AM #99
      On the note of handling: I remember reading somewhere that a famous autoX driver took an SRT-4 (can't remember if it was the 1st gen or 2nd one with LSD) on a course and absolutely hated it/had a horrible time.
      The SCCA Solo National Tour results would like to have a word with you. The SRT-4 has been kicking ass and taking names for a few years now, including the 2010 national champion.

P.S. I don't care either way about the SRT-4. Never driven one. Not a mopar fan. But your points are generally invalid and that bugs me more. So yeah. One driver disliking a car does not mean it is completely incapable of this mystical thing called 'handling'.

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 09:47 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Do yourself a favor and DON'T rent that for your first time out. Really. It will be a waste of money (or worse).

Get some FWD ****box. You need 10-15 laps under your belt before you can consider opening anything up.
      or an 316 or 318 if you want to do RWD.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-01-2011 09:50 AM #101
      So... what does an SRT-4 rant have to do with the Nürburgring? Go away noob! Or is that a troll account?

Anyway, my mission next weekend is to take pictures of cars that didn't make it around in one piece.

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 10:04 AM #102
      I never knew Brunnchen was such a crash spot. I figure most people who would stuff it at Brunnchen would have already stuffed it in Adenauer Forst

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 10:09 AM #103
      So... what does an SRT-4 rant have to do with the Nürburgring? Go away noob! Or is that a troll account?
      but just to put some relation here... how about a bone stock SRT4 going round the ring in 9:36

and another one

and a helmet cam one (this one's pretty cool, not a lot of volume though, but you get to see where he's looking

34. Banned
      04-01-2011 10:26 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      I never knew Brunnchen was such a crash spot. I figure most people who would stuff it at Brunnchen would have already stuffed it in Adenauer Forst
      Is Metzgesfeld the weird uphill "kink"? I feel most people would take that uphill with too much gas and then overshoot the kink if they passed Forst...

35. Banned
      04-01-2011 10:56 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      The SCCA Solo National Tour results would like to have a word with you. The SRT-4 has been kicking ass and taking names for a few years now, including the 2010 national champion.
      Why is it in G stock?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast