Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TT on FK Streetline Coilovers

1. Member
      Vehicles
      00 TTq
      02-26-2012 06:14 PM #26
      Does anyone have a picture of the rear with FK rear spring, no perch?

I can't decide if I want to go; FK rear spring with no perch or AFCO spring, with perch.

AFCO spring, no perch was too low last summer. Want a little better ride this time around.

Reason why I ask is because I don't want to have to replace the stretch bolts if I don't like it the first time around.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT 225 / 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro x2
      02-27-2012 02:27 AM #27
      stretch bolts? where are these stretch bolts? they all looked like regular bolts to me when i was doing the rear of my 225.

now i'm scared i re-used a stretch bolt...

i've been running these for about a few weeks now, i like the feeling of them, but i'm rubbing and it's annoying. i have spacers in the front and back to make the rim flush with the fender, so i believe i need to take a fender roller to it.

Right now there's 0 gap, no tuck, so it looks perfect to me.

I installed them with 20 threads left in the front.
      I threaded the perch and locker all the way up in the rear, but removed the white plastic spacer that the spring sits on. (b^tch to get off).

Regardless, i'm going to install my summer wheels/tires and see if i'm still rubbing. these winter tires are a taller profile and are very rolly in the corners (and have studs in them). so traction is limited. could be a night and day difference. i really had no plan on driving the TT this winter but my cq is in project mode.

after settling in a week

there's a little rubbing around corners currently

final product with my beefier winter tires (could be why i'm rubbing)
      2001 Audi TT 225 - DD mod list= http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3243695/2001-audi-tt
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - Project G6 classified

3. Member
      Vehicles
      00 TTq
      02-27-2012 05:35 PM #28
      I guess I will try the FK spring only then. That looks little lower than my setup right now, with perches in.

I believe the stretch bolts are the ones that go through the rear shock.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi 180Q Aviator Gray
      02-27-2012 07:31 PM #29
      hey frostyflax, where did you get those headlights??

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat, 2014 Fusion
      02-27-2012 08:22 PM #30
      @ frostyflax Love the wheels! I have the exact same ones. Very nice set up you got there!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-01-2012 10:15 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Chuckmeister87 View Post
      hey frostyflax, where did you get those headlights??
      i made them... not happy with the color or brightness of the led's. they're definitely visible during the daylight, but with them behind the osir clear lenses it gives them a blueish tint. they were pure white when i tested them (and brighter). so i'm going to see if i can redo them this summer with some bigger brighter 4300k led bulbs. The inserts are painted gloss black, and i sanded the crap out of the lenses and polished them. I moved the turn signals to the fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by vonnie77 View Post
      @ frostyflax Love the wheels! I have the exact same ones. Very nice set up you got there!
      thank you, she's one of my babies. she has 4 rings, my g/f has 0.
      2001 Audi TT 225 - DD mod list= http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3243695/2001-audi-tt

7. 03-02-2012 09:11 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by frostyflax17 View Post
      yeah, i know about if you have too soft of a spring and the shock is stiffer, you can wear your shocks out and vise versa.

it's kinda like low, med, and high, you just want to make sure you don't mix a high and low. but a med with high or a med with low is ok for awhile.

how do you think a bilstein is better then a fk? a proper ratio of spring rate to shock rate. bilstein just had the resources to figure out what was best.

with me... it'll be more trial and error...

i wonder if i could find an adjustable shock to fit in
      You must be joking right?

Might as well stay stock instead of carrying out those demonic plans you laid out in past few posts.

FYI there are stretch bolts ( torque to yield ) in various spots in the suspension. They are suppose to be "single use" items and only reused if you have a death wish.
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 03-02-2012 at 09:16 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-09-2012 10:48 AM #33
      to each there own. don't get your panties in a bunch about other peoples likes and dislikes.

you apparently need to do some more reading into how suspension works. you MAKE custom suspensions, you MAKE them to your liking. just because it doesn't have a huge price tag and a name brand doesn't mean that it can't be good quality. don't be such a stickler calling my plans demonic.

and i replaced the proper stretch bolts. it did not say in the Bentley i don't think that they should be replaced. so i asked around.

once again, to each there own. i personally love the look of my car minus the silly blue led's right now. soon they will look more like the new TT's.
      Last edited by frostyflax17; 03-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.

9. 03-09-2012 04:26 PM #34
      to each there own. don't get your panties in a bunch about other peoples likes and dislikes.

you apparently need to do some more reading into how suspension works. you MAKE custom suspensions, you MAKE them to your liking. just because it doesn't have a huge price tag and a name brand doesn't mean that it can't be good quality. don't be such a stickler calling my plans demonic. .
      Yeah Marcus, maybe you should read this thread. Some guy named MadMax wrote it and it really helped me learn about the TT suspension. Maybe you could learn a bit about it too.

I keep it bookmarked so I can read more as I understand more. I sure wish he was around still so I could thank him for taking the time to do all that writing!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-TT-suspension

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      03-09-2012 04:44 PM #35
      Lol.

Vehicles
      2000 180q TT
      03-09-2012 05:07 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Lol.
      Im with this guy.

Both you other dudes have lots and lots to learn...

Marcus is a friend of mine and a very knowledgeable individual whether youd like to admit it or not. Learn a thing or two from this mysterious man.

But youre right, your stuff, you do whatever floats your boat homie.
      Last edited by Tempes_TT; 03-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.
      /// GTX Build and Progression ///

Quote Originally Posted by DCMS371 View Post
      You do realize women are biologically programmed to ruin men's lives by making them get rid of anything that they might enjoy more than spending time with the woman right?
      Quote Originally Posted by SchmidTT View Post
      Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

12. 03-09-2012 05:37 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Tempes_TT View Post
      Im with this guy.

Both you other dudes have lots and lots to learn...
      If I am one of those "other dudes", I hope you noticed the

Sarcasm is tough online of course.
      Last edited by AlaskaTT; 03-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Vehicles
      2000 180q TT
      03-09-2012 05:48 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTT View Post
      If I am one of those "other dudes", I hope you noticed the

Sarcasm is tough online of course.
      Yes, sarcasm is tough to grasp via simple text.

I retract my former statement sir.

You do realize women are biologically programmed to ruin men's lives by making them get rid of anything that they might enjoy more than spending time with the woman right?
      Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

14. 03-09-2012 11:04 PM #39
      you apparently need to do some more reading into how suspension works.
      what do you suggest? Maybe you can educate me

On a serious note, (before you turn yourself into the subject of many jokes ) I didn't say what I said previously because I wanted to attack your knowledge or preference when it comes to suspension. I was simply trying to discourage you or anyone reading your "plans" from attempting something I know isn't as simple as you were putting it.

If there is one person that has done custom suspension work on this platform it's me, and I can tell you it's more involved than simply swapping unknown springs on a shock with narrow valving that's not even suited to handle more than 1k of spring change in both direction. I have altered and customized pretty much everything in this suspension and gathered enough data along the way to tell you that your idea will handle worse than stock (wheel rate, natural frequency, valving bias in low and high speed velocities are all customized in my car. Swaybars, ball joint location, caster angle, static weight balance and even Ackerman angles are also modified by Me). I think I have successfully fabricated/designed enough parts, (that are not even available "off the shelf" for this chassis) to know what I'm talking about without needing to discuss credentials.

Now, if you were suggesting re-valving a decent shock to accommodate more springs, this discussion would be totally different but your plan was nothing short of a butchered job. What would your wheel rate, critical damping and overall balance be? I just couldn't find a kinder word than "demonic" to explain how that setup would have handled, my apologies for my limited vocabulary.

When or if you decide to change your original formula I'll gladly steer you in the right direction but for now I can only tell you that the following ain't going to work

" if they're too soft... i'll swap in stiffer springs,
      not low enough? shorter springs.
      kidneys crying? stronger shocks "
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 03-10-2012 at 09:27 AM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      03-10-2012 01:54 AM #40
      Max has no patience. There are rules here, obey them. Lol

Vehicles
      2000 180q TT
      03-10-2012 09:11 AM #41
      Mind = Blown

Vehicles
      2001/ TT 225Q
      03-10-2012 03:08 PM #42
      nice most likely their going to b my next setup
      TiNgYyY

Vehicles
      01' S3, 01' TT 225 roadster w/Hardtop (sold), 03' Jetta (sold)
      03-10-2012 04:57 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by PLAYED TT View Post
      TT's dont go low in the rear on off the shelf coils
      i highly disagree
      I'm on Bilstein PSS9's coilovers that apparently dont go low at all, and I was tucking tire all around last season
      DubCult _ Florio Special _ S3

Vehicles
      01' S3, 01' TT 225 roadster w/Hardtop (sold), 03' Jetta (sold)
      03-10-2012 05:04 PM #44
      pics for reference

DubCult _ Florio Special _ S3

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:08 PM #45
      sorry for my arrogance, i just got my panties in a bunch when someone called my crazy ideas demonic.

I do a ton of research before i do any actual fabrication, so i wouldn't be following any of my previously stated plans to a T. I consult people like you who have done there research and base my plans off of that information. So once again, i apologize for the ignorance. I do know what i'm talking about most of the time. I just don't articulate it all into a forum where "most" readers are... lacking.

I'll hit you up when i plan on dropping a heavier engine in the front of the TT and need to do some more research on the best custom suspension set up.

21. 03-13-2012 02:12 PM #46
      sorry for my arrogance, i just got my panties in a bunch when someone called my crazy ideas demonic.

I do a ton of research before i do any actual fabrication, so i wouldn't be following any of my previously stated plans to a T. I consult people like you who have done there research and base my plans off of that information. So once again, i apologize for the ignorance. I do know what i'm talking about most of the time. I just don't articulate it all into a forum where "most" readers are... lacking.

I'll hit you up when i plan on dropping a heavier engine in the front of the TT and need to do some more research on the best custom suspension set up.
      No harm done bud !

The madman is always there to help and steer you back in the right path

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:14 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      No harm done bud !

The madman is always there to help and steer you back in the right path
      What you did there, I see it.

23. Member
      03-13-2012 02:21 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tipgls View Post
      i highly disagree
      I'm on Bilstein PSS9's coilovers that apparently dont go low at all, and I was tucking tire all around last season
      Quattro? and perches out?
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:
      hellaflush-hellafail-stanced-stancing-mental retardation-beaners etc.

Vehicles
      A German thing, and a not so German thing
      03-13-2012 02:21 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      What you did there, I see it.
      Slammed Radio Flyer---flickr---My Build Thread--- Podi
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      if this really happens, I'm 'stancing' my car and going for some 'hellaflush'.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:32 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
      Quattro?
      His avatar says 225, so yes. Perches, he'll have to answer. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast