VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What is the normal operating temperature?

16K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Boosted96GSX 
#1 ·
My 1.8T seems to run hot to me, but I think I may just be a little paranoid. When Sitting, the temp seems to creep up just a bit on my aftermarket VDO gauge. The stock gauge in the cluster never moves from the middle. I find that gauge to be very misleading anyway. Here is a picture of me cruising at probably 50mph on a cool morning. Looks to be at about 200 degrees F.

Usually when I'm driving, it is a bit cooler, and it reaches that point when sitting at a light. I just feel like i remember it staying more around 180 before my rebuild, and now its more around 200.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is one today after shutting the car off. After a couple minutes the temp went up to here...

#3 ·
for what its worth, the stock gauge has a big dead zone around normal temp. You can see it if you log the data with VAG-Com, the temperature will say 190 on the gauge, but it can vary quite a bit without the gauge moving.

#4 ·
Right, that's why I am very happy to have an aftermarket gauge. I have seen 250 degrees on the aftermarket gauge before the cluster gauge even started to move. :banghead:

#5 ·
bump

#6 ·
bump.... Dont any of you have aftermarket water temp gauges????

#7 ·
bump

#8 ·
bump

#9 ·
TTT

#11 ·
IT only saw 250 a very long time ago for only a second when the waterpump impeller broke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.