Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" (kinda)

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      06-04-2012 05:28 PM #456
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      What the was in the box at the end of 7?
      While I understand your post is pretty much sarcasm and ranting...

There was never any question about what was in the box. John Doe says it; "I took a souvenir..."

Depending on how tired I am, I might go for the midnight showing.
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      06-04-2012 06:38 PM #457
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      I'm not going to talk details about the movie and spoil it for anyone- but prepared to be blown away with mind-nubbingly amazing visuals and one of the best music scores in 20 years. The plot was ehhhhhhhhhhh not that great. It felt like they tried to make a movie so massive and all encompassing that they fell flat on their face. Avatar pulled it off, Prometheus fails at it in a dramatic fashion. But who the hell cares, it's a fun ride
      Avatar pulled off having a plot? What? It was a brilliant movie technically but the plot was Dances with Wolves with 8 foot blue cat-aliens instead of indians.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      06-04-2012 07:02 PM #458
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Avatar pulled off having a plot? What? It was a brilliant movie technically but the plot was Dances with Wolves with 8 foot blue cat-aliens instead of indians.
      And yet the script and plot was leaps and bounds better than Prometheus. I had high hopes for the acting but it was so off and on that it became a mess.

I enjoyed the movie 100%. It just isn't the monster of perfection everyone wants it to be. It's a borderline horrible script that was given a second life by a master film maker.

06-04-2012 07:14 PM #459
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Pocahontas, not DWW...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      06-04-2012 09:58 PM #460
      And yet the script and plot was leaps and bounds better than Prometheus.
      It's not to late to change your name from InternetMeme to Avatard.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      06-04-2012 10:06 PM #461
      Quote Originally Posted by speaker View Post
      It's not to late to change your name from InternetMeme to Avatard.

I think the majority will agree with me. I'm not bashing the movie- I loved it. When you see a sci-fi alien film you have to leave your mind at home (unless it's Contact). The plot has holes, the characters are a bit stereotypical cookie cutter- but the scenery, visuals, special effects, darkness, score... it's all perfect. I never said I didn't like it- no movie could live up to the hype that this has behind it. It's a good movie, just isn't great. But it's a damn fine way to kick off the summer blockbusters

I plan on seeing it again Wednesday. Like I said- I think I'll appreciate it more with another view.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      06-05-2012 12:01 AM #462
      New review up from Chisty Lemire of the AP.

"Nothing could possibly satisfy the fervent expectation that has built for Ridley Scott's sorta-prequel to his genre-defining "Alien," but "Prometheus," the director's return to science fiction for the first time in 30 years, comes close.

Strikingly beautiful, expertly paced, vividly detailed and scary as hell, it holds you in its grip for its entirety and doesn't let go. You'll squeal, you'll squirm — at one point, I was curled up in a little ball in my seat in a packed screening room — and you'll probably continue feeling a lingering sense of anxiety afterward. That's how effective it is in creating and sustaining an intensely suspenseful mood.But the further you get away from outer-space journey, the more you may begin to notice some problems with the plot — both specific, nagging holes and a general narrative fuzziness. Describing some of them would give too much away, and we wouldn't dream of doing that. We'll just say that Scott and writers Damon Lindelof (executive producer of "Lost") and Jon Spaihts vaguely touch on the notions of belief vs. science and creation vs. Darwinism, philosophical debates that never feel fully developed."
      Didn't read the rest of the review, so caveat emptor for spoilers.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...157053295.html
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

8. 06-05-2012 01:13 AM #463
      I think the majority will agree with me. I'm not bashing the movie- I loved it. When you see a sci-fi alien film you have to leave your mind at home (unless it's Contact). The plot has holes, the characters are a bit stereotypical cookie cutter- but the scenery, visuals, special effects, darkness, score... it's all perfect. I never said I didn't like it- no movie could live up to the hype that this has behind it. It's a good movie, just isn't great. But it's a damn fine way to kick off the summer blockbusters

I plan on seeing it again Wednesday. Like I said- I think I'll appreciate it more with another view.
      The reason you feel you may appreciate it more might be because it is a film you have to consider.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      1 with 2 doors and 1 with 4 doors
      06-05-2012 07:37 AM #464

What majority will agree with you? That Avatar had a plot outside of "Dances with Smurfotontas in Ferngully"? Sorry but the story in Avatar LITERALLY put me to sleep. If I wanted to watch a pretty videogame I'd have my brother fire up his PS3 and watch him play something, but then again whatever he played would probably have a better story than Avatar.
      Brought to you by Carl's Jr ©

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      06-05-2012 10:32 AM #465
      Australian reviews starting to drop (it opens there on Thursday, one day ahead of the US). No spoilers:

WITH Prometheus, acclaimed director Ridley Scott once again takes the controls of the Alien series in assured and compelling fashion.

The many years of rumours have been proven correct : this is definitely a prequel to Scott’s landmark 1979 sci-fi chiller Alien.

Nevertheless, this new instalment is best viewed as an epic repositioning of the franchise.

The memory of supremely silly follow-ups such as Alien Vs Predator will be obliterated permanently by the majestic visual scale and tremendous performances on display in Prometheus.

If there is a sticking point for those who are not die-hard followers of all things Alien, it could be an erratic screenplay.

The story told here sometimes lacks the both the clarity and urgency many would expect of a blockbuster film.

A complex plot unfolds in the year 2093, where a corporate-funded space mission is underway to investigate the origin of mankind.

After a two-year journey, the 17-strong crew aboard the spaceship Prometheus land on a distant barren moon, where they happen upon a dome-like structure that clearly does not belong there.

Once inside a maze-like arrangement of caves and tunnels, the visitors experience a sequence of terrifying phenomena hinted at in the first Alien film.

What starts out as a honourable quest for knowledge gradually becomes a desperate fight for survival.

On a visual level, Prometheus truly delivers upon all expectations, with superb creature design and some of the best 3D production work since Avatar.

The cast is exceptionally strong, with original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Noomi Rapace (as a feisty scientist), Oscar-winner Charlize Theron (as a pretentious company rep) and a scene-stealing Michael Fassbender (as an android with a secret agenda) the foremost standouts.
      http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1226381057870

Story-wise, Scott couldn't have tackled a tougher subject, as Prometheus delves into existential questions about why humans are on earth and how we got here.

The plot does become muddled in the second half and some of the character's actions are not properly explained, and there's also a lot left for a future franchise to explore.

But Prometheus, while it does have flaws, is a grand, exhilarating blockbuster, with excellent performances, settings that are a visual feast and along with that, much food for thought on the plot.
      http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz1wvg5fmEn
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

11. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-05-2012 12:09 PM #466
      Can't fcking wait!

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      06-05-2012 03:04 PM #467
      Quote Originally Posted by einvolk View Post
      What majority will agree with you? That Avatar had a plot outside of "Dances with Smurfotontas in Ferngully"? Sorry but the story in Avatar LITERALLY put me to sleep. If I wanted to watch a pretty videogame I'd have my brother fire up his PS3 and watch him play something, but then again whatever he played would probably have a better story than Avatar.
      You guys beating the Avatar horse put me to sleep.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

13. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      06-05-2012 04:06 PM #468
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo.T View Post
      You guys beating the Avatar horse put me to sleep.
      Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      06-05-2012 04:22 PM #469
      got a free screening to Prometheus tomorrow!

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      06-05-2012 05:31 PM #470
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      I hate you with the white hot fire of a thousand blazing suns.

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      06-05-2012 07:51 PM #471
      you know, one thing I have noticed in all the alien movies and even previews of the up coming Prometheus is with all the tech involved in the movies (especially aliens) the humans always had $hitty weapons. I've fired stuff that would far surpass power from what I've seen in these movies/previews.
      In Prometheus all I've seen is a flame thrower or two and some hand guns being pulled. I don't get it, especially when they are going to an unknown place with unknown consequences.

not trying to hate, I love the Alien franchise and will be seeing Prometheus opening day but it was just an odd observation.
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

Vehicles
      a van
      06-05-2012 07:56 PM #472
      haha, the humans have to die somehow
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      06-05-2012 07:58 PM #473
      Quote Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
      Australian reviews starting to drop (it opens there on Thursday, one day ahead of the US). No spoilers:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1226381057870

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz1wvg5fmEn

Essentially what I said

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      06-05-2012 08:15 PM #474
      Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
      you know, one thing I have noticed in all the alien movies and even previews of the up coming Prometheus is with all the tech involved in the movies (especially aliens) the humans always had $hitty weapons. I've fired stuff that would far surpass power from what I've seen in these movies/previews.
      In Prometheus all I've seen is a flame thrower or two and some hand guns being pulled. I don't get it, especially when they are going to an unknown place with unknown consequences.

not trying to hate, I love the Alien franchise and will be seeing Prometheus opening day but it was just an odd observation.
      They're scientists/archaeologists/nerds. They're there to do sciencing, not to kill stuff, although I will say that the weapons in Aliens make no sense. In Cameron's Terminator, the weapons are more high-tech in 2029 than the weapons in 22XX in Aliens.

20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-05-2012 08:42 PM #475
      You saw The Avengers early too, didn't you?

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 11:28 PM #476
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      You saw The Avengers early too, didn't you?

my friend somehow gets me free screenings all the time! she had earlier screening tix but I couldn't go last week...

06-06-2012 02:31 AM #477

my friend somehow gets me free screenings all the time! she had earlier screening tix but I couldn't go last week...
      there are websites for stuff like this. I used to be really into it for a while. Went to early screenings all the time. The last one I saw was Tron. Got to see it in 3D a week before it released. gofobo.com is the popular one, but there are others as well.

The trick is that some of them are private, and you have to enter a code to get a screening pass. But there are discussion boards for things like this. I found one for Seattle a while back, and they'd post up the goods for all the movies.

After a while I got tired of driving to downtown seattle at 8pm on a tuesday night, to catch a 9pm screening, and then get home at midnight.

Vehicles
      01' 3.2L 24V 4dr Golf GLS
      06-06-2012 02:50 AM #478
      Just got back from seeing it.

Meh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikedav
      Gee Whiz electric car. Hateful pile of turd which should be banished from humanity for eternity.)

24. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-06-2012 07:13 AM #479
      Quote Originally Posted by Henni View Post
      Just got back from seeing it.

Meh.
      Explain.

Also, I know it's R, but my almost-12 year old wants to see it. Appropriate?

Vehicles
      01' 3.2L 24V 4dr Golf GLS
      06-06-2012 09:19 AM #480
      *possible spoilers* read at own risk.

Not what I was totally expecting. I kinda felt there should have been more.

Visually it was awesome. I just felt the story was lacking somewhat. There is some blood and guts that is typical in the Alien franchise but not as bad as most R action movies. As for the horror aspect, it really isn't between alien and human. For the scare factor unlike original Alien which makes everything contained and fear of the unknown, everything is bascially right in front of you.

As for if it is ok for your 12yr old to see? That would be your call. If they have seen all of the other alien films, then yeah they would be fine w/ this one.

I don't mean to be so cryptic I just don't want to ruin your movie experience.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikedav
      Gee Whiz electric car. Hateful pile of turd which should be banished from humanity for eternity.)

26. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-06-2012 09:27 AM #481
      Quote Originally Posted by Henni View Post
      As for if it is ok for your 12yr old to see? That would be your call. If they have seen all of the other alien films, then yeah they would be fine w/ this one.

He did and he enjoyed. Thanks.

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 10:17 AM #482
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      there are websites for stuff like this. I used to be really into it for a while. Went to early screenings all the time. The last one I saw was Tron. Got to see it in 3D a week before it released. gofobo.com is the popular one, but there are others as well.

The trick is that some of them are private, and you have to enter a code to get a screening pass. But there are discussion boards for things like this. I found one for Seattle a while back, and they'd post up the goods for all the movies.

After a while I got tired of driving to downtown seattle at 8pm on a tuesday night, to catch a 9pm screening, and then get home at midnight.
      Yea gofobo was a site I used but studios are starting to use twitter more often to release screening passes, and my friend is always on twitter.

Anyways, rewatch Alien last night and man is that movie creepy

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      06-06-2012 03:31 PM #483
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post

He did and he enjoyed. Thanks.
      OMGYOUREAHORRIBLEPARENTFORLETTINGYOURKIDWATCHALIEN !!!!!!1111

Totally kidding. That's awesome I watched lots of R rated flicks when I was that age. Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Predator, Terminator/T2 (the classics). I loved them! T2 was the first R-rated film I ever saw in the theater.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 03:45 PM #484

Totally kidding. That's awesome I watched lots of R rated flicks when I was that age. Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Predator, Terminator/T2 (the classics). I loved them! T2 was the first R-rated film I ever saw in the theater.
      re-watching Alien... it really isn't a hard R. Yea there are swear-words, Ripley in that skintillating scene at end, and some gore.. but the gore doesn't reach the limits that are in movies today (gore scenes: baby alien bursting out of chest, robot head falling off, alien attacking the 3 people).

btw, in the last scene of Alien, ripley shoots a grabbling hook at the alien, which blasts it to space, but it stays tied to the ship, and ends up going into one of the ship exhausts... Ripley turns on the boosters, at which point the alien gets shot out and burned up... However, I could've sworn that I saw 3 more aliens shoot out of the exhaust.... Were my eyes playing a trick on me?

30. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-06-2012 04:02 PM #485
      OMGYOUREAHORRIBLEPARENTFORLETTINGYOURKIDWATCHALIEN !!!!!!

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      06-06-2012 04:05 PM #486

I think we've had this discussion somewhere before, but Alien is extremely tame except for basically two scenes. I could see a 12 year old handling it pretty easily.

I remember seeing Starship Troopers when I was 11 and it scared the piss out of me.

Vehicles
      a van
      06-06-2012 04:06 PM #487
      re-watching Alien... it really isn't a hard R. Yea there are swear-words, Ripley in that skintillating scene at end, and some gore.. but the gore doesn't reach the limits that are in movies today (gore scenes: baby alien bursting out of chest, robot head falling off, alien attacking the 3 people).

btw, in the last scene of Alien, ripley shoots a grabbling hook at the alien, which blasts it to space, but it stays tied to the ship, and ends up going into one of the ship exhausts... Ripley turns on the boosters, at which point the alien gets shot out and burned up... However, I could've sworn that I saw 3 more aliens shoot out of the exhaust.... Were my eyes playing a trick on me?
      i think it's just ice breaking off ?

which versions are people watching? 2D? 3D? IMAX 3D?
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      06-06-2012 04:09 PM #488
      I'm quite sure Alien would be PG-13 if released nowadays. Though I really wish the MPAA would FOAD. They're so stupid and all over the place. But that's a topic for a different thread

Now that I think about it, I think Aliens would be PG-13 too. Excluding language, which any kid would hear during the course of a normal day anyway. I don't understand this ****ing need to watch what the **** we say around kids. It's bull****. They hear this ****ing **** every day
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 04:16 PM #489
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      i think it's just ice breaking off ?

which versions are people watching? 2D? 3D? IMAX 3D?
      ok, i watched the DVD director's cut version that was in the Alien Quadroligy. I rewatched it in slow motion multiple times and i see at least 3 different aliens shoot out of the exhaust. I've googled the scene but see no mention of this, so it must have been a mistake... but its definitely there. The initial alien flys out of the exhaust and towards the camera and disappears, and then 2nd and 3rd alien come out of the exhaust, although they look awfully similar to the first. Almost as if they looped the scene??

Vehicles
      a van
      06-06-2012 04:24 PM #490
      ok, i watched the DVD director's cut version that was in the Alien Quadroligy. I rewatched it in slow motion multiple times and i see at least 3 different aliens shoot out of the exhaust. I've googled the scene but see no mention of this, so it must have been a mistake... but its definitely there. The initial alien flys out of the exhaust and towards the camera and disappears, and then 2nd and 3rd alien come out of the exhaust, although they look awfully similar to the first. Almost as if they looped the scene??
      ah i have to pop the disc back in and see for myself then.

sorry, i was referring to Prometheus with my second comment haha

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast