Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" (kinda)

1. 12-23-2011 03:34 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      Those "eggs" look very similar as well.
      I thought the same thing - they are arranged like the eggs in Alien but they look like man made tubes.

I don't know if I am pulling this completely out of me arse or if part of it is based on something I read a while back. I wonder if part of it will be the old story of the "aliens" being created as low intelligence worker bees, sterile at first (so there are the manufactured egg pods) and then they end up becoming able to breed on their own, spread like cockroaches, and end up wiping everything out.

Land of the worst ****ing drivers in the world. Srsly, **** the DMV.
      Vehicles
      2008 Outback
      12-23-2011 06:00 PM #107
      If you slow down the trailer, it shows, what looks like, one of the crew members holding his/her helmet that looks like it has been splashed with some sorta acid.....

just sayin', a lot of aline-like elements here.
      Ravens&
      Bohs&
      Crabs&
      O's.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      12-24-2011 10:11 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      If you slow down the trailer, it shows, what looks like, one of the crew members holding his/her helmet that looks like it has been splashed with some sorta acid.....

just sayin', a lot of aline-like elements here.
      The aliens have to be part of it since they are the whole basis for the franchise. This is supposed to be a prequel to Alien, so why wouldn't they be in it? When they first find the alien ship in Alien, that's where they find all the eggs containing the facehuggers, so again, why wouldn't they be in this one? In the trailer, you can see the Space Jockey's ship, the gun turret, the helmet, and then can clearly see the Space jockey ship crashing onto, presumably, LV426. Don't really see how people are questioning if this is an Alien film or not.......

4. 12-25-2011 01:50 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
      I thought the same thing - they are arranged like the eggs in Alien but they look like man made tubes.

I don't know if I am pulling this completely out of me arse or if part of it is based on something I read a while back. I wonder if part of it will be the old story of the "aliens" being created as low intelligence worker bees, sterile at first (so there are the manufactured egg pods) and then they end up becoming able to breed on their own, spread like cockroaches, and end up wiping everything out.
      I've read that, in the original they were sexless and able to reproduce asexually, somehow. Cameron created the queen and the similarity to insects in the Aliens arc.

I think originally, they were, (and intended to be) more mysterious, arcane and frightening due to being something grander than an insect with acidic blood.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      12-25-2011 11:47 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by crannky View Post
      I've read that, in the original they were sexless and able to reproduce asexually, somehow. Cameron created the queen and the similarity to insects in the Aliens arc.

I think originally, they were, (and intended to be) more mysterious, arcane and frightening due to being something grander than an insect with acidic blood.
      Does anyone know if Scot had any input to the old Dark Horse comics series? In those, there was one where the humans come across another Space Jockey ship with a live Jockey on it. The reason I ask, is in the comic, the Jockey's head is not a helmet, it's his/her real head and in the movie, it seems as though it's a helmet?? Minor thing and I could care less, I was just curious.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      12-25-2011 11:54 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Does anyone know if Scot had any input to the old Dark Horse comics series? In those, there was one where the humans come across another Space Jockey ship with a live Jockey on it. The reason I ask, is in the comic, the Jockey's head is not a helmet, it's his/her real head and in the movie, it seems as though it's a helmet?? Minor thing and I could care less, I was just curious.
      Go on....very infatuated with Space Jockey. Always have been even as a kid seeing that thing wondering wtf was it and why would they put it in the movie and not even bring it up
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

7. 12-25-2011 01:15 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by redgeeteeeye View Post
      Go on....very infatuated with Space Jockey. Always have been even as a kid seeing that thing wondering wtf was it and why would they put it in the movie and not even bring it up
      Because that's exactly the type of stuff tht makes an awesome, intriguiung story and interesting universe.

8. 12-25-2011 02:19 PM #113
      The original movie had the egg pods that looked like the ones in the later movies. The ones in the preview looked manufactured but arranged in the same order as in the later movies.

They could have been created as an army. When you look at their make up they are the perfect soldier - always on the attack, can survive pretty much any environment, armor for skin, acid for blood.

9. 12-25-2011 05:23 PM #114
      The original movie had the egg pods that looked like the ones in the later movies. The ones in the preview looked manufactured but arranged in the same order as in the later movies.

They could have been created as an army. When you look at their make up they are the perfect soldier - always on the attack, can survive pretty much any environment, armor for skin, acid for blood.
      Yeah, I agree with all that, but the concept of a queen was Cameron's doing. Giger and Scott had something more autonomous, sinister and mysterious in mind.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      12-26-2011 04:49 AM #115
      See below - a few pics from the comics and then some up close shots of the actual original Space Jockey prop and a shot from Prometheus. From what I can tell, HR Giger originally designed the Space Jockey so that it would have a helmet and the "trunk" is actually supposed to be an air hose (notice how it's not fossilized like everything else). So I guess the comics aren't canon then.....Still interesting.

Last edited by MeineFolks'wagen; 12-26-2011 at 04:52 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      12-26-2011 12:09 PM #116
      alright please explain. What is the "Space Jockey" and the "Engineer"? never recall seeing them in the original movies...

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      12-26-2011 12:50 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      alright please explain. What is the "Space Jockey" and the "Engineer"? never recall seeing them in the original movies...
      "Space Jockey" is the term that the film crew of the first Alien film came up for the fossilized pilot (or whatever) of the derelict vessel containing all the eggs. It was one of the most memorable scenes in the movie -- classic H.R. Giger nightmare stuff. Look at the post just above yours -- remember that guy? He's the Space Jockey.

Ridley Scott has said that the plot of Prometheus deals in some way with the origin or evolution of life on earth. He used the phrase "gods and engineers type stuff" to refer to this aspect of the plot, and there is a cast member listed in the IMDB info for Prometheus as "The Engineer".

Ridley has also said that he was disappointed that none of the Alien sequels dealt with the question of who the Space Jockey was, where he came from, or what he was doing with a cargo full of alien eggs when he crashed... And that if he ever went back to making an Alien film, he wanted to deal with these things.

So, it's assumed that the Space Jockey was one of these Engineer dudes, and that a live member or members of their race will appear in the new movie.

Much more than that... nobody knows.
      Last edited by dubfan; 12-26-2011 at 01:23 PM.
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      12-26-2011 12:57 PM #118
      Space Jockey scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMPXIcB1huM

Gawd, that movie was so awesomely creepy, I love it. That scene looks like it was filmed yesterday.

Lambert:

Let's get the hell outta here.
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      12-26-2011 01:34 PM #119
      From what I can tell, HR Giger originally designed the Space Jockey so that it would have a helmet and the "trunk" is actually supposed to be an air hose (notice how it's not fossilized like everything else).
      I always thought that that the "trunk" was part of a bigger version of a face-hugger that had gotten the guy. The bulbous thing at the end of the trunk looks like it's organic. And what Dallas thinks are "ribs" are really the "fingers" of the face hugger. Not too many people think that, though, but that's what it's always looked like to me.

I know Ridley has said it's a suit, but I think he's lying. It's not a suit, and that thing on the table looks like a skull, not a helmet.

I'm such a nerd.

Vehicles
      ae86, mk2 diesel NA
      12-26-2011 04:16 PM #120
      So exited to see this.

Can't wait till it hits the theaters

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      12-26-2011 06:34 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
      I always thought that that the "trunk" was part of a bigger version of a face-hugger that had gotten the guy. The bulbous thing at the end of the trunk looks like it's organic. And what Dallas thinks are "ribs" are really the "fingers" of the face hugger. Not too many people think that, though, but that's what it's always looked like to me.
      You know what? that's exactly what I always thought it was, a giant face hugger. the only thing that confused me was why was it bigger than the rest of embrios.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

17. 12-26-2011 06:47 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      You know what? that's exactly what I always thought it was, a giant face hugger. the only thing that confused me was why was it bigger than the rest of embrios.
      Why would a face-hugger be on his chest, though. Makes no sense.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      12-26-2011 08:01 PM #123

I know Ridley has said it's a suit, but I think he's lying. It's not a suit, and that thing on the table looks like a skull, not a helmet.

I'm such a nerd.
      The reference that I made about the Space Jockey being in a suit/helmet is straight from H.R. Giger and Ridley Scot. I'll dig the original article back up and post it when I find it. *Found it - take it for what it's worth:

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Mala'kak

Here is a snippet of that link:

In the comics, the Jockey is shown to have an elephantine trunk. This is inconsistent with the original concept. An inspection of the concept art done by H.R. Giger, shows that the "trunk" is supposed to be an air hose and there is a helmet surrounding the Jockey's head. This is also supported by the fact that soft tissue such as elephant trunks do not fossilize. This does not leave out the possibility of a different kind of trunk, but the one depicted in the comics is very much like an elephant's. None of the works depicting the Jockey with a "trunk" are considered canon - the only canon appearance of the Space Jockey is in Alien and its novelization and directly related works.

In an early script visualized but never written, the Pilot ship had crashed or landed on LV-426 some 10 million years prior to discovery by the Nostromo. It was depicted as having been dragged in some unknown manner to the top of a pyramidal structure, which was the top of an enormous subterranean temple containing the Xenomorph eggs. This is evident in the first Alien film, when Kane notices the hole torn in the bottom of the Pilot ship. It should also be noted that despite later rewrites and storylines, Giger and O'Bannon designed the Pilot so that it appeared to be a sympathetic and friendly lifeform.

Again, take it for what it's worth
      Last edited by MeineFolks'wagen; 12-26-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      12-26-2011 08:17 PM #124
      The reference that I made about the Space Jockey being in a suit/helmet is straight from H.R. Giger and Ridley Scot. I'll dig the original article back up and post it when I find it. *Found it - take it for what it's worth:

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Mala'kak

Here is a snippet of that link:

In the comics, the Jockey is shown to have an elephantine trunk. This is inconsistent with the original concept. An inspection of the concept art done by H.R. Giger, shows that the "trunk" is supposed to be an air hose and there is a helmet surrounding the Jockey's head. This is also supported by the fact that soft tissue such as elephant trunks do not fossilize. This does not leave out the possibility of a different kind of trunk, but the one depicted in the comics is very much like an elephant's. None of the works depicting the Jockey with a "trunk" are considered canon - the only canon appearance of the Space Jockey is in Alien and its novelization and directly related works.

In an early script visualized but never written, the Pilot ship had crashed or landed on LV-426 some 10 million years prior to discovery by the Nostromo. It was depicted as having been dragged in some unknown manner to the top of a pyramidal structure, which was the top of an enormous subterranean temple containing the Xenomorph eggs. This is evident in the first Alien film, when Kane notices the hole torn in the bottom of the Pilot ship. It should also be noted that despite later rewrites and storylines, Giger and O'Bannon designed the Pilot so that it appeared to be a sympathetic and friendly lifeform.

Again, take it for what it's worth
      Yeah, I know. I'm just in denial and irrationally attached to my pet theory

As to why it's on his chest and why it's too big... Well, here's my speculation (rationalization?) on that.

It seems part of Alien canon that the alien life cycle develops using DNA or genetic characteristics of its host (cf. Alien 3 -- the dog, Alien 4 -- the newborn). If the SJ or some other creature were the original host that created the egg from which the SJ's (presumed) face-hugger sprouted, then that would explain it. The reason it's big and attached to its chest is, those are just characteristics of the thing that it was either designed to attack or created from originally.

So, the next question is, why do the eggs in the derelict's hold contain face-huggers that seem particularly well-suited to attack human beings? They're just the right size to fit a human face, and to implant an egg in a human chest cavity. Why is this? My theory: those particular eggs were seeded with human DNA originally, and the how & why of that will be revealed in Prometheus.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      12-26-2011 09:34 PM #125
      So, the next question is, why do the eggs in the derelict's hold contain face-huggers that seem particularly well-suited to attack human beings? They're just the right size to fit a human face, and to implant an egg in a human chest cavity. Why is this? My theory: those particular eggs were seeded with human DNA originally, and the how & why of that will be revealed in Prometheus.
      Oh, I like that!
      What you on about ?

21. 12-26-2011 11:05 PM #126
      In an early script visualized but never written, the Pilot ship had crashed or landed on LV-426 some 10 million years prior to discovery by the Nostromo.
      And the expedition in Prometheus discover it how many years before the crew of the Nostromo?

It was depicted as having been dragged in some unknown manner to the top of a pyramidal structure, which was the top of an enormous subterranean temple containing the Xenomorph eggs. This is evident in the first Alien film, when Kane notices the hole torn in the bottom of the Pilot ship.
      I would say from the pilot we know it wasn't dragged, it rolled.

Also, I am going to guess the warning message the Nostromo picks up ends up being the message we hear Charlize Theron recording in the trailer.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      12-27-2011 07:48 AM #127
      And the expedition in Prometheus discover it how many years before the crew of the Nostromo?
      One of the ideas behind the leaked spoiler (and one that many of us aren't fans of) is that time travel is an element of this film. Assuming that is correct, that would not be an issue. It says in the trailer that "They went looking for our beginning, what they found may be our end". That's not to presume that time travel would automatically be factored in there, but you never know.

would say from the pilot we know it wasn't dragged, it rolled.

Also, I am going to guess the warning message the Nostromo picks up ends up being the message we hear Charlize Theron recording in the trailer.
      Is very possible - again, realize that much of what I had posted is coming from stuff that was conceived in the '70's and subsequent tinkering in the universe. I don't think there is anything concrete/canon that says the Space Jockey ship was dragged, it was just a concept that I think they came up with.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      12-27-2011 08:32 AM #128
      Was the space jockey an ancient relative of the modern day Predators?
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

24. 12-27-2011 10:12 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      Was the space jockey an ancient relative of the modern day Predators?

What? Are you serious? GTFO with fugazzi-ass AvP bull****. It's unmentionable in Scott's glorious universe and down a right dreadful execution of an Alien films. Nothing in this franchise should ever be PG-13, and that whole concept should have never made it off the pages of a ****ty comic series.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      12-27-2011 10:55 AM #130

When I was a kid always thought it was like some weird elephants trunk lol. This last pic is very interesting is it from the new movie or a shot from the old aliens movie?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      12-27-2011 11:52 AM #131
      When I was a kid always thought it was like some weird elephants trunk lol. This last pic is very interesting is it from the new movie or a shot from the old aliens movie?
      The head on the lighted table is from the new movie (from the trailer). It's funny that someone brought up the Predator because there was a pic that was circulating earlier. It was basically a pic (drawing) of what looked like a Space Jockey with the trademark shoulder cannon. It was later said to be fan art and had nothing to do with the movie franchises.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      12-27-2011 12:17 PM #132
      just wondering is anyone actually interested in real alien theories ? Maybe not ones that spit acid but you know what im saying Im not trying to derail the thread either. But my beliefs kinda get me fired up about these movies about the origin of mankind.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      12-27-2011 12:26 PM #133

Scientists Say We Should Search Moon for Alien Traces

Arizona State University's professor Paul Davies—a theoretical physicist and cosmologist now working on astrobiology—and Robert Wagner—Research Technician at the School of Earth & Space Exploration—have published a scientific paper calling for the search of alien artifacts on the Moon..
      http://gizmodo.com/5871092/scientist...r-alien-traces

(if you want to start a thread for this, Aviation & Space is probably the right forum...)

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      12-27-2011 12:36 PM #134
      just wondering is anyone actually interested in real alien theories ? Maybe not ones that spit acid but you know what im saying Im not trying to derail the thread either. But my beliefs kinda get me fired up about these movies about the origin of mankind.
      anything is possible I'm sure but the powers that be would never let it get out.
      the less we know the more control "they" have. MF's
      I of course am firm believer in God but I think we have been here way longer than known history suggests and "mans" interpretation has clouded the fact.

back on topic!
      I am starting to wonder if the Alien we are familiar with was rooted from the space jockey some how. if you can remember when they found him in the first one his chest had exploded out and many have brought up it having a face hugger on it.
      maybe that is where the queen originated from.
      Last edited by demonmk2; 12-27-2011 at 12:41 PM.
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      12-27-2011 01:19 PM #135

def seems like the aliens are just the hunters with no greater purpose or intelligence. But maybe the space jockey runs shyt lol. BTW nice vid in your sig..love me some hip hop

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      12-27-2011 01:53 PM #136
      But my beliefs kinda get me fired up about these movies about the origin of mankind.
      A tangent to plug my favorite sci-fi book series

The man on the moon was dead. They called him Charlie. He had big eyes, abundant body hair and fairly long nostrils. His skeletal body was found clad in a bright red spacesuit, hidden in a rocky grave. They didn't know who he was, how he got there, or what had killed him. All they knew was that his corpse was 50,000 years old -- and that meant that this man had somehow lived long before he ever could have existed!

It's the first in a trilogy. Gotta do something while clicking off days till June!

32. 12-27-2011 03:42 PM #137
      def seems like the aliens are just the hunters with no greater purpose or intelligence. But maybe the space jockey runs shyt lol. BTW nice vid in your sig..love me some hip hop
      Haha, thanks. That was shot while on tour last year in Utah. No production values, just run and gun and a concept that developed that day when we saw the salt flats. We'll be on tour this fall with Tech N9ne, so come come see us live!

Back to the Alien thing, though. Bear with me... As a fan of the original, more than anything, I consider it canon. The other 3 movies are merely conjecture that doesn't necessarily challenge the original, but is a little off in places. I am more than willing to suspend some of the proposed theories of the others, but the Xeno in the original acted very differently than in subsequent films.

The Cameron-perpetuated idea of drones and warriors and hives and all that really takes away from the autonomy and intelligence the lone alien showed in Scott's version. Having giant insects running around killing and attacking anything that moves, versus a very deliberate, sentient, intelligent and cunning being detracts from the mystique of the creature, first and turns the franchise from a cerebral horror film into a really good popcorn-action flick, second.

I like to think of them as intellectually close to and physically superior to humans. Otherwise, what's the point?

33. 12-27-2011 03:47 PM #138
      I've always considered the possibility that we are a splice between monkeys and aliens a possibility... Ever since I was a kid. We act way different than anything else naturally found on this planet.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      12-27-2011 05:20 PM #139
      We act way different than anything else naturally found on this planet.
      Or do we ? Go to your local zoo and watch a family of chimps for about an hour and you'll see how close we really are. It is quite staggering actually. It is not just apes/monkeys either, but most living organisms.
      What you on about ?

35. 12-27-2011 05:27 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Or do we ? Go to your local zoo and watch a family of chimps for about an hour and you'll see how close we really are. It is quite staggering actually. It is not just apes/monkeys either, but most living organisms.
      I was talking about clothes, religion and manscaping and building bombs and stuff.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast