1986 Scirocco 16v
      07-03-2011 10:48 PM #51
      Massachusetts
      --Ryan

2. Member
      Vehicles
      82 Quantum Coupe, 86 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 87 Scirocco 16V
      07-04-2011 09:49 PM #52
      So this is the engine that's going in the car. It's out of a Scirocco built for Autocross, and the guy pulled it to install an even more built engine (rods, pistons, cams, heavy port/polish, etc.). This engine is stock but for some porting/polishing and has very low miles on it. And yes, it's a 2.0L 9A.
      It sat in his basement for a while and it doubles as a woodworking woodshop, so there was plenty of fine sawdust all over it, but nothing to get into the head or anything. It was all sealed up and it had oil in it and it turns over like a dream and there's no weeping from the head gasket or the oil seals or even the valve cover gasket (which is of to be blasted and painted).

Some mild smoothing of the intake ports.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      1990 cq SOLD :(
      07-05-2011 09:08 AM #53
      looks awesome! I miss my scirocco's!!! Good work!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-07-2011 01:18 PM #54
      I just went ahead and ordered a set of the silicone 16V hoses from Gee Bee. Red ones, hope that's a good choice. I like to have light colors on things so I can see oil leaks and such.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07-09-2011 09:15 PM #55
      Oh and I forgot to say I went ahead and installed the new sunroof seal. A big old PITA but next time I do one it'll be easier. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts from GAP (brake stuff, timing belt/tensioner, water pump, t-stat, rad fan switch, flywheel and PP bolts, etc). Engine and trans definitely going in next weekend.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      1977 Scirocco, Protege 5, Mobylette
      07-09-2011 10:10 PM #56
      Nice build - watching ya. "sunroof seal from Germany" - what is that source?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      07-09-2011 10:38 PM #57
      I got mine from Germany, but now mk1autohaus or whatever (moogie on ebay) has them much quicker and not much more expensive at all.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gen-V...Q5fAccessories
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus, 2012 Toyota Yaris
      07-13-2011 12:12 PM #58
      Nice build , in for the results
      2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 5k | |
      2012 Toyota Yaris 17k | |
      XBL = BryGuy888

9. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2011 12:06 AM #59
      Big day today. Engine got its new timing belt, tensioner, crank timing belt cog (with new bolt of course), water pump, & thermostat. Installed the pass side motor mount and the related tin and lower timing cover. Got the engine set in place with a jack for support along with the aforementioned motor mount. The mount is pretty much just keeping the engine balanced. The power steering pump and bracket is installed, the A/C bracket and compressor are installed and I'll add the alternator tomorrow. Also tomorrow, the clutch and the transmission will go on, if all goes well, which means the remaining mounts will also go on. Then the shift linkage and the exhaust and then it's just brakes and she should be pretty much ready.

grimwater

Very small rocks!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2011 12:07 AM #60
      I'll have to wait to get the new silicone hose set...should be this week sometime. I'm hoping next weekend will be it's first test drive, but I'm sure something will come up.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2011 07:24 PM #61
      New clutch installed. Transmission installed. Holy PITA motor/transmission mounts. I forgot what a beach those are if you don't have about 5 different adjustments you can make to the tilt of the engine/transmission. But they're in and happy for now. Exhaust is next. Then brakes. Then button it all up and see where she stands. Pics tomorrow. I'm tired.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2011 10:31 PM #62

And after the other 3 mounts were installed loosely....this freaking front mount! I hate it. Got it pretty close after some gentle pry-bar work all around the engine bay. I think a spacer behind the front mount plate would work wonders.
      Is everyone else's mount angled as much as this? I seem to remember my old Rocco's mount being similar.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      07-18-2011 12:46 AM #63
      I don't remember mine being angled so much, but I did use probably 3/4" worth of spacer between the cup and the radiator support.
      Ben
      '88 Scirocco 16v
      (][__][_]===W===[_][__][)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-20-2011 11:30 AM #64
      Got the stainless braided brake lines today from the Canadian company. Paid $55 shipped through ebay and they look really nice. DOT certified, PVC sleeved, nice black connectors. I'm thinking it was a good buy. I'll post up some pics soon. Most of the kits I've looked at have been $110 plus shipping or thereabouts.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-31-2011 06:34 PM #65
      Header is on. Looks awesome. Doesn't quite line up with the over-axle pipe, but I'll fix that up later. The new O2 sensor is installed in there too. Got the injectors all fitted in with all their new cups and o-rings and whatnot. The K&N is fitted into the airbox and the new Bosch fuel filter is installed with all new sealing washers. I must admit it's a way better setup to have those fitting up under the hood rather than under the car, where they rust away. I'm still waiting on my silicone hose kit to get here and I need to get a new axle flange seal (the black rubber disc from inside the flange cup), then I can put the axles in. My drilled, plated rotors that I had bought way back when turned out to be the wrong ones...too much offset. Then the ones I had for my other project from ECS turned out to be 9.4 instead of 10.1. I can't win. So I ordered a set of drilled/plated front rotors from a Canadian company (Silverstone) and we'll see if they are good or crap. For ~$55 shipped, I can't go wrong.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2011 11:04 AM #66
      Ordered the new knock sensor, all new belts, some oil filters and sealing washers, and new poly control arm bushings from GAP today. Should be here Thursday. The front brake rotors got here this morning, so hopefully I can get them in tonight with the new calipers and stainless braided lines and maybe the bushings too. Man, I want to fire this thing up! This weekend it will fire...
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      08-02-2011 11:23 AM #67
      Looking great

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2011 07:31 PM #68
      Got the front brakes installed. Rotors are raybestos brand that they drilled and plated. Better than the low end stuff from autozone by a long shot. I'm very happy with the money I spent. You can also see the Canadian braided lines in there too. Again, pleasantly surprised. I included pics of the installed injectors and the new fuel filter. I'm really hoping for a fire-up this weekend. I'm still waiting on the silicone hose set. Gotta check on those.

grimwater

Very small rocks!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2011 12:11 PM #69
      Got the prothane control arm bushings, belts, speedo cable gasket, final drive seal, knock sensor, and oil filter w/sealing washer today from GAP. Also the set screws for the front rotors (I hate not having those and yes, I'll hit them with a little anti-seize.) I should be able to get the front end buttoned up today/tomorrow and maybe fire her up this weekend. Still gotta flush the tank and deglaze/desludge it if need be.....I have yet to look down in there.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2011 09:07 PM #70
      Alright. New oil and filter, the brake rotor set screws are in after chasing the threads first. The transmission is refilled with Redline MTL (I'll drain and refill the tranny in a few thousand miles again as the old oil was nasty and pasty black) and the speedo cable is installed with a brand new gasket. I replaced the one bad high beam and all is well with the lighting. The pass side cv shield is bolted to the engine block. The final drive seals are installed. Tomorrow I'll probably install the axles and maybe the poly control arm bushings. I need to torque the crank bolt as it's just snug in there right now. Then it's time to install the belts and then the hoses whenever they get here...
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      08-20-2011 12:23 PM #71
      All the new silicone hoses are on (if you decide to get some from Gee Bee, expect a long delay. Took about 4x longer than he said and he's not good at updates or customer service..hoses are decent, though, and should last forever). Axles are in with new cv bolts. New control arms are in with the new ball joints and new poly bushings. Engine is wired up. Exhaust needs some minor modification to fit right, no big deal. Front brakes are complete. Rear brakes still need to be done, a couple hours work. I need to tighten down the crank bolt correctly and tighten up all the v-belts. I'm heading out to see if the hardware store has the correct allen head bolts for the pulleys. After the crank bolt is tightened down and the intake nuts between upper & lower are installed, it should be good for a test fire. More later...and pics. I'm also waiting on my new driver seat to get here....it's a near new Recaro Expert M in black leather. I'm swapping in the good passenger side Rocco leather seat I have so it will 'match' the Recaro. Not sure how good the rear leathers I have are....we'll see about that later.
      Teaser:
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-21-2011 11:22 AM #72
      It's alive!!!!
      Took a while (probably a little sticky from sitting and needed to get fuel through the new filter), but she runs! Sounds horribly loud running nothing but the header right now, but that's easy to fix. So I still have a few things to do (finish replacing the wiring to the coolant level sensor, do the rear brakes, bleed the brakes, adjust the coils, etc.....), but she's on the way. Here are the few pics I just took of her after I rinsed her. Looks way better wet, rather than tornado pink.

Yes, I'll be sealing up those open solders once I find my shrink tubing or some tape.
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

Vehicles
      1 of everything and YES, none of them run :)
      08-21-2011 09:10 PM #73
      good work Petey!

Vehicles
      87 scirocco 1.8 16vt with gotech mfi, 2001 gti 1.8t
      08-22-2011 01:56 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by MetalMessiah666 View Post
      good work Petey!
      I should have gave you all my cis stuff that was laying around for this guy bob dur

Vehicles
      1 of everything and YES, none of them run :)
      08-22-2011 09:39 PM #75
      I'm sure Pete still has a nice little stash of parts that we don't know about.
      I still have the cis crap off my PL too.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast