Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Air in cooling system? (gurgling noises coming from coolant hose flange after engine shutoff)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Acura Legend (A), 04 Acura Integra GS (5spd), 02 Honda S2000 (6spd), 01 VW Jetta WE 1.8T (5spd)
      04-04-2011 11:42 PM #1
      Upon coming back home, I opened the hood and heard gurgling sounds coming from the coolant hose flange, as if someone was sucking something through a straw but there wasn't much liquid inside.

Now about 2 months ago I had the coolant hose flange replaced and the shop I used red colored coolant (definitely not G12). I know our coolant systems are self bleeding but I noticed my temp gauge going slightly past norma (180 F).

Could A) the coolant be gelling inside the engine and thus hindering the coolant flow or B) there is air in my system ?

Thanks

Vehicles
      GTI VR6 MK3
      04-05-2011 12:02 AM #2
      If there are air bubbles in the system, it would make this kind of noise AND periodically make the temperature needle go up. Either
      A) Flush your system and put new coolant in
      B) Turn your car and heat on, and top off the coolant as it is sucked in until it is full.
      Quote Originally Posted by aphythiate View Post
      I don't understand what you said. I'm guessing you did a "dump'n'go" minus the go.
      Quote Originally Posted by RayMkIIIvdub View Post
      where are the muffler bearings and is that something i can change myself

3. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Acura Legend (A), 04 Acura Integra GS (5spd), 02 Honda S2000 (6spd), 01 VW Jetta WE 1.8T (5spd)
      04-05-2011 09:24 AM #3
      For option 2, should I run the heat Full blast to get it all sucked in? Currently, when the car is cold, the coolant in the reservoir is about 1" above the normal line. Is it also possible that the water/coolant ratio might be off? The shop could have poured straight coolant into the reservoir.

Vehicles
      GTI VR6 MK3
      04-05-2011 12:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon718 View Post
      For option 2, should I run the heat Full blast to get it all sucked in? Currently, when the car is cold, the coolant in the reservoir is about 1" above the normal line. Is it also possible that the water/coolant ratio might be off? The shop could have poured straight coolant into the reservoir.
      Yes, full blast.

Unless it was far more antifreeze than water, I cannot see how that would be making the noise. I am not even sure if that would do it.

When the car is off, the coolant level will raise, so don't worry about it being above the line.
      Quote Originally Posted by aphythiate View Post
      I don't understand what you said. I'm guessing you did a "dump'n'go" minus the go.
      Quote Originally Posted by RayMkIIIvdub View Post
      where are the muffler bearings and is that something i can change myself

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-05-2011 03:10 PM #5
      If you have air bubbles stuck in your heater core you want to make sure your car is 100% level or even a little nose up. If an air bubble is stuck you may need to disconnect your upper radiator hose for a little while to release the air bubble, wait til fluid starts flowing, then push the upper radiator hose back on.

How do I know this? Because my car overheated on the freeway on the way to a ski trip and I had to make due. Make it work! I threw so much coolant and water into that car that trip. I had a coolant bottle with a cap that wouldn't hold pressure, a thermostat that would periodically get stuck, a coolant bottle that would leak out its overflow valve all the time, and no spare G12 in sight. Plus I was at ~8-10,000 feet. The only thing I had on my side was that it was around -15 degrees F which means my radiator was working awesome. Oh, and my fuse tray melted and my radiator fans wouldn't work. So if I dropped below 40 miles per hour I'd end up boiling off water and my engine temps would go up. Then I'd have to pull over, do the upper radiator trick, let out the steam, wait for the flow, cap it, refill the radiator res with more coolant, and go on my way. 6 hour (clear weather drive) turned into a 19 hour drive/ adventure from hell.

On the plus side, my destination had a nice VW shop that fixed everything up so my drive home was easy.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      02 A4
      04-05-2011 03:13 PM #6
      could possibly be the head gasket..... just sayin.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-05-2011 04:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by DanA4 View Post
      could possibly be the head gasket..... just sayin.
      I'd say that's the least likely cause. Check out the cooling bits first. Then go to more dour diagnosis.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      98 M3
      04-05-2011 04:52 PM #8
      Mine has always gurgled after shutdown. AFAIK my coolant system is in tip-top shape as well. I was under the assumption the sound was normal?

Maybe I hve air in there as well??? hrmmmmm

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2011 04:58 PM #9
      Groggery: Ouch 19 hrs? And you still have this car? Ugh i am starting to hate my VW.

Anyway, where should I disconnect the upper hose? From the radiator side?
      Last edited by Jon718; 04-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-05-2011 05:27 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon718 View Post
      Ouch 19 hrs? And you still have this car? Ugh i am starting to hate my VW.

anyway, where should I disconnect the upper hose? From the radiator side?
      There's a hose clamp to the direct left of the battery. Undo the hose clamp and slide it onto the rubber hose. Then slide the hose off. The hose is large, probably 1.25" diameter or so.

If there's an air bubble then steam will start shooting out of this hose. You better be wearing some leather gloves and long sleeves! Steam burns hurt! Then when the fluid starts flowing plug it back up.

After you get this fixed, I'd highly recommend you do a full coolant flush and then put in new G12 and the proper ratio of pre-mixed distilled water. :-) Get a clean start.
      My Build

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2011 08:40 PM #11
      Thanks for the tip! I think i'll just draining the coolant and start with new coolant. not liking the getting burned part.

Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      There's a hose clamp to the direct left of the battery. Undo the hose clamp and slide it onto the rubber hose. Then slide the hose off. The hose is large, probably 1.25" diameter or so.

If there's an air bubble then steam will start shooting out of this hose. You better be wearing some leather gloves and long sleeves! Steam burns hurt! Then when the fluid starts flowing plug it back up.

After you get this fixed, I'd highly recommend you do a full coolant flush and then put in new G12 and the proper ratio of pre-mixed distilled water. :-) Get a clean start.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2011 12:13 PM #12
      Just wanted to follow up, my friend replaced the timing belt and waterpump yesterday. He told me while doing so he managed to only drain about 1/2 the coolant. WHen he opened the drain tube at the bottom of the radiator only half came out.

I was reading online that to drain everything out you need to pull out the lower rad hose, is that true? What if the radiator was stuck? Wouldn't it keep all or some of the coolant inside the engine?
      Last edited by Jon718; 05-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.