Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 97 Jetta 2.0 won't start!!

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      97 golf 94 golf 97 Jetta 93 golf
      04-05-2011 11:25 AM #1
      I have a 1997 jetta 2.0 that has been sitting for about 6 months, I Placed a charged battery in it and the alarm sounded ..I was able to stop this with the rear trunk lid switch, after trying to start the engine with clutch pedal to the floor There was still nothing,I could hear clicking from the fuse box location .... I have just PB blasted the starter bolts after knocking the solenoid . I have used a test light and both the solenoid( blue wire) plug and the starter have power going to them. Does this mean it is possible that there is a immobilizer for Starter... would it still have power to the solenoid with a faulty ignition switch, The dash clock and mileage counter does not turn on until the key is on.
      *All starter motor and battery connects/ contacts are clean

2. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      04-05-2011 01:38 PM #2
      Make sure the transmission is in Neutral, then try touching a jumper wire between the small diameter wire terminal post on the starter, and the positive of the battery.

If the starter spins (it should), then the starter is not the problem. The problem is either the ignition switch (probably), or the wiring between the clutch switch, the ignition switch, and the starter motor.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      97 golf 94 golf 97 Jetta 93 golf
      04-05-2011 06:35 PM #3
      I was able to hear the starter turn with the jumped (+)wire , It sounded like it was stripped out ??
      was this method just going to make the starter spin ... not the engine right??? I am going to remove it and check out the teeth and flywheel. Thanks

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      04-05-2011 07:20 PM #4
      If the starter is good, it should have turned when you jumpered it to the battery. The engine should have turned also, but not started.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      97 golf 2.0 95 gti vr6
      04-07-2011 07:06 PM #5
      http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...armhelp2.htm#6

THis is a link on how to bypass the kill-start. however i did this and it did not permanently solve my issue.

My post is a few below yours, 97 golf 2.0 wont start

has a list of things i've done.