Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 96 Golf Vehicle Speed Sensor location and/or diagnostic?

1. 04-07-2011 06:36 PM #1
      I just got the vehicle out of the shop for a P0341 code that was kicking me in the head. That got taken care of, timing needed to be adjusted slightly. Driving it home I realized my speedometer wasn't working. Took it back to the shop and they gave it a look over. Didn't see anything wrong with it so I figured maybe the Drive Cycle has to calibrate everything. Check engine light is on with a P0501 (Speed Sensor (which is understandable)) checked the voltage between terminal 1 and 3 with ignition on and I'm reading 11.3V... which it seems it needs to be at 11.5V or greater. I want to check for resistance and voltage for every possible troubleshooting component but I don't have a VAG or VAG-COM, just a DVOM and a test light. Can anyone run me through what to do? I haven't physically inspected the VSS gear itself but will do so.

The VSS is on the drivetrain toward the back of the engine below where the pipes head into the heater coil correct?

thanks for any help.

Vehicles
      1984 VW rabbit GTi, 1998 BMW 328is, 2001 VW jetta 1.8t, 1998 VW Golf gl, 1995 jetta gl(R.I.P)
      04-12-2011 09:17 AM #2
      im going to go ahead and assume you have a 2.0 ABA with an 020 5-speed transmission, if this is true then the VSS is on the top of the transmission, its the sensor with the 3 wire connector

hope this helps
      "A car you personally made cool is cooler than a cool car you bought to make you look cool"
      i boobies
      "silly 20v people what do they do with all that fanciness when an 8v is the best thing since sliced bread and boobs"

Vehicles
      1984 VW rabbit GTi, 1998 BMW 328is, 2001 VW jetta 1.8t, 1998 VW Golf gl, 1995 jetta gl(R.I.P)
      04-12-2011 09:19 AM #3
      if you click the picture it goes to my FLIKR page and you can see a bigger picture if needed
      "A car you personally made cool is cooler than a cool car you bought to make you look cool"
      i boobies
      "silly 20v people what do they do with all that fanciness when an 8v is the best thing since sliced bread and boobs"