Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dimensions of vr6

1. Member
      Vehicles
      04 GTi VR6
      04-08-2011 02:02 PM #1
      anyone have the outside dimensions of a vr6? im thinking of doing a swap and want to see if it will fit. thanks

Vehicles
      02.5 24v GLI, 05.5 Jetta 2.5l
      04-08-2011 02:43 PM #2
      BIG!!

I do not... what are you planning on putting a 24v in?
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04 GTi VR6
      04-08-2011 07:15 PM #3
      im thinking of putting an older 12v vr in a '62 International Scout, but no one in the 12v forum can tell me so i figured the 24v one is about the same size. i just want to so if it would even fit

4. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta 24v VR(in progress) 05 Passat TDI(daily) 03 Honda CBR954
      04-08-2011 09:33 PM #4
      Your info says that you have a 24v. Why don't you measure it yourself?

Vehicles
      Current - 04 VR6 GLI. History - 01 Jetta GLS traded for 04.5 A4 Avant traded for 04 R32(sold)
      04-08-2011 09:59 PM #5
      I have a 3.2 VR on an engine stand. Correct me if Im wrong,but i believe its the internal dimensions that increase displacement. So, about 30" wide by 27" high. Counting the engine side mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04 GTi VR6
      04-09-2011 12:39 PM #6
      JayJetta, thank you and ya the only difference is the internal bore and stroke, can you also give my the length of the motor? from accessory belt side to flywheel side. Thank you. Cpinde, you want to try to measure the motor in the car? the motor is really tight in the engine bay, so i figured i'd ask if anyone has one outside of their car.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-09-2011 03:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 04VR View Post
      JayJetta, thank you and ya the only difference is the internal bore and stroke, can you also give my the length of the motor? from accessory belt side to flywheel side. Thank you. Cpinde, you want to try to measure the motor in the car? the motor is really tight in the engine bay, so i figured i'd ask if anyone has one outside of their car.
      You don't need exact measurements so being in the car is easy. If you can't measure your engine with it in the car then you probablyvshouldn't attempt this type of swap. And the engine size is not the true size you need. You need the overall size with intake, exhaust mani, tranny, etc. Unless you aren't going to use the engine. A long block on an engine stand won't give you those measurements.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      04-09-2011 06:43 PM #8
      The 12v, 2.8L 24v, and 3.2L 24v all have the same external dimensions, and even the exact same mounting points.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04 GTi VR6
      04-12-2011 12:59 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by cpinde View Post
      You don't need exact measurements so being in the car is easy. If you can't measure your engine with it in the car then you probablyvshouldn't attempt this type of swap. And the engine size is not the true size you need. You need the overall size with intake, exhaust mani, tranny, etc. Unless you aren't going to use the engine. A long block on an engine stand won't give you those measurements.
      your saying i dont need exact measurements to make sure a motor from one car will fit in another? why would i need to know the size with the intake, exhaust and trans? you can change the exhaust and intake and im not using the trans. do you even know what a international scout is?

Vehicles
      2004 24v GTI (sold), 2004 Subaru Outback (hooptie)
      04-12-2011 06:25 PM #10
      your saying i dont need exact measurements to make sure a motor from one car will fit in another? why would i need to know the size with the intake, exhaust and trans? you can change the exhaust and intake and im not using the trans. do you even know what a international scout is?
      thats where the blinker fluid goes right? http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6
      they're out of stock, anyone else know where i can get some

sorry for the trolling, but this is getting to be a little like the mkIV forums, & i believe PhReE answered the thread question
      Quote Originally Posted by Zmacs View Post
      More than you can afford, pal. Volkswagen.

EuroAddiction.net

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2011 09:46 AM #11
      I'm bored so I'll play.

If I remember what a Scout is it's like a cross between a Jeep CJ and a small pick-up truck. What a Scout is doesn't matter!! Seriously it doesn't. It's not a MKIII or MKIV VW Jetta/Golf so it's going to take work to make it work.

You don't need exact measurements until you are actually doing the fab work, at which time you'd be not to have the engine on an engine stand right beside you!! At this point all you need is close numbers that are a little bigger then they are. VW jammed a transverse 6 cyl in between the strut towers on a barely mid-size car. The intake and exhaust mani's are probably about as compact as you can get because of the lack of real estate under the hood. So you should use the total measurements with intake and exahaust mani to figure if it'll fit. But you really don't need to be that worried about the intake and exhaust mani's with mounting the engine longitudinally. Since the Scout is RWD you are going to mount the engine longitudinally, right? If you use something like a T5 tranny, you really need to only worry about the crank pulley to flywheel measurement to make sure it fits the Scout "front to back". HPA has already done TDI's in Jeeps so you might want to check them out to see what they have as an bell housing adapter.

As far as measuring the engine in the car it's easy if you think about it. And honestly if your brain isn't wired to figure that out then you're going to be in trouble when you attempt this conversion. All you need to do is measure from the oil pan to the floor/ground. Then stick a tape measure on the passenger side down to the floor/ground and subtract the first number and there you go. As for the "width", which will become your length, just measure across the top of the valve cover and add maybe 2 1/2" for the pulleys. It's not that hard.

I hate to sound like a d!ck but if you can't figure out how to measure the engine in your car then you might want to rethink this swap. If you are getting someone else to do the swap then they'll want to look at the measurements anyway. I've been doing frankenswaps for over 20yrs. I got my first car when I was 13yo. It was a '61 Ford P/U that I dropped a Chevy 350 bored 30 over with a C6 tranny, I had a TON of fab work I did. I have swapped a B18 into a Nissan Pulsar, I had access to both for free and wanted a challenge. I'm in the middle of doing some fun VW stuff and you'll see the thread in a month or so.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      04-13-2011 07:15 PM #12
      ^^^ better be pictures in that thread or i call BS

lol
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status