Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: Bluetooth problem?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Dayton, Ohio
      Posts
      139
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-12-2011 07:25 AM #1
      Sometimes when I get in my 2011 GTI the bluetooth-paired phone does not show on the MFD. I don't know how to bring it up, so I turn off the phone bluetooth, turn it back on, then it appears again on the MFD. Anyone know why this happens?

    2. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      796
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      04-12-2011 07:38 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by twstand View Post
      Sometimes when I get in my 2011 GTI the bluetooth-paired phone does not show on the MFD. I don't know how to bring it up, so I turn off the phone bluetooth, turn it back on, then it appears again on the MFD. Anyone know why this happens?
      wife's car was doing that with her motorola a lot, once she got a new BB it all went away and now it connects everytime. I think the issue might be with your phone and not the car.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Dayton, Ohio
      Posts
      139
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-12-2011 11:51 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      wife's car was doing that with her motorola a lot, once she got a new BB it all went away and now it connects everytime. I think the issue might be with your phone and not the car.
      I'm wondering the same thing. I've got an old LG phone and was actually surprised it worked with bluetooth at all. I've been holding off on getting a new phone to see when the iPhone 5 is released, but rumors are that it may delay until Fall. So maybe I should get an iPhone 4 now.

      One thing I noticed... the LG phone is paired, but I can't see it on the MFD. The MFD shows the driving stuff (speed, mpg, etc). If I dial a number on the phone itself, the bluetooth kicks in. I can end call and all that. But the phone control options are not visible on the MFD. I have to repair the phone to get them visible again. Is this what your wife experienced before her new BB?

    4. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      796
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      04-12-2011 04:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by twstand View Post
      I'm wondering the same thing. I've got an old LG phone and was actually surprised it worked with bluetooth at all. I've been holding off on getting a new phone to see when the iPhone 5 is released, but rumors are that it may delay until Fall. So maybe I should get an iPhone 4 now.

      One thing I noticed... the LG phone is paired, but I can't see it on the MFD. The MFD shows the driving stuff (speed, mpg, etc). If I dial a number on the phone itself, the bluetooth kicks in. I can end call and all that. But the phone control options are not visible on the MFD. I have to repair the phone to get them visible again. Is this what your wife experienced before her new BB?

      She has the 2010 Golf with the 9W2 so she never had any options in the dash with either of the phones.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Dayton, Ohio
      Posts
      139
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-13-2011 03:27 PM #5
      Well, let me restate my problem differently. I bet other GTI/Golf owners without the multi-function steering wheel have the same problem.

      There are two modes that can be shown on the MFD. Mode 1 is the bluetooth menu, the top screen showing the mobile phone carrier name and signal strength. Mode 2 shows the driving stats (mph, mpg, trip length, etc). If I am in one mode, how do I switch to the other?

      For instance, I get in my car and the phone pairs with the car. The MFD enters mode 1 and I see bluetooth stuff. How do I switch to the driving stats? Right now the only way I can do it is to turn off the phone or unpair it. Then it switches to driving stats.

      Or, I get in the car, and the car enters mode 2, showing driving stats. The phone is paired, but I'm not seeing the bluetooth stuff and want to bring up the address book. How do I switch from driving stats (mode 2) to blue tooth (mode 1)? The only way I know to do it is to turn off bluetooth on the phone, then turn it back on. Then the MFD switches to the bluetooth, mode 1, after the phone pairs up anew.

      I read the manual and don't see any mention of switching modes.

      Maybe my problem is that I do not have the multi-function steering wheel. I have to control the MFD using buttons on the wiper arm, and perhaps there is a missing button.

      Thanks

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      5,221
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      04-13-2011 04:14 PM #6
      Using the wiper stalk control, hold the "down" selector in either mode will bring you to the "main menu". Which should have a list of stuff like MFI, Audio, Phone, setting...etc. Select to anyone of those and click the confirm button under the stalk should bring you into those separate function. If you want to go to the phone screen you just select phone and it will bring you to that screen.



      Read the manual, or better yet, watch one of Paul the VW guy video...

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Dayton, Ohio
      Posts
      139
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-13-2011 04:22 PM #7
      GREAT! Can't wait to try. I read the manual(s) and didn't see this mentioned, but maybe I was just tired. In my opinion, the manuals are really confusing on instrumentation, and I'm a PhD who works with tech daily.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      5,221
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      04-13-2011 04:32 PM #8
      I can agree with that, I sat in my car with the manual in hand the first night after delivery just trying stuff out....

      FYI the only real issue I have with BT is that for the streaming audio, your phone has to be playing first before the car will start getting the music in the speakers, in my case with the non-touch screen system hitting the aux button without the phone playing BT option won't show in that menu on the head unit. And you can't control the phone music with the stereo control(I am using an Android phone for what its worth), you have to control your phone directly.
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 04-13-2011 at 04:36 PM.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Dayton, Ohio
      Posts
      139
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-13-2011 09:51 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Using the wiper stalk control, hold the "down" selector in either mode will bring you to the "main menu". Which should have a list of stuff like MFI, Audio, Phone, setting...etc. Select to anyone of those and click the confirm button under the stalk should bring you into those separate function. If you want to go to the phone screen you just select phone and it will bring you to that screen.



      Read the manual, or better yet, watch one of Paul the VW guy video...
      Man, you made my day! Your tip worked perfectly.

      Just got an iPhone. Haven't tried streaming audio over blue tooth yet.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •