Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The build...the blog...the boosted...

Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, MK6 R, MK2 Jetta Coupe VR
      04-14-2011 01:53 PM #1
      So I figured this would be a fun place to share the story of the build of my DD and "demo" car for my soon to launch e-commerce (will remain un-named until I'm an advertiser here as to not piss off the mods)

A few months ago, I sold my E36 M3 in favor of a 07 GTI (2.0T FSI).

I've been a German car guy for years, modifying everything I own starting well before I had my my first MK3 Jetta around 99. I've had a couple M3s and a WRX, but ultimately I'm back in the scene with a VW.

I've been running a successful e-commerce site for years now. A few VW buds, and especially my fiancee, mentioned that I should start up a store focused around the community I love and that I am a part of again.

I took a chunk of $ from my current biz and I am re-investing it into my new store, mainly with some modifications to my own "demo" car, my daily-driven 07 GTI. I'll be sharing those modifications with you guys here, and I've been recording all the installs as I go along to help with DIY posts here, as well as the store.

Hope you guys enjoy my "blog" of sorts here. Feel free to chime in with any questions or to share your thoughts.
      Last edited by el_bobbo; 04-14-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Vehicles
      04-14-2011 01:54 PM #2
      So to start off with, I picked up the 07 GTI right from VW as a CPO. It drives great right out of the box, but that's never really good enough :-)

After a little bit of research here on the Vortex, I opted to replace the factory engine cover/horribly restrictive airbox, and chose BSH as the source for my new intake components. They are another company that started from scratch and still run everything in house.

The first order was for:
      BSH FSI True Seal Intake
      BSH FSI Heatshield
      BSH FSI DV Kit for TS Intake
      BSH FSI Integrated Throttle Pipe
      BSH FSI PCV Fix
      New South Performance MKV 2.0T Vent Mount Boost Gauge w/ BSH Billet Boost Tap

Obviously giddy as a school girl, I installed the BSH FSI True Seal Intake as soon as it arrived last weekend. The install itself was pretty straightforward, although it took some head-scratching to get the rear-engine cover mounting screws/brackets off. (Video coming soon)

The sound of the BSH True Seal Intake is only slightly louder than the stock airbox system. With the metal piping and cone filter, you can hear the turbo and DV a little more, which is always a plus.

The next piece I opted to install was the vent-mounted New South Performance Boost gauge, so I could get an idea of where the factory system registered on a daily basis before we got into the build. I chose the vent-mount for the cleaner-looking install, versus a pod-based setup. To each his own. (video coming soon)

To get this gauge to work with my near-stock system, I opted to use a BSH Billet Boost tap, instead of screwing and tapping into my intake manifold like some installs. This was also a super-easy install, sitting right in between the intake manifold and related PCV hosing. (video coming soon)

I can see now that all day long, every day, the stock 2.0T FSI seems about 10-12psi stable (dropping 5-8psi at high-rpm) and pulls nicely.

The next step in the build is to free up some of the back-pressure with a new exhaust system. The stock MKV GTI exhaust looks to be a little less than 2.5", and without running a big-turbo, high-pressure system, 2.5" seems more than satisfactory.

I've opted to go with the stainless Techtonics Tuning 2.5" catted downpipe and matching 2.5" stainless cat-back system with a single Borla muffler and twin tip. (video coming soon)

The suspension mounts underneath the car make a great spot for jack stands. This ended up being quite useful during the install.

The Techtonics downpipe is considerably less restrictive than the factory DP and mated to the 2.5" Borla exhaust system, frees up some noticeable horsepower and an awesomely sporty sound.

To suit more of the aesthetically anal person inside of me, I've gone ahead and also removed the oil filler expansion, since I don't plan on re-installing any engine covers. Be careful when you remove this...plastic shards in the engine are not conducive to performance :-P

I stuff the filler neck with some non-pilling shop rags, and gave the neck a few whacks with a rubber mallet. This is attached with some glue that just needs to be broken free.

The next step in the build process was to install the BSH PCV Fix. This was a pretty simple install as well, the worst part was actually getting off the old PCV hose. The factory PCV system on the 2.0TFSI left something to be desired, especially when you start modifying the motor. Where I've already installed the BSH Boost Tap, this saved me one step as the block-off mounted right to it. (video coming soon)

I've gone ahead and scheduled an appointment for Monday for a Stage 2 APR Flash. Since the business hasn't yet had the opportunity to get an agreement setup with APR, I've scheduled the tune with Banchworks out of RI.

Since the new wheels and tires showed up from TireRack, I went ahead and mounted them up as well. :-)

I've chosen the new Sparco Assetto Gara (manufactured by OZ) as I think they look uber sexy and the black wheels will make a nice contrast against the Reflex Silver. I've opted for 17s, as New England is horrible for 18s on a DD.

And yes I know.... NEED MOAR LOW The Konis/Vogtlands should take care of that in a couple weeks.

The next logical step in the build is something to manage all these fun parts I'm adding to the car. Thanks to the fellas over at Banchworks , I am now running the APR Stage II+ @93 Octane.

People aren't kidding when they tell you that this is a game-changer folks. All these mods have felt great so far, added some liveliness and so forth, but this APR reflash is the icing on the cake that made all these parts so far worthwhile.

Now that I'm pushing some more pressure, it made sense to clean up as much airflow as possible, so the next install was the BSH FSI Throttle Pipe. (video coming soon)

It actually seems like I can hear the turbo spooling a little more and quicker. I opted to keep the noisepipe hookup, as I'll be doing the BSH DV relocation kit w/ Forge DV next.

Tbh, this install was a little bit of a pain in the butt. Getting the factory throttle pipe out was a wild pain. Tip #1, disconnect the noisepipe hookup from the noisepipe itself, not the throttle pipe, as it'll be easier to swap later. Tip #2, when installing the new throttle pipe, install the coupler on the throttle body first, then squeeze the pipe up from under the car and get the alignment setup from there.

I also lifted the car up again and did some tweaking with the exhaust clamp setup, as I had some contact rattling and a weird exhaust tip angle (as previously pointed out), so I went ahead and cleaned that up as well.

Once the weather cleared up, I opted to install the BSH Bulletproof DV kit next (with the Forge recirc. DV). The install was pretty straightforward, and reused almost all of the factory noisepipe hardware (video coming soon)

Took it for a little run afterward and ran some VAGCOM logs (rpm/boost) to see what she's doing after the APR Stage 2+ and the rest of the mods. I'm seeing some pretty decent mbar #s, but I'm going to graph it out before posting it up to the thread.

Here's the log (graphed from csv, thanks to my lovely lady):

Everything seems up to par, but I think I might do a few more logging runs, maybe through ALL the gears.

Next install we're looking at is a set of Vogtland 40mm drop springs along with Koni Yellows (adjustable)

After what felt like a couple of fuel cuts at WOT the other day, I decided to a few log runs with Boost/RPM/Fuel pressure to see what was going on.

Sadly, as you can see by the following graph, the stock HPFP can't handle the work the APR Stage II+ is throwing at it.

Now APR states pretty clearly that an upgraded FSI HPFP is needed for the Stage II+ and they were 100% correct.

< follow link to APR for more details.

I've already ordered an AutoTech FSI HPFP rebuild kit as I haven't been able to find any gripes about it (versus KMD for example) and the APR HPFP is a little out of the budget. Should hopefully see that in a week or 2 and we'll continue with the installs.

The Koni/Vogtland setup is now installed and it looks great.

While I have been doing all of the installations myself thus far and recording them all for some DIYs, I did not have many of the tools needed to properly install this suspension.

I opted to call up the guys over at Banchworks again for the install. Quick install and great price.

Before:

After:

I know there will be some of you out there who are going to say MOAR LOW, but I don't care. This car is still a DD and where I went static, ~40mm is a sufficient drop for good handling.

Now I just need to wait for the AutoTech HPFP rebuild kits to come back in stock, since they are nowhere to be found and I'll be all set to make a few dyno runs and a trip to the drag strip for fun

AutoTech HPFP kit finally came back in stock and just got delivered. Now I gotta plan some time for the rebuild.

Also swapped out my "red" tails for oem/votex smoked tails.

I Fiiiinally got around to installing the AutoTech 2.0T HPFP rebuild kit. Install was pretty smooth, although I had a few bolts that didn't play along nicely.

I plan on getting in a few logging runs tomorrow so I compare the before/after VAGCOM graphs and make sure the HPFP is performing adequately.

I also installed some R-Line textured mirror caps and a full Euro GTI front lip to complete the package for now.

--
      So I finally took the GTI to the drag strip last weekend to get in some runs and see if all these parts are doing anything for my numbers.

First run down the track...I forgot to disengage the traction control and it was horrible. Ran a 14.8@93mph lol. . I let my wife take a run down, since I would have one more run for qualifying, and about 3/4 of the way down the track, a cloud of white smoke blew out from underneath the car :-(

The coolant sensor flange on the drivers side of the block cracked and blew out, draining all of the coolant out of the block. I ordered the replacement parts and attempt to repair it this weekend, only to find the VW gave me the wrong part(s). I called them up to gripe, and come to find out...it's covered under my CPO warranty :-P

So needless to say, the car is at the dealer getting repaired.

While doing the flange repair, I installed a euro Audi S3 shifter (from this guy)and it's pretty tight. Haven't been able to drive it yet, given the circumstances but the feel is snug and the install took minutes.

Hoping to feel a difference when I get it back from the dealer and take it back to the track in 2 weeks.

So I picked her back up from the dealer last week after the water pump started leaking. Thankfully I still had 1800 miles left on my CPO warranty so they covered the service. With about 73k on the clock, I opted to have VW do the Timing belt service for me (at a discount, since they had to rip half the stuff off to get to the pump.)

I also decided to swap out my BSH PCV Fix plate in favor of a Forge Catch Can (Thanks IDRIVEFAST). Scored a nice deal and I'm hoping it'll help with all the excess vapors that keep clogging up my Forge DV. (mentioned in later posts in the thread)

Super easy install and it should help out quite a bit. I'm thinking about dropping her off to have someone (maybe even the dealer) walnut blast the intake valves, etc and getting on a good SeaFoam regiment. the Catch Can should help out the process even more after that.

Stayed tuned for more...
      Last edited by el_bobbo; 04-07-2012 at 03:06 PM.
      My MKV APR Stg II+ build thread: The build...the blog...the boosted...
      MK4 Jetta gone, MK2 VR6 in the works :-)

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009/Jetta/SE
      04-14-2011 01:55 PM #3
      to see if this is worth a damn

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      04-14-2011 02:03 PM #4
      All this hype with no pictures?

Vehicles
      84' Mercedes 300SD - 87' BMW 535iS
      04-14-2011 02:30 PM #6
      IG @tbmikeeee

I VAG-COM IN SOUTH FLORIDA & ORLANDO PM ME

Vehicles
      B6 Passat 2.0T, SOLD '07 Rabbit, RIP mkIV Jetta
      04-14-2011 02:36 PM #7
      In for more updates....

Vehicles
      04-14-2011 03:59 PM #8
      Updated with the TT exhaust system. New wheels going on this weekend, as well as BSH PCV Fix.

BSH Bulletproof DV kit and BSH Throttle pipe to be installed in the next 2 weeks, and the 40mm Vogtland/Koni suspension kit will be here in 3 weeks.

APR Stage 2 flash scheduled for next week!

Vehicles
      06 GTI, 04 Jetta (Gone)
      04-14-2011 04:51 PM #9
      Is it just me or are those tips looking a bit close to the plastic...

Anyway, for the work.
      Tomas Sport Tuning + Bag Riders = BAGS & BBS RS

Vehicles
      04-16-2011 03:59 PM #10
      Installed the BSH PCV Fix, scheduled the APR flash for Monday and mounted up the new Sparco Assetto Gara wheels. I've opted for 17s, as New England is horrible for 18s on a DD.

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 08:58 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoctor View Post
      Is it just me or are those tips looking a bit close to the plastic...

Anyway, for the work.
      Yeah, I had a little twist in the sleeve clamp between the Borla and rear section. Swapping out the sleeve for a U-bolt to take care of that.

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 09:04 AM #12
      Got a chance to go to the NE Dust Off 2011 show, so I opted to show my support and parked the GTI on the track.

Wish to hell I had that suspension though... my "4x4" GTI looked silly next to the clean Rabbit w/ textured wheels and TDI Cup w/ Rotiforms.

Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      04-18-2011 09:30 AM #13
      looks good

Vehicles
      1999 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-18-2011 12:00 PM #14
      in for the bsh pcv fix video
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Wheel gap on VW's is much like a girl. If you can fit three fingers than it's not a keeper.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      04-18-2011 12:26 PM #15
      you need coils.. NOW

Vehicles
      '02 GTI 1.8t
      04-18-2011 02:42 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoctor View Post
      for the work.
      ( . Y . ) boost gets you boobies naaaa'meaan

Instagram: itznj

PSU GTG: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rsity-Park-GTG

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 02:45 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      you need coils.. NOW
      LOL, right?

I'm actually opting for a 40mm Koni/Vogtland Kit.

I ran a similar setup on the M3 (although only ~30mm) and was VERY pleased. This is still a DD, so >40mm is pushing it up here, especially once I start moving towards aesthetics.

17. Banned
      04-18-2011 02:48 PM #18

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      04-18-2011 02:54 PM #19
      looks good. keep up the good work.

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 11:51 PM #20
      APR Stage II+ re-flash tonight @93 Octane. I can't wait to open her up and feel how well these parts are Really working together...
      Last edited by el_bobbo; 04-26-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta, 1968 Barracuda, 1997 VW Passat VR6
      04-19-2011 12:00 AM #21
      Looks good dude, Wish I could have gone to the dustoff. Only 3 more weeks of houston, and I am driving as far away from the durrty south as possible. You get any good looks at the dustoff?

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 12:04 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by VWMoparGuy425 View Post
      Looks good dude, Wish I could have gone to the dustoff. Only 3 more weeks of houston, and I am driving as far away from the durrty south as possible. You get any good looks at the dustoff?
      Not really to be honest, there is some serious flash at these shows, and my 4x4 stance turned alot of folks off (which is fine). I did get quite a few looks and props for the wheels, as they aren't "typical" for the euro crowd :-P

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 12:07 AM #23
      Well thats good to hear dude. It will look really nice when it is lowered

Vehicles
      '08|Wolfsburg|Static|2.0T|MT
      04-19-2011 12:12 AM #24
      plan on going stage 3?
      Quote Originally Posted by cbs_24 View Post
      We don't want to see pictures of your poverty Jetta in this thread. Why is it so hard to understand?

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 10:25 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by s t a y g o l d View Post
      plan on going stage 3?
      The plan is to launch the e-commerce and work with the car as it sits (after the suspension install and remaining parts)

Then, shortly down the road, look at Stg 3 w/ k04 perhaps?

The car is a DD, so we're looking at building it as tightly and strongly as possible, and still drive it :-)

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 10:58 AM #26
      How high of boost are you looking to run?

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 11:04 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by VWMoparGuy425 View Post
      How high of boost are you looking to run?
      To be honest, I'll be pretty happy with the ~20psi I'm seeing now from the Stage 2 setup for awhile.

Vehicles
      04-26-2011 09:28 AM #28
      Installed the BSH Throttle pipe and fixed the awkward exhaust position (as pointed out by DoctorDoctor)

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 06:55 PM #29
      It's been about a week since I had a chance to do any work (thanks to the crappy weather up here in New England recently)

Got out there today and installed the BSH Bulletproof DV kit w/ the Forge recirc DV.

Pretty easy install, more preventative than anything (my stock DV was in perfect shape)

Suspension should be here in a few days, so I'm hoping to get that installed in the next week or two.
      Last edited by el_bobbo; 05-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Vehicles
      4.2, 3.2, 3.4
      05-01-2011 07:53 PM #30
      Next aesthetic mod has to be to remove that pinstripe and perhaps a holeless grille.
      2007 Audi RS4 l 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 l 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 08:03 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by .:1of1500:. View Post
      Next aesthetic mod has to be to remove that pinstripe
      Been thinking about the best way to do it tbh :-)

Quote Originally Posted by .:1of1500:. View Post
      and perhaps a holeless grille.
      eh?

Vehicles
      2008 GTI FSI DSG, 1984 8v Scirocco (SOLD)
      05-01-2011 08:15 PM #32
      Tornado Red 08' GTI FSI DSG >>>>>FOR SALE>>>>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2#post76479622

Vehicles
      84' Mercedes 300SD - 87' BMW 535iS
      05-01-2011 08:31 PM #33
      nice progress.
      IG @tbmikeeee

I VAG-COM IN SOUTH FLORIDA & ORLANDO PM ME

Vehicles
      P51 Mustang
      05-01-2011 08:41 PM #34
      Wow. lotsa nice BSH products Also I like the wheels.
      Paint it black and take it back.
      Shawn's Speed Shop

Vehicles
      05-02-2011 09:33 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by germanbycar View Post
      Wow. lotsa nice BSH products Also I like the wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfsburg__gli View Post
      nice progress.
      Thanks. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast