Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I Need 1.8 8v Timing Mark Help

1. 04-21-2011 11:50 AM #1
      I was having some driveability problems with my rabbit and I'm checking to make sure that the timing belt hasn't jumped or been installed improperly by previous owner. Alldata, says to line the valve pulley up with a flimsey piece of sheet metal via a mark on the backside of the pulley itself; and the crank(with accessory pulley installed)mark to be lined up with the intermediate shaft pulley mark. Now my problem is that this piece of sheet metal looks a bit off, which in turn could put the time a whole tooth off. Not to mention that the lining up the marks via crank and intermediate shaft seems like a total pain due to lack of visibility. Does anyone have a more accurate way of checking this? I noticed a few marks on the front side of the timing pulleys that Alldata didn't even mention.

I searched around, I couldnt find anything on timing the 8v. Just the 1.8T's.

Appreciate guys!

Vehicles
      '81 2.0 Rabbit, '87 1.8 carbed Cabby, '80 350 Rat Rod Caddy
      04-21-2011 11:58 AM #2
      There is a mark on the back of the cam gear that you want to line up with the head. Take the cap off the distributor and there is a mark on there that you want to point the rotor to. Then depending on if you have a manual or automatic, there is a tooth that lines up on the top of the bell housing. With an auto, you can see it way better.

Here's some info for ya.

http://mikegabriel.net/vw/badhabitrabbit/timing.html

GL

3. 04-21-2011 12:11 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mk1daily View Post
      There is a mark on the back of the cam gear that you want to line up with the head. Take the cap off the distributor and there is a mark on there that you want to point the rotor to. Then depending on if you have a manual or automatic, there is a tooth that lines up on the top of the bell housing. With an auto, you can see it way better.

Here's some info for ya.

http://mikegabriel.net/vw/badhabitrabbit/timing.html

GL
      The mark on the cam gear on the front or back? Where is the mark on the head? What does the mark on the distributor look like? The car is a manual trans and I have the window, which mark? The large or the small? Thank you sooo much!

4. 04-21-2011 01:24 PM #4
      All of these photos were taken back to back, no adjustments were done besides distributor, which is no big deal. Does this all look correct? Take special care to note the current position of the flywheel, I want to make sure all is well. Thanks! Link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6167737...7626546639358/
      Last edited by RyanBabros; 04-21-2011 at 01:33 PM.

5. 04-21-2011 02:09 PM #5
      Bump.

At your mothers office, on her desk.....shes a dirty dirty girl.
      Vehicles
      4 rings and a pickup
      04-21-2011 03:36 PM #6
      The mark on the engine side of the cam gear lines up with the top edge of the head (surface where the valve cover sits.) the mark will be a round dot usually.

The intermediate shaft is timed by the rotor pointing at the closest cylinder i think. It could be the farthest too cant remember. Im sure someone will chime in its been a while. Im sure theres prob a mark u can use but i nvr have and its always worked just fine.

Then the crank lines up by the mark on the fly wheel U should be able to see the mark through the window at the top of the bell Housing. Toward the lower side of the bell housing window is the arrow u line the mark with. This is the tdc mark. Be careful though as u want the first mark not the second if i remember right as the 2nd is the 8 deg mark if i remember right.

Plus u cant screw an 8v up so dont worry if your not right on the first time. Its a non interferance motor. Just losen your t belt and adjust what evers off.
      Quote Originally Posted by xrise3600 View Post
      I am tire stupid, I got a set of 13"x5.5" wheels. I want to get a stretched look, .

7. 04-21-2011 03:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by RyanBabros View Post
      All of these photos were taken back to back, no adjustments were done besides distributor, which is no big deal. Does this all look correct? Take special care to note the current position of the flywheel, I want to make sure all is well. Thanks! Link below:

It all looks perfect to me.

You have located the TDC dimple in the flywheel correctly. The diamond indentation to the left of it is 6 degrees BTDC.

Glad you found the timing mark on the cam sprocket, I drove myself crazy one time by not being able to find it. You have the notch, some have a round dimple. Only the round dimple gets shown in the Bentley and Haynes versions that I have. The notch lines up with the edge of the valve cover or slightly below it.

Crazy stuff.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 04-21-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Vehicles
      04-21-2011 04:40 PM #8

You got it.

Just remember, if you can't get it to run right, turn the distributor a counter-clockwise until it catches and idles.

Fixed.
      Last edited by mk1daily; 04-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.

9. 04-21-2011 04:50 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mk1daily View Post
      You got it.

Just remember, if you can't get it to run right, turn the rotor a counter-clockwise until it catches and idles.
      What do you mean turn the rotor? Do you mean distributor?

Vehicles
      04-21-2011 04:54 PM #10
      What do you mean turn the rotor? Do you mean distributor?
      That's exactly what I meant haha

11. 04-22-2011 07:46 AM #11
      I see what you mean now. Make sure I compensate for that slight difference.
      Last edited by RyanBabros; 04-22-2011 at 07:51 AM.