Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 97 VR6 AAA Passat Kombi Valve P4011 code

1. 04-23-2011 09:39 AM #1
      This post as far as I know is only for the 97 vw passat wolfsburg edit, AAA engine, VR6 GLX Automatic Trans. Just a heads up on the replacement of the Kombi valve located snugly under the maniflold on the front of the vr6 engine. After alot of reasearch and suggestion on just how to get the Kombi valve off to replae the vacuum lines and put a new kombi valve back on , it has been suggested that you have toeverything from takeing off everything from the front bumper all the way down to removing the upper manifold just to get to the valve. Well, I'm here to tell you that you don't have to do ANY of that which other forums suggest. You do have to start with alot of patients because that is what will make this job a success or failure. If you use a swivel socket and an extension with a little of masking tape to stiffen the swivel up just perfectly and have small enough hands and a good light you can actually get to the one star headed bolt holding the kombi vale on. Once you get that bolt out, you give the valve a little twist and out she comes. Now, since you only want to do this job once, go order yourself some HI TEMP vacuum line from Napa. It runs about $11 for 6 feet of it but it is rated to withstand temps up to 400 degrees. While your into it, just go ahead and replace any fabric covered vacuum lines with the other 5 feet of the orange hi temp line because you will eventually have to replace it as well. The fact that kombi valve usually burns up is because of the rotted vac lines.
      The function of the kombi valve is to keep the car in closed loop upon starting your car. once the car starts, the Secondary Air injection pump kicks in for about a minute or two allowing fresh air to be introduced into the exhaust that exits the engine. Once that combusted air mixes with frest air it helps to warm up the catlyic convertor quicker so the o2 sensor can get a quicker reading as to the amount of air and fuel to mix to get the engine up to proper and peak running performance. Once the computer gets the correct information, it can adjust the air fuel mixture to open the loop and run properly. Sooo, If your vacuum lines are dry rotted and not allowing a vacuum to be pulled on the kombi valve and shut it off, the valve stays open and the exhaust fumes from the intake reach into the kombi valve and burn up the fragile little rubber diaphram located in the Kombi valve. Since there is no way to shut off the kombi valve, your car stays in the Closed loop and causes it to run hotter and use more fuel. Sooo, if you have dry rotted vacuum lines and have had them for awhile, you have probably burnt up the diaphram in the kombi valve. Since the Kombi valve is injected with hot vapors from the intake and not able to shut off, this causes condisation in the valve that eventually drips down into the plastic coragated hose leading into the big black secondairy air injection pump. If you live in colder climates, this condisation will freeze and bust the Secondairy air injection pump. You don't want to have to replace the pump either because it runs about $350. If you are tripping the check engine light, first start with the vac lines, then the kombi valve and then the sap, then the solanoidj($55) then the relay mounted on the firewall and marked with code 111 ($15) at NAPA. The oem solanoid is made in the usa and is not that expensive. Any questions, just hit me up. I have been working on this P4011 code for about 2 months and have learened ALOT.

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      04-23-2011 02:18 PM #2
      Old news is old news, that's what it is, but thanks anyway.

I see you made two threads, same pattern though - not a single new line?

Try hitting "Enter" every now and then

3. 04-23-2011 04:04 PM #3
      Humm, If what I posted was such "old news", then please, with all due respect, point me to the thread that contains the details that are in mine. Funny thing, i've been searching all the posts that contain any of my interesting details and still come up empty on here, however since I couldn't find anything of use to my particual situation I learned from my own experience. Instead of offering up anything useful like I DID and only having sarcasim for those who actually do try to help others, just say nothing at all. Your replys are as stupid and unuseful as the rest of your posts on here. Really, why do you bother? Wow, that took alot of thinking and planning on you behalf to write. I sure am impressed , how bout you all?

Vehicles
      04-23-2011 04:25 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pollywog68 View Post
      Humm, If what I posted was such "old news", then please, with all due respect, point me to the thread that contains the details that are in mine. Funny thing, i've been searching all the posts that contain any of my interesting details and still come up empty on here, however since I couldn't find anything of use to my particual situation I learned from my own experience. Instead of offering up anything useful like I DID and only having sarcasim for those who actually do try to help others, just say nothing at all. Your replys are as stupid and unuseful as the rest of your posts on here. Really, why do you bother? Wow, that took alot of thinking and planning on you behalf to write. I sure am impressed , how bout you all?
      Really?? Made my day, seriously.

And wow. Bitter? I meant no offense period, but if you want to take it that way - be my guest.
      But no retaliation, sorry.

5. 04-23-2011 04:33 PM #5
      No, I'm not at all bitter, JUST STILL LOOKING FOR THE INFORMATION TO THE "OLD NEWS" YOU SPOKE OF. Humm, Any suggestions on my post of the Transmission situation I posted earlier. Do you have A.N.Y. useful information anyone can use. Were all waiting and would love to hear what your expertiese has to offer. I patiently await YOUR advise as to my proposed tranny symptom.

Vehicles
      04-23-2011 06:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by pollywog68 View Post
      No, I'm not at all bitter, JUST STILL LOOKING FOR THE INFORMATION TO THE "OLD NEWS" YOU SPOKE OF. Humm, Any suggestions on my post of the Transmission situation I posted earlier. Do you have A.N.Y. useful information anyone can use. Were all waiting and would love to hear what your expertiese has to offer. I patiently await YOUR advise as to my proposed tranny symptom.
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      But no retaliation, sorry.
      P.S. Do you not read? Or you are simply feeling froggy today? Once again, I meant no offense.

7. 04-23-2011 06:58 PM #7
      "Do I read?" Yes, I read, I probably have read more forums to date than Carters got liver pills. I just am simply offended when someone like yourself has nothing better to do then to comment on someone elses post or thread in a manner as if you know it all and we are suppose to know that you already know these things we post on here. Now I am not meaning any offense when I ask you this. If you read my post and knew it already, Why would you post what you posted and to what avail were you hoping to achieve. I honestly ask you what did you hope to convey by posting what you did? I propose that question in the most searous manner. Please help me to understand why you did what you did. Could you not have just read it and went on with your day without provoking this entire thread? I have alot knowledge to offer and just when you think people might want to hear or know about something along comes a guy or gal like you. Why should we post anything on here at all, gosh forbid someone else already posted it. I mean come on. This is suppose to be an informative and helpful site. Information is power and knowledge is everything.

Vehicles
      B4V-VR *R.I.P.*, B3V-VR
      04-24-2011 02:46 AM #9
      Wow. Perfect example of how "tone" is one of the many flaws the internet has yet to synchronize with human interaction. I just had to say something.
      Just to straighten out a few things:
      -There are no real B4 Wolfsburg Editions.
      -P4011 code has been covered numerous amounts of time & just has such a variety of fixes (hoses, vac lines, solenoid, Kombi, SAI pump, yadayadayada... yoda).

-People who frequent these threads understand that what was replied meant no harm & was friendly banter, if any sarcasm was to be had.
      -Yes, your contribution is useful for those who are unaware of the strategies on how to use the search function or are new to these parts (aka "tenderfoots").

... I just had to say something
      COMING SOON...!
      Preventative Maintenance is like tying your shoe laces... fools be trippin'

9. 02-20-2013 10:06 PM #10
      One correction: the valve is CLOSED when no vacuum is applied, try it out, no air goes through, connect a vacuum pump and voila, the valve opens.

By the way, the one bolt to get the valve out worked excellent for me, THANKS!