Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Middle School Web Art Web Site

1. 04-25-2011 01:41 AM #1
      I have been milling around the idea of developing a presence on the internet for a school website for years. I never really found anything I liked. Of course there are the myriad of blogs, wikis, etc., but for one reason another I did not find them to suite my needs. So, I discovered Google Sites, which for some reason, I like. I was not looking for anything intricate or fancy, just simple, streamlined, and efficient.

The intent of my post is to share with others in this forum. I won't include the particulars of my school, my experiences, philosophy, or the curriculum unless anyone inquires.

The site is still under construction, although it is viewable by the public. My plan is to get the ball rolling and update with many other aspects and elements including downloadable resources, calendars, content, etc.

In respect to the public accessibility of the site, I am not permitted to post full names of students. The artwork featured will only be recognized by initials and grade. The images can be clicked and enlarged. I encourage you to visit the 6th, 7th, and 8th curriculum pages to view grade level specific artwork for each level (descriptions of which I am editing so they may be rough, and I will include more artwork eventually).

As far as I know, there are few art educators that view and or participate within this forum. Although I have made few posts of student artwork here over the years, it was not my intent to necessarily post this link here. I am initiating this to reach out and connect with any other art educators and share art by young art students with anyone who may be interested.

So please click on the curriculum links, click on the artwork, explore what little is there, and ask questions or make comments.

Here is the link: https://sites.google.com/site/clarks...ddleschoolart/

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS, 2012 Routan SE
      04-25-2011 11:22 AM #2
      My wife is an elementary art school teacher, she is currently out of the class room and writing curriculum for the county, that will eventually be adopted by the whole country. when she was in the class room she and a bunch of other teachers were using http://www.artsonia.com/

3. 04-26-2011 01:51 PM #3
      Hmmm - I had not thought of using Artsonia, although I am slightly familiar with it. However, I am not sure how much control over design that would allow me. Just curious, at what school does your wife teach? I would like to see her site.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS, 2012 Routan SE
      04-26-2011 09:04 PM #4
      she's not currently teaching.. shes at mcps central office in a 5 year position. she never created a site for herself. in talking to her it seems like its the school it self that gets a page, as well as the kids to show their art..

5. 02-04-2012 10:14 PM #5
      Got it up and running. Google is tough, I had to coerce and trick it into doing things I wanted it to do. I am still learning, but I plan on improving. I have linked to flickr for my galleries, which ar still being built. This spring I plan on getting things going full swing, once other obligations are out of the way. Here is the link: https://sites.google.com/a/hcpss.org...ddleschoolart/

In which state and county does your wife work? I teach at Clarksville MS in Maryland. I too have been involved with curriculum, for about 20 years at the state and local level. We recently, and are currently, adopting our curriculum ahead of our state curriculum, of which I have been involved with too. We plan to have as little work to do as possible when the assessment hammer comes down, which might be soon.

That is great your wife is involved with so much. A few years ago I was flown out to Aspen, Colorado for a summit with a few other NAEA bigwigs. Attending were one Laura Chapman and Elliot Eisner. They are the Gods of art education. It was great experience; during the day we talked shop and at night we sipped wine and ate steak and let loose. Chapman is stoic and funny, Eisner is quirky and aloof, the same at 9:00 am as he is at 9:00 pm.

Most recently, and currently, I am involved in rewriting the National Education Association Standards for Art Education. I am sure your wife would be familiar with these. These are standards for visual art education, facilities, curriculum, etc. essential to providing a contemporary visual arts education to students. We are to be finished this spring, and the revised document should be published for the upcoming school year.

Please feel free to pass my info along to your wife, I would love to network. She can PM me too.

Quote Originally Posted by turborave View Post
      My wife is an elementary art school teacher, she is currently out of the class room and writing curriculum for the county, that will eventually be adopted by the whole country. when she was in the class room she and a bunch of other teachers were using http://www.artsonia.com/

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Wagon, 2004 Jetta Sedan
      02-05-2012 11:43 AM #6
      I too am a new(er) art educator. I hae my undergrad in fine art and my MA in Art Education (graduated in 2010). I've been part time teaching at both the HS and Elementary level since then and recently just took over a full time K-4 job in my district. I like that newer standards are coming out, keeps everything fresh for the kids.

I remember the "art" classes that I had in elementary school and remember how "crafty" they were. With that in mind I'm trying to give my kids the complete opposite of what I had. My soon to be wife is also an art educator, and hopefully will have something full time come this summer (crosses fingers). it's tough out there in the education world know, as I know everyone in here knows.

7. 02-05-2012 08:07 PM #7
      It seems you might be from Maryland, from where did you graduate? I have mentored a host of teachers from MICA, Towson, and UMD. I myself graduated undergrad and grad from Towson University.

Gotta love the little ones. They absolutely are the most teachable and open minded of all. Elementary teachers work their butts off, especially in art. I would last about 1 day doing that! I know you have to be like 12 places at once!

The standards where archaic. Some of the language was laughable. Most of the difficulty comes from finding language that describes the vast avalanche of emerging technology. And of course, assessment.

Anyway, if you get a chance check out my page (the wife too) and feel free to comment or just to communicate. What is it like being married to an art teacher? Are they as difficult as aloof as my wife (a reading teacher) says?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBy View Post
      I too am a new(er) art educator. I hae my undergrad in fine art and my MA in Art Education (graduated in 2010). I've been part time teaching at both the HS and Elementary level since then and recently just took over a full time K-4 job in my district. I like that newer standards are coming out, keeps everything fresh for the kids.

I remember the "art" classes that I had in elementary school and remember how "crafty" they were. With that in mind I'm trying to give my kids the complete opposite of what I had. My soon to be wife is also an art educator, and hopefully will have something full time come this summer (crosses fingers). it's tough out there in the education world know, as I know everyone in here knows.

Vehicles
      2005 Honda Civic Si 1988 VW Fox Wagon
      03-20-2012 10:48 PM #8
      As a middle school art teacher, I'm trying to do the same thing concerning a website.

I also remember the "crafty" things we did in class. I now know why we repeated some of the same projects from year to year. I
      Where's the Gem? You'll find it. Everbody does.