Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fuel Pump / Relay Issues on AWP Jetta

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T
      04-27-2011 09:07 PM #1
      I have an issue with a 2005 Jetta GLI. This has happened once before and I thought it was a fuel pump issue, but it apparently was not. The fuel pump does not energize every time the ignition is cycled or the engine is cranking. I am only getting 1.7V at the fuel pump. The FP fuse is good. I have little or no voltage at the fuel pump relay. This condition can come and go. I have not had the issue for about a year, but today after re-connecting the battery (after doing a timing belt job) the pump wont energize. This seems to be a power issue to the relay. Has anyone had any similar issue? BTW, the fuel pump is only 1 year old with less than 10K miles on it and it can be powered by an external power source with no issue.

2. 04-27-2011 10:50 PM #2
      Fuse S163 supplies voltage to the input of the fuel pump relay - it's the 4th big one from the left on top of the battery fuse box. Check the terminals are tight (also not corroded) and check voltage both sides of it.
      Fuse s176 (2nd from left) supplies volts to the ignition switch - might check that's secure too.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T
      04-28-2011 11:04 AM #3
      Checked all that and have voltage on both sides. I get no power at the relay what so ever. I was able to jump the fuel pump and get the car running, however not well. There must be something between the main power wire and the relay. The wires to the relay are mostly an olive color (3 olive with stripes and 1 yellow). Where they connect to the main power supply is not evident. Even the Bently manual track diagrams don't help.

4. 04-28-2011 12:53 PM #4
      According to my Haynes and Bentley - red wire from Fuse S163 should run to threaded connector 502 on relay panel. From there 12 V should run to relay contact 17/30. Are you sure you're referencing a good ground when you measure around the relay?
      The other end of the relay contact 23/87 (Blue wire) should run to fuse 28 for fuel pump.
      The other wires I have are:
      Relay S3/6 lilac/white ---> ECU
      Relay S3/2 red/black----> ignition sw
      Relay S3/4---> ?
      Relay S3/5 Lilac/white ---> Crash signal air bags
      Relay S3/1 brown/Yellow --->control unit display
      Relay S3/3 black ----ign. sw and Fuse 29
      Relay S1/1 Brown ----> ground point E3

Fuel pump relay is no ordinary relay. One of the inputs from airbag,ignition switch or ECU could turn relay off and open contact to pump. Should however have 12 volts on terminal 502 and relay contact 17/30 unless connection is broken. Good luck.