Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: XBOX Live Chit Chat Thread.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 05:37 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Its an easy process. Go to NAMotorsports, wait a half hour, drive off. Thats it. But any warranty you have will most definitely be voided by Langan. I've asked. They are a nice enough dealership, but don't let you get away with anything.

If I were keeping my car I'd probably get APR. But I'm not so I won't.
      I will keep this in mind. The car will most certainy be stock for a long while As all my hard earned money will be going into affording this car. And even I could afford a chip I wouldn't do it until the warrenty runs out... I think thats just a common sense move. Although a chip, intake, exhaust, suspension would be mint. Wouldn't mind new rims either.

Its a MKV.
      As has been mentioned, the main worries will be carbon buildup to to direct injection, and the whole hpfp/cam follower issue. I believe those were remedied by the 08s, so you will just have the carbon buildup issue. From what I've read, there is no true preventative measures to take, you'll just have to suck it up eventually and get the valves cleaned.
      I've had a bunch of issues with mine, but none related to those mentioned above. I think I just got a weird example though. I would definitely inquire more about the accident. They'll obviously say it wasn't major. I'd like to kno wwhat their definition of 'minor' is.

So how do I go about asking about this carbon buildup issue? Is it something they would have looked into in the 112 point inspection? I mean I guess I don't even know what I would say... As for the accident Idk how much THEY really know about it. I feel like the carfax had all the information they can possibly know. Or do you think it goes deeper than that and they really do know
      You mentioned last night that it was a DSG. Check to make sure the DSG transmission service was done. I think its a couple hundred bucks. Its supposed to be done every 40K miles. Considering the mileage and the fact its at a dealership, I would hope they did they service if it hadn't already been done.

Great! I will def. look into the DSG transmission service. I feel like a freaking noob I don't even know what DSG is. I promise I'm not that type of person, if I do get this car I will fully emerse myself into everything there is to know about VW's. I'll be blowing up the MK5 forum

Being in New England, you'll be dealing with crappy weather. When I bought the car I also picked up some blizzaks and steel wheels from Tire rack. With them I am more confident in my car than my wife's awd CRV with all seasons. Other than ground clearance, it'll go through just about anything. My car came with the 17 inch denvers, so what I did was sized down to 16 inch snow tires. because of the increased sidewall, the actual circumference and diamater were largely unchanged.

Yea the tires that are on the car right now are brand spanking new but not all weather purpose tires. The carsalesmen def. said he reccomended picking up winter tires. Ugghhh I hate to think about the salt and snow build on my poor car

Mileage is supposed to be a big positive, but I get nowhere near what others claim. My lifetime is around 22mpg. That may be driving style and terrain though. I'll often drive like a dick and CT is very hilly.

trying to go for a cruise if I get this car.... hope you can keep up AHAHA nah I drive like a ***** but I could def. stand to learn a few things about shifting and when you can go from one gear to the gear etc to get the most power
      If you haven't driven a 6MT yet I would. Hell, if you want to get a feel for what they are like without a salesman watching you you can drive mine (assuming you can drive stick and won't ruin my clutch )

6MT AHAHAHAHAH Bitch Please. You think they sell GLI 2.0T Automatic!? with 207 lbs of torque? I can drive stick but I might burn your clutch a little bit

North American Motorsports ( I think they were/are a sponsor here) are big into VWs and are based in Vernon. Yuo can get any of the programs there...APR, GIAC, REVO. Most people say go with whatever your local reputable shop offers as they are all similar and customer service is what matters. The nice thing is they offer them all so you can just wait for a sale/promo being offered by one of them.

Unfortunately not anytime soon

2. 08-17-2011 06:33 PM #107
      DSG fanboys will beat me up on technicalities, but I am firmly in the camp that no stick = auto...ergo, flappy paddles = automatic. It could Q(uad)SG...i dont care, no 3rd pedal means its just a fancier way of saying auto.

You can drive it if you want. I dont want it to break, but i'm really not attached to this car. Hell, ive been trying to teach my wife to drive a manual on it..how worried can i really be?

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 07:10 PM #108
      DSG fanboys will beat me up on technicalities, but I am firmly in the camp that no stick = auto...ergo, flappy paddles = automatic. It could Q(uad)SG...i dont care, no 3rd pedal means its just a fancier way of saying auto.

You can drive it if you want. I dont want it to break, but i'm really not attached to this car. Hell, ive been trying to teach my wife to drive a manual on it..how worried can i really be?
      Here's the Specs

•2.0L FSI turbocharged I4 engine
      •6-speed DSG transmission w/launch control, Tiptronic, sport mode
      Idk wht this means tho.... because it most certainly has a clutch and I was shifting the car via stick... no paddle shifting.

EDIT**** nevermind I had to read the small print "The features and options listed are for the 2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sdn DSG *Ltd Avail* and may not apply to this specific vehicle."

So the car doesn't have DSG.
      Last edited by Laser04; 08-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.

4. 08-17-2011 07:14 PM #109
      We can clear this all up by answering one question. Did it have a clutch pedal ,or just gas and brake?

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 07:16 PM #110
      Clutch pedal

6. 08-17-2011 07:37 PM #111
      Its not a DSG then...good man.

Vehicles
      '00 Jolf 1.8T, '02 Jetta 1.8T
      08-17-2011 08:53 PM #112
      a chip will not void your warranty. dealerships can't even tell if there is a chip. intakes won't void your warranty either
      |ScArE BeAr MafIa|Low.Life.Society|WetDub|726|XBOX GT:DrNotSoHorrible

Quote Originally Posted by UberDub18t
      Dash invented the double

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 08:59 PM #113
      AHAHAHAH doing a little spring cleaning are we?

Sorry I flooded the Blops thread with car talk. Guess I shoulda started it here in the first place.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 09:00 PM #114
      Its not a DSG then...good man.
      Yea DSG sounds quite gheyyyyy

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 09:25 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Laser04 View Post
      Yea DSG sounds quite gheyyyyy
      you should drive one actually. they are quite fun.

Dash invented the double

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 09:46 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by dashrendar View Post
      you should drive one actually. they are quite fun.
      AHHAHAHA true I guess I did make a hasty generalization right there considering I've never driven one.

Good to know about the Chip/Intake tho

Will an exhaust void a warrenty ?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-17-2011 10:00 PM #117
      nope, exhaust won't void a warranty either.

i like DSG. however, i don't like enough to ever purchase one myself - yet. my moms new MK6 TDI has the DSG box, and it seems to have some issues already at ~7000 miles. i've noticed between third and fourth gear it gets kind of jerky like it's having trouble finding fourth, then it finally grabs. happens under normal/slow acceleration only though.

when i worked at a vw dealership, i had the chance to drive a mk5 GTI six speed to chicago for a dealer trade on a mk5 GTI DSG. so i got to drive/push both cars equally. i can say, stopped in chicago traffic on the highway kind of sucked with the six speed, but that's minor and i can deal with that. the DSG while brilliant and fun, just seemed like a novelty, and had me yearning for a regular six speed after a while.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 10:15 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      just seemed like a novelty, and had me yearning for a regular six speed after a while.
      This entirely.

14. 08-17-2011 10:38 PM #119
      a chip will not void your warranty. dealerships can't even tell if there is a chip. intakes won't void your warranty either
      If its engine warranty work and langan vw knows you are chipped it will most certainly be denied. Whether or not they detect the software is another story.

Everyone knows the law and how they can't legally void warranties unless they prove the mod caused the failure, but you try proving that to the dealer. Theory doesn't always translate into real life. While some are mod friendly, ive never heard that term used to describe langan.

As i mentioned, if i were keeping the car it'd be chipped already. I've been tempted to do it just keep my interest in the car longer, but i probably wont.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-17-2011 10:52 PM #120
      If its engine warranty work and langan vw knows you are chipped it will most certainly be denied. Whether or not they detect the software is another story.

Everyone knows the law and how they can't legally void warranties unless they prove the mod caused the failure, but you try proving that to the dealer. Theory doesn't always translate into real life. While some are mod friendly, ive never heard that term used to describe langan.

As i mentioned, if i were keeping the car it'd be chipped already. I've been tempted to do it just keep my interest in the car longer, but i probably wont.
      AHAHAHAH I'd listen to Ocean, Dash. We live in the same area and it seems like he has a good understanding of these ppl/may have dealt with them. Believe me you I've met the whole freaking bunch at Langan and the sh!t they say and do to try and get you to buy a car is redic. I can't even take these ppl srsly... some of the tactics they try and pull on me has me so offended. I might look like a pushover but I have the brains of Tyrion Lannister . I'll be glad when this is done and over with....

I've always had bad luck, knowing me they'll discover its chipped and I'll lose my warrenty. Guess I'll have plenty of time to start saving for me...kinda

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-18-2011 10:59 AM #121
      I think my current xbox 360 console is starting to signs of a future meltdown. Its having a hard time booting up. It'll freeze up on the XBOX screen before it goes to the dashboard. The disk read error is creeping back. Its my second one, and with all the great games coming out this Fall, might need a fresher system. So I'm stuck between either Astros or a new system....
      XBL Gamertag: New Era Vince

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-18-2011 03:38 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Vince IsA Beast View Post
      I think my current xbox 360 console is starting to signs of a future meltdown. Its having a hard time booting up. It'll freeze up on the XBOX screen before it goes to the dashboard. The disk read error is creeping back. Its my second one, and with all the great games coming out this Fall, might need a fresher system. So I'm stuck between either Astros or a new system....
      Yea I've had my Xbox since 09... shes getting old. The noises are louder, sometimes I'll wake up to 3 flashing read lights, and sometimes it can't read disc.

I'd say go with Astros... who knows you might get lucky and have ur system survive for a lil while longer....

Andybody know anything about FSI engines vs TSI engines I mean screw the differences like chain driven over belt driven... I wanna know about reliability, FSI was the first generation motor and I guess they came out with the TSI engine in 2008.5 to fix some of these problems

18. 08-18-2011 03:56 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Laser04 View Post
      Yea I've had my Xbox since 09... shes getting old. The noises are louder, sometimes I'll wake up to 3 flashing read lights, and sometimes it can't read disc.

I'd say go with Astros... who knows you might get lucky and have ur system survive for a lil while longer....

Andybody know anything about FSI engines vs TSI engines I mean screw the differences like chain driven over belt driven... I wanna know about reliability, FSI was the first generation motor and I guess they came out with the TSI engine in 2008.5 to fix some of these problems
      I always install the games I play consistently onto the harddrive. It may be bro science, but I feel like if it isn't having to spin/read the disk, less moving parts = less heat and less wear/tear on the xbox.

As for FSI vs TSI...my take is this:

I keep hearing that TSI is more reliable. I have no way of verifying this, but its what I've heard. I've got FSI. When I bought it, I read over and over how they were so much more reliable than the 1.8T. After a few years on the market we started hearing about the 2.0T FSI issues. I have begun questioning if this was just a function of time. Yes the FSI is more reliable initially, but long term is it really that reliable? Same with TSIs. Yes, it might be an improvement over the FSI, but they haven't exactly been around long enough to make any meaningful conclusions. Anecdotally? Sure, they are great...for the 2-3 years and 30K-50K miles they've been out...but what car isnt?

VW fans will say its the most reliable to date...which is a good thing. But an improvement over atrocious isn't exactly high praise. Honda fans will still scoff at it, as the most reliable VW is barely able to match the most problem prone Honda. Unfortunately for me I fall in the middle, so I have no idea what to think. I was a honda guy who made the switch. While I love my GTI, I am not blinded to its negatives and will likely be shopping outside both brands for my next car. I am pissed at Honda and will NOT be giving them my money, and I'm not convinced that VW ahs turned the corner on reliability. If I get another VAG product it'll likely be an Audi.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-18-2011 04:24 PM #124
      Well at least what you wrote is some what comforting. If you drive a FSI then I'm sold Ha. And so true, I mean what product, no matter what it is, doesn't have problems

I mean the carbon build issuse does sound like a bitch and around $800 to fix when the time comes. I might have to inquire about about this....

Whats this PCV issue I read about somewheres? something to do with something near the turbo Sorry I'm a ra-tard when it comes to cars.

And a cam follower issue?

Thanks for your help Ocean btw
      Last edited by Laser04; 08-18-2011 at 04:26 PM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-18-2011 06:15 PM #125
      the carbon build-up and PCV valve issues go hand in hand.

for the FSI engines, they didn't really have an effective PCV valve that allowed proper venting/re-circulation of the oil. compounding that with the fuel injectors not being before the valves to enable cleaning, the oil caked on the intake portion of the head and valves severely reducing flow area and performance. i think this was remedied for the TSI engines, but i know a lot of FSI guys have installed catch cans to alleviate the issue.

this is from an RS4, which had bad carbon build-up, but this is what it looks like:

cam follower issues just seem to be premature wear on the follower for the HPFP. some cases even have shown the cam followed to completely wear through. again, i believe this came with early (MY06) cars and has since been addressed with a TSB. here is a pretty good thread with pictures to illustrate the issue:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showth...t=cam+follower

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-18-2011 10:17 PM #126
      that looks like a diseased infested vagina

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-19-2011 01:32 AM #127
      So I decided not to go with the FSI engine... found this little gem tho... calling tomorrow on it... pray to god that its a TSI engine. Of course they don't post any pictures of engine but 2 of the trunk space

http://vwofhartford2.tru-m.com/Vehic...-CT/1088194563

23. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-19-2011 01:53 AM #128
      good luck man. at least this one has a lot lower mileage than the last.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      08-19-2011 02:00 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      good luck man. at least this one has a lot lower mileage than the last.
      Yea lower mileage, accident free, still one leased owner, exterior looks way better, interior doesn't look as nice as the other one but meh that doesn't bother me, interest rate is at 1.99% as opposed to 4.99 so I mean

I'd look into GTI's but it appears to me that GLI's aren't considered sports cars where as GTI's are so I'm trying to keep insurance down.

Unless you guys know of some other VW's I should check out?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-23-2011 10:27 AM #130
      Thinking about picking up Deus Ex: Human Revolution tonight.

Anyone else picking this up?

Vehicles
      08-23-2011 11:28 AM #131

nah, too many other good games coming out to save my money for.

Dash invented the double

27. 08-23-2011 11:33 AM #132

I'm just going through older games that fell victim to my MW2/BLOPS addiction. Currently about 2/3 done with Assassins Creed 2. May pick up Dragon Age and something else in the $10-$15 range to tide me over until the wave of new games in the fall.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-23-2011 12:09 PM #133
      nah, too many other good games coming out to save my money for.
      I feel the same way. But I'm bored with the games I have now except for Nier, which took about 6 to 8 hours to get interesting...

I'm just going through older games that fell victim to my MW2/BLOPS addiction. Currently about 2/3 done with Assassins Creed 2. May pick up Dragon Age and something else in the $10-$15 range to tide me over until the wave of new games in the fall.
      The only real backlog I have is GTA IV. It got old a little too fast for me. Haven't felt the need to put it back in and play it.

Vehicles
      08-23-2011 12:15 PM #134
      If you guys want to try another FPS, I suggest Crysis 2. Gameplay is awesome, graphics and sound are amazing! MP is not too bad. I need to finish the campaign myself.

Dash invented the double

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-23-2011 12:28 PM #135
      Forgot about Crysis... hmmmmm... Might do that instead. I could use a break from FPSs though...

31. 08-23-2011 12:32 PM #136
      Assassins creed has been a nice change of pace.

When I needed a break last summer I played Mass Effect 2. I never tried Dragon Age, but its by the same company and I hear its basically just Mass Effect for LARP nerds.

Not sure what I'll pick up. There are a ton of games I've meant to pick up but never have. I'll probably stop by gamestop this week and rummage through the used bin.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-23-2011 12:41 PM #137
      Assassins creed has been a nice change of pace.

When I needed a break last summer I played Mass Effect 2. I never tried Dragon Age, but its by the same company and I hear its basically just Mass Effect for LARP nerds.

Not sure what I'll pick up. There are a ton of games I've meant to pick up but never have. I'll probably stop by gamestop this week and rummage through the used bin.
      I have both Mass Effects. I'm holding off on completing my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 being a Renegade until early next year. Mass Effect 3 can't come soon enough. Dragon Age never really caught my eye. Heard it was good though. Bioware NEEDS to make KOTOR a console game again! Damn I loved playing those on the xbox. Still have them too!

08-23-2011 01:11 PM #138

MKVI Shadow Metallic Blue 6 spd 4 door GTi
      MKVI Uni Black 6 spd Jetta TDi

34. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-23-2011 02:23 PM #139
      i've never played Gears of War.

friends have played it and liked it, and i really liked what i've seen in the past with previews/gameplay, so maybe i'll have to pick this one up.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Focus
      08-23-2011 04:26 PM #140
      Got ROCKED by the earthquake. Never felt anything like that before.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast