Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MKV EXHAUST SYSTEM HELP with diagram

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      04-30-2011 03:48 PM #1
      ok can someone clear this up for me. i just bought a cat back, want to change the resonator to a quiet flow so i can have a tone but not a loud tin can popoping exhaust. I have already SEARCHED through thread after thread here and im still confused . i have been looking for diagrams etc to see what needs to be switched out. i found this one on vwparts. i just want to make sure these are the parts you guys are deleting or changing "resonator" wise. i dont know why vw has to make our exhausts so complex with 3 different muffler types but here is what i found. circled in red are the catback and resonator correct? and the green one is a mid muffler?

hopefully this thread will help everyone out who needs to know, add some pics if you have them and any info you know. thanks for any help in advance guys
      Last edited by AKdub914; 04-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.
      AKdub | I NY * Now in Dallas TX | THREE.8.WERKS...Ferdinand's Crew | Wheel Build | IG: @AKrapheal

Vehicles
      2008 VW rabbit
      04-30-2011 04:58 PM #2
      the Red one you circled with the number 1 by it is the cat. Idk about the rest of the exhaust system because the rabbits have 2 mufflers and one resonator where the jetta has one muffler and one resonator. My guess is that the one circled in green is the resonator, and the last one in red is a rear muffler.
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      I'd take this engine during the zombie apocalypse over anything else VW/Audi has manufactured. These things can go to hell and back without issue

- Jeremy.

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      04-30-2011 05:18 PM #3
      ok thanks that clears a littlebit up. i also have be searching some more.. to find that the size of the resonator i want to get is a Bottle Style Resonator, 2.25" inlet/outlet x 12" long.

bottle resonator
      AKdub | I NY * Now in Dallas TX | THREE.8.WERKS...Ferdinand's Crew | Wheel Build | IG: @AKrapheal

Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta Auto
      04-30-2011 06:21 PM #4
      Green is the resonator (suitcase) and the top red is the cat and the bottom red the muffler. Delete the green and you have a resonator free exhaust. Keep it and throw a more aggresive muffler in back and you can get the "non tinny" sound you want personally I have the Neuspeed catback (which was the first released when I got my car) and currently have a USP hi-flow cat and Evo Header and love the sound

Hope you have luck with your exhaust

Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta Auto
      04-30-2011 06:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by AKdub914 View Post
      ok thanks that clears a littlebit up. i also have be searching some more.. to find that the size of the resonator i want to get is a Bottle Style Resonator, 2.25" inlet/outlet x 12" long.

bottle resonator
      Back in the day on the US cars I think what you are talking about was called a bullet muffler

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      04-30-2011 06:44 PM #6
      thanks guys, i have a 2.5 magnaflow catback on the way. i know my piping is 2.25 but the shop can fix that with an adapter of some sort. i just have to find better tips aswell. youtube and the vids i have seen dont do justice with res delets and catbacks. its too loud for me. i drive alot, and have my girl or family in the car but i miss the sporty tone

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      04-30-2011 07:06 PM #7
      just wanted to add this from another thread. just for info for anyone looking

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      there are three things on the stock 2.5L

left to right

muffler, mid muffler, and resonator

taking the mid muffler out sounds good.... the resonator, not som much IMO
      Thanks BluMagic. miss the car man

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-03-2011 08:38 AM #8
      Part 1 arrived today:

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-06-2011 07:58 PM #9
      just looking at tips to add to my exhaust... found this diagram for those who dont understand the measurements

thought id share

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-11-2011 08:52 AM #10
      Well my resonator came in this morning. Vibrant performance 4" barrel.. 14" long 2.25" piping. Looks sooo clean i almost dont want to touch it

Last edited by AKdub914; 05-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-12-2011 10:34 AM #11
      what's getting replaced:

Resonator:

And last muffler:

An under car pic for you guys since i could never find a good one:
      Last edited by AKdub914; 05-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-17-2011 12:56 PM #12
      Ok so the shop just installed my magnaflow in place of the rear muffler and replaced my resonator with the vibrant... Still sounds exactly stock.. No tone wat so ever.

Next im gonna remove that second muffler and replace the pipe.. See how it turns out.

This is what i am going to do

Cat-->vibrant resonator-->2.5 pipe--> magnaflow. Ill post sound clips n input

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      05-19-2011 02:04 PM #13
      Here's the outcome

Stock:

And custom:

Hopefully this helps anyone attempting an exhaust build in the future