VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

All this has happened before, and it will happen again. g60racer's new Corrado project begins!

92K views 376 replies 78 participants last post by  g60racer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully 4th time is the charm!

After an exhaustive country-wide search, I finally found a Corrado that met my rather picky specifications to continue the Corrado tradition in my life.

My first and second experiences with Corrados were the G60 powered beasts that served as my daily drivers and track queens...
#1 - Dragon Green Pearl 90 G60 (I know, that color was not supposed to exist that year but there you go - thanks Karmann!). Had her only about a year, sold her to a Marine who made me an obscene offer after I ripped off a 13.7 at LACR in her.

#2 - Helios Pearl Blue G60. Pandora was the 15 year G60 veteran that rolled with me down the cliff in February. 226whp on the Dynojet, 304k miles... she will be missed.
When I first got her:

After a few years of hard driving:

After restoration:

And after the crash down a cliff in Malibu:

Corrado #3 - My wife had a Flash Red 92 VR6 automatic, Brigitte, who treated us very well, and we sold her with only 60k miles on the clock... still kicking myself for that move, she was immaculate.

Anyways, rather than jump back on the G60 wagon, I decided to go VR6 again for Corrado number four, and this time I jumped in with the 93+ interior. Before people boo, I did decide to go for the nice rare VR6 automatic again on purpose... this time out, the Corrado is not going to be a track star, but a daily driver cruiser with traffic in mind. My wife also misses driving hers, so this new one is a compromise that we can both enjoy :)

Found this one here on vortex, located in Minnesota and had her shipped out to San Diego over Easter. She's an early 93 with a distributor but the updated interior, cold weather package and factory CD changer. She arrived on Thursday night and I've just begun to give her the once-over, hitting up all the maintenance areas that need addressing before I begin modifications. Only thing that looks to have been played with is someone painted rasta colors on the engine cover... which shall soon be repainted to remedy that.

In honor of some of my favorite movie redheads, we've named her Scarlett Leeloo Dallas Multipass. Yes, the car has four names. :p

Here she is, bone stock before I've done any work to her, out with my kids who will hopefully get to drive her at some point!!

See less See more
#77 ·
Think I found the evap system leak: right at the fuel door, behind the rubber gasket there is a whole funky plastic system that the evap system hose connects to. Rather than go to a simple nipple connector on it, it goes to what might be some sort of check valve - not sure.

The valve or whatever it is had lifted out of its housing and was just sitting there. I sealed it with RTV silicone and put it back together. Hopefully that will be that.

In other news, finally got it titled in California today!! WOOT.
DMW counter person was like, wait - you bought it in March but just now registering it?
I responded - it's an 18 year old VW, it took that long to get it running! :)

#78 ·
Got to drive her on the racetrack at Del Mar this week!!

I was performing with Weird Al Yankovic, and they allowed me to drive my car on the track to park right next to the Grand Stage on the track itself. Took the opportunity to snap a few shots!

#81 ·
Thanks! MN plates have gone away... right now I have no plates at all. Will wait til I get my CA plate in 4-6 months, then request my vanity plates, which will take another 4-6 months... so I should get almost a full year of no plates!

#83 ·
LOL yes, funny thing is I'm friends with quite a few of the folks in that Triumph video.

That sort of thing happens when you're on the Comic-Con Committee, not to mention in many sci-fi & Star Wars clubs... :)

#90 ·
Transplanted the Momo Corse exhaust recovered from Pandora's wreck onto Leeloo!

Catback 2.25", removed stock resonator and mid muffler. Despite that, it's still a pretty quiet exhaust. The Momo muffler has a lot of packing in it, really subdued bassy sound. The intake is louder than the exhaust at WOT. Shouldn't get me in trouble with law enforcement. :)

#95 ·
Thanks! It passes the wife test. Not too loud, but loud enough to make me happy.

Next on the project list:

*Install Neuspeed/H+R sport springs & Koni adjustable shocks

*Refinish Pandora's Recaro seats (gotta clean some more blood off them) and install them in Leeloo

*Passat B4 glass moonroof install

*dye headliner & sunvisors black

*finish installing Alpine amp & Bazooka tube subwoofer

*tint windows & smoke upper half of tail lights

... & finally, the winter project: *rip apart dash, install new AC evap core & heater core

And for good measure I need to take one more trip up to Pandora's crash site to look for my missing HRE wheel. Have confirmed with tow truck driver & wrecking yard that it was not retrieved with the wreck, so it's still somewhere out there.

#96 ·
And for good measure I need to take one more trip up to Pandora's crash site to look for my missing HRE wheel. Have confirmed with tow truck driver & wrecking yard that it was not retrieved with the wreck, so it's still somewhere out there.
rent a metal detector? would they have enough range to point you in the right direction of a giant metal wheel?

#97 ·
That's a good question. I've only used them at the beach... not sure how well they work in scrub brush, but maybe worth a try!!!

We'll *definitely* be bringing machetes next time to get through said brush. Just waiting for the temps to get a bit lower before we head back up there.

#98 ·
love the exhaust and triumph.

also, i have a .2.5" gen1 nuespeed exhaust on mine and i really like the sounds of it, very quiet and only really nicely audible when i get on it. now if i could just get rid of the goofy looking nuespeed tip it would be great.

car looks good.

how r u enjoying the vr compared to your g60?

#99 ·
It's our second VR6 Corrado, pretty tame compared to the G60 but that's what we were shooting for. Am enjoying the 93+ interior. I like the part throttle torque, very nice for daily driving.

Compared to the G60 or the R32 it's pretty slow... iirc, our last VR6 with the same basic setup dynoed 151whp, compared to the G60's 226whp or the R32's 248whp. I haven't chipped this VR6 yet, so it's probably still down in the 140whp range.

Still, it's a fun car. :) Makes the right noises, has the right feel. Will handle much better as soon as the suspension is on it, and even more so when I can get those 225/40-16's on.

#100 · (Edited)
Tomorrow's to-do list:

*install Koni's & H+R sport springs, new strut bearings

*install Girling G60 2-piston calipers & ECS SS brake lines

*flush & bleed brake system with fresh Ate brake fluid

*bypass throttlebody coolant lines

*clean & pressure test Evaporator core, courtesy of Hubbell (thanks Rick!)

#101 ·
and what i actually completed:

*installed Koni's & H+R sport springs, new strut bearings :)

*installed Girling G60 2-piston calipers

*flushed brake system with fresh Ate brake fluid but screwed up the bleeding process

*cleaned Evaporator core

Stock suspension was in bad shape. Both rear shocks were blown and had leaked oil all over themselves. Springs were rusty & corroded. Front shocks were rusty.

Stock brake rotors were worn badly.

Installed the Koni adjustables and H+R sport springs without any issues. Also installed my Autotech rear upper stress bar.

Girling G60 calipers went on easily with my Zimmerman cross drilled rotors. Cleaned up the ABS sensors while I was in there. Painted the rear calipers to match the fronts.

THEN... did the major faux pas and forgot to have someone actually pump the pedal while I was bleeding the front brakes. I used my Motiv pressure bleeder for the fronts, but neglected to put pressure on the pedal (big no no) so the pedal feel is squisy & vague. Bleh. Guess what I'll be doing over tomorrow afternoon!

Didn't need to do the ABS pump bleed for the rears - the pressure bleeder worked just fine for them. I still did the ABS pump method just to be sure any air in the ABS pump got worked through, but it was overkill. But... as I mentioned, I'll need to rebleed it to get it right.

Will need an alignment this coming week to bring everything into spec (way too much front camber how I set it up). However, very happy with the driving feel. Dramatically different from the stock worn out stuff.

Pix!

Koni's & H+Rs ready to go on!

Nasty old stock suspension

Leeloo up in the air

Installation of the Autotech rear upper stress bar. Dremeled out lower parts of speaker trays so I can easily make adjustments.

New suspension & brakes installed!

How Leeloo sits now. Properly lowered.

#104 ·
Looking good man :thumbup:

...but I would have expected a "cleaner" solution for the below :(
Looks a bit ghetto if I'm being honest...

Installation of the Autotech rear upper stress bar. Dremeled out lower parts of speaker trays so I can easily make adjustments.

#105 · (Edited)
^That pic is just to show the accessibility with the speaker popped out. With the speaker in place, the tray itself looks unmolested. It's just the plastic "cage" underneath the speaker that has been removed, so once I pop out the speaker, I have direct access to the adjuster.

Here's how it looks with the speakers popped back in and the tray in place. Can't tell anything is going on at all!

#106 ·
^That pic is just to show the accessibility with the speaker popped out. With the speaker in place, the tray itself looks unmolested. It's just the plastic "cage" underneath the speaker that has been removed, so once I pop out the speaker, I have direct access to the adjuster.
Got it :thumbup: ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.