VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Root Beer's Street/Strip S2 N/A++ 8v

35K views 275 replies 55 participants last post by  root beer 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a couple shots of my 2k11 Grassroots challenge project.

I got this car as a project that was never completed by a buddy of mine. It had a stock counterflow with a worked head, halfworking MS setup, and alot of other things lacking reliability/finalization in regards to the powertrain. He did however take care of braking, bushings, and all that jazz. I rattle canned it white....it was tan and grey and rust and varying degrees of peeling on the tan.

83 Scirocco
-obd1 aba motor on obd2 motronic with mild port work, 268 cam, and a fairsized wet shot of nitrous(zex smartbox)
-4k trans with phantom grip shim kit
-Maserati biturbo 14x6's wrapped in 195/45 t1-r's(soon to be polished)
-Beat beat beat h&r coilovers
-deleted sunroof and spare tire well, and most other things

The challenge is in october, and there's no wiring in the car, so i've got a little work and testing to do until race day.

LMK what you guys think. :thumbup:

See less See more
#205 ·
Well ya know.. You're not gonna make any power with that short runner, so you should sell it to me pronto..:laugh:

All you really need is 150 hpz in an mk1 for them to be quick. My turbo setup was too much. But whatever. I'm gonna vr the yellow one pretty soon so watch for that thread ;)

#210 · (Edited)
Got the thing to run off of 7 relays, a few inline fuse, a toggle switch, and a push button start.

I got these bitchin little Bus Blocks. I have 3 under the dash, one for a good ground, one for a constant power, and one for switched power. They have plastic covers, which i painted black, red and orange. Hooking things up is a total breeze.

It's all mounted on a piece of cutting board material that my grandfather used to use for everything. I'll get pictures, but i'm wanting to order some nylon wrap from mcmaster for everything.

Once i redo the lighting, i can throw my fusebox in the garbage :)

I can't wait to start putting some miles on after wednesday. Honestly, not even super concerned with what it makes at this point.

#213 · (Edited)
Well, ****. More crank sensor problems!

I've been doing alot of work on the car. We went over to a local mustang dyno to do some pulls, and hopefully get the car fully tuned this evening.

Starting out, adjusting some fuel maps got everything running much more smoothly all over, transitioning started to sound much cleaner.

At around 5500 RPM, we were loosing crank signal all of a sudden. Watching the Miss counter, discrepancies between cam and crank sensor, we could see that as we adjusted sensor voltage at each rpm range, the amount of hits would vary. Go too high, lots of misses, go to low, lose pickup completely.

Apparently most ecu's have this garbage configured for common sensors. Haltech wants you to use an ocilloscope to figure out the voltage at each rpm. My tuner is going to be talking to the Haltech people again tomorrow. This is kinda bull****, serious waste of dyno time....$.

On the bright side, the motor sounds really healthy. I love the sound. This particular Mustang dyno is affectionately called the heartbreaker. I'm not as concerned with the dyno number as the MPH, so i don't really care. But, we never put any timing to it, but it made 121ftlbs at ~3k one one pull. At ~5k, it made 103whp, again with no timing.

Just to reiterate what's on this motor at this point.

-Stock OBD1 block
-Ported obd1 stock valve head, decked .060" for 11:1 compression
-276 cam
-Short runner intake
-1.75" 4-1 header with a 2.25 TT catback
-19lb injectors, CIS fuel pump
-stock obd2 throttle body
-stock 8v flywheel and clutch
-2h 3.94 trans
-Sequential injection on Haltech

Dirty ****ing car.

#216 ·
Scored a New/used TT 298 cam in the classifieds. As i've vowed to buy as many things used as i can, i had to pull the trigger.

Down the road, after springs, rod bolts, and lifter bore clearancing, we'll see what stock valves will do with that cam. :)

#226 ·
So, we've been working hard trying to get this car sorted.

All of this might have been a cam sensor issue after all.

Right now, we have it running batch fire, and it revs all the way out with very few misses.

Parking lot, open diff burnout drifting is too much fun, and the car feels pretty damn quick even with 20 deg of timing.

I'm excited.....

Still sorting drivability stuff whenever i get the chance to poke at it. I need to finish wiring gauges, and finish redoing the lighting harnesses.

Perhaps tomorrow!

Also, looking at my finances, i think i can get everything on it to dyno with a 100 shot on the 276 cam. I'm going to decide on the 298, and combine it with a few other engine bits when that goes in.

#227 ·
Getting on the Dyno tomorrow. Not an absolute hell hole this time.

My crank issues have straightened out in batch fire. The car feels really quick even making the uninspiring amount of power it's making right now. I still have a cam sensor issue if i try to run sequential, but honestly i'm done ****ing with it for awhile. I just want to beat it up.

I'll do me best for pics/video!

#231 ·
Dyno aborted the morning of. Intermittant crank signal misses even with the same settings in the ecu, day to day. I can usually straighten it out after the car warms up and with a few voltage threshold adjustments, but misses like this are a problem. Especially if i ever want to put a bottle on the car.

Finishing a few things this afternoon, and leaving it with my tuner tomorrow. First time i think i've ever left a car of mine with somebody. :(

Got pulled over twice in the past 3 days by the way, lol. The whole no bumper thing grabs too much police attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.