VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Scirocco History

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      02-01-2012 05:43 PM #51
      Ooooo... It's a long story:

My first car in 1983 was a '75 Scirocco, and...

...Oh. I guess it's not a long story. That's all that happened, and that was that

Vehicles
      a couple o dubs
      02-01-2012 05:47 PM #52
      LAME STORY ALERT

Bought used in 2002 still have it!!!
      Last edited by LubsDaDubs; 02-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
      Its hard to make a comeback if you've never left

Bad Pennies......We turn up everywhere!!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Volvo 940 Wagon
      02-01-2012 06:14 PM #53
      My first car was a Passat GLX which I liked a lot because it had 200hp and heated seats. As a high schooler, these things were important to me. Unfortunately, I crashed it on a post-rainstorm oily road and spent a few years driving a Honda and then a Cherokee, both of which were fine cars. In college I purchased a 1979 Rabbit diesel for $400 and tried to get it to run. But then I ran out of money and sold it before I could ever get it started... however, the bug was planted.

I started looking for a running diesel VW but didn't manage to find one. What I did find, however, was a 1987 16v Scirocco! What a shape! I drove up to Connecticut and paid too much for the thing and drove it for a good year or so. Here it is, in its prime:

Through that car I found my way to this forum where I met a guy named Jim who offered to help me do some basic maintenance on my car. That turned into a 9 hour day in his garage learning a TON about tools, cars, safety, etc... my car got new shifter bushings, new engine seals almost all the way around, and a lot of scrutiny. Turned out that the car was covered in rust underneath, had a 2.0l block swapped in, Autotech cams, and a massive Shine racing swaybar in the back.

After driving it for awhile I sold it to a friend because I wanted to upgrade to a nicer, less rusty Scirocco. This took longer than expected, but I eventually ended up in this:

Another '87 16v! Again, I overpaid and had to replace some tie-rods, balljoints, and other things before I was happily cruising in a Scirocco again. I enjoyed this car, but eventually it blew a CV joint, sat for a month, and then never started again... I sold it in frustration and spent two years driving boring cars... all seemed lost...

Until one day I was idly perusing the Scirocco classifieds and found a very beat up 1984 Wolfsburg Scirocco! I went up and looked at it, did NOT overpay (finally!) and found myself back in another Scirocco:

It needs quite a lot of work, but I've made some progress already and can, at the least, drive it comfortably.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

Vehicles
      81 Rocco,80 widebody Rocco track bitch, 81 Rocco project, 84 Mk1 Jetta coupe, 1980 Rabbit 2dr Westy
      02-01-2012 06:44 PM #54
      1982 was my last year in college, and I was working full time at the same time I was going to school. My girlfriend Nicole at that time was offered a brand new 82 Honda Prelude, she had a car, and I didn't
      So I started to shop for a used car, and stopped at two models:
      Datsun 240Z
      VW Scirocco

Don't know exactly why, but they were in my taste range.

After going to see many used 240Z's, none of them had me hooked, mostly because of mechanical or rust issues.

I ended up by finding this one;
      I "lived" in that car for the first two years!
      As soon as the 83 GTI came, I was on the hunt for a JH swap, with the euro downpipe.
      Kept the 4 speed, as the 5 speed boxes were over $1K at any junk yard in 83-84.

I then installed Boge gas shocks, rear sway bar, and a Volvo CIS injection & metering plate.

What memories, driving the hell out of the car, even in winter:
      I would wake up during snow storms downtown Montreal at 3AM, get dressed, jumped in the car, and drifted in the downtown streets until 5-6AM, right before traffic started!

The culprite of my Mk1 addicition:

Vehicles
      1988 Scirocco 2.0 16V (gone)
      02-01-2012 08:40 PM #55
      Let's see... I was adopted in 1986. My Dad had a Substitutes and my Mom had a Dodge Colt. She hated that thing. She used to tell me stories of her diesel Rabbit from college thY used to catch on fire on a regular basis. She left it on for on the Brooklyn Bridge one winter.

1992 my Dad got a Passat wagon 16v. I loved the look of the front with no grill. It went to the shop one day and my dad got a Green 87 Scirocco as a loaned. LOVE!!!!!!

Had a bunch of crap till about 2006. Got a free 1992 Passat sedan. 91k. Put 2 fuel pumps in it, got all the bugs out, and put a nice set of Hella round five on it. 93k it was totaled in an accident.

Then I had a stripped (no interior, just 2 front seats and dash) 87 Cabrio. Drove it for the winter then sold it.
      Then I had a 1992 Cabrio Black white top, white leather, nice white BBS time. Sold that for a Goldwing.

Went a few years with out a VW. Then about 3 weeks ago traded a 1992 Dodge Sahdow for an 88 16v that needs a head gasket. Taking a 3 hour round trip drive on Saturday to pick up a 91 2.0 16v to put in.

And so it continues....

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1985 Scirocco, original owner
      02-02-2012 02:50 AM #56
      So, I took my 1984 Rabbit in for 15K service and there, on the showroom floor, sat a brand new, 1985 Scirocco. Flash silver, black leather, nearly every option available, and it became mine on April 26, 1985!

At age six to nine I fixed everything, each year, in order to drive it from Atlanta to New Hampshire for annual vacation. At age nine it graduated from a carport to a garage (and a wife who doesn't drive stick). At age ten, it finally became my secondary car. For a while it suffered from a cold running problem that was finally resolved at age fifteen. Encouraged, at age sixteen I again fixed everything, but it continued a life of leisure.

At age 22, it got a new sport suspension, tires, all fluids, belts, hoses, and other assorted parts in preparation for first trip to Cincy 2007 with my then 10 year old son.
      (http://scirocco.org/list/ohio2k7/main.php?g2_itemId=42)
      (http://scirocco.org/list/ohio2k7/main.php?g2_itemId=865)
      Then, at age 23, a complete transmission rebuild prior to Cincy trip #2 (via “Tail of the Dragon”).

Today at age 27 it remains mostly a garage queen, sharing space with a 540i, a G37, and assorted other cars. My son has his shiny new learners permit and of all our cars, the Scirocco is his favorite and the one car we cannot ever sell. We don’t dare daily drive it, but we keep it repaired and original. Hopefully we will take another father son road trip to Cincy again this summer, with him helping to drive this time.

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      02-02-2012 10:01 AM #57
      I was 21...I walked into the garage and I saw an OPEL GT make furious love to a RABBIT, the offspring being a 'fart of hot wind' or something.
      Been driving one since 1980.
      51 Sciroccos later, still a voyeur!

Last edited by Paul@VWvortex; 02-08-2012 at 11:45 AM.
      The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco and a few new BMWs
      02-02-2012 11:55 AM #58
      you need 2 more Hal.... make it an even '53' (wink wink,,,, 53,,,, )

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      02-03-2012 01:22 AM #59
      In 1984 I went with a friend and because of the weather we didn't ride motorcycles, he's like "Lets take the Scirocco" - a lime green 1980 or 81 rocco.

Fastforward to 1993, during a heavily expensive divorce a buddy of mine asked me to fix his daughters new car. He picked it up and dropped it off at my house on the way back.

He couldn't afford my $250 fee for changing out the CV Joints so he gave me teh car for $750 MORE ($1000 total).

Had her ever since. I have one minor thing left on the restore - and that's the trunk cover getting re-covered.
      If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      02-03-2012 12:38 PM #60
      Not sure how I missed this thread the first time? Anyway, here's my history (copied and pasted from my "10 years on the vortex" thread
      I was a bored high school senior and joined the VW Vortex. My first car was an '86 Scirocco 8v hand-me-down that my dad bought in '93. The little 8v ran great...until I overheated it, melting the cylinder head.

My dad made me help him fix it. He worked such long hours back then, it was more like a privilege to spend time with him. I joined the Vortex to learn more about diagnosing problems, which I still struggle with today.

At one point I had three Sciroccos: my 8v, a silver 16v parts car, and the 16v that I drive today.

My mom listed my 8v on craigslist because she thought I had too many cars. Then, the silver 16v had no title, and the radiator support was pretty torn up, so it got recycled.

The car I've driven for the last 5 years has treated me well. The original owner gave it to me since she couldn't sell it with 270,000 miles on it.

I've added a few ding and dents over the years. One day I hope to make this my winter car, and find another project for the weekend.

That'll have to happen after college, though.

Thanks for reading
      Ben
      '88 Scirocco 16v
      (][__][_]===W===[_][__][)

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco and a few new BMWs
      05-06-2012 11:27 PM #61
      up

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      05-07-2012 04:19 PM #62
      Addendum to what started it for me...

1983 I bought this 1979 wabbit...wrecked it and sold it for what I paid for it, but then I went onto a Datsun b210 for many years until 1993...

If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123